What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wildcard Game Thread - Baltimore Ravens at Miami Dolphins (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pasquino

Footballguy
:goodposting:

Injuries of note:

BALTIMORE:

WR Derrick Mason (shoulder) - questionable - NO practice (but reportedly will play)

WR Mark Clayton (knee) - questionable - NO practice (but reportedly will play)

PK Matt Stover (ankle) - questionable - NO practice (but reportedly will play)

TE Todd Heap (back) - questionable - LIMITED in practice

RB Ray Rice (calf) - questionable - LIMITED in practice

LB Antwan Barnes (shoulder) - questionable - LIMITED in practice

LB Jarret Johnson (calf) - questionable - LIMITED in practice

S Ed Reed (thigh) - questionable - LIMITED in practice

CB Samari Rolle (ankle) - questionable - LIMITED in practice

CB Fabian Washington (toe) - questionable - LIMITED in practice

MIAMI:

TE David Martin (head) - questionable - limited in practice

DE Randy Starks (ankle) - questionable - limited in practice

It's been a great ride all season for Phinsfans, I hope it last another week, but to go from 1-15 to 11-5, division winner, it really is something.

For Miami to win, here are the keys to the game.

1. Cannot turn the ball over. It is so fundamental but Miami who I believe set the record for fewest turnovers in a season will need to be almost perfect today.

2. No penalties. They cannot start off with 5 penalties in the 1st quarter like they did against the Jets last week. No mistakes, no penalties.

3. They must stop the run, or at least contain it. Especially on 1st down. If the Ravens are operating in 2nd and 5, 2nd and 3, 3rd and 2...that does not add up to success for Miami.

4. They need to try and expose Flacco as a rookie QB in the playoffs for the first time. Be it a couple of interceptions, a couple of big sacks with a turnover added in, the Miami defense must make its presence known.

For Baltimore to win it is pretty simple.

1. Establish the run

2. Be a ball hawk on defense

The Ravens have a much easier path today, but Miami has bucked it all year.

Final Score...and leading heavy with the heart

Miami 16...Baltimore 13

It's been a great ride all season for Phinsfans, I hope it last another week, but to go from 1-15 to 11-5, division winner, it really is something.

1. Cannot turn the ball over. It is so fundamental but Miami who I believe set the record for fewest turnovers in a season will need to be almost perfect today.

2. No penalties. They cannot start off with 5 penalties in the 1st quarter like they did against the Jets last week. No mistakes, no penalties.

3. They must stop the run, or at least contain it. Especially on 1st down. If the Ravens are operating in 2nd and 5, 2nd and 3, 3rd and 2...that does not add up to success for Miami.

4. They need to try and expose Flacco as a rookie QB in the playoffs for the first time. Be it a couple of interceptions, a couple of big sacks with a turnover added in, the Miami defense must make its presence known.

1. Establish the run

Miami 16...Baltimore 13
Agree with everything but the bolded. The Ravens have as much working against them as for them. I think the heat is going to be tough on them. not to mention the Dolphins play tough & have revenge working for them. I picked the Ravens by the same score, but I'm not incredilby confident about the outcome.

As for the inactives today, the lone surprise for Miami is defensive end Randy Starks, who was fighting through an ankle injury all week but apparently wasn't close enough to 100 percent to be able to go. Joining him on the inactive list are wide receivet Ernest Wilford, linebacker William Kershaw, rookie guard Shawn Murphy, rookie defensive end Lionel Dotson, linebacker Quentin Moses, offensive tackle Nate Garner and emergency third quarterback John Beck. Stark's absence means defensive end Rodrique Wright is active for the first time all season.

For the Ravens, wide receiver Terrance Cooper, cornerback Evan Oglesby, running back Jalen Parmele, linebackers Antwan Barnes and Robert McCune, offensive tackle Oniel Cousins, guard/tackle David Hale and emergency third quarterback Todd Bouman are inactive. Parmele was a sixth-round draft pick of the Dolphins back in April.

MiamiDolphins.com

1. Establish the run

Miami 16...Baltimore 13
Agree with everything but the bolded. The Ravens have as much working against them as for them. I think the heat is going to be tough on them. not to mention the Dolphins play tough & have revenge working for them. I picked the Ravens by the same score, but I'm not incredilby confident about the outcome.
The heat? It's about 75 to 78 degrees outside, humidity isn't too bad, how is the heat going to factor in today? It's beautiful!!!

By the way...Penny gets his revenge against the Jets last week, went about it very professional and never bad mouthed the Jets.

How bout the fans get a little revenge today and run Cam Cameron out of the stadium one more time. We didn't get it when we played them in the regular season. Fans knew just how bad Cam was last year...magically they win 11 games this year with another coach...I ahve nothing against the Ravens, Harbaugh, but Cam...yeah it would be sweet to beat the Ravens today and send that guy packing his bags for the winter.

This just in: Sparano lost COY to Smith by 1 vote.

Let's hope the Fish go out today and prove the voters wrong.

1. Establish the run

Miami 16...Baltimore 13
The heat? It's about 75 to 78 degrees outside, humidity isn't too bad, how is the heat going to factor in today? It's beautiful!!!
You've been there and are used to it. Look - I'd love to be in 75/80 degree weather, but the Ravens aren't used to it at this point of the season.

Just when you think the CBS pregame show can't get worse,with Boomer Esiason, Dan Marino, and James Brown, they throw it to Leslie Visser for a report.

By the way...Penny gets his revenge against the Jets last week, went about it very professional and never bad mouthed the Jets. How bout the fans get a little revenge today and run Cam Cameron out of the stadium one more time. We didn't get it when we played them in the regular season. Fans knew just how bad Cam was last year...magically they win 11 games this year with another coach...I ahve nothing against the Ravens, Harbaugh, but Cam...yeah it would be sweet to beat the Ravens today and send that guy packing his bags for the winter.
I think Cam is one of those good-OC, but bad-HC guys. He's been a Godsend for the Ravens.

Parmele inactive means Ray Rice is not an injury concern and will be back for the first time in 3 games. That is good news for the Ravens.

According to Football Outsiders, the Ravens have the #1 pass defense vs. opposing tight ends. With Washington and Rolle seemingly healthy enough to play, I'm not too worried about Ginn -- Camarillo would have been a problem. Biggest offensive concern is Cobbs/Brown catching the ball out of the backfield. If the Fins try to throw out of the Wildcat, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see an Ed Reed INT.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Flacco come out throwing, kind of like last week vs. Jax, especially if the Dolphins put 8 in the box.

I'm thinking Baltimore, 30-13.

Who woulda thunk at the beginning of the year we'd be seeing Miami in the playoffs instead of New England? I'm rooting big time for the Dolphins today, partly because I love underdog stories, partly because I hate the Ravens, and mainly because as a Steeler fan I'm a little scared of the run that the Chargers are on. Go Miami!!!!

I expect Flacco to be confused by some disguised coverages today. It always happens to rookie QBs in their first time in the playoffs. Remember Big Ben's first year? I'm betting he throws a pick or two.

Boy it is really hard to run against Baltimore. I suppose you have to keep trying, but they are so good at turning first and ten into second and eleven.

Until they got real close, there was some good play calling by the Dolphins on that drive. Rex Ryan decided to sit back on that series instead of bringing a lot of bodies. I think that'll change.

I expect Flacco to be confused by some disguised coverages today. It always happens to rookie QBs in their first time in the playoffs. Remember Big Ben's first year? I'm betting he throws a pick or two.
He's alot more developed than an average rookie.He's said midseason that the game had slowed down for him and that the end zone didn't look as far as it used to.I expect him to have a pretty good game today and Mason to get alot of work.

I think the Dolphins need to consistently keep 8 men in the box. Don't give up any running yards if they can help it. Make Flacco beat you and show new disguised coverages on third down that haven't been used much in the regular season.

3rd and goal, run into the belly of the Baltimore Defense? I don't like that call.

Miami gets a gift fumble, turns it into 3, but they should ahve had 7...will mean something in the 2nd half of this football game.

The now seemingly routine use of the squib kick-off is one of the more puzzling tactical developments over the last couple of years.

He's alot more developed than an average rookie.He's said midseason that the game had slowed down for him and that the end zone didn't look as far as it used to.

I expect him to have a pretty good game today and Mason to get alot of work.
I thought the exact same thing about Roethlisberger in year one. The Steelers went 15-1. But in the playoffs against the Jets and especially the Patriots, he looked like a rookie for the first time all year. I have to believe it was all the new coverages he hadn't seen.

Oh come on. Illegal contact there? He didn't slow him up or anything, just barely touched him.

If they're going to literally enforce that penalty to the letter of the rulebook where any time you touch them it's an automatic penalty then there should be a flag on every play of every game. Don't just start chucking the flag out there whenever you get the urge.

3rd and goal, run into the belly of the Baltimore Defense? I don't like that call.Miami gets a gift fumble, turns it into 3, but they should ahve had 7...will mean something in the 2nd half of this football game.
With all due respect, and I have a lot of it for you, it's way too early to make that call.

He's alot more developed than an average rookie.He's said midseason that the game had slowed down for him and that the end zone didn't look as far as it used to.

I expect him to have a pretty good game today and Mason to get alot of work.
I thought the exact same thing about Roethlisberger in year one. The Steelers went 15-1. But in the playoffs against the Jets and especially the Patriots, he looked like a rookie for the first time all year. I have to believe it was all the new coverages he hadn't seen.
Ben's the one I've compared Joe Cool (much better than Matty Ice, don't you agree? Ok, I'll stop) the most.I think Big Ben and Flacco are very similar.

Ben was helped by playcalling as a rook - fewer pass attempts, 1/2 field reads - and it worked. But yes, he ran into much better DCs in the postseason.

I still think both are good QBs and Flacco's well on his way.

Both offenses look good, but two big stands by the defenses in goal-to-go situations. This has the makings of a damn good game.

If Miami doesn't get any pash rush, this is going to be a long game, or a very short one as Flacco looks like his pants haven't even touched a blade of glass.

Welcome to Ravens Land, folks. Be preapred for squirrely stuff to happen, stats not to matter, and it to snow in July.

Looked like pass interference to me on the toss to Heap at the goal line. the defender was draped on him. BTW not a Raven's fan. No horse in this race.

Candidates for sleepers of the game:

Baltimore - Jim Leonhard - on punt returns. Heap's already in the mix.

Miami - Cobbs is already in the mix. I like Devone Bess to be the most effective on offense as BAL will cover Fasano and Camarillo was the best WR in the Week 7 matchup - and Bess compares most to Camarillo in this offense.

Both offenses look good, but two big stands by the defenses in goal-to-go situations. This has the makings of a damn good game.
Yeah, except I'm worried that the Dolphins aren't going to be consistent unless they can establish some yards on the ground. The Ravens drive was a much more balanced attack, which indicates good things for them in the long run.

The Miami Dolphins look like they only suited up 3 WR again today. Teddy Ginn who has not touched the ball yet, Devone Bass an undrafted rookie, and Brandon London another undrafted rookie IIRC.

Miami is going to win this game with Cobbs, Fasano, and David Martin thru the air

is anyone else amazed the wildcat ever works? Hey the RB is playing QB, gee I wonder if he'll keep it

The Miami Dolphins look like they only suited up 3 WR again today. Teddy Ginn who has not touched the ball yet, Devone Bass an undrafted rookie, and Brandon London another undrafted rookie IIRC.

Miami is going to win this game with Cobbs, Fasano, and David Martin thru the air
:tinfoilhat: GL with that.

Users who are viewing this thread