What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Roger Goodell create a Civil War in the NFL? (3 Viewers)

Who knew it would be about something other than Bountygate?
:goodposting:Goodell has some fatal flaws -- the biggest being his inability to serve up appropriately measured responses to crises (perceived or real). Intransigence would be another -- sometimes you ARE wrong, Roger.
the NFLPA could have mitigated this "fatal flaw", at least as it regards to players, and chose not to. $$$ was more important than due process or checks and balances for Goodell. They got what they wanted/deserved.Likewise here, the owners could tell Goodell to bring the refs back, but they don't care about the games either, they care about cash.Lots of blame to go around.We all have to learn the NFL is a business to EVERYONE involved other than the fans.

:goodposting:Goodell has some fatal flaws -- the biggest being his inability to serve up appropriately measured responses to crises (perceived or real). Intransigence would be another -- sometimes you ARE wrong, Roger.
the NFLPA could have mitigated this "fatal flaw", at least as it regards to players, and chose not to. $$ was more important than due process or checks and balances for Goodell. They got what they wanted/deserved.Likewise here, the owners could tell Goodell to bring the refs back, but they don't care about the games either, they care about cash.Lots of blame to go around.We all have to learn the NFL is a business to EVERYONE involved other than the fans.
Great post BD, I still feel Goodell is the Devil but I think you are adding some great points.

the NFLPA could have mitigated this "fatal flaw", at least as it regards to players, and chose not to. $$ was more important than due process or checks and balances for Goodell. They got what they wanted/deserved.Likewise here, the owners could tell Goodell to bring the refs back, but they don't care about the games either, they care about cash.Lots of blame to go around.We all have to learn the NFL is a business to EVERYONE involved other than the fans.
Great post BD, I still feel Goodell is the Devil but I think you are adding some great points.
I am far from a fan of his either.

Let's not forget who started the charge in here against this guy :)

I know this is a different matter all together(cue the Airplane joke)

I am fully behind this guy stepping down or being fired but I don't think owners will throw him under the bus, in fact I believe they will come out in support of Roger. I don't know that most average fans view Goodell as a bad guy or even pay attention to the way he has altered the game for better or worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is Goodell doing? We haven't discussed in a while.
In the report, Goodell said that each of the home markets had "ample opportunity but did not develop their proposals sufficiently to ensure the retention of its NFL team."
Translation: You didn't pay off the billionaires, so we'll go find someone who will.

I only hope cities continue to wise up and stop getting fleeced by NFL teams.

Still making the owners billions, still doing his job. They don't care about his public perception or the perception of what he's doing to the game as long as they keep making the money they're making.

That video op with Goodell "braving the elements" gave me the serious ##### chills.. Roger Goodell, a true man of the people. :X

The only popular thing the guy has done is put the screws to NE on the bogus deflategate mess. I guess he can hang his hat on that as that was a no-brainer.

CalBear said:
Ministry of Pain said:
How is Goodell doing? We haven't discussed in a while.
In the report, Goodell said that each of the home markets had "ample opportunity but did not develop their proposals sufficiently to ensure the retention of its NFL team."
Translation: You didn't pay off the billionaires, so we'll go find someone who will.

I only hope cities continue to wise up and stop getting fleeced by NFL teams.
He fleeced the Miami Dolphins and all but forced Ross to make the upgrades to the stadium himself or Miami would never get another Super Bowl. He is the Mafia Don and ruined the NFL forever.

Probably shouldn't have voted to give him all that power.

Tell you what, Aaron.  How does neutral arbitration sound?  Good, good!  We'd like an 18 game season.  I'll have my people contact your people.

Aaron Rodgers also said more sports personalities need to step up and set the tone regarding social issues.  He then shut up and sat quietly in a corner counting his money.
You know what would really show the league you mean business Aaron?  Retire.  Stop supporting the bully. 

You know what would really show the league you mean business Aaron?  Retire.  Stop supporting the bully. 
Not sure if serious, but if not this displays the typical misunderstanding.  This isn't about Goodell, it's about the vast majority of players.  They talk a good game, but once it's time to take action (in a labor negotiation that means strike and give up wages) they aren't doing anything.  It's not worth risking what they have.  It blows me away how many people don't get this.

Not sure if serious, but if not this displays the typical misunderstanding.  This isn't about Goodell, it's about the vast majority of players.  They talk a good game, but once it's time to take action (in a labor negotiation that means strike and give up wages) they aren't doing anything.  It's not worth risking what they have.  It blows me away how many people don't get this.
It's human nature really.  "We will not stand for this! " :rant:  "wait, you want me to do something?" :oldunsure:

There seems to be such an odd misunderstanding of Goodell. He is the owners' front man and their shock collar. He's got a very difficult job and IMO handles it very well. 

Imagine if if you were the president of a business and had to balance a board and group of employees and their union like those in the NFL. Your board is quite often at war with itself, is filled with massive egos, and is divided into factions. The majority of the board will vote for things that negatively affect other board members or piss off your consumer base.

On the other hand you have employees who take up an incredible portion of the revenues and are on an almost daily basis doing incredibly dumb things, even though it may cost them pay checks, and those employees and the union just don't seem to care other than protecting their screw ups, no matter how badly they screw up or make your company look in the public's eye.  The employees seem to have no self awareness that those actions by individuals also affect them negatively as a group as well as negatively impact the image of the company.   Add to that the board is acutely aware of its public perception to the point of almost being a manic thing while these employees continue to act like supersized 2nd graders. 

Then add that you are the public scapegoat and target of all lash back for anything negative   

It's quite a balancing act that very few people in the world are capable of pulling off.  Don't get me wrong, I don't feel sympathy for Goodell - he's being very well compensated. But I sure do think that he is completely misunderstood and is an easy target for a lot of the knee jerk reactors - as he is designed to be as part of his job description. 

There seems to be such an odd misunderstanding of Goodell. He is the owners' front man and their shock collar. He's got a very difficult job and IMO handles it very well. 
I couldn't disagree more. IMO a commissioner should be like a ref. If a guy really stands out... he's bad at it. All you are asking is consistency from a ref or a commish and it really seems like the NFL is being run by a magic 8-ball at this point. IMO that's the real reason everyone in the NFL was scared ######## to draft Tunsil.... because nobody has a bloody clue what Goodell will do, including Goodell. ONE slightly deflated football with no evidence of any kind..... four game suspension. Multiple drug failures by a repeat drug offender..... three game suspension(no matter what the rules state). Oh, and just for good measure we are already taking steps for his next(inevitable?) violation will only be 4 games. Which by NFL math means 3 games based on the NFL's "N-1 principle" in dealing with Bell. Remember that time they changed the rules after the fact and Welker was suddenly innocent of a rule he violated? How do you retroactively change rules that have already been broken and enforce rules that you have no evidence were ever broken in the first place? Step right up and spin the wheel..... no rhyme or reason to disciplinary action. Oh, and nobody on the sidelines, in the stands, or commentating in a booth is 100% sure if a catch has been made. Genius.

MOP was crazy in my mind when he started this thread, but it turns out not only was he right and I was wrong but MOP was actually under-selling just how bad Goodell would become. At this point I think the owners are loving the monster they have created because the players are going to waste bargaining power wrestling discipline away from Goodell instead of getting a bigger share of revenues or dealing with the franchise tag. 

As I said, completely misunderstood. 

Do do you honestly believe Goodell does anything significant without explicit approval of the owners?  He is enforcing their will, not acting unilaterally on his own. If you believe he is acting on his own, I believe that you are gravely mistaken.  

Little day-to-day stuff, yes he makes the call.  The items you listed above? That came from guidance from the owners - not to mention that I believe your connotations of the items are, shall we say, somewhat jaded and perhaps put forth without a thorough and complete understanding of all the facts in each matter. 

Pregame viewership up 30% this week. However, ratings down for the games 4% from last year. Product on the field is worse than ever and now they are ####### around with politics.

Pretty excited for Trump fans to stop watching football as commanded.

I'm guessing a lot of the people here are just as tired of political rhetoric invading what should be an apolitical venue as many NFL fans are of it invading what is supposed to be their form of escapist fan fellowship entertainment.

I get that you are so zealous about your cause. Take it back to the FFA and keep it there, where your lefty brethren will pat you on the back and tell you how great and smart you are.

I'm guessing a lot of the people here are just as tired of political rhetoric invading what should be an apolitical venue as many NFL fans are of it invading what is supposed to be their form of escapist fan fellowship entertainment.

I get that you are so zealous about your cause. Take it back to the FFA and keep it there, where your lefty brethren will pat you on the back and tell you how great and smart you are.
:lmao:

This is always the worst argument. If you disagree with me, then you just don't understand a topic like I do. Sigh... 
Unfortunately you don't get a say in if he's good at his job. In any profession, if you're doing what your bosses want and 30 of your 32 bosses love your work and want to extend you, then you're doing a good job. He has only 32 people to report to and the vast majority love his work. 

If only everyone could be as smart as you are.

1. Get on high horse about wrong forum

2. Add passive aggressive comment that drags more garbage into the sp

CowboyFan said:
If only everyone could be as smart as you are.

1. Get on high horse about wrong forum

2. Add passive aggressive comment that drags more garbage into the sp

Thanks for completely missing the point.  I guess you just couldn't pass up the chance to take a shot.

Have a great day.

As I see the thread where "Officiating has ruined the NFL"

-Let's not forget who runs the NFL and is completely in charge of the NFL Referees

This thread harkens back to when Goodell was ruling with an iron fist and for whatever reason in the last few years I rarely hear him mentioned with the iron fist he put forth going way back to when he stepped into the Commish role. Still, he has a huge hand in how the refs throw their flags on Sunday including the bubble they surround the QB with and throw game changing yellow flags at key moments in the football games, that's where I'll leave that. I don't believe the games are rigged but the refs are human and they like certain players a little more than others, just the way it is.

I would like to know why up and coming teams seem to get the short end of the stick from the Refs in big games, there's a pattern when you watch all the games.

-Let's not forget who runs the NFL and is completely in charge of the NFL Referees

This thread harkens back to when Goodell was ruling with an iron fist and for whatever reason in the last few years I rarely hear him mentioned with the iron fist he put forth going way back to when he stepped into the Commish role. Still, he has a huge hand in how the refs throw their flags on Sunday including the bubble they surround the QB with and throw game changing yellow flags at key moments in the football games, that's where I'll leave that. I don't believe the games are rigged but the refs are human and they like certain players a little more than others, just the way it is.

I would like to know why up and coming teams seem to get the short end of the stick from the Refs in big games, there's a pattern when you watch all the games.
Love football but there's a definite bias in big games towards the poster boys of the NFL. That happens to be Mahomes right now, so expect the flags to go in favor of the Chiefs.

Have to admit it was kind of funny to see Mahomes get battered in the Super Bowl against the Bucs after his team got all the calls in the previous super bowl. He learned that Brady was still the #1 choice for Poster Boy when push came to shove. Now he's the undisputed Chosen One.

Go Eagles!

NFL is treading very close to the credibility line. Credibility is like virginity, once you lose it... you can't get it back... you're professional wrestling.

#NFLisRigged

Nothing is "fixed" in The NFL. The issue is the complete opposite of what Roger said. The officiating is NOT the best it's ever been,it's awful. Aaron Rogers made a good point and it's something I've been harping on for several years. Part time officials are ruining the game. The top refs,and Rogers named them,are now working for the networks. Why? They get paid more money! Make the job full time,that comes with more money,you retain the best people. It's a tough job and no one is perfect,mistakes will still be made,but I believe the officiating would significantly improve with full time officials.

Nothing is "fixed" in The NFL. The issue is the complete opposite of what Roger said. The officiating is NOT the best it's ever been,it's awful. Aaron Rogers made a good point and it's something I've been harping on for several years. Part time officials are ruining the game. The top refs,and Rogers named them,are now working for the networks. Why? They get paid more money! Make the job full time,that comes with more money,you retain the best people. It's a tough job and no one is perfect,mistakes will still be made,but I believe the officiating would significantly improve with full time officials.

Officiating is not good but it never has been. We just didn't have the technology in the past that we do now. Moving to full time refs is a good idea, It still won't be perfect but definitely a step in the right direction.

What really is off the charts is whining about bad calls.

Younger guys would help too. Get some guys in their mid 30s to mid 40's who are in good physical shape and will be around for the long term. Good pay and benefits like any GaZillion dollar business would offer to an important position.

Agree that games aren't "fixed" but if you think there isn't a "nudge" given to certain teams the NFL views as profitable to keep in the big game headlines, you're being naive

Users who are viewing this thread