What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst early-round pick your team has made (1 Viewer)

azcards33

Footballguy
A spin-off of my previous thread, in which I asked posters to name a guy who was drafted late and ended up surpassing your expectations and developed into a nice 'surprise' player.Here I'm looking for a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounder that was drafted to your team with alot of hype or high expectations and hasn't lived up to them.I'll start this off by saying that Rashuan Woods was definately a horrible pick for the Niners last season

I said in the other thread that the Redskins haven't been very good in the late rounds, but they have been pretty solid in the early rounds. Here are their top 2 picks each year back to 1999:1999: Champ Bailey, Jon Jansen2000: Lavar Arrington, Chris Samuels2001: Rod Gardner, Fred Smoot2002: Patrick Ramsey, Ladell Betts2003: Taylor Jacobs, Derrick Dockery2004: Sean Taylor, Chris Cooley2005: Carlos Rogers, Jason CampbellI think Taylor Jacobs is the winner here, followed closely by Rod Gardner.

Local: The list is long, but have to go with Ryan Sims 1.06 :loco:Fave: Charles Rogers @ 1.02. Or Harrington @ 1.03. No wonder the Lions suck. No late round steals, high pick busts.

For the Steelers it would be LB Alonzo Jackson. He was a 2nd round pick in 2003 and the dude just couldn't make a play. He was supposed to be the guy to take over for Jason Gildon but never showed anything.He was cut this year but was later picked up by the Giants, who were desperate for LB help because of injuries. From what I saw he actually starting playing OK late in the season so maybe he'll turn out to be a steal for the Giants.But he was a bust for the Steelers...

I think Ramsey, Jacobs, and Gardner all qualify at this stage. Sean Taylor is heading down that path.
I considered Ramsey, but he just hasn't been a complete bust and I still believe he can be a successful starting QB. Gardner's not even in the league anymore and Jacobs has done next to nothing besides play some decent special teams.If I knew back then everything I know now about Sean Taylor, I'd still take him with the 5th overall pick.

Tie between Tim Couch and Courtney Brown. Both taken 1.01, neither of them did anything with the Browns.

For the Steelers it would be LB Alonzo Jackson. He was a 2nd round pick in 2003 and the dude just couldn't make a play. He was supposed to be the guy to take over for Jason Gildon but never showed anything.He was cut this year but was later picked up by the Giants, who were desperate for LB help because of injuries. From what I saw he actually starting playing OK late in the season so maybe he'll turn out to be a steal for the Giants.But he was a bust for the Steelers...
I don't know. Taking WR Edwards in the 1st was pretty bad. And didn't we take some OL in the late 90s in the 1st that didn't do ANYTHING. That's just my recent memory.

Jamar Fletcher over Drew Brees...Not to mention all the 1st round RBs the Fins took in the 90's. John Avery, Jim Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Tie between Tim Couch and Courtney Brown. Both taken 1.01, neither of them did anything with the Browns.
W/ plenty of Steeler bashing in other threads, I don't feel guilty in saying we could include a good portion of other team's rosters in players that were 'busts' in Cleveland. You have also stuck up for the Steelers in other threads, so I'll throw in the fact that Crennel seems to be just the guy to start turning that franchise around, which in reality is another recent expansion team and in memory of the original Browns, expectations may have been running a little high. AFC North should be a very good and competitive division in the near future.

W/ plenty of Steeler bashing in other threads, I don't feel guilty in saying we could include a good portion of other team's rosters in players that were 'busts' in Cleveland. You have also stuck up for the Steelers in other threads, so I'll throw in the fact that Crennel seems to be just the guy to start turning that franchise around, which in reality is another recent expansion team and in memory of the original Browns, expectations may have been running a little high. AFC North should be a very good and competitive division in the near future.
I question Crennel's desire. A guy that has a burning desire to be a head coach in the NFL and gets passed over as much as Crennel has probably would have quit long ago out of frustration. Furthermore, when he talks, I don't feel that hunger within him. He's too happy - almost like he's just happy to be there. In some ways the Browns as a team act the same way, as if its rubbing off on the club. The Browns get embarrased 41-0 to the Steelers on christmas and now I hear many of the Browns (including Charlie Frye) are rooting for Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl. These guys EMBARRASED you - have a little pride in your work.

Tie between Tim Couch and Courtney Brown.  Both taken 1.01, neither of them did anything with the Browns.
I question Crennel's desire. A guy that has a burning desire to be a head coach in the NFL and gets passed over as much as Crennel has probably would have quit long ago out of frustration. Furthermore, when he talks, I don't feel that hunger within him. He's too happy - almost like he's just happy to be there. In some ways the Browns as a team act the same way, as if its rubbing off on the club. The Browns get embarrased 41-0 to the Steelers on christmas and now I hear many of the Browns (including Charlie Frye) are rooting for Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl. These guys EMBARRASED you - have a little pride in your work.
Were Cincy in the 'Bowl, I'd pull for them. There's something in the fact that YOUR division is represented by the NFL champion.

The Skins may not have been bad in recent years, but from '91 to '96 they had a horrible string of bad 1st round picks.'91 Bobby Wilson DT (Ted Washington went 8 picks later)'92 Desmond Howard WR (Jimmy Smith went in the second round)'93 Tom Carter CB (no corners from this draft were good, but Strahan went 23 picks later)'94 Heath Shuler QB (only decent QB was Dilfer, but Willie McGinnest went next)'95 Michael Westbrook WR (Joey Galloway went 4 picks later)'96 Andre Johnson OT (pick 30, no decent tackles but Brackens, Toomer, Alstott, and Milloy went 33,34,35,36)This leads me to believe that the Redskins should stop drafting receivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Skins may not have been bad in recent years, but from '91 to '96 they had a horrible string of bad 1st round picks.

'91 Bobby Wilson DT

'92 Desmond Howard WR

'93 Tom Carter CB

'94 Heath Shuler QB

'95 Michael Westbrook WR

'96 Andre Johnson OT

This leads me to believe that the Redskins should stop drafting receivers.
Pretty poor FA aquisitions as well. So we could argue that through the mid-late '90s that the 'Skins should not have drafted or brought in free agents.

For the Steelers it would be LB Alonzo Jackson. He was a 2nd round pick in 2003 and the dude just couldn't make a play. He was supposed to be the guy to take over for Jason Gildon but never showed anything.

He was cut this year but was later picked up by the Giants, who were desperate for LB help because of injuries. From what I saw he actually starting playing OK late in the season so maybe he'll turn out to be a steal for the Giants.

But he was a bust for the Steelers...
Tim WorleyWalter Abercrombie

:X

:towelwave:

Adam Jones....Andre Woofolk...

:whistle:
Woolfolk, I can agree with. Seems to me you're selling Jones short - unless you just mean his attitude. Kevin Dyson? (over you-know-who)

Woolfolk, I can agree with. Seems to me you're selling Jones short - unless you just mean his attitude. Kevin Dyson? (over you-know-who)
If by attitude you mean muffed punts, missed tackles, and blown coverages WHILE having a bad attitude, then yes, that's what I mean.Dyson gets a free pass due to a certain "reception of a lateral and sunsequent score" in a certain playoff game. ;)

If by attitude you mean muffed punts, missed tackles, and blown coverages WHILE having a bad attitude, then yes, that's what I mean.Dyson gets a free pass due to a certain "reception of a lateral and sunsequent score" in a certain playoff game. ;)
Jones did fine in the game I saw in Nashville - Seattle. I'm not defending him, but there's been worse. If he's the worst, you have a heck of a franchise. Must be nice. :angry: Good point on Dyson.

For the Steelers it would be LB Alonzo Jackson.  He was a 2nd round pick in 2003 and the dude just couldn't make a play.  He was supposed to be the guy to take over for Jason Gildon but never showed anything.

He was cut this year but was later picked up by the Giants, who were desperate for LB help because of injuries.  From what I saw he actually starting playing OK late in the season so maybe he'll turn out to be a steal for the Giants.

Abercrombie never lived up to his potential was be wasn't horrible. Tim Worley was OK his rookie season but sucked after that.But Iwas going for a recent player. If we're going for worst all time then I think that honor goes to LB Huey Richardson in 1991.

Huey Richardson

Would trading a high pick to acquire Bryant Johnson & Calvin Pace be considered bad early round drafting? (Terrell Suggs was on the board).

Vikings

2002 - Bryant McKinnie

2001 - Michael Bennett

2000 - Chris Hovan
McKinnie had a very good year and seems to be "getting" it.Bennett wasn't too bad before he got hurt. His game was based on speed and he just doesn't have that "pop" anymore.

Hovan, meh.

The guy you're forgetting about is Dimitrius Underwood. :loco:

Vikings

2002 - Bryant McKinnie

2001 - Michael Bennett

2000 - Chris Hovan
McKinnie had a very good year and seems to be "getting" it.Bennett wasn't too bad before he got hurt. His game was based on speed and he just doesn't have that "pop" anymore.

Hovan, meh.

No doubt this is the correct answer for the Vikes. I remeber Nick Saban saying the Vikings `never even calling MSU and asking about him even though he sat out his senior season with an ankle injury. Saban told the press he would have warned them about him.Dennys answer was "it was a throw away pick anyway, we had 2 1st rounders this year anyway" What a terrible pick.

No doubt this is the correct answer for the Vikes. I remeber Nick Saban saying the Vikings `never even calling MSU and asking about him even though he sat out his senior season with an ankle injury. Saban told the press he would have warned them about him.Dennys answer was "it was a throw away pick anyway, we had 2 1st rounders this year anyway" What a terrible pick.
Denny actually SAID that? Dude is the most overrated coach in the NFL.

Tim Worley

Walter Abercrombie

*sigh* Tim Worley that brings me all the way to my first Fantasy Football draft. I got a steal picking him that rookie year with my 4th round draft pick (10 team league) :wall: :wall: :wall: I got the immortal Stephen "Touchdown Maker" Baker of the Giants later that year as well. To say this wasn't the information age is an understatement: I got Dalton Hilliard off the waiver wire (and he proceeded to score 18 TDs making up for my stupidly picking Ironhead Heyward over him in the last round) and grabbed Sterling Sharpe a couple weeks later off the wire (his first year where he got like 13 TDs) and made the playoffs inspite of myself :) But I digress.

As A Bengals fan, I only have to pick 3? Happily it's been a few years since we've whiffed on a 1st-rounder (even pre-Marvin Levi Jones and Justin Smith were solid).

But then there's....

Akili :X one year starting plus "raw tools" equals ridiculous reach and disaster. To think we coulda gotten the whole Saints draft for this pick that year *sigh*

Corp. Klingler :X I knew this was a bust right away, of course as an Illinois student at the time I remembered him as that guy in that overhyped Houston offense that got destroyed by our good (not great) Illini team. Gimmick offense that gave him big numbers against generally overmatched opponents.

Big Daddy has to occupy spot 3 here. For all the hype of what a difference maker this guy was he didn't get any work ethic until he was gone to Washington.

As for the others? I mean Ki-Jana I can't count. He got hurt. We'll never know.

Warrick - a dishonorable mention. His college numbers clearly exceeded his talent. Hopefully he'll put some big numbers for the Seahawks this week.

WHO DEY!

-QG

Tony MandarichTerrell BuckleyBoth were absolutely brutal. Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, and Derrick Thomas all went after Mandarich and Troy Vincent went after Buckley.Edit:Also selecting Robert Fergusen ahead of Chris Chambers was pretty horrible. That is twice that the Packers have passed on a great player from the University of Wisconsin to take a mediocre player at the same position. Remember this when people say the Texans will take Vince Young because he is from Houston.

Tie between Tim Couch and Courtney Brown.  Both taken 1.01, neither of them did anything with the Browns.
Were Cincy in the 'Bowl, I'd pull for them. There's something in the fact that YOUR division is represented by the NFL champion.
I don't believe in that whatsoever. I want to win. I call into question the competiveness of any player who can actually get stomped on 41-0, see the opponents fans swarm their home stadium and cheer it on, and then turn around and root for THAT team in the super bowl two months later. If you are a competitive person, then you understand how wrong all of that is. If that stuff is acceptable to you, then you are not competitive. You either have it or you don't.

NYGRon dayne1991-jaron bunch1992-derrick brown1994-thomas lewis1995-wheatley1996-cedrick jones1998-shaun williams

So many choices for the Lions...In my lifetime, it's absolutely no contest. Andre Ware. If a guy was ever so obviously a "product of the system" in college, it was him. Had none of the intangibles you look for in an NFL QB.In recent years, I give Charles Rogers the nod over Joey Harrington. Harrington has been bad, but at least he's always given his best in a difficult situation. Rogers just tanked on us this past year.

I don't believe in that whatsoever. I want to win. I call into question the competiveness of any player who can actually get stomped on 41-0, see the opponents fans swarm their home stadium and cheer it on, and then turn around and root for THAT team in the super bowl two months later.
You are talking about something completely different. Cheering for a competitor is not the same thing as cheering for someone you feel has greatly disrespected you.

Since Woods was mentioned, these are the worst in the past decade.....course, each of them were also very late first round selections. 2002: Mike Rumph1999: Reggie McGrew1998: RW McQuarters1997: Jim Drunkenmiller

Jamal Reynolds - Packers - yuck.

Ahmad Carroll - Packers - he's showing all signs of being a bust.
I agree with Reynolds, but I'm not as quick to cast aside Carroll yet. He did improve last year, and he came out quite young from a program that was less than big time. Keeping Lionel Washington around to coach the DBs was a good mvoe by McCarthy. I think Carroll will keep developing. I don't think he'll ever be a shut down corner, but he'll be an average starter int his league. Not great, but not terrible.

For the Steelers it would be LB Alonzo Jackson. He was a 2nd round pick in 2003 and the dude just couldn't make a play. He was supposed to be the guy to take over for Jason Gildon but never showed anything.

He was cut this year but was later picked up by the Giants, who were desperate for LB help because of injuries. From what I saw he actually starting playing OK late in the season so maybe he'll turn out to be a steal for the Giants.

I don't know. Taking WR Edwards in the 1st was pretty bad. And didn't we take some OL in the late 90s in the 1st that didn't do ANYTHING. That's just my recent memory.
You're thinking of Jamain Stephens. I think he was taken just after SB XXX, which would be 1996.

For the Steelers it would be LB Alonzo Jackson.  He was a 2nd round pick in 2003 and the dude just couldn't make a play.  He was supposed to be the guy to take over for Jason Gildon but never showed anything.

He was cut this year but was later picked up by the Giants, who were desperate for LB help because of injuries.  From what I saw he actually starting playing OK late in the season so maybe he'll turn out to be a steal for the Giants.

Abercrombie never lived up to his potential was be wasn't horrible. Tim Worley was OK his rookie season but sucked after that.But Iwas going for a recent player. If we're going for worst all time then I think that honor goes to LB Huey Richardson in 1991.

Huey Richardson
Jermaine Stephens gives Huey a run for his money....but Jermaine can't run. They both sucked BAD.... :yucky:

KC:2004: Trade DOWN, to get Junior Siavii, when the spot you gave up grabbed Kevin Jones.2002: Ryan Sims (1.06), Eddie Freeman in Rds 1-2 was brutal2000: Sly Morris-granted injuries got him, but I hated the pick @ the time.1995: Trezelle Jenkins in 1st round1994: Greg Hill RB, when Marcus played through 1997Blast from the past1985: Ethan Horton in 1st round1983: Blackledge over Marino and Kelly in Rd. 1

The Steelers picked busts in three consecutive drafts in the second round:1997 Will Blackwell WR1998 Jeremy Staat DL1999 Scott Shields DB

The Steelers picked busts in three consecutive drafts in the second round:

1997 Will Blackwell WR

1998 Jeremy Staat DL

1999 Scott Shields DB
Jeeez, who could forget Aaron Jones, 1988 ??? Another stinker... :X

The guy you're forgetting about is Dimitrius Underwood.  :loco:
Denny actually SAID that? Dude is the most overrated coach in the NFL.
Yes, he did. I actually couldn't believe it myself when I heard it. It came well after they had to release Sybil and she signed with the Cowboys.

Jones did fine in the game I saw in Nashville - Seattle. I'm not defending him, but there's been worse. If he's the worst, you have a heck of a franchise. Must be nice. :angry: Good point on Dyson.
Jones cant be labled a bust yet. He played horribly to start the season, but he showed plenty of potential in the 2nd half. His attitude is a major concern though.Woolfolk....I still cant comprehend this pick by the Titans. You take a CB who strictly played zone coverage his entire college career, and put him into a man system...

Does Travis Henry for a 3rd round pick count?

Antwan Odom has looked hapless as a 2nd rounder from last year, and Travis Laboy(also a 2nd rounder) has shown improvement, but is still a one-dimensional pass rusher.

1998 - Curtis Enis 5th overall1999 - Cade McNown 12th overall2001 - David Terrell 8th overall2002 - Marc Colombo 29th overall2003 - Michael Haynes 14th overallJury still out on Grossman 22nd overall in 2003

Users who are viewing this thread