What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wow Philly Really Screwed Dallas!!!! (1 Viewer)

Football Jones said:
You may not be lost for long. Huge potential.

Not a sure thing by any means, but he's got more upside than any TE in this class (& really not close).

We'll know a lot more about Rico after this season.
If I had to guess I'd say huge potential TEs succeed maybe 10% of the time ... that's probably being generous. I know the the Giants alone have gone through 2-3 huge potential TEs over the last 4-5 years.  Gathers  didnt even play high school football and hasnt even gotten into an NFL game in 2 seasons 

modogg said:
this is obvious shtick, right? there are a few inaccuracies as well here, Dallas never mentioned anything about Witten because they didn't know. Good 'ol Jer was even saying nothing was final the whole time. So they didn't announce cause they never knew. And the Rico Gathers love is great, what is this his 3rd year in the NFL? what are his career stats so far?

and the idea that a well run org, SB champ, would do this to to get at the Cowboys is just royally dumb. yes, it was a nice coincidence, but the Eagles actually run a legit team. they don't waste their time/resources caring what a team like the Cowboys. it is like a marathon winner worrying about the person in 100th place
Yet all you do is talk about the Cowboys in every thread. Every. Single. Thread. You talk about the Cowboys so much that I literally thought you were just a disgruntled Cowboys fan.

You should know it's not schtick. Check out our draft picks recently (as a whole). Like I said, McClay has made a huge difference.

As far as Witten's retirement, he talked to Jerry before making it official. If you believe we would officially announce his retirement if we were actually looking at a top TE, you must think we're really stupid.

Regardless, all it takes to know Williams was our original pick is watching our actions right after you traded up. Williams was the pick. Will Hernandez was a serious contender at 19 so you know we were jumping on Williams & moving him to G once he was available at our 2nd round pick.
Dallas didn't really have a choice on when the Witten retirement announcement would happen.  ESPN was running the draft and signed Witten to be in the MNF booth.  ESPN was pushing the Witten story to publicize him being in the booth.  Dallas simply did some damage control and tried to push back the potential announcement by saying that nothing was official until Witten spoke with the Cowboys.  

In the end, I believe Witten's status had some bearing on Philly moving up to get a TE.  Whether Dallas wanted that player or not, Philly certainly did and they couldn't just sit back and hope Dallas didn't want him.  It's worth a 5th rounder to make sure you get a player that you rate highly.  

Dallas didn't really have a choice on when the Witten retirement announcement would happen.  ESPN was running the draft and signed Witten to be in the MNF booth.  ESPN was pushing the Witten story to publicize him being in the booth.  Dallas simply did some damage control and tried to push back the potential announcement by saying that nothing was official until Witten spoke with the Cowboys.  

In the end, I believe Witten's status had some bearing on Philly moving up to get a TE.  Whether Dallas wanted that player or not, Philly certainly did and they couldn't just sit back and hope Dallas didn't want him.  It's worth a 5th rounder to make sure you get a player that you rate highly.  
You really believe Dallas had no idea Witten would retire & what it might mean to their draft? It was a non-issue which is why Witten announced it when he did. ESPN would've surely delayed the announcement if asked to by WItten.

I kinda get a kick out of people saying the Cowboys didn't know it might be coming & it was totally out of the blue with no contact from Witten prior to the announcement. If we had been interested in a TE high in the draft, you can rest assured Witten's announcement would've been delayed. I also can't express enough about how better Williams fits with Rico having such a high upside. Our TE target was Schultz later in the draft so we could maximize our 2nd round pick.

I know Philly fans are mostly happy with Goedert, but I believe taking longterm backup players high in the draft is a luxury NFL teams can't really afford. If I was an Eagles fan, I definitely would've liked to have seen them take a player who would make more of an impact. You could've taken a more impactful player in the 2nd & gotten a guy like Dalton Schultz, for instance, who we took in the late 4th (he's a Celek clone).

That said, if you guys like it, more power to you. I will say it was an interesting situation for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so maybe this will end, Witten still might play another season. Him & Jerry have been in touch this past week & Garrett has been trying to convince him to play.

To think this was out of the blue & then made us target Goedert is pure hogwash, LOL.

BTW, I say this with all due respect, but I believe Philly would've been better off had they moved up to get Williams, both to hurt us & for the benefit of their team.

Again, not trying to start anything. Just an opinion.

Jut so maybe this will end, Witten still might play another season. Him & Jerry have been in touch all week & Garrett is trying to convince him to play.

To think this was out of the blue & then made us target Goedert is pure hogwash, LOL.

BTW, I say this with all due respect, but I believe Philly would've been better off had they moved up to get Williams, both to hurt us & for the benefit of their team.

Again, not trying to start anything, just an opinion.
One NFL executive's take on Conner Williams.

"

"I heard all about how good he was last year, and then I turned on the tape, and what I saw wasn't a first-rounder at all," the executive said. "I can go back to 2016, but who is he now? I have to know who he is and who he's going to be in three to five years. Scouting is projecting."

If Williams can recapture his 2016 form, the youngster has everything a tackle needs to succeed in the NFL. Power. Technique. Agility.

But for most of last year, that quickness was nowhere to be found.

Williams is the epitome of high ceiling, low floor."

One NFL executive's take on Conner Williams.

"

"I heard all about how good he was last year, and then I turned on the tape, and what I saw wasn't a first-rounder at all," the executive said. "I can go back to 2016, but who is he now? I have to know who he is and who he's going to be in three to five years. Scouting is projecting."

If Williams can recapture his 2016 form, the youngster has everything a tackle needs to succeed in the NFL. Power. Technique. Agility.

But for most of last year, that quickness was nowhere to be found.

Williams is the epitome of high ceiling, low floor."
As a pure T prospect, I think Williams is a fringe 1st-rounder (although, quite a few teams had him rated at least as their #2 T), but a very good value in the mid-2nd (as a T).

However, he's an elite G prospect & one of the better steals in the draft. Few teams could afford to move him to G, but it's a brilliant move if you have the luxury.

You really believe Dallas had no idea Witten would retire & what it might mean to their draft? It was a non-issue which is why Witten announced it when he did. ESPN would've surely delayed the announcement if asked to by WItten.

I kinda get a kick out of people saying the Cowboys didn't know it might be coming & it was totally out of the blue with no contact from Witten prior to the announcement. If we had been interested in a TE high in the draft, you can rest assured Witten's announcement would've been delayed. I also can't express enough about how better Williams fits with Rico having such a high upside. Our TE target was Schultz later in the draft so we could maximize our 2nd round pick.

I know Philly fans are mostly happy with Goedert, but I believe taking longterm backup players high in the draft is a luxury NFL teams can't really afford. If I was an Eagles fan, I definitely would've liked to have seen them take a player who would make more of an impact. You could've taken a more impactful player in the 2nd & gotten a guy like Dalton Schultz, for instance, who we took in the late 4th (he's a Celek clone).

That said, if you guys like it, more power to you. I will say it was an interesting situation for sure.
Philly had relatively few holes to fill.  I would say they needed a slot corner to compete with whomever they use there (thinking Mills) and a pass catching TE to replace Burton.  They got the TE in rd 2 and CB in rd 4 with their top 2 picks.  Any other positions they drafted would have been backup/special teams material.  

Philly had relatively few holes to fill.  I would say they needed a slot corner to compete with whomever they use there (thinking Mills) and a pass catching TE to replace Burton.  They got the TE in rd 2 and CB in rd 4 with their top 2 picks.  Any other positions they drafted would have been backup/special teams material.  
You guys did lose Celek & Burton so I can see filling the void from that viewpoint.

Goedert is a good prospect.

Snotbubbles said:
TE was certainly a need going into this draft.  Doug runs a lot of 2 (and 3) TE sets so either that or like you said a slot corner.  Akers and the media had fun with it but it was nothing more than seeing the top pass-catching TE on the board with a suddenly TE needy team in front of them.  Spend the 5th and go get your guy.  Otherwise, who cares that it was Dallas they jumped in front of?  Jerry and the NFL like to treat the Cowboys like they're some elite team, when in reality they're more like the Chargers over the last 22 years.

Football Jones said:
Exactly. I have no qualms about saying Dallas now has the best personnel department in the NFL. Will McClay has made a huge difference.

Now we're going to pound them with our OL, LOL.
:thumbup:  Just keep doing what you're doing Dallas.  I'm certain the entire NFCE feels the same way.

As for your O-line, you're gonna need it to go against the best D-line in the league.

:thumbup:  Just keep doing what you're doing Dallas.  I'm certain the entire NFCE feels the same way.

As for your O-line, you're gonna need it to go against the best D-line in the league.
Jerry is an idiot and an ego maniac who severely handicaps the team. The coaching has been awful and isn't likely to get much better, as quality candidates want nothing to do with Jerry after he promised Parcells personnel control, then reneged. I won't defend Jerry or Garrett. 

That said, the scouting department has been one of, if not the best in the league over the last decade. They have a few big holes after letting Dez and Hitchens go, but that's what happens when you hit on your picks at a high rate and have to pick and choose who you pay. The team went 13-3 with a 4th round draft pick at QB in 2016. 

Jerry is an idiot and an ego maniac who severely handicaps the team. The coaching has been awful and isn't likely to get much better, as quality candidates want nothing to do with Jerry after he promised Parcells personnel control, then reneged. I won't defend Jerry or Garrett. 

That said, the scouting department has been one of, if not the best in the league over the last decade. They have a few big holes after letting Dez and Hitchens go, but that's what happens when you hit on your picks at a high rate and have to pick and choose who you pay. The team went 13-3 with a 4th round draft pick at QB in 2016. 
I guess for an outsider the talent is hard to see when the coaching has been so bad.  That said, for a team that's won 2 playoff games in 22 years its comes across as humorous to call them the best at anything.

I guess for an outsider the talent is hard to see when the coaching has been so bad.  That said, for a team that's won 2 playoff games in 22 years its comes across as humorous to call them the best at anything.
Dallas Cowboys Drafted More Pro Bowlers Than Any Other NFL Team Over Last 10 Years
OK, the coaching sucks worse than I thought.  They still have 2 playoff wins in 22 years - to call them best at anything is still humorous to me.  The pro-bowlers haven't exactly translated to much success.

This fact makes the Dallas Cowboys franchise even more laughable. 
Hardly laughable. They've been the best team in the NFC East over the last 10 years, in terms of wins and division titles. Granted, that hasn't translated to playoff wins, in part due to a few bad breaks. But they've been an above average team on the whole. 

Hardly laughable. They've been the best team in the NFC East over the last 10 years, in terms of wins and division titles. Granted, that hasn't translated to playoff wins, in part due to a few bad breaks. But they've been an above average team on the whole. 
Great scouting, the rest of it is abominable. They can't win a big game.

The Washington Capitals of the NFL.

We're seeing a shift in power to Stephen. He's much more of a harda$$. I think it's made a huge difference already.

We've got just about everything we need to win. The coaching staff is on their last leg. No way Stephen puts up with nothing other than a divisional title & a deep playoff run if Garrett is to stay. 

I love some of the changes we've made & I believe we're going to have a good year. We'll see just how good.

Incorrect for both.  The Eagles have the same number of division wins (3) as the Cowboys and one more win (89) over the last 10 seasons.  If you go back to the when the divisions were realigned (15 16 seasons) the Eagles have 7 division wins to the Cowboys 4.  Its more lopsided if you count playoff wins, 5 to 2 over 10 years and 9 to 2 over the last 15.

Incorrect for both.  The Eagles have the same number of division wins (3) as the Cowboys and one more win (89) over the last 10 seasons.  If you go back to the when the divisions were realigned (15 16 seasons) the Eagles have 7 division wins to the Cowboys 4.  Its more lopsided if you count playoff wins, 5 to 2 over 10 years and 9 to 2 over the last 15.
Sorry, I counted 11 years by mistake. 2007-2017. Point stands: They’ve been a good team.

Sure, 2nd best in wins and and 3rd out of 4 in playoff success is still pretty good.
Enjoy your SB. It had been a long wait. Enjoy it. I know the 90s were hard, but they’re over. It’s okay to let go of that hurt and move on.
Hey, I was just correcting your statements.  But the Cowboys really haven't been the best at anything over the last couple of decades other than the most Pro Bowl players.  Guess that's something.

At least it’s somewhat of a rivalry now. I never thought of Philly as a big rivalry in the past. Mostly thought of the Skins & Giants as our rivals, but that’s probably because of each team’s storied history. Anyway, I think it might get wild around here, LOL.

The NFC is going to be brutal. Really looking forward to this season because we have the talent. If the coaching changes help & the staff steps up, we’re going be REALLY tough to handle.

We’re definitely moving in the right direction so it’ll be interesting to see how close we are in ‘18. Should be a blast.

:hifive:   The Cowboys have barely been a blip on the post-season radar on over 2 decades yet somehow have the best personnel people - and I'm the one with issues.  GN.
We stay on the radar because people like yourself are infatuated with the Cowboys. 

It’s weird that you constantly talk about the Cowboys. Unless we’re playing you that week, Cowboys fans don’t talk about the Eagles or the Eagles division wins or your draft or your FA, or pretty much anything else Eagles related. 

You guys feel the need to discuss the Cowboys on a daily basis. It’s ####### weird. 

We stay on the radar because people like yourself are infatuated with the Cowboys. 

It’s weird that you constantly talk about the Cowboys. Unless we’re playing you that week, Cowboys fans don’t talk about the Eagles or the Eagles division wins or your draft or your FA, or pretty much anything else Eagles related. 

You guys feel the need to discuss the Cowboys on a daily basis. It’s ####### weird. 
And yet...here you are, talking about the Eagles.

I thought it was a  funny statement that the Cowboys have the best talent evaluators with their extended  dearth of playoff success.  Then the statement that they've been the best NFCE team in the last 10 years was just factually incorrect. Seems the guy didn't like me fact checking his statement.

Good luck this year,  I really hope you go 14-2. And lose the first playoff game  (again).

Tell that to all the cowboys fans on this board that were living in the eagles thread this past postseason.  Weird is exactly the word I used to describe it at the time 

Tell that to all the cowboys fans on this board that were living in the eagles thread this past postseason.  Weird is exactly the word I used to describe it at the time 
That happened because all Eagles fans could talk about during their playoff run was the Dallas Cowboys. You guys are ####### weird man.

I never felt the Eagles move up in front of Dallas to draft Goedert was anything more than to ensure they got the guy they wanted. I also think they knew Witten was going to retire and weren't sure what the Cowboys would do. I believe the Cowboys got exactly who they wanted also. I don't believe Philly screwed Dallas at all by moving up in front of them. Dallas might have had Goedert ranked higher, and maybe drafted him if he fell to them, but I don't think they thought he would, thus the pick made was the one they intended to make all along. Good for both teams!!

Now stop your petty bickering...all of ya. It's gonna be a great season!!

Users who are viewing this thread