What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (1 Viewer)

current ADP late 3rd / early 4th, but I assume he will drop a bit more over the next few weeks.  If I were drafting from a late spot, Im not so sure I could pull the trigger there.  I see him as a value in the 5th.

The Athletic’s Jay Morrison believes A.J. Green returning for Week 3 is the "best-case scenario."

The team has been completely inconspicuous on Green's health since it was first announced he'd miss games at the end of July and Morrison reports there's still no timetable on the wideout's pending return. On a knee scooter and yet to begin on-field rehab work, it's more than probable Green misses the first month of the season (if not more). Currently being drafted as fantasy's WR24, he's an easy shy-away with only two weeks left until Cincinnati's season opener in Seattle.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 26, 2019, 6:01 PM ET

Took him with the 65th pick overall. Ten team standard redraft. Won’t really need him until bye week in week seven.

Bengals coach Zac Taylor confirmed A.J. Green (ankle) is not a candidate for injured reserve.

Injured reserve would cost Green the first eight games of the season, but Taylor is confident his star receiver will avoid that fate. Doctors laid out a 6-8 week recovery for Green following last month's ankle surgery and Taylor feels that timeframe is still accurate. Beat reporter Jay Morrison of The Athletic suspects Week 3 would be the earliest we'd see Green back in uniform. Coming off his breakout 2018 (and a new contract to boot), Tyler Boyd should be heavily targeted in Green's absence.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Aug 31, 2019, 5:09 PM ET

Got him at 7.10 in FFPC.  I was pretty shocked how far he'd fallen.  Fine with him there.
I went 6.2 (12 team PPR), but I had Beckham and Amari already. I snagged Mike Williams and Pettis just to be safe. I just need him to get healthy. He is definitely a force when he is on the field, so I like him in that range if you can hold your head above water for about 4 weeks.

A.J. Green (ankle) remains in a walking boot.

It's been a month since Green underwent ankle surgery, though the fact that he hasn't shed his walking boot yet would suggest the seven-time Pro Bowler has made minimal progress during that span. The Bengals have so far held off on placing Green on injured reserve, though his timeline remains murky as ever. With Green shelved indefinitely, look for Cincinnati to funnel its passing game through Tyler Boyd.

SOURCE: Geoff Hobson on Twitter

Sep 2, 2019, 12:20 PM ET

If (big if at this point) AJ Green can get back healthy this season the offense appears to be one he could put up some very nice numbers in.

Green doesn't know exactly when he will be cleared to play, but he seems to have a Sept. 30 showdown against AFC North rival Pittsburgh circled on the calendar. "That's Monday night, too. So that'd be a great game to come back," Green said, per Jay Morrison of The Athletic. "You never know what the next two weeks or three weeks are going to bring

Getting Green in the 6-7th round could be a league winner this year.

Weebs210 said:
Green doesn't know exactly when he will be cleared to play, but he seems to have a Sept. 30 showdown against AFC North rival Pittsburgh circled on the calendar. "That's Monday night, too. So that'd be a great game to come back," Green said, per Jay Morrison of The Athletic. "You never know what the next two weeks or three weeks are going to bring

Getting Green in the 6-7th round could be a league winner this year.
Not sure how it's a league winner.  This would be the earliest he'd be back I'd say.  That still puts him missing 25% of the season.  Ross and Boyd aren't fully going away either. 

Not sure how it's a league winner.  This would be the earliest he'd be back I'd say.  That still puts him missing 25% of the season.  Ross and Boyd aren't fully going away either. 
Lots of "league winners" sometimes emerge late. Spending a 6+ pick for a top 12 wr when healthy fits the criteria.

6-92-1

4-69-3

5-58-0

4-78-1

6-112-0

7-85-0

5-76-1

1-7-0 (left with an injury)

Even if you include that game against the Broncos where got hurt he was on pace for 1233 yards and 10-11 touchdowns.

They threw the ball 51 times in a neutral game script week 1. If that trend continues Green will see tons of targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking last week, A.J. Green (ankle) said he expected to be sidelined longer than his publicly reported 6-8 week timetable.

Green went down in the opening days of camp in late July. 6-8 weeks would have had him near a return now. Green said that won't be the case. "I don’t know where they got the 6-8 weeks from. It’s going to be longer than that," were Green's words last Wednesday. "It’s just one of those things that has to heal on its own. When I feel I’m healthy enough to play at the level I’m used to playing, I just want to make sure it’s at 100 percent." Contract-year Green sounds like someone who won't be taking the field until he is either 100 percent healthy, extended or both. Fantasy stashers should not count on Green playing in the month of September.

SOURCE: bengals.com

Sep 17, 2019, 6:04 PM ET

No way that he was going to be back without fully healing in the minimum time expected. I drafted him for the second half of the season. Heal up AJ.

No way that he was going to be back without fully healing in the minimum time expected. I drafted him for the second half of the season. Heal up AJ.
I drafted him with the same expectation.  He plays when he's healthy* and when he plays, he plays well.

*Not a knock, merely a recognition that when he is ready to play, I'll be ready to start him with confidence.

Coach Zac Taylor said he doesn't want to make a timeline on A.J. Green's (ankle) return.

Taylor confirmed that Green won't suit up for the Bengals' Monday night matchup against the Steelers in Week 4. He's also not expected to practice this week. Contract-year Green has sounded like someone who won't be taking the field until he is either 100 percent healthy, extended or both. The Bengals will continue to move forward with Tyler Boyd, John Ross and Auden Tate in 3-WR sets during Green's absence.

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter.

Sep 23, 2019, 3:05 PM ET

just realized that he was dropped and cleared waivers!! just picked him up and will wait and see.  12 team PPR with only 4  bench spots (have barkley on bench).

just realized that he was dropped and cleared waivers!! just picked him up and will wait and see.  12 team PPR with only 4  bench spots (have barkley on bench).
we have 5 bench spots & AJ taking up one of them.   with buys coming up & injuries he better hurry up.

Week 7 is not too bad if you have the roster space to hold. I Traded a dynasty 2nd and D.Freeman in the days after the injury with the expectatation he is back for a fantasy playoff run from weeks 10 on. It will feel like a trade deadline acquisition. When he is on he is $$ so hopefully he gets back and to the AJ level we all know and love.  

He does have a week 9 bye so it's entirely possible he is back with no restrictions week 10 too...

Last edited by a moderator:
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, A.J. Green (ankle) is expected to be out at least through Week 6.

Green has already been ruled out for Monday night's game in Pittsburgh and it doesn't look like he'll be suiting up when the Bengals host Arizona in Week 5 or the following week when Cincy visits Baltimore. There may be more at play than Green's ankle as the contract-year receiver could be holding out for a new deal. At this point, the Bengals probably would have been better off stashing Green on injured reserve than continuing to waste a roster spot on a player who seems nowhere near a return. Tyler Boyd and John Ross will continue to serve as Andy Dalton's primary receivers with Auden Tate also a fixture in three-wide sets.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 30, 2019, 8:52 AM ET

Is anyone trying to buy or sell? What is a fair value for this guy right now (both dyno and redraft)?
I think if your undefeated or comfortable without him or in leagues where say 6 teams make the playoffs it’s worth it to make a play for him.  Especially if you have an IR slot.

i recall him saying a few weeks back that he wouldn’t return until he’s 100%.  Which I’m fine with.

id imagine with this recent news this may be the lowest you can buy him.

I thought this offense might be a surprise and that it could handle 3 receivers and all that, but what a mess the last 2 weeks. 
until improvements to the line can be made - players or scheme'd maybe somehow - this is a dumpster fire. if i were Green, I'm not sure I'd have the stomach for a rebuild because it's YEARS away. trading him might be the best thing for the team and player. he's worth something to another franchise.

Well-reasoned argument there. And for a team as savvy as the Pats, they should have been able to see that AB was not cut out to be a team-player. 

But not sure they would see Green worth a 3rd-rounder (although they usually stockpile mid-round picks like a squirrel with nuts). And it would likely be a slam dunk that he'd sign an extension.

If I were a decent team with suspect receivers (Giants or Niners anyone??), I would jump the line and offer a 3rd and a 6th. Get it done, give your young QB a stud to grow with !

Even if Davante Adams' injury isnt serious, Green Bay would make sense.  Adams and Green outside and let the young guys alternate in the slot.  Shot of adrenaline to what appears to be a declining offense.  Probably the best case scenario for AJG owners.

I think if your undefeated or comfortable without him or in leagues where say 6 teams make the playoffs it’s worth it to make a play for him.  Especially if you have an IR slot.

i recall him saying a few weeks back that he wouldn’t return until he’s 100%.  Which I’m fine with.

id imagine with this recent news this may be the lowest you can buy him.
Wow I feel like an idiot, ive had AJ & Tyreek rotting on my bench all season, didnt think i could IR either of them but i guess all they need to be is OUT in this league. Just tried & worked. Thx Pinky!

No incentive to come back from injury to play for this years Bengals. 
I don’t agree with this...if he didn’t come back and play in 2019 at all, he’d be entering FA coming off two significant foot injuries and not having played an ounce of football since October 2018 (if you’re thinking 2020 season).  I couldn’t see a team guaranteeing a lot of money on a contract for a 32 year old WR with foot issues that hadn’t played in close to two years.

I think it’s pretty important for him to play this year.  That said, he should wait until he absolutely is 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread