What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (8 Viewers)

Was too skittish to play him today but what a game so far. Has a nice run of games coming up so I'm feeling better about starting him for the next 2-3 weeks at least.

10 targets, 10 receptions and 100+ against a great defense in their house. It's now quite obvious what the Raiders need to do to be competitive and that's feed their best player the ball. Miami next in what should be a higher scoring game.

10 targets, 10 receptions and 100+ against a great defense in their house. It's now quite obvious what the Raiders need to do to be competitive and that's feed their best player the ball. Miami next in what should be a higher scoring game.
yeah i thought this too  :kicksrock:

You can't put Cooper in the same sentence as Julio.   Cooper seems like 5th round draft pick that is a normal teams third WR or something.  
Just meant big games here and there, but pedestrian games are way too frequent.  But, in a homeless way.  

He flat out quit on that deep INT, not so much on the pick itself, it was triple coverage I don't blame him for thinking Carr wouldn't be stupid enough to make that throw, but after the pick he half ###ed it behind the play when, with some effort he may have been able to make a play.

Didn't think "quitter" was part of his pre-draft scouting profile but it seems to be a thing now.

He flat out quit on that deep INT, not so much on the pick itself, it was triple coverage I don't blame him for thinking Carr wouldn't be stupid enough to make that throw, but after the pick he half ###ed it behind the play when, with some effort he may have been able to make a play.

Didn't think "quitter" was part of his pre-draft scouting profile but it seems to be a thing now.
He seems soft and doesn't play with the fire I see out of a lot of other players in the league. 

Thing is this is true. And Gruden’s philosophy has always been to feed a WR1. But still nothing in 2/3 games. Obviously under Musgrave as OC it worked and it hasn’t since.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Thing is this is true. And Gruden’s philosophy has always been to feed a WR1. But still nothing in 2/3 games. Obviously under Musgrave as OC it worked and it hasn’t since.
Chaka hit on it earlier, but Olsen is the worst OC I have ever seen.  Cooper and the Raider are doomed as long as he's there.  And I'm about 1 foot away from saying the same thing about Carr.  He's regressed terribly since his 2nd season.  Some speculate it's about his back - I can't say that, although it makes sense - but whatever it is it's clear and obvious.  Unless he turns it around fast they have to consider going in a new direction again.

Chaka hit on it earlier, but Olsen is the worst OC I have ever seen.  Cooper and the Raider are doomed as long as he's there.  And I'm about 1 foot away from saying the same thing about Carr.  He's regressed terribly since his 2nd season.  Some speculate it's about his back - I can't say that, although it makes sense - but whatever it is it's clear and obvious.  Unless he turns it around fast they have to consider going in a new direction again.
I am not sure I buy that it is his back. Maybe mentally because what I see is home.making consistently bad decisions.

No offense to anyone that has him but I love that people keep drafting him in the early rounds so that is one more person that falls to me. Loved Cooper in college but for whatever reason he is just fantasy purgatory. 

Gruden is the problem with his clown play calling .... next week will be the M.Bryant show if the Gruden trend continues while every other player besides Beast Mode tanks

I've sent multiple offers out to trade him away for guys like Penny, Chubb, Guice where I'm RB needy for the future.  I was dumb enough to believe in him but never again.  Better learn it late than never right? 

Derek Carr gives up plays earlier than I'd like,  makes a few bad decisions and his interception number is way to high and in fantasy is not throwing for enough TD's  but he is #3 in NFL in completion percentage and #6 in YPA and it's not due to comp either.

Against the Rams he' got the best completion % and YPA of any of the 3 QB's they have faced this year. Better than any 4 of the QB's the Dolphins have faced this year and of the 3 QB's that Denver faced he has best completion % and barely second in YPA.

He is 8 yards shy of being on pace to throw for 5,000 yards.

Considering it's a new offense he is learning and they've faced some tough comp I think he's actually playing well and I think the TD's and fantasy production will be coming.

I've long been a fan of Cooper and think in week one that Carr not looking his way was all on Carr. But was not an issue in week 2 and Carr was not Coopers issue yesterday. I did not anticipate Cooper having a big game yesterday and benched him in over half of the places I own him but the long stretches of going quiet and drops are very discouraging to say the least. I thought week one was on the coaching and Carr, week 3 was all on Amari.

Gruden is the problem with his clown play calling .... next week will be the M.Bryant show if the Gruden trend continues while every other player besides Beast Mode tanks
Well Gruden did give fantasy owners a huge solid and said a few days ago along the lines of it was Jordy's turn to have a big game.

Gruden is the worst. Love the Raiders but I root for him to lose because he's such a farce to begin with. He's never accomplished anything. Took a Tony Dungy built team, won the SB and proceeded to destroy what Tony built.

So tempted to drop him. 
Depends on who you are dropping him for, but the reality of Cooper's game in the league all through his career so far has been wild inconsistency. This is what you sign on for when you draft Amari -- Top 30 WR with Top 15 upside, who gets those stats in chunks of 4 or 5 games instead of smooth and steady production across every game.

He is who we thought he was ... really thought there was a chance they build the offense around him. Nope.

Crabtree outplayed him for three years. That was all the sign we needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I dumped him for Boyd.....he'll prolly go off next game, and then next one go like 3 for 25 again.....not playing that game anymore.

tempted to ship him and Landry for Keenan Allen in a short bench.  I keep getting back to the "Cooper is the perfect boom/bust WR3 for me"

Landry is actually ranked higher than Allen now too.

Just to get rid of the headache.

Plays like that will make your teammates hate you.  

I learned my lesson with this clown last year.  
I don’t know why or how I convinced myself he was value and in for a bounce back year.

He’s trash and going to really hurt me in my 14 team shallow bench redraft.  ?

Uuuffff.  I'm sure he's already deposited the game check.  Or, maybe he cashed it jic.  

We're shocked as football fans.  Imagine the aneurysm brewing in chuckies dome watching the film.  

And the CLE D is real.  
I don't think that's as bad as people are making out. He clearly did not have the angle and thought it was just thrown away. WRs do this consantly . Just happens that Carr threw the ball at a perfect angle for he DB.

Reminds me a lot of Moss on Raiders. Maybe another trade is brewing ...

ETA

Looking again does he not even see the ball thrown and so stops his route? I can't really tell and don't care enough to go Zapruder on this. Either way terrible football all around in Oakland.

Hoping to move him this week. 

I don't think that's as bad as people are making out. He clearly did not have the angle and thought it was just thrown away. WRs do this consantly . Just happens that Carr threw the ball at a perfect angle for he DB.

Reminds me a lot of Moss on Raiders. Maybe another trade is brewing ...

ETA

Looking again does he not even see the ball thrown and so stops his route? I can't really tell and don't care enough to go Zapruder on this. Either way terrible football all around in Oakland.

Hoping to move him this week. 
Meh.  Had a step and was watching himself on the jumbotron.  The DBs were watching Carr.  Dude quit the route.

He may suck but Carr definitely sucks. He just scrambled out of trouble and can see the whole field. He chuck's a low ℅ pass into triple coverage. 

Talented receiver without a "my ball mentality". Would serve better as a number 2. I think OAK would try to trade him if they weren't already deficient at the position. No way they sign him long term. 

DocHolliday said:
Huh?  Two weeks ago, Carr threw 0 passes away and was almost perfect in accuracy. 
Indeed, I stand corrected. What i was alluding to is the time taken for that play to evolve. I don't recall many/If any deep balls in the 1st 2 games. They were all short/quick passes.

https://twitter.com/MattWaldman/status/1044017718247215105

If you watch this you can see Bryant trailing underneath as well with a step on the D with his hand up. They way Cooper turns around and looks back to the opposite side of where the ball went like he thought the ball was going there

Not sure what's going on with Amari, the way he takes over games, it's obvious he has a lot of talent and is capable of being a #1, but it doesn't seem like he has a fire inside of him. That works for some players, they just go out and do their job and are solid producers, but you don't see that often in #1 WRs. I have him on my dynasty team and I plan to hold him because there's every chance that he'll still develop into a top 5 player. He's only 24 years old. 

He's younger than Adams or Evans, 4-5 years younger than Julio, AB, or AJ Green, only 1 year older than Ridley, and 1 year younger than Kupp.  I don't think he's going to be a good play this year, but I have hopes that he can still develop, even if it's on another team. 

That said, in redraft he was dropped in a league and I'm not picking him up because I'd have to cut Kerryon, Geronimo, or James White. 

Users who are viewing this thread