What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (8 Viewers)

But when people project lower numbers in the future for AB it's due to the new situation he will be in and not about him specifically.  Will he get as many targets?  Will the QB be able to force him the ball even if he is double covered?  Etc.  AB may stay at his elite level for many years to come, but his production could drop due to circumstances beyond his control.
Sure that's all obvious or should be but unless unless we all universally agree that Big Ben is the best QB to ever walk the face of the planet it's also ludicrous to suggest that the top reason he's been that productive is not about him specifically. We can laundry list to death other players who have been in similar positive situations but none that produced like him so consistently over a 6 year period.   Playing with a QB like Big Ben in an offense that got him the ball absolutely helps and why even if I was not a Steelers fan I wish they could have worked it out but this thought process some are throwing out  like he's a product of the system/QB is a horrendous take.  This is the new societal normal. Someone acts out or does something wrong. Social media piles on, everyone piles on,  player starts appearing more toxic and during the process of this piling on  people forget the positive and all anyone can see is the negative stuff people are spouting off left and right.  Amazing how quickly people's perceptions get changed.

People are bashing Brown because he’s earned it.  His behavior has been worse than sophomoric, and apparently it’s been a habit for a long time with him.  PIT and his teammates finally got tired of putting up with it.  Yeah, he’s been great on the field in an optimal situation for him, and yet he still continued to act like a db so much that PIT simply couldn’t tolerate it any more.

Let’s see how he fairs with his attitude in a less than optimal situation.  He was blessed to get a chance to play where he did and he pissed it away through his own actions.  That’s what has people riled up.
I posted his numbers to remind people of how good he is. You are talking about something totally different and also mainly wrong but you do you.

The plan WAS to stockpile picks, free up lots of salary space and build around youth at the core.  I think this plan has come to fruition and now they are going to start the 2 year process of turning these things into a solid nucleus for a strong contender when we hit Vegas.  I am a huge fan of Brown's talent and think he may very well be the best WR in the game.  That said, I'm glad it appears the Raiders weren't willing to dump a first rounder to get him.  To me, I am taking that as a sign of growth for Gruden and the front office.  I have high hopes for this year and next year's drafts putting the Raiders in fine position to be a solid contender when we become the Vegas Raiders in 2020.

Regarding a trade to Oakland, as a (trying-to-be-former) Raiders fan, I’d just like to say: HUH?!?!

what the eff is this team's plan?!
Winning football games, shouldn't that be every teams plan. When Cook is your best receiving weapon a player like AB will be a welcome addition to that offense IF he ends up with the Raiders.

Winning football games, shouldn't that be every teams plan. When Cook is your best receiving weapon a player like AB will be a welcome addition to that offense IF he ends up with the Raiders.
I think Mack might’ve helped with this as well. You know exactly what my point is, though. You trade away young studs to build for the future, get all these picks, and then show interest in an "old" WR with wants to be the highest paid WR in the game. You know it doesn’t add up. 

Ya I just got this update as well.  Quite surprised by this.  We don't have a ton of cap room and we seem to need the picks.
Previous rumor was Aguilar and a pick. A bidding war between these teams could be nice. Maybe squeeze a deal similar to what the bills offered from raiders   

Previous rumor was Aguilar and a pick. A bidding war between these teams could be nice. Maybe squeeze a deal similar to what the bills offered from raiders   
Thing is, Philly doesn't have a 3rd rounder (have 2 2nds though).  I don't think we'd give up a 2, and don't think a 4 is enough.  Maybe a 2020 3rd + Nelson?

Last year the Raiders opening day roster was the oldest in a decade-plus. Gruden then cut Martavis and brought in Brandon Lafell to get a scooch older. Swapping Amari for AB is just Gruden’s modus operandi. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Antonio is making things difficult for potential teams and the steelers are asking for a lot, but what are the true odds of any player picked or a wr picked in this draft at any selection being a hof player or projecting out at AB’s production these next few years ever?

I know Antonio is making things difficult for potential teams and the steelers are asking for a lot, but what are the true odds of any player picked or a wr picked in this draft at any selection being a hof player or projecting out at AB’s production these next few years ever?
True, but you must pay Antonio 5 times as much and there’s the chance he quits the team again

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone ever posts these odds please send me a PM so  I  can bet the over and make some easy money.

That's a pretty weak stretch. Cooper's not AB, I like him a lot but he's not AB. Sometimes a QB/WR pairing just does not work.  One example is Hopkins was worse with Osweiller then Sander or Demaryius. With Carr and Cooper I think part of the problem was you had two relatively quiet players who might even be described as not aggressive. Was a bad match. AB's not going to disappear for quarters/games.

I'd also add that while AB has not in my opinion lost a step that Gruden has arguably got the most production out of 30+ year old WR's in the history of the NFL. As I've said before even the corpse of Jordy Nelson started cooking late last year.

Heading into this I viewed Oakland as the 4th best destination for AB's value.  As an AB owner I'd be pretty happy all things considered, which means I'd rather he stayed in Pittsburgh but this is as close to as good  as  I could have expected.
Sure, I was being a bit of a jerk to Antonio with that projection. I could see him in the 82-1075 range. He is definitely a great wide receiver, one of the best of all time. He has also been fortunate enough to have a WR friendly offense, an HOF QB, and other threats on offense to keep defenses honest. I do not doubt his talent, but if he ends up in OAK he will have a drastic reduction of production (certainly not all his fault).

Couldn’t find his full stats, but there is a pretty massive drop off in ABs stats when Ben doesn’t play. Now granted the other QBs were mostly garbage. 

Couldn’t find his full stats, but there is a pretty massive drop off in ABs stats when Ben doesn’t play. Now granted the other QBs were mostly garbage. 
Since he full on broke out 6 years ago he's had 5 games without Ben.  3 of those games were started by Michael Vick and two by Landry Jones.

He was awful with Michael Vick. 5/42, 3/45, 3/24. But all he needed was someone the caliber of Landry Jones to go 6/124 and 7/106. Add it all up and prorate it over 16 weeks and with a god awful duo of old Vick and Landry Jones it's 77/1,107.  Since 3 games out of 5 were bad I guess if you really want to beat the he was garbage in most games drum then beat away.

So are most other QBs in the league.
See above.

Old Michael Vick and Landry Jones who has not been able to land on a roster since as even a backup are not anything remotely on par with most other QB's in the league.

Exactly why the Steelers need to play hardball. He is worth a 1st round plus period. He is that good and should be for at least 2 years. I think there could be slight regression but what does that look like. I think it would look really good on my team though they would never trade him to my team.
 I wish they would, I really do. Don't like their whole approach they've taken on this AB fiasco since it started and really think if they had it to do over again they'd do a lot of things differently.

I could see him in the 82-1075 range.
He's not QB proof, no one is. Had he landed in Buffalo that's about the range I'd have put him, maybe a little less on receptions and more yards as I think he'd have become more of a big play guy and less volume. And this was point I meant to make earlier when referencing Osweiller. Some QB/WR pairings are particularly bad fits. Osweiller is good for no one, but his reluctance to trust Hopkins to make a play was a particularly bad fit with Hopkins who is one of those open when he's not guys. In AB's case playing with an inaccruate QB would be the worst thing for him.  Josh Allen would have been a horrendous fit.

If he's a Raider, especially studying success of older WR's under Gruden, targets I'd expect him to get on team that rarely will have chances to sit on a lead, I'd put him in the 100/1200 range, basically lower end of the worst he's been in past 6 years. 

He's not QB proof, no one is. Had he landed in Buffalo that's about the range I'd have put him, maybe a little less on receptions and more yards as I think he'd have become more of a big play guy and less volume. And this was point I meant to make earlier when referencing Osweiller. Some QB/WR pairings are particularly bad fits. Osweiller is good for no one, but his reluctance to trust Hopkins to make a play was a particularly bad fit with Hopkins who is one of those open when he's not guys. In AB's case playing with an inaccruate QB would be the worst thing for him.  Josh Allen would have been a horrendous fit.

If he's a Raider, especially studying success of older WR's under Gruden, targets I'd expect him to get on team that rarely will have chances to sit on a lead, I'd put him in the 100/1200 range, basically lower end of the worst he's been in past 6 years. 
I just think it is hard to compare Gruden of past to now. It is not out of question that the game has passed him by and he may have not have what it takes to lead a successful offense in today’s game (some have debated that he was a bit overrated back in the day). I just don’t think it is a forgone conclusion that Brown puts up above average numbers without his HOF QB, WR friendly offense, and multiple other threats to keep the defense honest. Time will tell, should be an interesting development to watch.

I just think it is hard to compare Gruden of past to now. It is not out of question that the game has passed him by and he may have not have what it takes to lead a successful offense in today’s game (some have debated that he was a bit overrated back in the day). I just don’t think it is a forgone conclusion that Brown puts up above average numbers without his HOF QB, WR friendly offense, and multiple other threats to keep the defense honest. Time will tell, should be an interesting development to watch.
I found the way Jordy Nelson finished the season pretty encouraging myself and all kidding aside he looked so bad to me last year that a few times I thought he might retire before end of season.

Will be interesting for sure. AB sure is will have a point to prove he can do without Ben and I don't think this was lost on the Steelers when they tried to send him to Buffalo either. Nothing is a foregone conclusion but if he's a Raider I'll be investing with confidence.

So what is the moron going to do if they cant trade him? I hope it comes to that & he sits out so he doesn't get paid. What does that tell you when they cant get even get remotely decent compensation. They took care of him financially when they didn't have to. I didn't like what bell did but he wasn't under contract.  Screw Brown,  he is an idiot, and I think has mental issues. If he plays somewhere else next year you can cut last years numbers in half at least. 

So what is the moron going to do if they cant trade him? I hope it comes to that & he sits out so he doesn't get paid. What does that tell you when they cant get even get remotely decent compensation. They took care of him financially when they didn't have to. I didn't like what bell did but he wasn't under contract.  Screw Brown,  he is an idiot, and I think has mental issues. If he plays somewhere else next year you can cut last years numbers in half at least. 
Uh oh.  Meno Brown is not going to be very happy about this post.   :)

Could not agree more. Could not have been handled worse which is surprising. I think the whole Bell fiasco left some open wounds and they imploded when this AB situation started.
In light of updated reports suggesting his contract demands continue to be an issue it's time for Steelers to take back control. I'm sure a team out there will pay AB $18-20M, I'm sure a team out there will compensate the Steelers to their pleasing for him, but I don't think any team will do both of those things.

Here is what I can only hope Colbert is telling Rosenhaus/AB tonight. "We tried to do right for all parties and find a trade partner but your contract negotiations have impeded all trade progress. We will not accept any less compensation then we agreed to with team X, if you are unable to agree to contract terms with team X based on compensation we are getting back by start of the new league year we are pulling AB off the trade market and he will be a Steeler in 2019 or he will not play in the NFL. Please be advised any mandatory missed time will be fined up to an including recouping any previously paid bonus money should AB choose to sit out out any portion of the 2019 season. You have until the new league year."

But 50 posts saying the same stuff over and over again is productive?
I've discussed a variety of topics on AB and I've been far from universally positive regarding him and general highly critical of his actions this from week 17 till now. A lot of simple jacks in here that can't differentiate between being down on his current actions and still acknowledging he's been and remains a great player.

Bad takes and idiots are a waste of my time.
Did you just call me an idiot?   :)  

My whole point is you’re simply taking everything too personal.  Relax.  Antonio is not gonna come on here and thank you for defending him no matter what anybody says about him.  

Did you just call me an idiot?   :)  

My whole point is you’re simply taking everything too personal.  Relax.  Antonio is not gonna come on here and thank you for defending him no matter what anybody says about him.  
I'd have put your opinion in the bad takes department. The Irish guy in the idiot aisle but I don't read his takes anymore.

Not a thing about me is taking this personal and that is a baseless accusation.  Contrary to your belief I've not defended him at all costs and have been pretty down on everything he's done since week 17 but I can separate how he's acting from the player he is.

I think Mack might’ve helped with this as well. You know exactly what my point is, though. You trade away young studs to build for the future, get all these picks, and then show interest in an "old" WR with wants to be the highest paid WR in the game. You know it doesn’t add up. 
This Raider fan will except AB with open arms. This team needs offensive weapons. I don't care how old AB is he is still one of the best WR's in the league.

Sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me about the Mack trade. Did I want to lose Mack, nope, but let's be honest the team didn't win many games with him on the team.

I'd have put your opinion in the bad takes department. The Irish guy in the idiot aisle but I don't read his takes anymore.

Not a thing about me is taking this personal and that is a baseless accusation.  Contrary to your belief I've not defended him at all costs and have been pretty down on everything he's done since week 17 but I can separate how he's acting from the player he is.
I actually went through and saw some of your critical comments.  So you’re not defending him no matter what.  But for a while you seemed to not acknowledge Browns craziness recently.  

Yea, his stats are incredible.  But he’s close to being the most unstable WR of all time. And there’s definitely been some crazies out there.  

This Raider fan will except AB with open arms. This team needs offensive weapons. I don't care how old AB is he is still one of the best WR's in the league.

Sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me about the Mack trade. Did I want to lose Mack, nope, but let's be honest the team didn't win many games with him on the team.
Will you accept him at $20mil per year? I'd be pretty pissed paying him that much based on our roster. The only good thing is we have no up and coming young WR's that he can poison.

Users who are viewing this thread