What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeAndre Hopkins, TEN (2 Viewers)

Forgot how good he was.

I was trying to trade him for anything resembling a TE this year, and got a lot of 'meh, not feeling him' responses.

Now I'm that tool in the league chat thanking everyone for not trading with me.

Forgot how good he was.

I was trying to trade him for anything resembling a TE this year, and got a lot of 'meh, not feeling him' responses.

Now I'm that tool in the league chat thanking everyone for not trading with me.
Most of the best trades I've ever been involved in were the ones I ended up not making.

Forgot how good he was.

I think a lot of people did.

I had one dynasty league, and I was actually thick headed enough to initially turn this offer down before @barackdhouse talked some sense into me , where I was offered Hop/Dotson/2nd for Juedy/3rd.

In redraft I've not owned him a lot over most of his career and I'm someone who has been hovering in that 30'ish range of redraft managed teams the past few years. I got to admit when I saw he was suspended I thought it was a great buying opportunity because I think people overrate early season absences. My theory has always been you just drafted a team so it's not likely to be overly injury riddled to start the season and specifically this year I noticed that we only had one 4-team bye week before he returned. So basically covering for him for 6 weeks did not seem that challenging for what was usually the cost of a 7th you got what at the time I viewed as a top 20 WR for ROS. He has of course exceeded my expectations.

This is why I was a bit nervous seeing him pop up on the injury report as I drafted him on a little more then a third of my teams. He was my most drafted WR in a year I've already lost my most drafted QB(Lance), second most drafted RB(Hall-and Jeff Wilson was my most drafted and I cut him in 100% of leagues, ouch) and my most drafted TE(Njoku). When the tide is going that way you get caught up in it and assume the worst.

I traded for him for both my contending dynasty teams. I think I gave a late 2 and a late 3 in one league and a late 2 and Corey Davis is another. And drafted him in 3/4 redrafts. Seems like he was fairly limited so maybe not entirely out of the woods yet.

Forgot how good he was.

I had one dynasty league, and I was actually thick headed enough to initially turn this offer down before @barackdhouse talked some sense into me , where I was offered Hop/Dotson/2nd for Juedy/3rd.

In redraft I've not owned him a lot over most of his career and I'm someone who has been hovering in that 30'ish range of redraft managed teams the past few years. I got to admit when I saw he was suspended I thought it was a great buying opportunity because I think people overrate early season absences. My theory has always been you just drafted a team so it's not likely to be overly injury riddled to start the season and specifically this year I noticed that we only had one 4-team bye week before he returned. So basically covering for him for 6 weeks did not seem that challenging for what was usually the cost of a 7th you got what at the time I viewed as a top 20 WR for ROS. He has of course exceeded my expectations.

This is why I was a bit nervous seeing him pop up on the injury report as I drafted him on a little more then a third of my teams. He was my most drafted WR in a year I've already lost my most drafted QB(Lance), second most drafted RB(Hall-and Jeff Wilson was my most drafted and I cut him in 100% of leagues, ouch) and my most drafted TE(Njoku). When the tide is going that way you get caught up in it and assume the worst.
That was part of it for some people, but it's not like that was the only concern. He was coming off of a down year (other than TDs) and missed a good chunk of it due to injury, plus the question of the impact of the PEDs. He's the same age as when Julio fell of the cliff.

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury called DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring) missed practice on Thursday a "maintenance deal."​

Hopkins returned to practice on Friday. It looks like he'll be able to get active for Monday's matchup against the 49ers. It's a tough matchup for Hopkins, but he's been so good -- and the available WR pool this week is so depleted -- that he's likely still on the WR2 line.
SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter
Nov 18, 2022, 1:57 PM ET

Forgot how good he was.

That was part of it for some people, but it's not like that was the only concern. He was coming off of a down year (other than TDs) and missed a good chunk of it due to injury, plus the question of the impact of the PEDs. He's the same age as when Julio fell of the cliff.
I would say using him in an almost Michael Thomas manner, moving him around more then they did previously, the targets , these are all things that have exceeded my expectations. He's looked like I thought he would.

I do think people over estimated his play last year. He did dip in fantasy production last year but I felt that was more of a function of lower target volume then he normally used to see. And when I reference his season last year I basically end my evaluation of him after week 7 when he got hurt. At that time he was WR18 in PPG and this is why I referenced earlier I thought I was buying a top 20 WR for ROS, not necessarily a top 5 WR like he's shown in the past.

Also I got to mention that Julio actually balled out in his age 30 season. AB did as well though I felt I started to see a little decline. That was end for both of them to string together full productive fantasy seasons. While both of their declines were due more to health and off field issues for AB it is something to consider in dynasty regarding Hopkins future. And maybe Davante Adams as well. I can't remember all of it but I remember when Adams got traded I looked it up and life has not been good for 30+ fantasy WR's. Those two years by Julio and AB are about it and then at 31+, which Hopkins will be next season, it's gets super bad. I've always thought Hopkins game translated well to aging but you never know and it does seem you can almost bank on more injuries cropping up which we are already seeing with Hopkins who has been super durable in his career.

Forgot how good he was.

I would say using him in an almost Michael Thomas manner, moving him around more then they did previously, the targets , these are all things that have exceeded my expectations. He's looked like I thought he would.

I do think people over estimated his play last year. He did dip in fantasy production last year but I felt that was more of a function of lower target volume then he normally used to see. And when I reference his season last year I basically end my evaluation of him after week 7 when he got hurt. At that time he was WR18 in PPG and this is why I referenced earlier I thought I was buying a top 20 WR for ROS, not necessarily a top 5 WR like he's shown in the past.

Also I got to mention that Julio actually balled out in his age 30 season. AB did as well though I felt I started to see a little decline. That was end for both of them to string together full productive fantasy seasons. While both of their declines were due more to health and off field issues for AB it is something to consider in dynasty regarding Hopkins future. And maybe Davante Adams as well. I can't remember all of it but I remember when Adams got traded I looked it up and life has not been good for 30+ fantasy WR's. Those two years by Julio and AB are about it and then at 31+, which Hopkins will be next season, it's gets super bad. I've always thought Hopkins game translated well to aging but you never know and it does seem you can almost bank on more injuries cropping up which we are already seeing with Hopkins who has been super durable in his career.
Sure, but even WR18 in PPG is a huge drop from his perennial top 5 WR finishes. Just seeing that gives reason for pause, it very well could be indicative of the beginning of the end. Add in the knee injury and the PED uncertainty and there was more than just the 6 games missed to consider, that's all I was saying. The age wasn't exact but this is season 10 for Hopkins, which was the same as the cliff dive for Julio and AB. Again, doesn't mean he can't be great this year (or even the next couple) but just another consideration when drafting. Father time always wins eventually, and when it does, it can happen very quickly.

Forgot how good he was.

Sure, but even WR18 in PPG is a huge drop from his perennial top 5 WR finishes. Just seeing that gives reason for pause, it very well could be indicative of the beginning of the end. Add in the knee injury and the PED uncertainty and there was more than just the 6 games missed to consider, that's all I was saying. The age wasn't exact but this is season 10 for Hopkins, which was the same as the cliff dive for Julio and AB. Again, doesn't mean he can't be great this year (or even the next couple) but just another consideration when drafting. Father time always wins eventually, and when it does, it can happen very quickly.

Yeah it was certainly easy to think the writing was on the wall and he would quietly fade into irrelevance after last year. The vast, vast majority of players that have down seasons on the bad side of 30 end up just fading away, even without a looming PED suspension.

I still have Hopkins in some dynasties (mostly because no one was interested in trying to buy him) so I am enjoying this run. But a top 5 bounce back was definitely the surprise scenario here, not the obvious one.

Forgot how good he was.

I had zero worries, saw no decline in his game last yera. Not saying that after the fact, posted here back in off-season he was a great deal at his new cost. No need to get caught up in whether he you considered him top 5, top 15, etc, etc. In early drafts before his suspension he was going around the 3/4 turn and was a target of mine in that range then he turned into basically a 4 round discount for missing the 6 easiest games of the year to cover for his absence. That's value to me regardless if he's nothing more then a rock solid mid WR2.

Forgot how good he was.

Yeah it was certainly easy to think the writing was on the wall and he would quietly fade into irrelevance after last year. The vast, vast majority of players that have down seasons on the bad side of 30 end up just fading away, even without a looming PED suspension.

I still have Hopkins in some dynasties (mostly because no one was interested in trying to buy him) so I am enjoying this run. But a top 5 bounce back was definitely the surprise scenario here, not the obvious one.
I have him in both my dynasties and was fully intent on selling him to start a rebuild on the fly, especially as his value his spiked a bit since he came back. [Un]fortunately some bad breaks to some of the better teams in both my leagues have put me in a position where I can legitimately contend this year so I'm in that perfect position of sell now as his value will never be higher, or pray to squeeze out 1 more title.

CBS Sports' Josina Anderson reports DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring) is "good to go" for Monday night against the 49ers.​

Hopkins carried a questionable tag heading into the weekend after popping up on the team's injury report Thursday. He was able to log some limited sessions later in the week and appears set to serve as Colt McCoy's lead receiver against the 49ers. Hopkins has gotten off to a hot start after serving a six-game suspension. In his first four games back, he's totaled 36 receptions for 396 yards and two touchdowns and is somehow on pace for a 1,000-yard season.
SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter
Nov 21, 2022, 10:59 AM ET

Best thing about DHop if you have him in a keeper or Dynasty league is, he’s exactly the type of wide receiver thats game ages well. He’s never relied on his athleticism. He’s always had an old man game. Could easily see him playing like this at 35.

DeAndre Hopkins caught 9-of-12 targets for 91 yards in the Cardinals' Week 11 loss to the 49ers.​

It was largely business as usual for Hopkins as he led the team in receiving prior to sitting for most of the fourth quarter once Colt McCoy gave way to Trace McSorley with the team down by four scores. Hopkins has been a much needed revelation for the Cardinals, seeing 12 or more targets in four of his five games this season. Fantasy managers that toughed out his six-game suspension should continue reaping the rewards as Hopkins is firmly entrenched in the top six in PPR points per game at the wide receiver position.
Nov 21, 2022, 11:53 PM ET

He is taking a serious beating with these short routes.

heading into the fantasy playoffs I am
loving that week 13 bye, they need Murray back as well that will help

DeAndre Hopkins caught 7-of-11 targets for 79 yards in the Cardinals' Week 14 loss to the Patriots.​

Hopkins lost a costly fumble in the third quarter of a tie game, which Raekwon McMillan scooped and returned for a 23-yard fumble recovery touchdown. The Patriots would tack on an additional score early in the fourth quarter and hold the Cardinals off the scoreboard, generating four additional sacks and two turnover on downs during the final frame. Hopkins will look to get back on track in another difficult matchup against the Broncos in Week 15.
Dec 13, 2022, 12:23 AM ET

DeAndre Hopkins caught 7-of-11 targets for 60 yards in the Cardinals' Week 15 loss to the Broncos.​

Hopkins led the Cardinals in receiving on the day, but never hit a consistent rhythm with Colt McCoy and Trace McSorley leading the way. Two of his receptions accounted for more than half of his receiving yards, as the Cardinals' star receiver was largely held in check by a stout Denver defense. Whether it's Colt McCoy (concussion) or Trace McSorley under center next week when the Cardinals take on the Buccaneers, neither is ideal for Hopkins' fantasy upside. He should still see plenty of volume, and can be treated as a fringe WR1/WR2 in Week 16.
Dec 18, 2022, 8:12 PM ET

Stat line thoughts on DHop with McCoy out?
I've long said Michael Thomas is the most QB proof WR in the league but Hopkins is in the conversation as he's played with a ton of subpar QB's and only one he could not put up numbers with was Brock Osweiler.

So that leaves a door open for some optimism but McSorely is not an NFL level passer, not a backup level NFL passer. He's hanging onto his job as a third stringer due to having some athleticism and maybe some intangibles. So my expectations are more along the lines of the kind of production he had with Brock Osweiler

I'm thinking something in the range of 4-6 catches/50-70 yards and most likely not a TD.

Trace was really bad but that was expected. Really surprised/disappointed Kliff couldn’t get Nuk involved. The Bucs CBs were still scared of him and playing off. I expected him to be the first read and feast on short routes as Trace’s first and easiest read- and they were there for the taking. Didn’t happen. Pretty dumb.

Tough stat line for Hopkins, but luckily I had Zay Jones in the lineup to more than triple Hopkins' yardage. My opponent (a GB) texted me last night sending me crisis hotline numbers. Love it. If you're gonna go down in flames, make it memorable, like the Hindenburg.

Brutal time for a goose egg.

Dude has been an absolute stud this year. I was skeptical of him. Dunno how many more years he has at this level, but definitely surprised me.

I thought about not starting him because of Trace, but did it anyway since everyone still had him ranked high.

I ended up needing 11 yards from him to win my game.

He had about 10 targets, all of which were horrible. Trace didn't seem to have that much trouble throwing to anyone else.

He had about 10 targets, all of which were horrible. Trace didn't seem to have that much trouble throwing to anyone else.
Everything he threw outside was a total mess. Not nfl caliber throws. He hit 83 on a bunch of short middle routes and he made yards with the ball after.
I'm not sure Armstrong completed any passes than went farther than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage aside from that one to Brown in the fourth quarter.

Crazy to think I'm sitting here heading into week 17 hoping for Colt McCoy to return. And from what I had read a few days ago I think he'll be cleared, just got to hope no one in Arizona wants to give McSorely another shot because the game was close.

I put the odds of Hopkins playing his final two games in Arizona as relatively high. They did look at some deals involving him near the deadline and I expect them to move on after this season. The FA market WR class is fairly barren and the draft class is short on studs this year which should help their market.

Was just thinking last night in this one dynasty league I made what has seemed like a great trade for Hopkins and how that trade might cost me a championship. I gave Juedy and a third for Hopkins, Dotson and a second.

I clinched top seed in this league in week 11, a point I only bring up to say I'd have been a top seed regardless of Hopkins or not. If I don't make that trade I would have had Juedy in my lineup and that difference is looming large right now. Still got next week to make it up as this is the two week FFPC playoff format but just hate when you make a trade, FA pickup, draft pick or whatever that all year seems good and then at the wrong place and time you look back in hindsight and wish you never had picked up the player.

I won despite Hopkins and am going into the ship with him again... Tough to see Brandon Aiyuk(my bench) over him in Travdog's rankings. I just have to start my studs but geez he went 1 for 10 in week 16, no way that can happen twice in a row right?

I won despite Hopkins and am going into the ship with him again... Tough to see Brandon Aiyuk(my bench) over him in Travdog's rankings. I just have to start my studs but geez he went 1 for 10 in week 16, no way that can happen twice in a row right?
I would have zero worries and consider him an absolute must start if McCoy is back, which I anticipate being the case.

Was sick of Evans, so putting Algeier in the flex, but now may have to replace Hopkins with Evans. Got to admit, didn't see this coming

Hate to see this and even if I was not scared off about Blough(and I am) Hopkins himself leaving practice with a knee issue seals the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread