What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeAndre Hopkins, TEN (2 Viewers)

The teams that could really use him, won't risk it. You need to be confident enough in your position to bring in a possible pain in the butt.

If he goes to KC, and it goes badly, no one will hold it against Reid. But if he goes to
Chicago, and he's a problem, maybe that's bad for Eberflus.

I would LOVE to see some team give him escalating bonuses tied to team accomplishments. Maybe he can make extra 3 mill if they get to conference title game. Make him totally invested in team success.
49ers
:wub:

I'm curious as to how they would fit him under their cap. OTC has them with $650,000 remaining.
They 'can' fit him under the cap.

The Dawgs - A Cleveland Browns Podcast
@thedawgspodcast
Check our math if we're wrong. But the #Browns currently have $6.7M in cap space. On Thursday, JJ3 and Jadeveon Clowney's numbers fall off, giving the Browns an additional $11.4M. In total, we'll have $18.1M available. All I'm sayin' is the Browns roster is looking pretty solid, so let's go ahead and add DeAndre Hopkins, shall we?

Even though its 'possible' Andrew Berry has to see the cascading effects which 'may' include not having enough to extend Amari Cooper next year amongst other issues that it would cause.
I like this take.

Jack Duffin@JackDuffin
I’m not a fan of this move but explaining the process of dHop A WR will want out due to no targets for them. DPJ most likely as a FA in 24 To balance that move with a cap consequence, Cooper not here for 2024 Personally I keep the current WR room and add DT in FA instead

Hope it's KC because they need a boost at the position more than Cleveland. E. Moore and Cooper take a hit if he goes to the Browns. I don't see Toney or S. Moore being affected as much, and they may even get a boost with him there.

The teams that could really use him, won't risk it. You need to be confident enough in your position to bring in a possible pain in the butt.

If he goes to KC, and it goes badly, no one will hold it against Reid. But if he goes to
Chicago, and he's a problem, maybe that's bad for Eberflus.

I would LOVE to see some team give him escalating bonuses tied to team accomplishments. Maybe he can make extra 3 mill if they get to conference title game. Make him totally invested in team success.
Agree with this take. Andy Reid has a tendancy and history of DGAF'ing about player character as long as he thingks they can play. If it fails, it fails. Everyone will be just like "The GOAT took a shot and it didn't work, if Mahomes couldn't make it work nobody could"

I know we keep hearing KC, but I'm curious as to how they would fit him under their cap. OTC has them with $650,000 remaining
They can make it work and for them it would be really easy.

They have a few players on their team they could convert salary to bonus to free up cap space. Not sure they can wait on this but if they get Chris Jones extended that would free up cap space.

Hopkins contract could be structured like Odell's with void years and which is why his cap charge is a little under $4M.

Even if his pay comes in north of $15m next season almost every team can make it work if they want to and add him and deal with financial repercussions to the cap hit this year or in later years.

Texans beat writer Brooks Kubena said free agent WR DeAndre Hopkins is interested in returning to the Texans.

According to Kubena, this news comes from "a person with knowledge of the situation." Hopkins returning to the Texans would go against the widely held belief that he's looking to sign with a potential Super Bowl contender in 2023, but an opportunity to return to the team he spent the first seven years of his career with could be an intriguing option for him. The Texans could undoubtedly use Hopkins' presence on and off the field, as he brings a veteran quality leadership and familiarity with the organization. His production in a suspension-shortened season last year (64-717-3) was enough to suggest he's got plenty left in the tank to give rookie quarterback C.J. Stroud a top target for the first few years of his career as the Texans look to rebuild a team that's won just 11 games over the last three seasons.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Houston Chronicle
Jun 1, 2023, 11:46 AM ET

The Athletic's Zac Jackson writes "[Deshaun] Watson said he regularly talks to Hopkins and has long considered him a brother, so we can assume a private full-court press is also taking place."

Watson came out adamantly for signing DeAndre Hopkins in a press availability on Tuesday, and Jackson also notes that "The Browns were under no obligation to make Watson available to reporters Tuesday, and given the history between Watson and Hopkins, they knew what questions were coming when they did." Jackson seems to believe that there is some sense to signing Hopkins despite a fairly stacked wideout room because "given that so much of what’s gone on with the Browns over the last 15 months (and will go on in the next two seasons) is tied to Watson being between good and great, the relationship matters." Hopkins' free agency seems to be shifting away from the championship-level AFC teams and towards the Browns and Texans.
RELATED:

SOURCE: The Athletic
Jun 1, 2023, 3:04 PM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports free agent DeAndre Hopkins is "prepared to be patient."

Not to be cynical, but what it really means is that no one has shown Hopkins the money. Per Fowler, Hopkins considers June's mandatory minicamp a "soft deadline," with training camp a "harder deadline." Interest in Hopkins appears to be genuinely widespread, but it can be difficult for teams to find the money in the couch cushions this time of year.
SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter
Jun 1, 2023, 8:39 PM ET

KPRC's Aaron Wilson reports there's a "strong possibility" DeAndre Hopkins signs with the Browns.

Wilson is a longtime Texans insider who covered Hopkins and Watson in Houston. In Cleveland, Hopkins would reunited with Deshaun Watson, who tore up opposing secondaries with Hopkins as his No. 1 wideout in Houston before his legal troubles. Hopkins, released by the Cardinals last week, is reportedly considering a range of teams, including the Bills, Chiefs, and Texans. If he were to land with the Browns, Amari Cooper's fantasy prospects would take a major hit. A target magnet for his entire NFL career, Hopkins would certainly have top-12 fantasy upside in a Browns offense widely expected to be more pass-heavy in 2023.
RELATED:

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Jun 2, 2023, 10:00 AM ET

Jackson McCurry
@JackMcCurry08
The way Schefter spoke on his podcast regarding DHop, sounds like barring a team out of nowhere…..it’ll be Kansas City or Cleveland landing DeAndre Hopkins
I know we keep hearing KC, but I'm curious as to how they would fit him under their cap. OTC has them with $650,000 remaining.
KC has plenty of flexibility within their 2024 cap to make this work if they want to. I think Nuk's camp is leveraging the Browns to maximize what they can get out of them (or a mystery team).

Jackson McCurry
@JackMcCurry08
The way Schefter spoke on his podcast regarding DHop, sounds like barring a team out of nowhere…..it’ll be Kansas City or Cleveland landing DeAndre Hopkins
I know we keep hearing KC, but I'm curious as to how they would fit him under their cap. OTC has them with $650,000 remaining.
KC has plenty of flexibility within their 2024 cap to make this work if they want to. I think Nuk's camp is leveraging the Browns to maximize what they can get out of them (or a mystery team).
I don't doubt they can make it work for 2023, but I'm curious as to how they free up the space. OTC still shows KC with only $652K remaining for their 2023 cap. That's not enough to even give him the veteran minimum, so they'd have to do some maneuvering first.

Jackson McCurry
@JackMcCurry08
I don't doubt they can make it work for 2023, but I'm curious as to how they free up the space. OTC still shows KC with only $652K remaining for their 2023 cap. That's not enough to even give him the veteran minimum, so they'd have to do some maneuvering first.
Rigjt, but look at the next tab over. They have a ton of space in 2024 to move 2023 cap spending towards if they want to.

Jackson McCurry
@JackMcCurry08
I answered this a few posts up.

They just have to convert salary to bonus and spread out the cap hit.

Here is a concrete example. Take about $14Million of Joe Thuney's $15m base bay, convert it to a bonus and that would clear out up to $11M in cap space with that simple move.

They have a few others moves they could do, this is just one example of a something available to them to clear cap space.

Jackson McCurry
@JackMcCurry08
Its possible they could be leveraging the Browns, but its also a great fit. Honestly, other than KC, its probably the best fit, being that they have a Franchise QB (who already has a rapport with Hopkins) and a path to the #1 WR role (sorry Amari, but they would likely be a 1A/1B) and cap space, especially if Watson is willing to restructure to fit him in.

If Hopkins went to the Browns, I figure they'd probably look to trade Peoples-Jones for whatever and roll with Hopkins/Cooper/Moore/Tillman as the top-4.

Browns make more sense to me than Buffalo does.

Jackson McCurry
@JackMcCurry08

If Hopkins went to the Browns, I figure they'd probably look to trade Peoples-Jones for whatever and roll with Hopkins/Cooper/Moore/Tillman as the top-4.
Yeah they were talking about this on NFL-Radio yesterday. They (and myself too) thought that there'd probably be a good number of teams looking for a WR like DPJ.

The team that is in a rebuild, cutting all the high salary guys not named Henry? Would be a shocker.
They are indeed rebuilding, but still want to win and have virtually no one at WR outside of Burks. A guy like Hopkins would also be good for Levis when he takes over.
I don't disagree with this at all. But from what I have read he "wants to be paid like OBJ" and I just don't see that happening in TN.

The team that is in a rebuild, cutting all the high salary guys not named Henry? Would be a shocker.
They are indeed rebuilding, but still want to win and have virtually no one at WR outside of Burks. A guy like Hopkins would also be good for Levis when he takes over.
I don't disagree with this at all. But from what I have read he "wants to be paid like OBJ" and I just don't see that happening in TN.
Fair point, although he may find that he may not be paid like OBJ by any team. While he certainly should get more than OBJ, he may not have much leverage unless there is some kind of bidding war - no guarantee of that.

Fair point, although he may find that he may not be paid like OBJ by any team. While he certainly should get more than OBJ, he may not have much leverage unless there is some kind of bidding war - no guarantee of that.
Agree, he may have been cut too late and won't find a market that he likes. If it comes to that, he probably will take the best 1-year deal he can do try and reload again next year. Not sure Tennessee is the best place for a guy in this scenario, that will want 120+ targets most likely to achieve his personal goals. Never know though!

The market just isn’t there for contending teams to sign a WR on the wrong side of 30 to a big contract, especially this late into free agency. Or else someone would have done it already. So makes sense it’s moving to other teams now, No one has a bigger need at WR than Tennessee. Titans with one more year of Henry could still make a playoff run if they upgrade WR, provided the offensive line plays better this year. I don’t think the Jags have the division locked down just yet, even if they are close.

They don’t have a ton of cap room left though. They can offer maybe $5 million or so, maybe add some incentives. I’m sure it’s going to be a one year deal wherever he signs. Maybe that’s about the most DHop can really expect at this point. They can go full on rebuild next year when they are going to have a lot more cap space, and they may already have their young QB in place then. So a signing in Tennessee does still make some sense.

It wouldn't be a shocker if he signed there. They have little cap space this year but 97mil next year(BTW same as Arthur did in ATL). His OC is the Titans new OC and along with Vrabel there are a few other former Texans coaches.

He would definitely be the #1 and get a reasonably accurate veteran QB. (Remember he's not looking to play with a rookie QB so..bad news for Levis fans) Tannehill is Tannehill. The guy is what he is. He's not awful or great. We all know his ability.

The Titans former GM would have signed him and pushed the salary off. Their new GM is trying to be more frugal, more responsible, and did not sign anyone expensive. The only big dollar spending was re-signing Big Jeff who is an elite player. Even Tart who was just re-signed only got like 4 mil and some Sundays he's arguably the best NT in the league. There's a different "let's be responsible" tone with this GM Ran Carthon.

I'd predict an incentive laden deal. Not because it's cliche to say but because OBJ got too much and now they have to offer a deal in that ballpark.

The Titans history of signing WRs late in their career is awful- Yancey, Moulds, Moss, Andre, and Julio.

Besides that he'd walk on as the #1, one thing in their favor possibly maybe could be that Julio and Andre were treated well. No one from the team bashed their injuries w age or anything. Vrabel was professional w Julio and...idk maybe this matters to Nuk

The market just isn’t there for contending teams to sign a WR on the wrong side of 30 to a big contract, especially this late into free agency. Or else someone would have done it already. So makes sense it’s moving to other teams now, No one has a bigger need at WR than Tennessee. Titans with one more year of Henry could still make a playoff run if they upgrade WR, provided the offensive line plays better this year. I don’t think the Jags have the division locked down just yet, even if they are close.

They don’t have a ton of cap room left though. They can offer maybe $5 million or so, maybe add some incentives. I’m sure it’s going to be a one year deal wherever he signs. Maybe that’s about the most DHop can really expect at this point. They can go full on rebuild next year when they are going to have a lot more cap space, and they may already have their young QB in place then. So a signing in Tennessee does still make some sense.
Semantics to say they're not in rebuild as a reply but that IS what they've said repeatedly this off-season.
They seem pretty regular except at WR.
Few older guys, lots of young, lots of 3-5 year guys.
The problem is a predictable end of success at many positions.
Henry could run for 1500 again but what if he hits the wall?
What if Byard does?
The young CBs could reach their draft potential. The young linemen could pan out.
Tannehill might be done after this year but there probably isn't a team that appreciates him as much so he probably re-signs cheaper and is replaced by Levis.
I can go on and on, they need a lot of luck to stay as a .500 to 10 win team and not collapse.

Nuk would probably ensure they can stay there. Burks, Phillips, and Chig would then be a fine supporting cast and things fall into place well.

They were a horrible call away from winning the division with the worst OL I've seen in years last year. Four games against rookie QBs. Possible to split with Lawrence til he improves towards his vast potential. Absolutely zero hope of winning a playoff game unless Henry gets 200 yards but, still a sliver of hope they could win the division

It wouldn't be a shocker if he signed there. They have little cap space this year but 97mil next year(BTW same as Arthur did in ATL). His OC is the Titans new OC and along with Vrabel there are a few other former Texans coaches.

He would definitely be the #1 and get a reasonably accurate veteran QB. (Remember he's not looking to play with a rookie QB so..bad news for Levis fans) Tannehill is Tannehill. The guy is what he is. He's not awful or great. We all know his ability.

The Titans former GM would have signed him and pushed the salary off. Their new GM is trying to be more frugal, more responsible, and did not sign anyone expensive. The only big dollar spending was re-signing Big Jeff who is an elite player. Even Tart who was just re-signed only got like 4 mil and some Sundays he's arguably the best NT in the league. There's a different "let's be responsible" tone with this GM Ran Carthon.

I'd predict an incentive laden deal. Not because it's cliche to say but because OBJ got too much and now they have to offer a deal in that ballpark.

The Titans history of signing WRs late in their career is awful- Yancey, Moulds, Moss, Andre, and Julio.

Besides that he'd walk on as the #1, one thing in their favor possibly maybe could be that Julio and Andre were treated well. No one from the team bashed their injuries w age or anything. Vrabel was professional w Julio and...idk maybe this matters to Nuk
I hear ya there, but even when AJB was the #1 WR , in his 3 seasons with the team his career high in targets was 106. I just can't see this as a situation, even if he IS the #1 WR, where he would sign a 1 year deal b/c the odds are he ain't gonna want to go into age 31 season with 70/900/7 type of season. My guess is its either "highest bidder" or the team that can offer him a ton of targets. I feel Tennessee is out for both of these scenarios.

I hear ya there, but even when AJB was the #1 WR , in his 3 seasons with the team his career high in targets was 106. I just can't see this as a situation, even if he IS the #1 WR, where he would sign a 1 year deal b/c the odds are he ain't gonna want to go into age 31 season with 70/900/7 type of season. My guess is its either "highest bidder" or the team that can offer him a ton of targets. I feel Tennessee is out for both of these scenarios.
I thought so too but he's curiously had no visits til now. It wasn't the expected rush to bring in the famous WR so...not sure how we interpret that. Were there phone conversations? I learned a few times that it almost never is "your previous work is enough" and been wrong so... I wonder what the deal is.
Breer's article had me wondering too

FWIW, lots of talk here in NE that the Pats might be considered the favorite to sign him these days, as Hopkins could step in as the lead WR, they have the cap space to pay him what he wants, BB has gushed over him in the past, and it's been reported that Bill O'Brien would be happy to have him back.

I thought so too but he's curiously had no visits til now. It wasn't the expected rush to bring in the famous WR so...not sure how we interpret that. Were there phone conversations? I learned a few times that it almost never is "your previous work is enough" and been wrong so... I wonder what the deal is.
Breer's article had me wondering too
I think he is trying to create a market for himself.

Reactions: Bri
Vrabel said he's visiting next week.
He mentioned guys that wanna be here we look at and see how it goes.
I take that as Vrabel wants to see that Nuk wants to be there and will commit to it which meshes with all the previous discussion of wanting to play for a contender etc

FWIW, lots of talk here in NE that the Pats might be considered the favorite to sign him these days, as Hopkins could step in as the lead WR, they have the cap space to pay him what he wants, BB has gushed over him in the past, and it's been reported that Bill O'Brien would be happy to have him back.
Nailed it!

Nailed it!
He’s a few years late if he wants to win.

I have a hard time believing he'll go to the Patriots because of BOB. As a Texans fan, their personal relationship led to him being shipped to Arizona for peanuts. Feels like it'd have to be a lot of financial offset for all of the rumored bad blood from that bitter divorce to just be forgotten. If the Titans' offer is within striking distance of the Pats', I think he goes there because of O'Brien.

I have a hard time believing he'll go to the Patriots because of BOB. As a Texans fan, their personal relationship led to him being shipped to Arizona for peanuts. Feels like it'd have to be a lot of financial offset for all of the rumored bad blood from that bitter divorce to just be forgotten. If the Titans' offer is within striking distance of the Pats', I think he goes there because of O'Brien.
This is a popular view...and it may be right...but seems odd that he would waste a visit unless the soul purpose is to get a big offer.

Does it mean the Titans could then trade cheaply for him? 😆

Does it mean the Titans could then trade cheaply for him? 😆
Not for Henry!

Reactions: Bri
Are we sure it was their relationship (Bill O) and not the dysfunctional Texans top brass and Hopkins contract demands that wasn’t the culprit?

Are we sure it was their relationship (Bill O) and not the dysfunctional Texans top brass and Hopkins contract demands that wasn’t the culprit?

There may have been a little of that but BOB was the coach and GM at the time so I'm pretty sure he was the main culprit. The two clearly did not like each other. Would be an interesting move if it happens :popcorn:

As Major just pointed out the only real top brass other with any clout was the owner.

Contract was an issue. McNair later said that Hopkins wanted a new deal and that was an issue due to cap space

Hopkins is notorious for not practicing, which carried over to Arizona. I had heard this was the part that got BOB riled up. Hopkins was basically aloof, not into practice, would show up and play well on Sunday but for the money he wanted I think the team wanted more commitment to the team. Just what I've pieced together over the years.

All in all I don't think the Hopkins/BOB relationship was overly good but probably not that terrible either.

I still struggle with seeing him in NE but I'd find it interesting because it would be a culture shock to someone known for not being big on practice. I'm sure they'll discuss all of this on his visit.

As this relates to Hopkins he's just trying to secure a good contract. If the money is close other stuff likely will matter but otherwise I'm sure he's willing to do deal with and paly with whoever if the money is right.

Users who are viewing this thread