What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeAndre Hopkins, TEN (3 Viewers)

Are we sure it was their relationship (Bill O) and not the dysfunctional Texans top brass and Hopkins contract demands that wasn’t the culprit?
As Major just pointed out the only real top brass other with any clout was the owner.

Contract was an issue. McNair later said that Hopkins wanted a new deal and that was an issue due to cap space

Hopkins is notorious for not practicing, which carried over to Arizona. I had heard this was the part that got BOB riled up. Hopkins was basically aloof, not into practice, would show up and play well on Sunday but for the money he wanted I think the team wanted more commitment to the team. Just what I've pieced together over the years.

All in all I don't think the Hopkins/BOB relationship was overly good but probably not that terrible either.

I still struggle with seeing him in NE but I'd find it interesting because it would be a culture shock to someone known for not being big on practice. I'm sure they'll discuss all of this on his visit.

As this relates to Hopkins he's just trying to secure a good contract. If the money is close other stuff likely will matter but otherwise I'm sure he's willing to do deal with and paly with whoever if the money is right.
Belichick would just love a veteran who won’t practice.

Titans visit has gone good enough that there's a pause of uncertainty whether he's going to NE.
No signing announced though.
I figure last night was to spoil him and they talk financials today.
Also, it's been assumed the Titans ask Landry to rework his deal to free up money so that would take time.

Titans visit has gone good enough that there's a pause of uncertainty whether he's going to NE.
Also, it's been assumed the Titans ask Landry to rework his deal to free up money so that would take time.
Who knows what's going on with stuff like this. But BB, who never talks about players not on his roster, just this morning discussed that the Pats have been in contact with Hopkins. Bill being Bill: "We're working through it, so I don't have anything to add to that," he said. "It relates more to logistics and things like that. I'm not really a travel agent."

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports WR DeAndre Hopkins' visit with the Titans went well but no deal was struck.

The veteran alpha wide receiver reportedly met with personnel and staff for hours Monday but leaves without a contract. That was the expectation considering Hopkins previously stated he would be patient with the free agent process, but the fact that both sides seemed to have a positive visit could spark a resurgence of rumors surrounding his eventual landing spot. Hopkins is scheduled to visit with the Patriots at some point this week as he continues his league tour. Even with sparse playing time over the previous two season as Hopkins dealt with injuries and a suspension, his continued ability to earn targets at a high rate beyond his age-30 season hints at continued upside in his profile. Eyes remain peeled on the top remaining free agent wide receiver as teams continue to prepare for preseason camps over the next few weeks.
SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter
Jun 12, 2023, 6:40 PM ET

Who knows what's going on with stuff like this. But BB, who never talks about players not on his roster, just this morning discussed that the Pats have been in contact with Hopkins. Bill being Bill: "We're working through it, so I don't have anything to add to that," he said. "It relates more to logistics and things like that. I'm not really a travel agent."

If the money is close, Nashville, Vrabel, and Tannehill > Boston, BB, and Mac.

I don't want to get into the Boston vs Nashville thing but do you really believe that Tannehill is a draw? Or that players think vrabel is a better coach than Belichick?

I don't want to get into the Boston vs Nashville thing but do you really believe that Tannehill is a draw? Or that players think vrabel is a better coach than Belichick?
I think tanny is better than mac. And Hopkins has a better connection with Vrabel. I do think at this point Vrabel is better than BB. Not to mention playing in the AFC south is better than the AFC east.
But honestly, if I’m an older WR and want to win, I’m probably not going to either team.

Same OC he had in Houston is a big draw. How many times does he want to learn a new offense?
I'm not a fan of Mac at all. (Zappe is better) Tannehill is very ordinary.
He did mention he wants to play w a veteran QB so I'm not sure if Mac qualifies in his mind and Levis will probably be sitting in 2023 then.

Vrabel is possibly better than Belichick now. I wouldn't bet on it nor predict it, but the legendary ball coach is fading some. If I were him, it would be about getting along with those two and the OCs. (Andy Reid is definitely better now and I only say that to illustrate.)

The Pats OC has a divisive relationship with him...or does he? Let bygones be bygones? Does he want his story to end by him playing for the guy that traded him for a sandwich? Have they cleared the air?

Titans tours involve family visits. Checking out houses and schools and such. That often hits a guy spun up in stardom n spoiling so I assume this caused the pause and he's conferring with his wife.

Pats visit is probable or possible now and no longer definite so I'd give the Titans credit for a good visit and that means....little.

Don't forget the King. Everyone does because he's often quiet but he is visited by so many players before and after games and highly regarded.
If Henry runs for 1500+ that guarantees a 500 record and shot at the division.
What's Hopkins work day consist of being WR for a Pats offense versus a D always playing eight in the box? I bet he has less catches in TEN than NE but it's probably easier in TEN.

I know the Pats have a stable now but they don't have a king. You don't know they're running thirty times next week. What's that like for a WR?

I think Nashville suburbs are a far more favorable place to retire to than Boston suburbs.

He has had extensive discussions with JJ and Fitz about businesses, investments, etc. The only thing I know is some clothing line had shows in Boston and Nashville so I guess neither gets an edge.
I'm sure whatever they discussed has a big part in his decision making here. I wish I did know but....he's definitely a man planning the future after football and this is absolutely not solely a football move.

More than anything else, I think money talks -- at least for a player heading into his final (I'm suggesting) contract. If there's no significant difference, then maybe the ancillary stuff comes into play.

NE has the most cap space available in 2024, 2025, and 2026. All they would need to do is sign Hopkins to a two year deal and take a bigger cap charge in 2024. They could outbid any other team (not that they should and not that they will). If they really like him, there’s no reason he won’t be a Patriot.

More than anything else, I think money talks -- at least for a player heading into his final (I'm suggesting) contract. If there's no significant difference, then maybe the ancillary stuff comes into play.
This applies to 99.9% of all players in the league, no need for the disclaimer about him heading into his final contract. Key is if money is close then other things will come into play but it has to be close. It's just not good PR for players to answer the question of what they are looking for by saying $$$$.

I'm surprised people keep falling for the line about prioritizing winning. I know in this thread when he got cut some people were dismissive about him going to certain locations because their outlook looked poor but it's about the money.

In fantasy some of us rank players in tiers. Money is like tier 1 of a FA's wish list, everything else is tier 2 or less.

NE has the most cap space available in 2024, 2025, and 2026. All they would need to do is sign Hopkins to a two year deal and take a bigger cap charge in 2024. They could outbid any other team (not that they should and not that they will). If they really like him, there’s no reason he won’t be a Patriot.
Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't Hopkins hate Bill O'Brien?

Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't Hopkins hate Bill O'Brien?
That is one of the narratives that's been reported. But Hopkins had 3 straight first team All Pro seasons with BOB as his head coach. Things ended on a sour note when he was shipped to ARI, but NE beat guys say that both parties have kissed and made up enough to consider a reunion. The issue will likely be that BB and BOB are task masters and want guys to go all out in practice and have a dedication to detail, precision, and repetition. Hopkins is known to not be a fan of practice or working hard during the week. That's the big disconnect that could prevent things from moving forward. Realistically, as others have said, at this point it's all about the money. The team that offers Hopkins the most money is the one that will sign him. The title contenders don't have the money available to pay him anywhere near what he wants. Rumor has it that Hopkins wants at least what OBJ got (as he thinks he's better and worth more than Odell). Not many teams have a lot of cap room, so Hopkins may not get a deal similar to Beckham.

This applies to 99.9% of all players in the league, no need for the disclaimer about him heading into his final contract. Key is if money is close then other things will come into play but it has to be close. It's just not good PR for players to answer the question of what they are looking for by saying $$$$.

I'm surprised people keep falling for the line about prioritizing winning. I know in this thread when he got cut some people were dismissive about him going to certain locations because their outlook looked poor but it's about the money.

In fantasy some of us rank players in tiers. Money is like tier 1 of a FA's wish list, everything else is tier 2 or less.
Yeah, that’s why most “this team over that team” either implies or states basically equal money. It makes sense to me to take slightly less to play with Mahomes and Reid over garapalo and McDaniels (for one example). But not really if we’re talking millions.

The money isn't just a contract for him.

He sees JJ Watt buying a futbol team with his wife. His wife has something to do with this clothing line.

95? 93? Percent of NFL players get divorced within a few years of retiring. If it's soon enough, the ex can show "this much" is what's needed and the life he promised for the kids' bright future. So they get half of everything, the house, and an unbelievable amount of child support and alimony. It's an extremely grim scenario. Years ago, I developed a site for NFL retirees with a message board and signed an NDA so I can't say much. I know- without a doubt- this is every players retirement fear. Lose the game, lose their family.

Moving to a lesser (than a mansion) but very nice home before retiring and establishing businesses seems to be how they keep their families together. Wife is secure with the home, the school, the $ coming in etc.

A lot of their business deals are one n done. Here's five mil to do this. They lose some high percentage in taxes and then have no income til the next. Living somewhere taxes are favorable is big here too.

I can't say enough that this is not just final contract but very real life stuff

He sees JJ Watt buying a futbol team with his wife. His wife has something to do with this clothing line.

95? 93? Percent of NFL players get divorced within a few years of retiring. If it's soon enough, the ex can show "this much" is what's needed and the life he promised for the kids' bright future. So they get half of everything, the house, and an unbelievable amount of child support and alimony. It's an extremely grim scenario. Years ago, I developed a site for NFL retirees with a message board and signed an NDA so I can't say much. I know- without a doubt- this is every players retirement fear. Lose the game, lose their family.

Moving to a lesser (than a mansion) but very nice home before retiring and establishing businesses seems to be how they keep their families together. Wife is secure with the home, the school, the $ coming in etc.

A lot of their business deals are one n done. Here's five mil to do this. They lose some high percentage in taxes and then have no income til the next. Living somewhere taxes are favorable is big here too.

I can't say enough that this is not just final contract but very real life stuff
Sounds like financial stress is a cause of divorce. I’d also surmise that those who are inclined to make reasonable long term decisions with their money are more likely to have success in relationships including marriage.
Basically the same as most people but at a much higher speed and scale.

Reactions: Bri

Sounds like financial stress is a cause of divorce. I’d also surmise that those who are inclined to make reasonable long term decisions with their money are more likely to have success in relationships including marriage.
Basically the same as most people but at a much higher speed and scale.
Yeah.
The life is to possibly be a noteworthy wife while living in a mansion with a maid n all and then it stops instantly- injury, market, or retirement, it stops.
Suppose 5 mil in the bank.
That can afford a lot in life but only if thought of in that regard.
Guy retires and still in a mansion with 5000 electric bill, paying house employees 200k per year, having dinner flown in, lavish parties etc etc.

Ya also have the fact that they don't live together that much as the player is traveling much of the year or at work at practice etc. Now they're together all the time.

The player's idea of retirement is probably reasonable as the NFL and NFLPA and fellow players hammer this stuff into them and they witness it.

They really need to "force" NFL wives to take a class like the rookie symposium explaining what life will be like and are they in it for the long haul or not?

Prenups help but the home and regular bills while playing are so outrageous that it's common for a judge to rule that things continue as is. It sets the woman up with- want a lesser life with him? Or millions with some other guy?

It ought to be romantic but everyone that's ever been divorced knows the wives are likely to pick one way here. It's just a brutal system with well intentions

Back on track....
Hopkins has been chatting with a lot of Titans and former Titans players thru social media and texts.

The Pats visit still seems probable.

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports there's "no animosity at all" between DeAndre Hopkins and Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien.

Hopkins is slated to meet with the Patriots today and tomorrow as he considers his next landing spot. Hopkins and O'Brien had a falling-out in Houston year ago, leading to speculation that Hopkins would look elsewhere in free agency with O'Brien serving as New England's OC. Hopkins would be a target dominator in the Patriots offense, which is reportedly using elements of the Alabama offense Mac Jones thrived under during the 2019 and 2020 seasons. Hopkins was second among all wideouts in targets from 2014 to 2020 in O'Brien's Texans offense.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter
Jun 14, 2023, 8:45 AM ET

Way things are looking in Buffalo and Diggs he might want to keep his options open a little longer.
Can you expand on this? I know Diggs and Allen had a little tiff during the Playoffs or end of season but is this a real thing? Diggs wants out of Buffalo?
I like Diggs a lot but he was drafted by the Vikings, traded to the Bills, they seem like they might want to part ways. Odd for a guy that is somewhere in the Top 5-10 Wrs in the NFL, young in his prime, perhaps his 3rd team already in his future...something underneath all this.

Diggs has to be difficult to work with, it can't be all the Vikings and Bills front offices, these teams want guys with Diggs' talent but there must be some personality disorder/conflict here. Which btw, a lot of people have it but some folks know how to conceal it better than others.

I hope if Diggs is traded that he finds his way to a team where he can feel free to speak and voice his concerns when need be. Perhaps he needs to be paired with a QB outside the Top 10-15 that he can help groom and bring along in the NFL, sounds like he feels he is smarter than the QB at times.

I have nothing against Diggs, always liked his style and production.

Way things are looking in Buffalo and Diggs he might want to keep his options open a little longer.
Can you expand on this?
I posted that yesterday when it was reported that Diggs no showed mandatory mini-camp and McDermott said he was very concerned.

It was later reported that he had been in the building earlier and would attend all of mini-camp but as far as I know he did not attend yesterday.

Ever since the sideline tiff to end the season he's basically been away from the team with the exception of showing up at the building yesterday which I believe he had to do for a physical. Maybe he was just trolling but he was hinting around months ago on twitter about facing his brother twice a year, which sparked some Giants rumors. I don't know if he showed up today but earlier he was posting his usually cryptic stuff on IG hinting at being lied about and from the sounds off it was directed at McDermott, as well as stuff about maybe not being communicated with, etc,etc

Josh Allen tried to squash it yesterday and said it was non-football related but then later he mentioned things like communicating better with Diggs and hinting at it being in fact off the field football related. Diggs has an issue but no idea what? Is he upset the team might have courted Hopkins and not told him? Does he want a bigger voice in his role? No idea. Seems like saying he might be hard to work with is an understatement. Whereas you say you hope he goes someplace he can freely speak his mind from where I sit I find his lack of loyalty to the Bills as disturbing. All they've done is trade for him, pay him among the best at his position(which he has deserved), make him a household star, win games and seemingly support him at every turn.

I'm sure there is zero doubt the Bills would like to work this out with him and they are not trying to trade him or anything. But at some point your hands are tied. There is some notion that exists his contract makes him unable to be traded but that's not true. It would actually create $1.6M in cap space this year but would roll over $31M into next year(this per OTC). They can manage it if he kept forcing their hand but again not at all what they would be wanting to do right now.

As this relates to Hopkins he would of course be the easiest option available without a trade right now if they wanted insurance on Diggs and an upgraded #2. My guess is if they signed Hopkins it would not help smooth things over with whatever issue Diggs has with them right now.

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports "there's optimism" that the Patriots and DeAndre Hopkins can reach an agreement on a contract.

ESPN's Dianna Russini reported earlier today that there was no bad blood between Hopkins and Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien. O'Brien was at the helm in Houston when the team traded Hopkins to Arizona, but time and a good contract can heal any wound. The tides are clearly shifting toward Hopkins landing in New England, though there is still time for teams like the Browns and Titans to up their offers. Hopkins would immediately become the focal point of the Patriots' passing attack if he signs with them. Though the offense isn't flashy, another season with a target share north of 30 percent would help keep Hopkins in the WR1 conversation.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jun 14, 2023 at 2:10 PM ET

Discussed on radio this morning that the Pats are in a better position to simply ask what the Titans offered and offer more. Suggested that Belichick knows this and wanted to be second.

Titans and Pats play a preseason game. Two days before that, they practice against each other.
More...if Hopkins is signed and a WR cut by the Pats, with the Titans lack of WRs it wouldn't even surprise me if the Titans claim this random dude.

The money part really shouldn't be an issue for NE. They signed Jonnu Smith for 4/$50M and Nelson Agholor for 2/$26M a couple of years of go. They can afford to give DH what he wants.

With JuJu still dealing with that lingering injury and/or problems learning the playbook, the Pats should be pushing hard for Hopkins IMO.

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports the Patriots are continuing to "make a push" for free agent DeAndre Hopkins after his Thursday visit ended without a contract agreement.​

"He has departed Gillette Stadium but is still local," Howe reported Thursday evening. The Pats are employing something of a full-court press ... absent the money Hopkins is looking for. That has remained Hopkins' problem since he hit the open market. No one has been willing to meet his price. It certainly seems like there is momentum for a deal in Boston, but Hopkins leaving town without signing on the dotted line would throw the situation back into uncertainty.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jeff Howe on Twitter
Jun 15, 2023, 6:02 PM ET

ESPN's Mike Reiss reports free agent DeAndre Hopkins remains in "no rush to sign" following his Patriots visit.​

Hopkins left Thursday's Patriots visit without a contract, i.e. they did not offer him what he is looking for in the monetary department. Hopkins does have the benefit of time at this stage of the offseason, but it's because most teams are hard up against the cap. It's difficult to make the money tree shake in June. It seems clear that Hopkins will sign before training camp, but perhaps only just.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN
Jun 15, 2023, 7:42 PM ET

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports free agent DeAndre Hopkins is "trying to get more teams interested" after visits with the Titans and Patriots.​

The All-Pro receiver left both his free-agent visits without signing a deal. Hopkins' asking price has a limited market at this stage of the offseason, putting him in no rush to sign. Hopkins, who has a history of skipping practices, could wait until the preseason to find his next team.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN
Jun 23, 2023, 7:21 PM ET

Honestly, if you’re a coach of a young team do you really want an older WR who skips practice? I’m not against signing him - mostly because the titans have like no receivers right now, but I’m not overly excited about it.

Honestly, if you’re a coach of a young team do you really want an older WR who skips practice? I’m not against signing him - mostly because the titans have like no receivers right now, but I’m not overly excited about it.
I don’t really mind Vets taking it easy in their latter years but as a Pats fan I’m fading him because Mac needs continuity.

I don’t really mind Vets taking it easy in their latter years but as a Pats fan I’m fading him because Mac needs continuity.
continuity > dhop ?!

juju and geiski are new....dhop is familiar with BoB offense.

continuity > dhop ?!

juju and geiski are new....dhop is familiar with BoB offense.
Mac needs reps with his targets. As many as possible.

I think I'd want Nuk to sign reasonably quick and beg for the playbooks and tapes asap so I can see some drive and he can be ready for camp.
I've never been able to relate to any veterans taking it easy unless there's rare reports the coach worked them like a dog the day before.

Idk....the delay bugs me a little. Prior primadonna WR stuff from other WRs?

Masking my desire to know where he lands?

Really wish he'd pick a team already

I think I'd want Nuk to sign reasonably quick and beg for the playbooks and tapes asap so I can see some drive and he can be ready for camp.
I've never been able to relate to any veterans taking it easy unless there's rare reports the coach worked them like a dog the day before.

Hopkins at this point wants as much money he can get from the best team he can find. NE and TEN likely haven't met his asking price, don't have the outlook he wants, and don't exactly have HOF QBs to work with.

At this point, I would guess Hopkins will wait it out and hope a top receiver from a contender goes down with an injury in camp. Spotrac still lists his market value worthy of a 3 year, $70M contract. I don't think it's in his best interest to try to take a one year prove it deal. Very few teams have the cap space to sign him that way unless he would take way less money.

Hopkins at this point wants as much money he can get from the best team he can find. NE and TEN likely haven't met his asking price, don't have the outlook he wants, and don't exactly have HOF QBs to work with.

At this point, I would guess Hopkins will wait it out and hope a top receiver from a contender goes down with an injury in camp. Spotrac still lists his market value worthy of a 3 year, $70M contract. I don't think it's in his best interest to try to take a one year prove it deal. Very few teams have the cap space to sign him that way unless he would take way less money.
Wow, he is not worth that much.
I would project he misses a few games too.

I agree on prove it deal.

Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer reports the Browns are unlikely to pursue free agent WR DeAndre Hopkins.
Deshaun Watson, who played with Hopkins in Houston, has reportedly pushed for the Browns to acquire his former mate. Breer said former Jets WR Elijah Moore “had a really strong spring and he contributed to the comfort level that Cleveland had with its receiver room, which is a reason why the team hasn’t dipped its toe into the DeAndre Hopkins sweepstakes quite yet (and probably won’t, barring some sort of material change).” Moore’s emergence as a top receiving option alongside Amari Cooper is notable for fantasy managers trying to figure out how targets might be distributed in what should be a more pass-first Cleveland offense in 2023.

The Athletic’s Joe Person reports the Panthers have “more pressing needs” than pursuing WR DeAndre Hopkins.
Person notes the team’s needs at cornerback and EDGE as potentially more dire than pursuing free agent wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, but added that the team can be expected to monitor all free agents that could be a potential fit for as long as general manager Scott Fitterer is in charge of personnel. The biggest pushback to that claim is the general lack of big name targets currently on the market at both cornerback and EDGE, which doesn’t negate the truth of the matter but could provide a glimpse of hope for Panthers fans. As things currently stand, Hopkins has two offers on the table from New England and Tennessee but appears set on taking his time with free agency. More offers could be on the horizon in the coming weeks leading up to training camp.

Phil Perry of NBCSports Boston had a TV segment suggesting it is quite possible for NE to end up with both Hopkins and Cook. Apparently, there isn't much interest in either of them for anywhere close to what they want contract wise. At this stage of the game, teams don't appear to have much cap room to bring them on, the team's that do have other needs, and both players will likely have to take offers way below market value. He doesn't see either guy getting the number they were due prior to getting cut ($19.5M and $10M).

I think that is some poor self-scouting by the Panthers if they think needs as EDGE and CB are more important than adding a guy like Hopkins. Then again, they prioritized adding Thielen and Chark, so its possible they just suck at scouting WRs, or they think they already added 2 vets, so they are done there, which is also bad logic.

A guy like Hopkins would be a perfect fit to help develop a young QB like Young, and we saw the difference in Kyler with and without Hopkins.

The Panthers are very much candidates (I'd argue favorites) to win the NFC South, so an addition like Hopkins would make sense short and long term in my opinion.

I think that is some poor self-scouting by the Panthers if they think needs as EDGE and CB are more important than adding a guy like Hopkins. Then again, they prioritized adding Thielen and Chark, so its possible they just suck at scouting WRs, or they think they already added 2 vets, so they are done there, which is also bad logic.

A guy like Hopkins would be a perfect fit to help develop a young QB like Young, and we saw the difference in Kyler with and without Hopkins.

The Panthers are very much candidates (I'd argue favorites) to win the NFC South, so an addition like Hopkins would make sense short and long term in my opinion.
Not to mention the Clemson connection which would sell some tix and merch.

On the other hand, D Hop may have been the one to say nope first.

Which would be an odd decision on Hopkins part. I would think Carolina would be a much better landing spot than NE or Tennessee. More likely to make the playoffs, more likely to have quality QB play, less likely to yell at you for missing practice.

ETA: Much like I think KC would be the best fit for Dalvin Cook, I think the NY Giants would be the best fit for Hopkins. In both cases, it seems neither is particularly interested.

Which would be an odd decision on Hopkins part. I would think Carolina would be a much better landing spot than NE or Tennessee. More likely to make the playoffs, more likely to have quality QB play, less likely to yell at you for missing practice.

ETA: Much like I think KC would be the best fit for Dalvin Cook, I think the NY Giants would be the best fit for Hopkins. In both cases, it seems neither is particularly interested.
The Giants have strangely chosen to field mediocre and often injured WRs post-Beckham. I agree that would be a great spot for him.

Giants would make sense imo.

Gotta disagree that as a rookie Bryce ismore likely to be a quality QB than Tannehill. His ceiling is certainly higher, but the risk is much higher. IMO anyway Tannehill is among the final tier of “quality” QBs. I suppose he can get benched at some point for Levis but that won’t happen if they’re contending for the division, which I think Hop would help.
Panthers are more likely to reach the playoffs. That division is wide open between them, the saints and falcons but I think the saints win the division by a couple games.

Users who are viewing this thread