What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jahan Dotson, WAS (2 Viewers)

Ron Rivera said Jahan Dotson (hamstring) won't play in Week 7 against the Commanders.​

Dotson re-injured his hamstring in practice this week. He had previously missed two games because of the issue. With Rivera already saying the team will play it safe with Dotson's injury, it's possible he misses more than just Week 7. Fantasy managers can cut ties with Dotson on the next run of waivers.
SOURCE: Stacey Dales on Twitter
Oct 23, 2022, 9:29 AM ET

Commanders coach Ron Rivera expects Jahan Dotson (hamstring) to miss Week 8 against the Colts.​

'He's still tight," Rivera said. Dotson has yet to practice since suffering a setback last Thursday. His absence makes the Commanders' target tree quite narrow with Logan Thomas and the backfield the next-best-things after 1-2 Terry McLaurin and Curtis Samuel. Dotson should be considered highly questionable for Week 9 against the Vikings.
SOURCE: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter
Oct 27, 2022, 1:39 PM ET

Jahan Dotson (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.​

Commanders head coach Ron Rivera has already said the team will be cautious with his return. Dotson re-aggravated his hamstring injury ahead of Week 7 and has not practiced since. A DNP to start the week is a strong indicator that he will once again be sidelined because of the hammy issue.
SOURCE: John Keim on Twitter
Nov 2, 2022, 1:28 PM ET

Jahan Doston (hamstring) practiced on Thursday.​

Doston was spotted doing individual drills at Thursday's practice, as he and the Commanders prepare for a Monday night tilt with the Eagles. The rookie receiver was close to returning in Week 7 before re-aggravating his hamstring injury in practice but could be in line for a return in Week 10. Dotson was off to a nice start before being sidelined, catching 12 passes for 152 yards and four touchdowns in his first four games. Playing in a mediocre offense being helmed by Taylor Heinicke, Dotson would have some FLEX appeal in deeper leagues.
Nov 10, 2022, 12:07 PM ET

He’s been in my redraft IR spot so long I forgot about him, now I need to figure out if he’s worth keeping

Jahan Dotson (hamstring) practiced in full on Friday.​

Commanders OC Scott Turner said he doesn't "know for certain" that Dotson will be back on Monday night, but that he's on track to get there. Dotson got a limited practice on Thursday before going full today. Dotson would have some FLEX appeal in season-long leagues if active and will be a big part of showdown slate strategies.
Nov 11, 2022, 1:50 PM ET

Washington coach Ron Rivera said WR Jahan Dotson (hamstring) will play in Week 10 against the Eagles.​

"We feel comfortable moving forward; don't expect any setback," Rivera said. Dotson, who has missed the last five games and didn't practice fully this week, was left off the injury report all together. Washington is already declaring him active for Monday night. Dotson's return is a boost for Taylor Heinicke and the Commanders' pass game, but he'll have snap count risks in his first game back.
SOURCE: ESPN
Nov 12, 2022, 12:51 PM ET

Problem w the WAS offense is they can't move the ball well enough and convert enough 3rd downs. Which means less touches to their best players. Scott Turner's offensive scheme sucks. It is predicated on an almost perfect OL. There is no such thing. The only guy that has played decent at QB during his tenure is a short athlete with a mediocre arm that scrambles and throws the ball up for grabs. A new OC would make a world of difference for all WAS skill players.

Is it time to start accepting that Dotson may be the #3 WR in Washington with Curtis Samuel being the #2? I think a lot of us assumed after the draft that Dotson would be the #2 but it seems a healthy Samuels this year and his usage (both as a runner and receiver) is keeping him on the field and pushing Dotson to the 3rd option no? What do you guys think?

Is it time to start accepting that Dotson may be the #3 WR in Washington with Curtis Samuel being the #2? I think a lot of us assumed after the draft that Dotson would be the #2 but it seems a healthy Samuels this year and his usage (both as a runner and receiver) is keeping him on the field and pushing Dotson to the 3rd option no? What do you guys think?
I had high hopes but just dropped him for DPJ.

Dotson hasn't played in weeks so it's kind of hard to tell.

He's been hurt. Next few weeks should tell the tale. Dotson was a monster in college. He has the skill to be a beast at this level.

He's been hurt. Next few weeks should tell the tale. Dotson was a monster in college. He has the skill to be a beast at this level.

season low 32 snaps 17 routes run. start of the year the groupings were different:
  1. 61 snaps 41 routes
  2. 71-51
  3. 64-48
  4. 42-21
Samuel dominates the slot snaps, 414 is almost twice as many as McLaurin - only 72 snaps on the boundary. There is a path for Dotson to stay on the field when they're not in 11 personnel. We'll see if they leave Sims/Brown/Milne on the bench more going forward, maybe Jahan was on a pitch count first game back.

Due to the injuries/lost time and the fact he is a rookie it may stay that way but with his big-play ability he can still be productive...Dynasty-wise he has a chance to be a good one if Washington can get steady QB play...I see him taking a big leap next year.

Jahan Dotson caught 5-of-9 targets for 54 yards and one touchdown in the Commanders' Week 13 game against the Giants.​

After a quiet few weeks, Dotson finished the day with the second-most targets of any Washington receiver. Dotson's biggest play came late in the fourth quarter when he turned a short reception into a 28-yard touchdown that tied the game at 20-20 with under two minutes to go. This was a game tailor-made for Dotson. Washington trailed by a touchdown for most of the second half and had to move off its run-heavy approach to try and find a way to win late. Despite his solid performance, we'll need to see a bit more consistency out of Dotson before we can discuss him as a fantasy-viable option. He's off the fantasy radar in Week 14 with the Commanders heading into their bye week.
Dec 4, 2022, 5:59 PM ET

Jahan Dotson caught 4-of-6 targets for 105 yards and one touchdown in the Commanders' Week 15 loss to the Giants.​

Dotson caught a 61-yard bomb over his defender late in the fourth quarter with the Commanders down by five, a drive that would ultimately end in a Taylor Heinicke fumble in the red zone. He also scored the lone touchdown of the game for the Commanders early in the second half to bring the team within striking distance, which would leave them down by five after a failed two-point attempt. The big game marks the second consecutive solid outing for the dynamic rookie, whose dynasty stock continues to tick up as the season comes to an end.
Dec 19, 2022, 12:36 AM ET

Just dropped him this week. Of course
against the giants secondary? oof
He was my 6th WR.

Godwin, DK, Cooper, Olave, Pittman
Got him back. Might need him this weekend with the crazy wind in some games.
you probably missed his two games this year. like your other guys better.
Probably but 60mph wind gusts in Cleveland plus Cooper and Olave are dinged up. So I might.

Maybe I missed the particulars of that one, but the Harmon rankings I saw had Dotson actually lower in his rankings in comparison with other pundits.

Matt Harmon did his 2nd year WR grades this week and let’s just say people have Dotson ranked way too low. Buy him now.

Not if he's got a 2nd year QB that has 1 meaningless game to his credit. Or even if it's Brissett. Not to mention injured hammys seem to haunt WRs for life.

Matt Harmon did his 2nd year WR grades this week and let’s just say people have Dotson ranked way too low. Buy him now.
I've been buying him all offseason. Dynasty, redraft, BB, whatever. The hatred for the QB situation and the presence of McLaurin is keeping him low. That said, he isn't going *that* low. And I haven't been seeing anybody selling low. Even the least of believers is probably a solid HODL right now.

I got him in 2/3 FFPC startups this offseason and acquired him via trade with a team that was competing inseason. I got a 1st that became 1.09 and Dotson for A Jones.

I do think Washington has one of the best WR duos in the league. You'd have to watch every Washington game to understand just had bad the QB play has been since Terry stepped on the field. If they get average to good QB play this year Washington might have 2 top 15 WRs. :grad:
I'd extend that to best WR trios. Curtis Samuel is WAY better than most teams #3. So much so, that I think he's a big reason why I'd have a very hard time seeing 2 top-15 WRs in Washington, because there will be weeks Samuel is the top guy production wise.

As for Dotson, I do like him as a round 7 pick. I'd certainly rather take him then the guys like Gabe Davis, Elijah Moore, or Brandin Cooks, who all have similar target competition, and put more bad play on tape than Dotson did.

Well it was a long time ago, but Washington once had 3 very productive thousand-yard each receivers in Monk, Clark, and Sanders. For sure this is the best trio we've had in DC since those glory days.
The hardest thing about playing FF back then was how long it would take to chisel the stats into the granite. Still fun though.

The only way to get stats up for all the skill players on this team is to get more first downs. The Turner version of this offense was not productive through the air. Despite running the 3rd most plays in the NFL last year, they were 19th ranked in first downs. That's totally inefficient. 100% expect this to change with Bienemy at the helm. Win or lose he won't call a timid game plan.

Last edited:
The only way to get stats up for all the skill players on this team is to get more first downs. The Turner version of this offense was not productive through the air. Despite running the 3rd most plays in the NFL last year, they were 19th ranked in first downs. That's totally inefficient. 100% expect this to change with Bienemy at the helm. Win or lose he won't call a timid game plan.
It's all going to come down to how well Howell plays. Reports have been promising at least.

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters
"Howell and Dotson have developed strong chemistry together. The two connected several times at the start of practice with one of the more impressive reps being a throw-and-catch where Dotson found soft spot in the defense's zone between three defenders."
Dotson can absolutely play. He's a baller. Just needs to the offense to be functional.

Love the talent and would love him more for fantasy if his path to Commanders WR1 wasn’t blocked for the next three years by another young stud in McLaurin. But he is fun to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread