What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Julio Jones, PHI (2 Viewers)

If they're wrong about Justin Fields then heads will probably roll. If they're right about him then they added an all pro talent for the twilight years of Matt Ryan and whoever replaces him in the next couple-few years.
Right, but now they've traded away an All-Pro talent during the twilight years of Matt Ryan.  It makes no sense other than they're saving money and accumulating picks.  In which case they should be shopping Ryan too, and likely should have drafted Fields.  But, I agree that they must not have liked JF to pass him up. 

If they're wrong about Justin Fields then heads will probably roll. If they're right about him then they added an all pro talent for the twilight years of Matt Ryan and whoever replaces him in the next couple-few years.
No they won't. It's a whole new crew in Atlanta. They have many mistakes to make ahead of them before they're fired.

Because, like it or not, Jones is a declining asset. Ryan still has several usable years remaining.

Trading Jones isn't "blowing it up".
All the more reason to trade him.  You think Washington wouldn't give up a 1st+ for Matt Ryan's last 3-4 seasons?  If Atlanta is going to trade Julio you might as well deal Ryan too.

Right, but now they've traded away an All-Pro talent during the twilight years of Matt Ryan.  It makes no sense other than they're saving money and accumulating picks.  In which case they should be shopping Ryan too, and likely should have drafted Fields.  But, I agree that they must not have liked JF to pass him up. 
The Julio trade isn't on the new group; that's on the old one. They gave these guys a horrible cap situation to manage, which I think is likely the primary reason for the trade. In a better financial situation they could have stared him down and dared him not to report to camp, but that isn't their reality so they needed to act now.

The Ryan v Fields situation is different because they decided extending a very expensive Ryan was optimal to drafting a very cheap Fields. The rookie route opens more opportunities to build a roster around him while Ryan restricts their potential spending. They don't have to be right about Julio or Pitts, but they have to be right about Ryan or Fields.

All the more reason to trade him.  You think Washington wouldn't give up a 1st+ for Matt Ryan's last 3-4 seasons?  If Atlanta is going to trade Julio you might as well deal Ryan too.
And start...AJ McCarron?

This isn't a Texans-like talentless team we're taking about here.

And start...AJ McCarron?

This isn't a Texans-like talentless team we're taking about here.
They aren't the Texans, but they're pretty bad. Nothing of consequence behind Ridley and Pitts at skill positions on offense. Their OL is probably fine, but there is an Alex Mack sized hole to fill. And the defense is horrendous - they're asking A LOT of Dean Pees given the personnel he has to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Falcons would have taken on $65 million in dead salary cap money if they traded Ryan before June 1 (basically ADDING $38 million to their 2021 cap total). Obviously that was not an option and they could not have done that and kept under the salary cap.

If they traded him after June 1, they would have been able to save $2 million against the cap this year (but would still have had to eaten the same $65 million cap hit, just over 2021 and 2022 instead. They probably COULD have done that, but realistically, that also wasn't really an option.

Essentially, they would have been paying Ryan to play two years in another uniform and not getting any salary cap relief. So moving on from Ryan by trading him was never really in the cards. Some people suggested they should have drafted a QB and kept Ryan, but IMO, that would also be a less than ideal maneuver, as no matter what one of the team's best assets would be on the sideline for every offensive play.

If Atlanta really wanted to keep Jones, they could have converted some of Ryan's salary into a bonus (they could have done that with Julio too) . . . but that would kick the bad salary cap situation into future years and management said they were done doing that as the salary cap crisis would never go away operating like that.

Been discussed many times before, they can’t trade Ryan yet due to massive cap issues.

Edit: What Anarchy said.

The Falcons would have taken on $65 million in dead salary cap money if they traded Ryan before June 1 (basically ADDING $38 million to their 2021 cap total). Obviously that was not an option and they could not have done that and kept under the salary cap.

If they traded him after June 1, they would have been able to save $2 million against the cap this year (but would still have had to eaten the same $65 million cap hit, just over 2021 and 2022 instead. They probably COULD have done that, but realistically, that also wasn't really an option.

Essentially, they would have been paying Ryan to play two years in another uniform and not getting any salary cap relief. So moving on from Ryan by trading him was never really in the cards. Some people suggested they should have drafted a QB and kept Ryan, but IMO, that would also be a less than ideal maneuver, as no matter what one of the team's best assets would be on the sideline for every offensive play.

If Atlanta really wanted to keep Jones, they could have converted some of Ryan's salary into a bonus (they could have done that with Julio too) . . . but that would kick the bad salary cap situation into future years and management said they were done doing that as the salary cap crisis would never go away operating like that.
Atlanta re-did Ryan's contract, converting $21m of his $23m salary into a bonus. This move saved $14m in cap space this year, but kicked that funding evenly into 2022 and 2023. It'd have been painful to deal with the Ryan contract (cut or trade) before that, but embracing a rebuild they could have proceeded accordingly. One scenario would have been trade Julio post June 1 (save $15+m), cut/trade Ryan ($51m dead instead of current cap # of $27m), not RFA Gono ($3+m), not sign M Davis ($2+m), then use the G Jarrett contract to fill the remaining gap. If my math is right about $3-4m, so reduce his base from $13.5m to $6.5m and apply about $3.5m against 2022.

QB aside, I don't think that team described above is much different than this one. It has about $35m less in financial commitments in 2022 though.

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports Julio Jones will attend the Titans' minicamp.

Russini also notes that Jones is "100% healthy," which GM Jon Robinson suggested during his post-trade conference. Jones will reportedly be at Tennessee's facilities this week and report to the team's three-day minicamp, a stage of the offseason the 32-year-old has avoided in past years. His health ahead of the regular season should still be the organization's top priority.

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Jun 10, 2021, 9:54 AM ET

2 and 3 TE base set

I'd just keep Julio and try to beat everyone 42-41.
What are you not understanding? The Falcons did not even have enough money to sign the people they drafted. And as was said before, Ryan still has a number of years left so they drafted Pitts who many say is a generational talent instead of drafting a QB. And even if they drafted Fields instead of Pitts, then traded Ryan as you suggest, then would STILL have to trade Julio and his large contract because the Falcons did not even have enough money to sign the people they drafted. And then you'd have ended up with a rookie QB, no Julio, and no Pitts.

What are you not understanding? The Falcons did not even have enough money to sign the people they drafted. And as was said before, Ryan still has a number of years left so they drafted Pitts who many say is a generational talent instead of drafting a QB. And even if they drafted Fields instead of Pitts, then traded Ryan as you suggest, then would STILL have to trade Julio and his large contract because the Falcons did not even have enough money to sign the people they drafted. And then you'd have ended up with a rookie QB, no Julio, and no Pitts.
I’m not understand why if you’re going to commit to losing why not just go all in? Who cares if they owe Matt Ryan all this dead money? Trade him and do your best dance for the #1 overall pick. Just like the Jags did. 

I’ve watched the Bucs play cap games all offseason. They could have easily kept Julio. I get that he requested a trade apparently and they wanted to do right by him. Just think if you’re going to start trading depreciating assets trade them all. 

I’m not understand why if you’re going to commit to losing why not just go all in? Who cares if they owe Matt Ryan all this dead money? Trade him and do your best dance for the #1 overall pick. Just like the Jags did. 
Do you understand the structure of a salary cap? I already explained they would have to eat like $65M to trade him. And teams CANNOT go over the salary cap. So in order to trade him before the draft, they have had to cut over $38M worth of salary to cover the cap hit for Ryan.

Tanking for a better draft pick doesn’t guarantee that player will be a HOF player. Players like Lawrence come along every decade or two. 

And a GM that pulled a maneuver like that would lose his job. On top of that, owners would lose fans and lose money. In the real world, not everyone wants to blow tens of millions of dollars. 

Do you understand the structure of a salary cap? I already explained they would have to eat like $65M to trade him. And teams CANNOT go over the salary cap. So in order to trade him before the draft, they have had to cut over $38M worth of salary to cover the cap hit for Ryan.

Tanking for a better draft pick doesn’t guarantee that player will be a HOF player. Players like Lawrence come along every decade or two. 

And a GM that pulled a maneuver like that would lose his job. On top of that, owners would lose fans and lose money. In the real world, not everyone wants to blow tens of millions of dollars. 
So keep him and go 7-10. What’s the point? Yes, I understand the salary cap. No reason to be condescending. 

Jones goes from being a WR1 on a passing team to a WR2 on a running team while Ridley becomes the unquestioned WR1 now. Ridley becomes Top 5. Jones will likely be just north or south of WR20. (IMO, Jones will put up numbers similar to what Davis did last year in TEN). Jones played his whole career with Ryan . . . it might take some time to click with Tannehill.
I'd take that bet if I was a betting man.

I'd take that bet if I was a betting man.
Flesh this out for me as I am not sure what you are trying to say.

Davis’s numbers from last year projected over a 17 game season would be 1200/6. That includes numbers from two games where he literally did nothing. In the 12 games he played and fully participated, Davis averaged 82 yards receiving per game. Jones averaged 85 yards per game. 

What sort of numbers are you expecting from Jones as a Titan?

Flesh this out for me as I am not sure what you are trying to say.

Davis’s numbers from last year projected over a 17 game season would be 1200/6. That includes numbers from two games where he literally did nothing. In the 12 games he played and fully participated, Davis averaged 82 yards receiving per game. Jones averaged 85 yards per game. 

What sort of numbers are you expecting from Jones as a Titan?
That's a lot of if/then/else in play there.

It's simple. I expect Jones to exceed Davis across the board.

Like I've said before - you don't trade for Jones just to replicate Davis' numbers.

Like I've said before - you don't trade for Jones just to replicate Davis' numbers.
You didn’t answer what I asked. At Davis’ rate of production for 17 games would yield 1200/6. What are you suggesting Jones gets this year? 

Jones could easily be the third option on offense behind Henry and Brown. 

You didn’t answer what I asked. At Davis’ rate of production for 17 games would yield 1200/6. What are you suggesting Jones gets this year? 

More. :shrug:

I don't know why you need specific numbers.

He could also easily outproduce Brown. He only caught two fewer passes than Brown last year and he was hurt most of it.

Henry caught 19 passes last year. Jones won't be the third option in the passing game.

More. :shrug:

I don't know why you need specific numbers.

He could also easily outproduce Brown. He only caught two fewer passes than Brown last year and he was hurt most of it.

Henry caught 19 passes last year. Jones won't be the third option in the passing game.
I didn’t mean the third option in the passing game. I meant the third most productive player on the offense. 

Henry got the ball 400 times last year. Gurley got the ball slightly more than half that. So yeah, when the ball DOESN’T get thrown to Jones 400 times, that will limit his production. Henry had 2100+ YFS. Brown had roughly 1100 and Davis roughly 1000. No one else hit 500. 

IMO, there is only one football and only so many yards of offense to go around. We’ll just have to wait and see how things play out. ATL threw about 10 more passes a game than TEN did. Maybe they become more of a passing team now. 

This really doesn't require a lot of imagination to see what the Titans want to do - which is run less and throw more. Like modern NFL offenses do.

Henry just CAN'T touch the ball 400 times again. It's not sustainable. He did it out of necessity because Davis was a mediocre WR option and limited their passing game. 

Had Tannehill just averaged three more passes per game, (take 50 touches from Henry so he's at a still large but more reasonable 350) and he's in the top 12 in attempts rather than down at 19.

If they wanted Corey Davis production, they could have signed him for about $2.7m less and kept a 2nd rounder. 

I just don't know how one can see Julio swapped in for Davis and think the offense will look the same. 

Jones won’t play 17.

It's more like when the off-season doesn't go as planned, you give up a second round pick to cover your errors.

You guys are bad mouthing him like he broke up with you via text message. :loco:
How is anyone badmouthing him? He's a 32 year old receiver coming off of an injury-shortened season going to what has predominantly been a run-first team.

I have been providing my best guess on how he will perform on a new team with a different QB as an aging veteran. That doesn't mean I don't like him, doesn't mean I have anything against him, and doesn't mean I am hoping he bombs.

Not many 32 year old receivers get traded or move to new teams, so there really aren't many other players to compare him to. I don't think people are "hating" on Jones to suggest he may not put up the same numbers as he did in Atlanta.

Comparing the last two years of Tannehill in TEN to the last 5 years of Ryan in ATL, Ryan threw for 25% more yards per game. Similarly, over the past two seasons, ATL had 40% more passing attempts than the Titans did and TEN had 25% more rushing attempts than the Falcons did. IMO, those ratios would not help any WR's cause any.

Based off of that, I conclude that the likeliest outcome is Jones' numbers will go down. Anyone can come to a different conclusion and that doesn't make their opinions right or wrong . . . it just makes them different.

EDIT TO ADD: The other factor which I forgot to mention is that the Falcons defense has been horrible, making for a lot of shootouts and garbage time passing attempts. TEN has fared a lot better and have been in many games where they just needed to ground and pound to run out the clock . . . not keep passing to stay in games. That also impacts WR production.

EDIT TO ADD: The other factor which I forgot to mention is that the Falcons defense has been horrible, making for a lot of shootouts and garbage time passing attempts. TEN has fared a lot better and have been in many games where they just needed to ground and pound to run out the clock . . . not keep passing to stay in games. That also impacts WR production.
Atlanta gave up TWO more yards than the Titans last season.

The Titans gave up 1933 yards rushing to the Falcons 1667.

The Titans gave up 4439 yards passing to the Falcons 4697.

On a per game basis, the Titans gave up 398.3 yards/game. The Falcons gave up 398.4 yards/game.

Titans gave up 25 MORE points than the Falcons. 

The Titans defense was bad last year too. Maybe they'll be better this year. 

Atlanta gave up TWO more yards than the Titans last season.

The Titans gave up 1933 yards rushing to the Falcons 1667.

The Titans gave up 4439 yards passing to the Falcons 4697.

On a per game basis, the Titans gave up 398.3 yards/game. The Falcons gave up 398.4 yards/game.

The Titans defense was bad last year too. Maybe they'll be better this year. 
Yeah, I was more remembering the Titans defense from 2019 when they were a lot better. I am sure the COVID situation didn't help any.

But I went and looked back at the box scores from last year and both teams were in multiple close games. However, there were several games where that was not the case. 10% of the Titans points allowed came in the 4th quarter when they were cruising. Similarly, the Falcons scored 10% of their points in games that were 4th quarter points scored in blowouts (games with team down by 3+ scores). TBH, I don't know if that is a lot, average, or how that compares to other teams. In this case, it's probably not as big a deal as I thought it might be.

Jones's is in a perfect position to trade future picks for to make your Dyno playoff run. He will likely will be the cheapest top 20 wide receiver out there.

While his on field production should be nice, it's only part of the reason Julio will make the Titans better than last year. I actually don't expect him to produce much more per game then Davis, but his leadership and professionalism will pay off big time. 

This pretty much nails it. 

If they wanted Corey Davis production, they could have signed him for about $2.7m less and kept a 2nd rounder. 
:shrug:  you're looking at this too narrowly. 

Yeah, I was more remembering the Titans defense from 2019 when they were a lot better.
2018 they were a good defense. Last two years they have not been as good Vrabel's first. But yeah, last year was a big step back.

That's reflected in their pace. They were 29th and 30th in Vrabel's first two season, 17th last year (+91 more plays run.) But they were still 30th in PA (an improvement over 31st the last two years.) Mike Clay has them at 526 PA this year, up from 485 but still trailing only BAL. His target distribution is 137 for AJ Brown and 117 for Julio, which would be his lowest since his rookie year (discounting the two years he played 5 and 9 games due to injury.) It would also represent a huge step up in targets for Brown, who has had 106 and 84 targets his first two years.

Now we do have new coordinators on both sides of the ball, so maybe Vrabel lets them open thing up a bit. It would make sense to both utilize Jones (bc he can still ball when healthy) and lighten the unsustainable load they've put on Henry the last two years. The question is how much.

Fantasy Pros has TEN at 544 PA this year - that's a 12.16% jump. Clay is at +8.45%. That still puts them ahead of only BAL and NE, and 6 less than CLE.

FBGs had TEN at 520 PA. FFToday 544.

I can appreciate the argument that Julio is not going to beast in the same way he has for most of the last ten seasons. OTOH, just in terms of low volume PA offenses and WR duos, maybe TEN evolves the way that DAL and SEA did once they paired two very good WRs. Dak and Russ used to have low totals for PA but both became more pass centric as they matured and the franchise put more talent around them. That's within the range of outcomes and Julio (the when healthy version from 2020) is def an upgrade from Corey Davis.

But that's a radical departure from what we seen from the Titans the last three years under Vrabel. I think it will be more incremental than some seem to imagine. It's also a bit of a stretch for me to think the hyper efficient Tannehill we've seen in his last 26 starts is ready to succeed as a high volume QB at age 34, bc he was pretty awful in that role for years with the Fins. That's a different proposition than Dak/Russ morphing in their mid-20s.

A little more projections data:

CBS (not in previous post) has 526 PA, with this breakdown:

WR A.J. Brown TAR: 138, REC: 87, YD: 1349, TD: 12

WR Julio Jones TAR: 132, REC: 85, YD: 1232, TD: 9

Adding the WR projections from Clay, FBGs, FFT, & FP:

AJB

138 88-1285-9 WR7   
N/A 85.5-1330-12.3 WR7   
N/A 80-1156-9 WR9   
N/A 84.3-1266.5-9.8 WR7

JJ

117 78-1094-7 WR20 
N/A 73.1-1064-6.4 WR26
N/A 69-981-6 WR30  
N/A 79.8-1123.1-7.3 WR18

BobbyLayne said:
A little more projections data:

CBS (not in previous post) has 526 PA, with this breakdown:

WR A.J. Brown TAR: 138, REC: 87, YD: 1349, TD: 12

WR Julio Jones TAR: 132, REC: 85, YD: 1232, TD: 9

Adding the WR projections from Clay, FBGs, FFT, & FP:

AJB

138 88-1285-9 WR7   
N/A 85.5-1330-12.3 WR7   
N/A 80-1156-9 WR9   
N/A 84.3-1266.5-9.8 WR7

JJ

117 78-1094-7 WR20 
N/A 73.1-1064-6.4 WR26
N/A 69-981-6 WR30  
N/A 79.8-1123.1-7.3 WR18
All this falls pretty much in line with what I was projecting for Jones . . . that his output this year would be similar to what Corey Davis per game production from last year. Davis projected over 17 games was on a 1200/6 pace in 2020. I also suggested Jones would be around WR20 plus or minus a couple spots (there are always several receivers packed pretty close at that bandwidth). That also fits the narrative that Jones in TEN would be less productive than he was in ATL given that the Titans have a propensity to run a lot more than the Falcons do and the Falcons typically have had 10 more passing attempts per game compared to TEN. So in my mind, TEN swapped out Davis for Jones and IMO there won't be much of a difference in the Titans offensive production or impact on their record (there were some prognosticators that suggested the Titans are AFC contenders with Jones).

All this falls pretty much in line with what I was projecting for Jones . . . that his output this year would be similar to what Corey Davis per game production from last year. Davis projected over 17 games was on a 1200/6 pace in 2020. I also suggested Jones would be around WR20 plus or minus a couple spots (there are always several receivers packed pretty close at that bandwidth). That also fits the narrative that Jones in TEN would be less productive than he was in ATL given that the Titans have a propensity to run a lot more than the Falcons do and the Falcons typically have had 10 more passing attempts per game compared to TEN. So in my mind, TEN swapped out Davis for Jones and IMO there won't be much of a difference in the Titans offensive production or impact on their record (there were some prognosticators that suggested the Titans are AFC contenders with Jones).
Stats, I agree. 

But I think the Titans win more with Julio. 

Prediction, 12-4. Division champs. 

Stats, I agree. 

But I think the Titans win more with Julio. 

Prediction, 12-4. Division champs. 
I guess they won't need to play that 17th game. IMO, Jones and Davis AT THIS STAGE are similar but they don't have much WR depth and also lost Smith at TE. Not sure that makes the offense collectively better . . . in fact the numbers may not be better (especially if Jones misses time). The defense has been the issue. I haven't really followed their offseason moves defensively, so I can't speak to how the defense looks.

I guess they won't need to play that 17th game. IMO, Jones and Davis AT THIS STAGE are similar but they don't have much WR depth and also lost Smith at TE. Not sure that makes the offense collectively better . . . in fact the numbers may not be better (especially if Jones misses time). The defense has been the issue. I haven't really followed their offseason moves defensively, so I can't speak to how the defense looks.
I'm skeptical of the defense - PFF has them ranked 23rd in the league FWIW.  We'll see if they hit a home run (or even a double) with Farley and Molden - that would help.  I think the big story with the offense is what they look like under Downing in his first year as an OC.  I firmly believe that Smith was an excellent OC and a great play caller who put his players in positions to succeed and knew how to get the most out of them.

Totally forgot about 17 games. 13-4 then. 

I'm skeptical of the defense - PFF has them ranked 23rd in the league FWIW.  We'll see if they hit a home run (or even a double) with Farley and Molden - that would help.  I think the big story with the offense is what they look like under Downing in his first year as an OC.  I firmly believe that Smith was an excellent OC and a great play caller who put his players in positions to succeed and knew how to get the most out of them.
I think it will be more important if Autry (moving from DT to DE)  and Bud Dupree (coming off an ACL injury) can actually put pressure on the QB.  They have made quite a few additions to the defense but it will be interesting to see if they can mesh

Based on point differential, TEN should have been expected to have been 9-7 last year. Lots of close games. Those tend to even put. I would guess they go 10-7 this year. 
Seems reasonable. I wouldn't put some weird 2-5 start past them either. A young secondary, Dupree out some, camp Vrabel is too easy on players, figuring out who and how to replace Jonnu in run game etc 

The pieces are there but they need to gel and stay healthy. 

Users who are viewing this thread