What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Crabtree, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

7-102-1

40-483-3 through seven games, would prorate to 91-1,104-7 (career high in receptions, and within 1 yard of his career high set in 2012 - 1,105 yards).

You weren't basing your projections off of anything solid. Just optimism. Homer optimism is like a broken clock.
In fairness, I am not a Raiders fan, I am a Browns fan.

Nor was I an owner of Crabtree until early this past offseason when I traded to acquire him in Dynasty. I wasnt homerism, it was me watching a player, and thinking he is much better than he was showing, in a PISS POOR offense..

I said it multiple times... acquire him because he could be had for peanuts, and he had mentally checked out of SF... and apparently, that was right

Which, well... the Niners definitely are

see: Torrey Smith et al.

eta: As for Tre Mason... How would anyone in the world have known/guess theyd draft Gurley? No one did, not even their most die hard of fans.
By homer, I just meant that you owned him, not that you were a fan of the actual team he played on.

I agree that the niners are terrible, but in the offseason there was no data pointing to the Oakland offense being much better. That changed during the preseason. As it stands now, you got yourself a nice buy low. It'll be interesting to see where Crabtree goes next year as a free agent. He sure seems like he has a legitimate chance to be a WR2 in all formats this year.
"no data"

Love that.

renesauz said:
under-rated
Yeah I whiffed on this one. Crabtree was dropped (12 tm PPR redraft) but since I had added LaFell & Diggs in Weeks 5/6 to a solid corps I ignored FBGs advice to snag him. Let the first place team pick him up for free.Props to the staff, they had him ranked higher in the Top 200 Forward than most sites ROS rankings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld has finally called him a WR2 for next week after weeks of calling him a WR3. This guy has gotten little respect from the FF community as a whole but will win lots of folks titles.

Rotoworld has finally called him a WR2 for next week after weeks of calling him a WR3. This guy has gotten little respect from the FF community as a whole but will win lots of folks titles.
Been quietly starting him and very pleased on several teams this year.

Has always been a bit under-rated...just used to be saddled with terrible QB play

Just traded for him in yeasty and pretty thrilled about it. He looks great out there and Carr trusts him.

Been quietly starting him and very pleased on several teams this year.

Has always been a bit under-rated...just used to be saddled with terrible QB play
Yep kind of a shame his career up to now was wasted - but better late than never.

I yanked him last second for Dez but I'm excited that i wont have to fight for him this week in FAAB. OAK is the FF juggernaut team this year.

I've had him for the last few years in dynasty and was very glad to see him get out of the wasteland that is the SF passing game. Playing great this year and easily on pace to have his best year ever.

Of course, I traded him this past weekend for a future draft pick, but only because I also have a lot of really good WRs on that team and Crabtree was likely never going to start for me before his contract ran out.

Good to see Crabtree having success. Underappreciated player. He was total beast that year that Kaepernick was playing well.

Raiders should lock him up long term, but he might be looking for a lot of money in the offseason. Carolina would be a great place for him, too. Given Benjamin's questionable hands (people ignored all his drops last year), I could see him being the WR1 there. He's arguably the WR1 in Oakland:

80-47/591/5

vs.

72-45/653/4

Other teams in need of a WR1:

Baltimore

New Orleans

Seattle

He's really in the perfect spot. Young emerging QB that really trusts him and the young stud rookie that gets alot of attention. Combine that with good health and it's the perfect storm.

Man I chickened out starting him over Diggs and now I have a huge deficit to overcome tonight with MNF. Now I have to wonder if I can start him over AJ green or Fitzgerald this week. At least he has less competition for targets.

How is it that James Jones is garbage in Oakland but is born again in GB (and we say "well, it IS Oakland), yet Crabtree was garbage in SF but is born again in Oakland?

I've had him for the last few years in dynasty and was very glad to see him get out of the wasteland that is the SF passing game. Playing great this year and easily on pace to have his best year ever.

Of course, I traded him this past weekend for a future draft pick, but only because I also have a lot of really good WRs on that team and Crabtree was likely never going to start for me before his contract ran out.
Me too, tried trading him and Kaep for late round picks before the season but only was able to trade Kaep.

I had Crabtree pegged in pre-season but didn't draft him. Was able to get him early on in the season (Carr too, lost Romo) and have been happy with his returns. However, against Denver this week, I am not sure I feel good about starting either him or Carr. Any others have some insight into that?

Good for Crabtree and good for Oakland to keep the offensive nucleus together. I admit I never liked the signing and Crabtree seemed to act like a jackass during the 2009 draft, but all accounts are that he's been a model teammate and not making any waves with the press. He's been anything but a diva, and his production has been solid, much better than expected. He easily out-produced his one year scrap heap salary, and got rewarded for it. This signing is a strong bolt of confidence to D Carr owners.

Crabtree is an interesting player. I did not realize that he was doing so well this year until I looked at his stats. Seems to fly under the radar, not sure if I trust his output going forward. Anyone trust him for this year and beyond?

Yes, I do. Carr has a lot of trust in him: Crabs is the go-to third down, red zone receiver. Cooper's inevitable emergence only helps him because Cooper draws the tough corners. Crabtree is a great WR2, with a high floor and consistent production. I had him last year and targeted him this year and both times he's given me tremendous value.

He has plus match-ups in 4 out of the next 6 games (and one of the negative match-ups is SD, whose defense I expect to regress with the loss of DT Mebane--this will probably be a high-scoring game in SD). 

Is it just me or does something not feel right about Crabtree? Ankle injury this week (expected to play) and he really struggled with footing, drops v Houston. Looked like Del Rio told him to sit at the end of  that game. Maybe it was the ankle but I'm getting a bad vibe here. Anyone else get that feeling?

Ugh I don't know. I'm torn between sitting him for Marshall. You've seen more than me regarding that situation.

Dark Matter said:
Is it just me or does something not feel right about Crabtree? Ankle injury this week (expected to play) and he really struggled with footing, drops v Houston. Looked like Del Rio told him to sit at the end of  that game. Maybe it was the ankle but I'm getting a bad vibe here. Anyone else get that feeling?
It's just me.  :bag:

Ouch. Was nervous about him last night but didn't really have better options. Not a good start to my playoff game.

Almost no upside though 
Completely volume dependent. I would expect targets for Crabtree to decrease because 6.6 ypt is pretty terrible. He doesn't deserve so many more looks than Cooper. 

It should be noted MFL somehow shows Crabtree projected for 161 targets. I don't see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely volume dependent. I would expect targets for Crabtree to decrease because 6.6 ypt is pretty terrible. He doesn't deserve so many more looks than Cooper. 

It should be noted MFL somehow shows Crabtree projected for 161 targets. I don't see it.
I am not sure the coaches really care about yards per target. The team obviously likes Crabtree and there isn't much in the way of options on the team outside of Crabtree and Cooper. There is likely to be about 260-280 targets between the 2 WRs. I would expect it to be close to 50/50 in targets. 

They run different routes and have different strengths. I saw that Cooper is actually below average when it comes to contested catches while Crabtree is one of the best in the NFL, so don't let ypt influence you too much - Crabtree is still a very good WR. He's just not playing a sexy role in this offense. He finished 9th in first downs (for WRs - didn't check TEs), so I'm with Ilove80s in that the coaches probably don't care about ypt. What they likely care about is first downs and touchdowns. 

I am not sure the coaches really care about yards per target. The team obviously likes Crabtree and there isn't much in the way of options on the team outside of Crabtree and Cooper. There is likely to be about 260-280 targets between the 2 WRs. I would expect it to be close to 50/50 in targets. 
Ypt and catch rate are about the best numbers to measure a receiver's efectiveness. The coaches might not care about them, but they do care if Crabtree's doing well.

In comparing numbers between them, nothing suggests Crabtree plays better than Amari, thus deserves more targets. 

Anyway, he's the clear number two with no competition. He's a lock for 130 targets. Although, other than some TDs, he won't do much with those opportunities. As you've said, no upside. High floor player in the fourth is not too exciting, especially with guys like Stefon Diggs and Martavis Bryant sitting there.

Users who are viewing this thread