What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Evans, TB (1 Viewer)

Happy to see him stay with the Bucs.

I thought he might be the odd man out considering they want to resign Winfield and Baker. Can they afford both still?

Happy to see him stay with the Bucs.

I thought he might be the odd man out considering they want to resign Winfield and Baker. Can they afford both still?
My guess is Baker gets a longer term deal they can stretch the hit into later years.

Love you, Mike. :wub:

Yeah, you would think Evan’s coming back means Baker is as well…great deal for both the team and the player…he makes some legit $ and the team gets him on a deal where there is pretty much no exposure to it turning out bad.

Bucs have the money and only 2 years
I think it points more and more to the Bucs drafting a rookie QB that can walk right in and find success

I see it as the opposite…I think it means Baker is coming back…don’t think Evan’s would be looking to be involved in that type of situation at this point of his career.
100% Baker coming back. Mike is on record saying he does not want to play with a rookie QB. I don't think he signs this unless he knows who the QB is.

Good for Bucs fans. How you guys manage to keep this HOF WR from the clutches of other teams is impressive and a little disheartening.

He’s SO good.

Besides being in a good spot winning that title means he doesn’t need to ring-chase at this point of his career…that Brady signing is still paying dividends…meanwhile back in Foxboro…ah, nevermind.

Rumor is Baker is highly sought after in WAS and NE right now. He's only 28 years old. Can get another 5+ years out of him and fill holes by trading down. No ramp up time like their would be w a rook. WAS has needs at about 17 positions.

Rumor is Baker is highly sought after in WAS and NE right now. He's only 28 years old. Can get another 5+ years out of him and fill holes by trading down. No ramp up time like their would be w a rook. WAS has needs at about 17 positions.

Right now I would say it is being looked at as more of an option in New England…with Van Pelt onboard they do have some history with him…that being said drafting a QB at #3 and getting a Flacco/Brissett type of veteran QB appears to be option A.

Right now I would say it is being looked at as more of an option in New England…with Van Pelt onboard they do have some history with him…that being said drafting a QB at #3 and getting a Flacco/Brissett type of veteran QB appears to be option A.
I don't see how you can pass up this QB class for Baker Mayfield if you're in the top 3, and I freaking love Baker Mayfield.

I think Tampa will try and bring back Baker but I doubt any promises were made to Evans and whoever the QB might be did not impact his decision.

It was, as it usually is, about money and everything that goes along with it, such as feeling respected. I don't say that as a negative either and good for Evans who if we are looking at real money in contracts has the highest APY of any WR in the league, which of course will be toppled soon by multiple WR's.

I think you dreaming

I think Tampa will try and bring back Baker but I doubt any promises were made to Evans and whoever the QB might be did not impact his decision.

It was, as it usually is, about money and everything that goes along with it, such as feeling respected. I don't say that as a negative either and good for Evans who if we are looking at real money in contracts has the highest APY of any WR in the league, which of course will be toppled soon by multiple WR's.
Mike has produced with any number of bad to mediocre QBs in his career. However, I don't see him going out trying to break in a rookie from the back end of the 1st round, but that's just me. Maybe there aren't "promises" per se, but he has a really good idea who the QB is going to be. Otherwise there's no real reason for him to be the first one to sign. He'd just sit tight.

Mike has produced with any number of bad to mediocre QBs in his career. However, I don't see him going out trying to break in a rookie from the back end of the 1st round, but that's just me. Maybe there aren't "promises" per se, but he has a really good idea who the QB is going to be. Otherwise there's no real reason for him to be the first one to sign. He'd just sit tight.
I think he essentially tested the free agent market during the combine, not a coincidence he just signed right when it wrapped up. He had a goal, he got it and the offer from Tampa may not have been so good if he waited since as I understand it they were faced some dead money if they did not extend him by a certain date. Either way, I think he fully understands this was his best offer.

I truly don't think who is the QB ever came up.

I know some fans have a hard time with this, when these players say winning, where god sends them, who the QB is,etc,etc is reasons for where they sign about 99% of it is just fluff or things that matter when it's really close calls.

I think he essentially tested the free agent market during the combine, not a coincidence he just signed right when it wrapped up. He had a goal, he got it and the offer from Tampa may not have been so good if he waited since as I understand it they were faced some dead money if they did not extend him by a certain date. Either way, I think he fully understands this was his best offer.

I know some fans have a hard time with this, when these players say winning, where god sends them, who the QB is,etc,etc is reasons for where they sign about 99% of it is just fluff or things that matter when it's really close calls.
Deadline on that money was last week. Bucs have to pay it now regardless. That's why a lot of us were concerned that he was actually going to leave because it wasn't done prior.

National reporters had about a dozen teams going after him. Somebody said he could get the same money and more years. Who knows.

Maybe Evans just loves it in TB and wants to finish his career there. Glad to see TB take care of him with a reasonable offer. Has been such a good player for the last 10 years.

The patriots already got their future stud when they signed Nathan Rourke.

I hate him with the power of a thousand suns, but there's no arguing that he's earned that paper.
Go on…
Maybe I missed it but what did Mike ever do to get hated? Or did you lose in a championship game last year?
Nah, everytime the Saints and Bucs get in a scrap he does something thuggish, but in a cowardly way (hitting a player from behind, that kind of thing).

He's just a cheap shot + another way to call a cat a kitten.

That doesn't mean I can't respect his ability or output. He's got skills.

The patriots already got their future stud when they signed Nathan Rourke.

Rourke to Juju is the new Montana to Rice.

Argh as a long suffering Godwin owner. LOL
Godwin is "supposedly" returning to the slot this year anyway. Sure, without a star WR the slot guy could be used more (or maybe even Godwin would end up out wide after all, had they not kept Evans). But shouldn't make a big difference for him if that was true.

I think you dreaming

Nah. I prefer WAS go a different direction. But for them and NE, they have tons of cap space. Signing him to a $25M/year for 4 yrs doesn't impact them much. He's 8 years younger than Cousins. He's better than Fields. He has excellent stats despite being in bad situations in CLE and CAR. The rookies are only 5 years younger (except Drake) and have no guarantee of being anything. Baker you know what you get. Possibly a Goff type situation where his impact is immediate. Plus he has a hot wife. I'm sure Tampa has the inside scoop to keep him. But there's no reason others shouldn't be interested if they want to win now rather than in 2-3 years. Or that Evans owners should assume BM is automatically n Tampa

Golly, maybe he simply wanted to stay where he's been his entire career.

I'm sure continuity and familiarity play a part in decisions like this.

Do you think he gave Tampa Bay a "hometown discount" and took less money to stay where he's been his entire career?

Golly, maybe he simply wanted to stay where he's been his entire career.

Do you think he gave Tampa Bay a "hometown discount" and took less money to stay where he's been his entire career?
From an AAV perspective I think he'll only be behind Tyreek Hill, so no discount in that case. However, I do think he could have made more guaranteed money on a longer term deal if he'd hit the market. Adams was just one year younger and signed a deal for 5 years and $140M with $65M guaranteed only two seasons ago.

May be a great deal for Evans in the sense that he's a FA again in just a couple years. Or, he just truly intends to play these two more and then hang em up.

He got 35 mill guaranteed over two years, and I assumed any deals wouldn't have guaranteed money after the first two years, so I am guessing if he took a discount, it wasn't massive. I think his agent knew what TB was thinking about, went to the Combine, and sniffed around, and found the guaranteed money was similar.

Just the human side, in general. This is a human, with a wife, and three kids, who have been in Tampa for a decade--and is loved in town, and is wanted back. Evans re-signing with Tampa should have always been the overwhelming favored result. Most people, if they are in a place they like, and their boss likes them, want to stay where they are.

Sports fans, and fantasy players even moreso, forget this. It does not enter their mindset. They see a guy is a free agent, and start moving him around the league, to imagine what an offense would look like with him. What kind of fantasy numbers he might get.

But I think Mike Evans taking less money to ring chase in KC/wherever was always extremely unlikely. You listen to any of these former execs, Andrew Brandt etc, they all say the same thing. If a team really wants to keep a guy, they do. Most players, if the money is the same/close, want to stay.

Same thing with coaches and execs. Fans imagine the moves these people might make, without considering that a coach/exec is trying to keep their job.

He got 35 mill guaranteed over two years, and I assumed any deals wouldn't have guaranteed money after the first two years, so I am guessing if he took a discount, it wasn't massive. I think his agent knew what TB was thinking about, went to the Combine, and sniffed around, and found the guaranteed money was similar.

Just the human side, in general. This is a human, with a wife, and three kids, who have been in Tampa for a decade--and is loved in town, and is wanted back. Evans re-signing with Tampa should have always been the overwhelming favored result. Most people, if they are in a place they like, and their boss likes them, want to stay where they are.

Sports fans, and fantasy players even moreso, forget this. It does not enter their mindset. They see a guy is a free agent, and start moving him around the league, to imagine what an offense would look like with him. What kind of fantasy numbers he might get.

But I think Mike Evans taking less money to ring chase in KC/wherever was always extremely unlikely. You listen to any of these former execs, Andrew Brandt etc, they all say the same thing. If a team really wants to keep a guy, they do. Most players, if the money is the same/close, want to stay.

Same thing with coaches and execs. Fans imagine the moves these people might make, without considering that a coach/exec is trying to keep their job.

I'm always interested in the money part and hometown discount. Like anything, it's a matter of degree. If he likes the city and situation (and I assume he does), it makes sense to put a value on staying there and not having to move. How much value is always the question. It's a "what's it worth?" discussion.

All things being equal, he likely stays in TB. If he could make $ 10 million more in Kansas City, that might be a different story.

May be a great deal for Evans in the sense that he's a FA again in just a couple years. Or, he just truly intends to play these two more and then hang em up.

Agreed. It'll be interesting when that rolls around. The FA market for 32 year old WRs is interesting.

Evans re-signing with Tampa should have always been the overwhelming favored result. Most people, if they are in a place they like, and their boss likes them, want to stay where they are.

Interesting. I didn't see it as always the overwhelming favored result.

I was more like you at the beginning of the season when you wrote, "Letting him finish the deal, and move on seems to be the prudent business decision."

He's 30 years old. I don't know how big the market actually was. But I'm happy for him. Seems like he got a deal he liked. Although I wouldn't have been at all surprised to have seen him move on.

Interesting. I didn't see it as always the overwhelming favored result.

I was more like you at the beginning of the season when you wrote, "Letting him finish the deal, and move on seems to be the prudent business decision."
Shoot, I didn't 't think he was going to be this good with Baker.

I thought this team was going to be rebuilding by now.

I don’t think he took a hometown discount but I also don’t think he squeezed them as well…this deal is a perfect middle-ground for both the team and player.
Yeah, that deal, when announced, everyone was like, yeah, sounds about right.

This wasn't a Christian Kirk contract.

Users who are viewing this thread