What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (4 Viewers)

I don't get why Cleveland is so content to force the ball into tight coverage with Jarvis Landry or backup TEs because they're scared of a CB that OBJ has been dominating every time you gave him the chance to.

I don't get why Baker is willing to throw 50/50 balls to Landry and Harris and Callaway but is unwilling to give OBJ a chance to make a play.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Weird.

Also just 1 TD. A guy who can sky like OB is a QB’s best friend.
Because football is a team sport.  Show me every super-awesome warm-up 1 handed miracle you can google.

He has never exceeded expectations and nothing indicates that will change.

In my league he is 39th WITH the 89 yd gift from the Jets.

Also, this has a real Randy Moss Career Arc feel to it. Exploded early with a team, wore out welcome, trades, rots for a few years on a moribund franchise, written off and traded to a good franchise for peanuts a few years later to have a Renaissance. 

Browns' redzone targets this year:

Jarvis Landry - 11
Antonio Callaway - 5 (in 4 games)
Damion Ratley - 4 (5 games)
Demetrius Harris - 4
Odell Beckham - 4

Absurd.

Browns' redzone targets this year:

Jarvis Landry - 11
Antonio Callaway - 5 (in 4 games)
Damion Ratley - 4 (5 games)
Demetrius Harris - 4
Odell Beckham - 4

Absurd.

:goodposting:

I'm hopeful for a second half resurgence because his targets/usage (and ultimately fantasy points) appears to be completely correctable - just target him more frequently.

He had 100 catches once and never more than 1500 yards.  The double digit TD numbers were pretty good.

But that's expected for 'the most talented WR in the game'
1500 yards??  That's what you need nowadays to be considered a top receiver?  Bwahahaha

Oh, and with a past-his=prime Eli Manning as his quarterback?

Last edited by a moderator:
1500 yards??  That's what you need nowadays to be considered a top receiver?  Bwahahaha

Oh, and with a past-his=prime Eli Manning as his quarterback?
The numbers are on the board.

The hype is off the charts.  The numbers are not.

He is a very good WR.  But he drops balls and disappears way too much.  I’d rather not bait further but he’s a #metoo player who does not elevate himself or those around him.

He left a lot on the table.

The numbers are on the board.

The hype is off the charts.  The numbers are not.

He is a very good WR.  But he drops balls and disappears way too much.  I’d rather not bait further but he’s a #metoo player who does not elevate himself or those around him.

He left a lot on the table.
This is what it looks like when people buy into media narratives about players, draw bad conclusions from stats and don't watch games

Odell Beckham caught 5-of-12 targets for 57 yards in the Browns' Week 10 win over the Bills.

Beckham nearly had a 75-yard touchdown on the first play from scrimmage — he had a step on Tre'Davious White — but Baker Mayfield wasn't on target. After that, White largely had OBJ's number, but the wideout did manage to draw a DPI on White in the end zone. Beckham has caught at least five passes in four straight games but managed to clear 60 yards only twice in the process. Beckham's volume remains that of a WR1, but the yardage and scores simply haven't been there in the Browns' dysfunctional offense. Beckham has a brutal short-week draw in the Steelers for Week 11.

This is what it looks like when people buy into media narratives about players, draw bad conclusions from stats and don't watch games
5-57 so right on schedule for a Top 30 season.  Flex/ WR3?  I wish I could grab him on waivers for depth.

oh yeah btw keep attacking me ...  but it’s a lot more fun to talk *#$& about OBJ or whomever and just enjoy the dialogue.  I’m plenty homer for certain other players and defend them.  Your move.

5-57 so right on schedule for a Top 30 season.  Flex/ WR3?  I wish I could grab him on waivers for depth.

oh yeah btw keep attacking me ...  but it’s a lot more fun to talk *#$& about OBJ or whomever and just enjoy the dialogue.  I’m plenty homer for certain other players and defend them.  Your move.
Keep it 100% on Football and not each other. Easy way to check, look at what you've typed and if there is anything there about another poster, don't post it. 

Keep it 100% on Football and not each other. Easy way to check, look at what you've typed and if there is anything there about another poster, don't post it. 

If you think the entirety of what we need to know about Odell Beckham is limited to his play on the field, then you haven’t been paying attention for the past few years. 

I had him projected for a huge year.  Luckily I missed out on him in all but one league.  I don't understand how someone with this much talent performs like this.  Yeah Mayfield sucks, but Eli wasn't any better last year.

If you think the entirety of what we need to know about Odell Beckham is limited to his play on the field, then you haven’t been paying attention for the past few years. 
I said "Keep it 100% on Football and not each other. Easy way to check, look at what you've typed and if there is anything there about another poster, don't post it." 

I pay pretty close attention, thanks. 

I had him projected for a huge year.  Luckily I missed out on him in all but one league.  I don't understand how someone with this much talent performs like this.  Yeah Mayfield sucks, but Eli wasn't any better last year.
It's a combination of the bad play calling and Baker being terrible. People keep saying Eli was terrible but look at Barkley struggling with his new QB. 

BassNBrew said:
The problem is not just Mayfield. And it's not just Freddie. It's all of them, Beckham included. He's left plays out there every game.

Odell Beckham caught 4-of-10 targets for 60 yards in the Browns' Week 11 win over the Steelers.

Beckham came out blazing hot on the Browns' opening drive, catching two passes for 49 yards. His second reception appeared to be a 43-yard touchdown, but replay ruled him down at the one-yard line. It would be a costly overturn for fantasy players, as Beckham somehow gained only 11 more yards all evening. An inaccurate Baker Mayfield could not connect with his No. 1 wideout. Beckham has 22 targets over his past two games but just 117 yards to show for it. He will maintain blow-up potential for Week 12 vs. the Dolphins.

It was like Baker could hit Landry and others fine, but whenever he targeted Beckham he got hit with momentary blindness. That one pass toward Beckham open on the sideline was among the worst I’ve ever seen.

It was like Baker could hit Landry and others fine, but whenever he targeted Beckham he got hit with momentary blindness. That one pass toward Beckham open on the sideline was among the worst I’ve ever seen.
Just a miserable season for OBJ owners. He's barely inside the top-40 WR list on PPG basis... granted, he moves up that list "NASCAR style" (some ranked ahead of him are out of the race).

Maybe I'm overly optimistic (and I also don't have any better options) but I was slightly encouraged by the last two weeks.  He's getting plenty of targets including some in the redzone.  He nearly had 2 TDs last night and I believe a blow up game is coming for him - positive regression and all that.  Hopefully it will be in the playoffs and I will be able to make it with OBJ underperforming to this point.  

Maybe I'm overly optimistic (and I also don't have any better options) but I was slightly encouraged by the last two weeks.  He's getting plenty of targets including some in the redzone.  He nearly had 2 TDs last night and I believe a blow up game is coming for him - positive regression and all that.  Hopefully it will be in the playoffs and I will be able to make it with OBJ underperforming to this point.  
Same here, 22 targets in last two games.  If that TD doesn't get overturned last night it's a totally different tune in here.  Dolphins get right game next week. 

When it comes to wrs, it usually comes down to the qb. Can Mayfield learn how to connect with him or not?  We know Eli sucked, is this going to be more of the same every week?

Will do.  

Beckham was 4-60 in a HUGE game.  1 ft from the score though.

His best move was a months old reaction to Tomlin.  That’s not how this works.

After Thursday I’d say he’s bad at breaking routes and he is not interested in contact.  

When Big Ben scrambles the instant thought was AB TD.  When Rodgers does it’s always a rope to a suddenly wide open guy.  And even now Dak is gaining chemistry with Amari.

I’d like to see coaches tape but I’d bet he runs his route but then mentally throws his hands up.  Whatever it is it’s not elite and if you want him you will overpay.

When it comes to wrs, it usually comes down to the qb. Can Mayfield learn how to connect with him or not?  We know Eli sucked, is this going to be more of the same every week?
Wonder if OBJ regrets not showing up for practice and building that rapport? Could have a lot to do with the lack of chemistry between him and Baker.

Odell Beckham caught 3-of-6 targets for 29 yards in Cleveland's Week 13 loss to the Steelers.

The prized offseason acquisition has now gone six straight games without eclipsing 100 receiving yards for the first time in his career. It's also the third time he's finished with less than 30 yards in '19. Beckham notched two of his three catches in Cleveland's first three drives but didn't record his next and final reception — a 19-yard gain along the sideline — until midway through the fourth quarter. At this point, it's very clear Jarvis Landry (6/76) has run away as Cleveland's most trustworthy wideout. Beckham should still be able to get back on the board against the Bengals in Week 14.

Wonder if OBJ regrets not showing up for practice and building that rapport? Could have a lot to do with the lack of chemistry between him and Baker.
i mentioned this in the off-season and was roasted for it.  

it’s clear that something is off, and there’s no way that being around for the installs wouldn’t have helped. 

then again, maybe he is actually injured and he just can’t get separation.   wouldn’t be the first time a team traded damaged goods.  

i mentioned this in the off-season and was roasted for it.  

it’s clear that something is off, and there’s no way that being around for the installs wouldn’t have helped. 

then again, maybe he is actually injured and he just can’t get separation.   wouldn’t be the first time a team traded damaged goods.  
If this were really that big of an issue then teams wouldn't trade for wide receivers in the middle of the season. 

Users who are viewing this thread