What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., MIA (2 Viewers)

BigAl21 said:
If you don't understand that I am speaking about him throughout his tenure as a Giant then I will make it simpler - Odell has shown immaturity that has created distractions throughout his time as a Giant, which he has admitted to. 
The only incident of his that I would consider a distraction was the Josh Norman game back in 2015

The only incident of his that I would consider a distraction was the Josh Norman game back in 2015
Yeah, I would say he distracts the camera much more than he distracts his coaches/teammates.  Would absolutely LOVE for my Browns to get this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how much validity but posted on another forum

WFAN has just reported that Giants legend Carl Banks has two sources that are reporting that there is a team willing to offer the Giants their next three 1st round draft picks and second rounder in 2018 and a 3rd rounder in 2018

Like I said, OBJ is NOT Brandin Cooks. OBJ is NOT Kelvin Benjamin. OBJ is not Sammy Watkins. OBJ is equivalent to trading away your franchise for getting that #1 QB in a draft. Rams seem out since they dont have a 2nd rounder. It has to be another team.

When pressed, it is reported that Carl Banks stated that his sources "do not speak to any of the NFL news big wigs like Schefter, Rapoport, etc" and that they wanted him exclusive access to this story.

WFAN has just reported that Giants legend Carl Banks has two sources that are reporting that there is a team willing to offer the Giants their next three 1st round draft picks and second rounder in 2018 and a 3rd rounder in 2018

Like I said, OBJ is NOT Brandin Cooks. OBJ is NOT Kelvin Benjamin. OBJ is not Sammy Watkins. OBJ is equivalent to trading away your franchise for getting that #1 QB in a draft. Rams seem out since they dont have a 2nd rounder. It has to be another team.

When pressed, it is reported that Carl Banks stated that his sources "do not speak to any of the NFL news big wigs like Schefter, Rapoport, etc" and that they wanted him exclusive access to this story.
Ummm, no

If this was true, the deal would be done.

I would have to imagine if this was accurate, Beckham would be gone already.

lol. i wouldn't have even typed that up

I would certainly add the Miami Boat Trip to the list, if you'd forgotten that saga. The timing was great!

He's certainly not a bad guy; just immature, often a distraction and delusional - delusional that the Giants will pay him his ask after his past behaviors. 

The Giants don't even want to pay him the huge deal, but some other team will not only pay it but give up three 1sts to do it?  Tee hee.  Tee hee

I would certainly add the Miami Boat Trip to the list, if you'd forgotten that saga. The timing was great!

He's certainly not a bad guy; just immature, often a distraction and delusional - delusional that the Giants will pay him his ask after his past behaviors. 
No I didn’t forget about the boat trip. I agree it wasn’t a good look for him (publicly) to go on the trip but disagree that it was a distraction to his teammates.

The boat trip was taken when the whole team was given time off. I seriously doubt his teammates care what he does on his off days since they are probably busy enjoying those days in their own way.

Nah, GM fired before it could happen.
Trust me when I say that I can't quite see the need for the GMen to trade OBJ at this point in time   I mean that I would envision a rookie QB needing not be a concern for contract talks for at least four seasons  Thus I would suspect paying OBJ a large contract during the period acceptable 

Now some other teams listed above (Faust's link)  Say the Colts because its too easy to make sense of the Browns overpaying for known talent  (imho) The Colts have potentially two skilled QB's which should mean an elite WR is quite desirable  Basically, I'd hope to fire a GM who failed to acquire such a player 

That's the type of offer that only gets made for a franchise QB locked into a long term contract. 

The only way I can see his source being accurate is if it actually includes the Giants #2 pick as well, so the return would be including what it takes to move from pick X up to #2.

For example, Buffalo trades #12, 2019 1st, 2020 1st, etc to NYG for OBJ and #2. 

I think Carl Banks is just messing with people on twitter

Right.

Schefter ain't throwing #### to the wind, he lives off his accuracy. 

He's got a good feeling that OBJ is gone. 

Giving up their #4 is not a move Id agree with. 
No of course not.  However, with plenty of trade down opportunities, even if it is for people trading up for Barkley/Chubb/whoever, we can make it work and work well, while still getting an excellent playing from the pick 4 trade.

Thanks Sashi!!!

Keyshawn was traded in his prime for 2 1st rd picks...then signed a huge extension.....If I were the Rams I would deal #23 and next years 1st.....that puts them in as a legit Super Bowl contender.  

Keyshawn was traded in his prime for 2 1st rd picks...then signed a huge extension.....If I were the Rams I would deal #23 and next years 1st.....that puts them in as a legit Super Bowl contender.  
The salary and loss of the first will kill them down the road. It certainly makes them sexy but wrs don't win super bowls on their own.

The New York Daily News' Gary Myers reports Odell Beckham "has told a couple of Rams players he wants in."

The Rams also clearly want to acquire Beckham and reportedly have put the No. 23 pick on the table. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Giants are looking for "at least two first-round picks," however, and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Giants would have to be "blown away." That asking price could change if Beckham says he will not sign an extension, but right now it is unclear if the Rams are willing to give up a king's ransom while also agreeing to Beckham's lofty contract demands. It seems absurd for the Giants to trade Beckham, but there is enough smoke around this story to take it seriously.

Related: Rams

Source: New York Daily News 

Mar 29 - 9:38 AM

Just seems unlikely to retain all of those players, who are either at the top of their respective positions or at the very least will command a lot of money when its their time. Cap goes up, salaries go up. OBJ asking for 20+ a year, Donald will command around 30, Goff will likely get market price for whatever franchise qbs are getting at the time, who knows what or if they will pay gurley.

Seems like a lot is all.

Not really...

OverTheCap.com projects the Rams with $94.5 million in cap space in 2019, second most in the NFL. In 2020, it's $159.3 million, more than anybody else.

and the NFL figures to continue to raise the cap
The number is mostly meaningless more than a year out for a team like the Rams with only 36 players under contract for 2019 (vs 63 currently) and only 12 under contract for 2020, with a lot of big names unsigned next year. They aren't going to let all of Donald, Joyner, Gurley, Saffold, etc. walk and many of those guys are going to get max contracts for their positions. That's not counting a one year rental like Suh either if they decide to retain him. Some of that future cap space will get taken up once they sign some extensions and activate Gurley's 5th year option.

With less than half their roster under contract for next year, sure they could fit OBJ in since the money isn't spoken for yet, but its going to require cuts in other areas and letting some of the guys named above walk. The best judge on whether a trade would be likely is that they only have $10M available right now, which means they would have to dump some guys or restructure some contracts right now just to trade for him in the first place.

The number is mostly meaningless more than a year out for a team like the Rams with only 36 players under contract for 2019 (vs 63 currently) and only 12 under contract for 2020, with a lot of big names unsigned next year. They aren't going to let all of Donald, Joyner, Gurley, Saffold, etc. walk and many of those guys are going to get max contracts for their positions. That's not counting a one year rental like Suh either if they decide to retain him. Some of that future cap space will get taken up once they sign some extensions and activate Gurley's 5th year option.

With less than half their roster under contract for next year, sure they could fit OBJ in since the money isn't spoken for yet, but its going to require cuts in other areas and letting some of the guys named above walk. The best judge on whether a trade would be likely is that they only have $10M available right now, which means they would have to dump some guys or restructure some contracts right now just to trade for him in the first place.
I would imagine Tavon Austin would either be included in the deal or released.

I would imagine Tavon Austin would either be included in the deal or released.
They reworked his deal two weeks ago instead of cutting him then. There is minimal savings that can be had by cutting or trading him now as his $5M roster bonus is dead money and the rest of his contract is incentive based.

They reworked his deal two weeks ago instead of cutting him then. There is minimal savings that can be had by cutting or trading him now as his $5M roster bonus is dead money and the rest of his contract is incentive based.
I think they'd save $2M this season if they got rid of him but maybe Dr. Octopus meant the 2019 cap savings they'd get for cutting or trading him? That's just clearing a straight $9.5M without a hit. Might as well book that.

Just seems unlikely to retain all of those players, who are either at the top of their respective positions or at the very least will command a lot of money when its their time. Cap goes up, salaries go up. OBJ asking for 20+ a year, Donald will command around 30, Goff will likely get market price for whatever franchise qbs are getting at the time, who knows what or if they will pay gurley.

Seems like a lot is all.
The can retain them all for 3-4 years.  Makes for a hell of a nice window of opportunity.  

Cant blame them one bit if they royally screw up the cap for 2022

If the Giants trade OBJ, why would they trade him to the Rams or any other NFC team?

He's too good and too young to send him within the conference.  If he's sent elsewhere, it will be to an AFC team.

I really only want him on the Browns to see Bazinga squirm.

He's great and all, but I'd prefer Landry + Gordon, long term

Why would I squirm?  I already know your crappy organization would find a way to f it up.

ETA: oh and btw, you would have to be an idiot to prefer Landry and Gordon over OBJ
Or maybe he's not an idiot and figures Gordon plus OBJ = trouble. Maybe he doesn't want that for his team.

The Rams actually have 14MM available and gain 3MM if they cut Austin.  This year is not an issue though.  They would be extending his current contract, so they already have enough space for this year.  Your explanation for how you have to compromise in other areas when you sign a big star contract is a big DUH.  All teams have that issue unless they don't have stars.  I will concede that if OBJ wants to play for a team without other stars, they will have an advantage in signing him.
Curious where does that number come from? While not the league official number, Over the Cap has them at $10M and that's without John Sullivan's 2yr, 10M deal which has additional incentives. OBJ's current year is $8.45M, even with your 14M cap space number they would have to do more than cut Austin (he's due $5M guaranteed after they already renegotiated his contract two weeks ago) to have enough money as they need somewhere between $4M~$6M to sign their draft picks and they need a cushion to start the year as well. We also don't know how much of their incentives to players are considered likely to be reached and that would subtract from their available space number as well.

Sportrac's $21.5M number is way off, they are missing some signings like Nickell Robey-Coleman among others.

they would have to do more than cut Austin (he's due $5M guaranteed after they already renegotiated his contract two weeks ago)
If they cut him they eat the guarantee and only save what I saw was $2m. But if they made Giants taking him back as a condition of the trade it frees up $7m.

^^^ follows me around the forum, accuses me of aliases, etc etc. 

Doesn't change the fact that I'm liked around here. I'm adorable. 

Or maybe he's not an idiot and figures Gordon plus OBJ = trouble. Maybe he doesn't want that for his team.
Yeah with both of them on the field they might actually score some touchdowns, and that's very anti-Browns.  Super Bowl is every April baby!

Good lord.  You think if we sent a link to the last page here that the NFL might move its draft up a couple of weeks?  This is what happens when society doesn’t allow spanking any longer.

If they cut him they eat the guarantee and only save what I saw was $2m. But if they made Giants taking him back as a condition of the trade it frees up $7m.
Was finally able to find some more details on his new contract, La Canfora reported it's a $4M roster bonus, $1M guaranteed base and $3M in incentives, consisting of $2M in gameday active bonuses and $1M incentive in combined rush/receiving yds from 400 to 700 yds. The Rams will have to eat the $4M no matter what on their cap since it was already paid on March 16th, if traded the rest travels with him. Likely the $2M in game day active bonuses are considered likely to be earned and are currently counted against the cap (jives with what is shown on OverTheCap.com.) The combined yards incentive would not count until he reaches it.

So it would be a $3M savings to trade him with $4M in dead money.

Users who are viewing this thread