What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Preston Williams, MIA (2 Viewers)

I took him last pick in the 1st round. I know I could have gotten him later probably but the longer I wait the more chance someone grabbed him and I've seen enough I didn't want to risk it.

He showed me just as much talent the last 2 games as he did the first game. 

Now I'm hoping for a couple things to happen to get this train started quicker. 

A) They release/Trade Stills 

B) They release/trade Parker

C) Fitz wins the starting job
I think we'll get A and C.

He still has to pan out, and there's a very real possibility the Dolphins aren't good for the next 4-5 years and he's never going to do anything because the team is garbage. 
Needs Fitzmagic to play and Stills to get cut. Preston will lead the team in receiving if that happens.

A couple things here. The first game against 2nd/3rd string scrubs he made contested catches all over the place. The second game he missed the catch of the preseason by half a toe. The third game he smoked two All Pro CB on routes. 

If Brandon Marshall and AJ Green were to have a baby this is how that baby would play WR. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Needs Fitzmagic to play and Stills to get cut. Preston will lead the team in receiving if that happens.

A couple things here. The first game against 2nd/3rd string scrubs he made contested catches all over the place. The second game he missed the catch of the preseason by half a toe. The third game he smoked two All Pro CB on routes. 

If Brandon Marshall and AJ Green were to have a baby this is how that baby would play WR. 
2nd game was not a good one for him by any stretch. From where he’s coming from he can’t afford multiple drop games and needed to maximize his opportunities.

If he does that & they still wanna play Parker and Stills, he’s done all he can do. But he had a lousy Week 2 and I hope the coaches don’t hold that against him. But he gave them that out with his poor play.

2nd game was not a good one for him by any stretch. From where he’s coming from he can’t afford multiple drop games and needed to maximize his opportunities.

If he does that & they still wanna play Parker and Stills, he’s done all he can do. But he had a lousy Week 2 and I hope the coaches don’t hold that against him. But he gave them that out with his poor play.
Good points.

On a team that's very bereft of playmakers, one would think that the coaching staff would like to get him on the field.

be should make the team unless he does something knuckleheaded off the field....stills might be traded/cutt.....but lets hold off on the bust for canton

Legitimately, what's his best case scenario for this year.  800 yards receiving?  Horrible offense, and I get that they will be down early and often which is good for garbage yards, but he's got competition on his team. 

Also, what's the best rookie season ever by an undrafted rookie?

Legitimately, what's his best case scenario for this year.  800 yards receiving?  Horrible offense, and I get that they will be down early and often which is good for garbage yards, but he's got competition on his team. 

Not exactly the answer that you were seeking but this article from 2015 listed the top 5 UDFA Wide Receivers of All Time:

The NFL’s Top 5 Undrafted Wide Receivers of All Time

Even if Parker is ahead on the depth chart, he’ll be injured at some point. 
Parker had to be taught by Kenny Stills and the Dolphins on how to have an NFL level work ethic and a commitment to nutrition:

This is how the Miami Dolphins’ Kenny Stills answers the DeVante Parker critics

Stills made the transition from potential to production in 2016 and ‘17 when he combined for 15 touchdowns. He’s hoping — indeed everyone in the Dolphins organization is hoping — Parker can make a similar leap this season.

“I’ve been watching and trying to play the big brother role for him — get him on the little details of every day life,” Stills said. “Training, rehab, all the things the staff here are trying to get him to understand and trying to get him on a routine on, we’re working on. I’ve just continued to harp on those things with him. 

“The evolution of how he’s taking the coaching, how he’s adding everything to his plan of what works for him makes me really proud because I’ve seen the way he’s grown.”

Understand that Parker started the journey toward conducting himself like a professional at an elementary level. A couple of years ago, the Dolphins discovered they had to tell him to have a healthy breakfast every morning.

Then someone realized Parker was playing video games into the late hours of the morning before reporting for work the next morning.

Then someone realized Parker liked chicken nuggets and other food that isn’t exactly great fuel for an NFL wide receiver.

That’s history now. Parker has solved that stuff.

Now he’s got to, you know, actually go play like everyone expects of a former No. 1 draft pick with boundless physical gifts.
I keep hearing the same news about Parker in 2019 that was said in prior years - that he has figured it out and somehow this is the year that he will breakout. I’ve kind of lost faith in seeing it happen with the injuries and with Parker’s seemingly lukewarm internal drive to translate his talent into production. I traded him away last year and have no regrets. I am fully onboard with the Preston Williams hype train.

I don't agree. He had one bad drop. One drop that was thrown at his feet. One spectacular catch for a 30+ TD where the tip of his toe was on the out of bounds line. 

His ceiling is 1000 yards 6-8 TDs. 

He’s a great athlete and uses his size/strength well. But when you’re an UDFA you need to be near perfect if you want to see snaps when it counts.
In a normal situation I would agree with you wholeheartedly.  But Miami is entirely bereft of offensive talent.  I think he is in line get meaningful snaps this season as long as he runs the plays correctly.

He is a project. But Kenny Stills is going to be shown the door either via trade or outright release. Williams will have time to develop in this Miami rebuild. Albert Wilson is coming off a serious hip injury (love that kid's game though), Parker is DOA. So Williams will have plenty of looks and chances to prove himself throughout the season.

He is a project. But Kenny Stills is going to be shown the door either via trade or outright release. Williams will have time to develop in this Miami rebuild. Albert Wilson is coming off a serious hip injury (love that kid's game though), Parker is DOA. So Williams will have plenty of looks and chances to prove himself throughout the season.
That's how I see it too. 

WEEK 2

7 targets

2 drops (0:30 & 2:17 - neither was at his feet, very catchable)

The low throw was a third drop but not ruled as such (tough play.)

The acrobatic near catch is at 3:55

1 catch 

7 yards

He’s a great athlete and uses his size/strength well. But when you’re an UDFA you need to be near perfect if you want to see snaps when it counts.
Meh second one he got crushed instantly when the ball hit his hands. Yeah he could have caught that but I wouldn't neccesarily rule it a drop. Admittingly drops are all looked at differently. That's why drop rates are largely useless. We don't know how people quantify them. 

A bad throw and a toe away from 3 catches for 50+ yards and a TD. 

Not a terrible game imo. 

Who has the better career dynasty wise between Williams and Arcega-Whiteside?
JJAW IMO, just because he has a head start with a good qb and a good team

I was just thinking this myself with others in the 19 class and IMO JJAW is the only WR I think will have a better career than him. 

ETA: a lot has to go right for the above to be true

Milkman said:
Meh second one he got crushed instantly when the ball hit his hands. Yeah he could have caught that but I wouldn't neccesarily rule it a drop. Admittingly drops are all looked at differently. That's why drop rates are largely useless. We don't know how people quantify them. 

A bad throw and a toe away from 3 catches for 50+ yards and a TD. 

Not a terrible game imo. 
That was a horrible game. I drafted Williams at an end of the 3rd level pick in a dynasty so I’m in on him big time but let’s not be blind loyalists. 

To answer the question above, JJAW is my #1 rookie WR in this class. He went at 1.6 and I commended the guy who took him. 

tangfoot said:
In a normal situation I would agree with you wholeheartedly.  But Miami is entirely bereft of offensive talent.  I think he is in line get meaningful snaps this season as long as he runs the plays correctly.
You can't legislate usage

Dr. Dan said:
JJAW IMO, just because he has a head start with a good qb and a good team

I was just thinking this myself with others in the 19 class and IMO JJAW is the only WR I think will have a better career than him. 

ETA: a lot has to go right for the above to be true
Got JAW, but now I’ll likely have to decide between Williams and Isabella, as they both seem to be falling a bit.  This is in round 4 of a 12 team league with IDP. 

Got JAW, but now I’ll likely have to decide between Williams and Isabella, as they both seem to be falling a bit.  This is in round 4 of a 12 team league with IDP. 
I like both a lot... I took Isabella in 2/2 rookie drafts and a dynasty start up. That would be a really hard decision if I had to pick between the two, but I think I could do it

How do you see those 30 being distributed? 
9.2 on target within 8 yards of the LOS
3.8 on target behind the LOS
1.2  on target 9+ yards downfield
4.2 that the target has to lay out but makes the catch
3.1 on the turf 2 yards short of target
2.6 out of the reach of everyone
2.1 out of the reach of Marquise Brown that everyone else would have caught
1.8 tipped away by a DB he never saw
1.1 straight to a DB he saw
0.9 airmailed into the seats

Not lazy, just basic. 

He is 10 of 16 this preseason (38 plays = half games worth of work) for 117 yards.  That puts him on pace for 3400. And 0 TDs. That would make him top 12 in attempts and bottom 12 in passing yards.

But to get to that many attempts he has personally rushed 2 times for 14 yards. *I don't see that continuing to play out.

from your link to the original link/story obx "We should note here that Jackson doesn't distinguish from pass attempts and dropbacks, which would include plays which are designed for him to pass but turn into scrambles for the NFL's most dangerous running QB."   👨‍⚖️
I don't know what Lamar Jackson is going to become. However, I do know we can't extrapolate too much from pre-season. Much respect to you and your contributions to this board, I just don't think we've seen the new offense and what type of Rookie to Sophomore season jump Lamar may have.

Do we remember last year?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24255909/kansas-city-chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes-plagued-mistakes

I'm hearing he beat Ramsey badly on two other routes too but was not targeted. I haven't seen that yet......

Last year I went all in and spent the year's allocation of BBIDs in my PPR dynasty leagues on Lindsay. Turned out to be a great move. 

This year, spent 87% of my BBID in all my leagues and grabbed "The Unicorn"  :pickle:

Only 2 leagues I didn't land him (out of 10) were the 2 leagues where Darwin Thompson was available. I used the Full Monty of BBIDs to land him in those 2 leagues  :drive:

I really don't know.
It was all over the place last year.  I don't know either, but I'm guessing there won't be a very reliable passing game weapon from week to week. 

Back to Williams, it will be interesting to see if he starts the game again tomorrow or how he is deployed. 

He was drafted at pick 261 in a 32 team redraft league recently. 

I was looking at the list of ineptitude that is the Dolphins WR roster right now. I do not think I can say strongly enough how bad this collection of players is. It took great skill to assemble such a cast of flawed players.

Last year I went all in and spent the year's allocation of BBIDs in my PPR dynasty leagues on Lindsay. Turned out to be a great move. 

This year, spent 87% of my BBID in all my leagues and grabbed "The Unicorn"  :pickle:

Only 2 leagues I didn't land him (out of 10) were the 2 leagues where Darwin Thompson was available. I used the Full Monty of BBIDs to land him in those 2 leagues  :drive:
You can't take it with you, right?

I like the kids talent. But seriously. You have to temper your expectations. Dynasty he is well worth a stash. 

There is also another “unicorn” out there in Keeland Doss who has looked as good as The Unicorn. And no one is talking about him.

I took him this morning in round 4.7 (12 team PPR Dynasty rookie/free agent draft). 

HARD KNOCKS SPECIAL!!!

I hope Preston pans out as a lifer and suffering Dolphins fan. Last night I showed my son a replay of the 1994 game vs the Patriots and showed him.....”See I told you we were a good team once!” As Marino coming off an Achilles heal injury had a epic shoot-out vs Bledsoe. 

Ahhhhhh the good old days. I miss Dan The Man. Damn we suck.

Keeland is nice but some decent mouths to feed in Oakland. Preston gives us a boner because he has a clear path to being the alpha dog on his team if he can perform.
I get it. But again...when you see what we have on the OL in week one......no matter who is back there tossing the rock...they will be running for their very lives. It is brutal.

I get it. But again...when you see what we have on the OL in week one......no matter who is back there tossing the rock...they will be running for their very lives. It is brutal.
Haha, true. Wasn't there a point in the offseason where you guys only had 1 guard or something even on the roster?

Traded 2 players for 1 and used the open space to nab Preston off the waiver wire about a week ago. He's very talented and athletically gifted, it does seem like he needs to work on the basics though. He makes some concentration drops on the easy passes. 

Users who are viewing this thread