What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Preston Williams, MIA (2 Viewers)

He torched Jalen Ramsey in the 1st quarter, but Fitzpatrick underthrew it by 5-10 yards, and Williams had to stop and try to come back to it. A good throw, and we might be looking at a 70 yard TD against an all-pro CB. 
I was keeping that play to myself but yeah he ran right by the best CB in the NFL. 

He torched Jalen Ramsey in the 1st quarter, but Fitzpatrick underthrew it by 5-10 yards, and Williams had to stop and try to come back to it. A good throw, and we might be looking at a 70 yard TD against an all-pro CB. 
Which is a reason I'm not pushing to buy right now. His QBs aren't good. Rosen could be, and Fitz had moments, but he's unlikely to shine this year. Where I do have him he's got a firm place on my taxi squad. 

I do believe in the talent long term. Just not this year. 

was offered williams for a 2020 3rd. what am I missing? 
You're not missing anything since you bought him there.  His previous owner is missing that he's played more and more with starters as the preseason has worn on.  I don't expect the same stat line against starters than I do 3rd stringers, but that's just me.  The Unicorn is missing the highlight reel catches that the 1st preseason game had.  He's had his chances, and most missed opportunities are QB driven.  

He's still an UDFA and playing against starters is a good thing, he's secured roster spot to me easily, and has a chance at starter.  The question will be how quickly he can learn against starters AND be productive (if possible with that offense), rather than doing it against backups to their backups.  

Zyphros said:
You're not missing anything since you bought him there.  His previous owner is missing that he's played more and more with starters as the preseason has worn on.  I don't expect the same stat line against starters than I do 3rd stringers, but that's just me.  The Unicorn is missing the highlight reel catches that the 1st preseason game had.  He's had his chances, and most missed opportunities are QB driven.  

He's still an UDFA and playing against starters is a good thing, he's secured roster spot to me easily, and has a chance at starter.  The question will be how quickly he can learn against starters AND be productive (if possible with that offense), rather than doing it against backups to their backups.  
This is my stance as well

I like the title change 🦄 (with 3 little girls how can I not roster a guy nicknamed the unicorn?)

-OZ- said:
Which is a reason I'm not pushing to buy right now. His QBs aren't good. Rosen could be, and Fitz had moments, but he's unlikely to shine this year. Where I do have him he's got a firm place on my taxi squad. 

I do believe in the talent long term. Just not this year. 
I dont think the discussion was ever suggesting he would make a year 1 impact. he could very well be the best wr on the team, but talk initially was that he should make the roster, and then the long game was always the plan. He has out performed my expectations so far and I think he could push for some playing time year 1. 

Watching him in limited amounts, he doesnt look like a rookie. 

I'm very happy with my buy here and I'd buy him everywhere for a mid to low 2nd or lower 

If Fitz starts you guys might be surprised how fast this guy hits........

Last edited by a moderator:
If Fitz starts and you guys might be surprised how fast this guy hits........
I would feel better if Rosen started to be honest. Fitz has looked dreadful, including missing Preston on some throws last night. Rosen and Williams have had a connection since Rosen arrived there. Fitz may very well begin the season as the starter, but Rosen will be in there by Week 5.

Young player who has all of the tools to become an NFL #1 WR. Still learning his craft and can only get better. Plays for a team with unresolved questions at the quarterback position. Team will likely be playing from behind in the second half of a majority of their games leading to positive game script scenarios.

Anything else that I am missing?

Young player who has all of the tools to become an NFL #1 WR. Still learning his craft and can only get better. Plays for a team with unresolved questions at the quarterback position. Team will likely be playing from behind in the second half of a majority of their games leading to positive game script scenarios.

plays for a team that lacks play makers at the offensive skill positions

He was dropping catchable passes in the most recent game. So maybe he doesn't have all the tools.

If I saw correctly, he started the game with the starters.  On the 2nd play from scrimmage, they went 13 personnel and Williams was the only WR who stayed on the field.

I'm probably reading too much into that, but it has to be a good sign.

I think of Preston as the anti-Arcega-Whiteside.

Both are very talented, but Preston has a much clearer path to significant playing time given the competing talent. Yet he's also not nearly as polished as AW and has a significantly inferior QB situation.

So PPR dynasty leagues...you've got the Unicorn, Meyers, and McLaurin on the wire. Assuming you can only land one, who you taking, and how much BBID you spending? This is my dilemma in several dynasty leagues that waivers stay closed until a first "preseason" run next week. Every league I'm in Unicorn and Meyers are available, and a few have McLaurin too. You guys mind ranking this trio and sharing thoughts on what % you'd spend? Thanks in advance, its threads like these that really do make this place valuable. Last year I picked up Lindsay in all my leagues for the same reason. 

I would feel better if Rosen started to be honest. Fitz has looked dreadful, including missing Preston on some throws last night. Rosen and Williams have had a connection since Rosen arrived there. Fitz may very well begin the season as the starter, but Rosen will be in there by Week 5.
Rosen will play more conservative where as Fitz will take chances down the field. You want Miami down multiple scores with Fitz taking chances down the field to Preston Williams. 

He was dropping catchable passes in the most recent game. So maybe he doesn't have all the tools.
In game 2, he got clobbered on one catchable pass, one was just off his outstretched hands in the rain, and there was one clear drop. He's better and healthier than Parker. He gets open and creates space ala Michael Irvin with physicality.

Rosen will play more conservative where as Fitz will take chances down the field. You want Miami down multiple scores with Fitz taking chances down the field to Preston Williams. 
While 2018 would certainly make Rosen seem conservative, that was likely just a function of the offense. He was a downfield passer at UCLA, and has been this preseason. 

So PPR dynasty leagues...you've got the Unicorn, Meyers, and McLaurin on the wire. Assuming you can only land one, who you taking, and how much BBID you spending? This is my dilemma in several dynasty leagues that waivers stay closed until a first "preseason" run next week. Every league I'm in Unicorn and Meyers are available, and a few have McLaurin too. You guys mind ranking this trio and sharing thoughts on what % you'd spend? Thanks in advance, its threads like these that really do make this place valuable. Last year I picked up Lindsay in all my leagues for the same reason. 
<<<not a dynasty guy

But talent wise:

Unicorn

Meyers

McLaurin

Travis Wingfield @WingfieldNFL

Preston Williams smoked Jalen Ramsey and AJ Bouye on his two targets. Locked Ramsey’s hips and stacked hin after a clean release, then put Bouye in the spin cycle. If the QB hits him, he’s got 2 grabs for 80 yards and a TD against arguably the game’s best corner duo.

This is an example of what has me excited about this kid.  In the little bits I've been able to watch (pre-season games and practice highlights) he's got some serious route-running chops.  Combined with his size and athleticism there may just be real fire behind this smoke.

The box score yesterday looked awful.  But my (admittedly subjective) opinion from watching those routes is this kid is already legit and, if his head stays on straight, will only grow and improve.

I'm not sold on Meyers. All of his action came with Stidham. Hes behind Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett, and Harry due to draft capital. I'd rather buy later in the season when his owner drops him for someone else.

🦄 has an easier path toward starting and playing time. I'd put him well over the other two. 

McLaurin I'd probably have above Meyers but I dont like him either. 

As far as BB dollars... I have no idea... I put 15% on my first waiver run and missed. i believe he went for 25% a week after the NFL draft.  I would imagine he would go for more now

While 2018 would certainly make Rosen seem conservative, that was likely just a function of the offense. He was a downfield passer at UCLA, and has been this preseason. 
It's more about one not caring if he throws an interception and one being worried about it. Fitz and always have that gunslinger mentality. He knows he's not going to be in Miami next year. Rosen is more worried about making the right play. 

One will take chances constantly. The other will be more selective. 

Dynasty :

Unicorn

Meyers

McLaurin

In game 2, he got clobbered on one catchable pass, one was just off his outstretched hands in the rain, and there was one clear drop. He's better and healthier than Parker. He gets open and creates space ala Michael Irvin with physicality.
He did seem to be the primary WR.

He didnt catch any of his targets.

Rain? They have to catch the ball when its raining. Stop making excuses for the guy.

Seems like some feud going on between Stills and Coach Flores. Stills criticized Jay-Z for his partnership with the NFL, Flores responds by playing 8 straight Jay-Z songs at practice.

Times have sure changed.

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
I doubt if Stills gets cut this year. From Coach Flores:

"Quite honestly, they’re bringing attention to my story, so let’s talk about that,” Flores said. “I’m the son of immigrants, I’m black, I grew up poor. I grew up in New York during the stop and frisk era, so I’ve been stopped because I fit a description before. So everything these guys protest, I’ve lived it, I’ve experienced it. I applaud those guys who protest. Whether it’s [Colin] Kaepernick or Eric Reid or Kenny, I applaud those guys.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article234296342.html

Got him at 4.08 after passing on him last round for Diontae Johnson. 17 the WR off the board, and my 3rd WR of the draft. Very excited to see what this guy can become.

Yeah... you can't call out the owner and cost him millions in his business and stay on the team. That just doesn't happen. He's not getting moved for talent reasons at all. 
Stills is talented, but not that talented. He’s a straight-line burner deep threat and not much else. Now that he’s running his mouth he’s pretty expendable 

Drafted him in my dynasty league. He looks really good and I see a path to quick playing time on a bad team with a QB that likes to take chances. Good chance imo he hits early in the season. 

I've said this since January that he's the most talented WR in this class in my rankings thread.  

Preston Williams WR CSU 

Listed at 6'4" 210

Committed to Tennessee as a high school senior.  Transferred out basically a year later with a scholarship to CSU. 

Not invited to the combine due to some legal concerns in the past.  Here's an article shedding some light on that - https://www.denverpost.com/2019/01/31/preston-williams-csu-rams-nfl-combine-snub/

Pro day scheduled for March 7th from what I've found and it's 2 days away so I had to start a thread here.  

Highlight reel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mmUrpehhgA
I got to give you credit. If what Preston Williams has shown so far in the preseason is what we have to look forward to.......this is one of the best calls in FBG history. 

The last couple of preseason games must have really calmed the hype. Not sure why he would be going past the 3rd round at this point. 
I took him last pick in the 1st round. I know I could have gotten him later probably but the longer I wait the more chance someone grabbed him and I've seen enough I didn't want to risk it.

He showed me just as much talent the last 2 games as he did the first game. 

Now I'm hoping for a couple things to happen to get this train started quicker. 

A) They release/Trade Stills 

B) They release/trade Parker

C) Fitz wins the starting job

I got to give you credit. If what Preston Williams has shown so far in the preseason is what we have to look forward to.......this is one of the best calls in FBG history. 

I agree, @Zyphros could have made the call of the decade here. Got him on my radar early. 
He still has to pan out, and there's a very real possibility the Dolphins aren't good for the next 4-5 years and he's never going to do anything because the team is garbage. 

He’s still a tough hold in redraft but dude has mad skills. A lot of times these 5-star recruits who got off the linear path never work out, but I’m hoping this guy is the exception.

Horrible cast around him but he’s by far the best WR on their roster IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread