What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Preston Williams, MIA (2 Viewers)

Guys,

I screwed up and admitted it. Let's keep this on Preston and move on.

Once again, my apologies.

Fin
It's totally fine, mostly my fault actually in hindsight. 

I love what Howard is saying.  This is not the first time Preston has had a glowing review from Howard, and I don't think I've ever seen Howard touting any other player the way he is Williams. 

Williams actually working against Howard in practice, and holding his own, has to be incredibly encouraging. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just trying to figure out who on Miami is better than this kid? Why do we not want the 6ft 4 kid in 2WR sets? Maybe we throw it deep and he makes a few game changing plays for us. Especially if you think you can develop a 2 headed rushing attack behind Drake and Ballage.

Play-action. Stills on one side and Williams on the other. Let Parker play in the slot and catch a bunch of meaningless passes to justify his contract. Anybody can play in the slot, imo. 5 yard out and out of bounds. 😂

I'm just trying to figure out who on Miami is better than this kid? Why do we not want the 6ft 4 kid in 2WR sets? Maybe we throw it deep and he makes a few game changing plays for us. Especially if you think you can develop a 2 headed rushing attack behind Drake and Ballage.

Play-action. Stills on one side and Williams on the other. Let Parker play in the slot and catch a bunch of meaningless passes to justify his contract. Anybody can play in the slot, imo. 5 yard out and out of bounds. 😂
To answer your question, NOBODY. The bigger issue this year as always is a Mountain West OL at best :no:

Another one who is thankful for this thread, took him quite high actually in my early June dynasty rookie draft, in the 3rd-early 4th round I think it was. Team is strong at QB, RB but perhaps missing a WR1 to really contend. For the price,  Williams represented a good value talented dart throw who with a little luck, could turn out to be a valuable addition to a WR corps

“I think he’s worked extremely hard really since he got here,” Flores told the Miami media following the game. “He’s big, he’s fast, he’s got good hands, he’s tough, and he’s really worked every day to get better. We tell him to block in the run game, and he blocks in the run game; play more downhill on your end cuts, he does that. He works hard after practice; he works hard in meetings.”  

"He played tough, he played physical, he blocked in the run game," Flores said. "He wanted to make his presence felt obviously from a receiving standpoint, but really in all phases.

"But one good game doesn't make you a superstar. This league is all about consistency. I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves with Preston. He's got a long way to go."

I like what Flo is saying about him.  

Travis Wingfield  @wingfieldNFL

Absurd stat comparison completely neglecting sample size incoming....

Preston Williams' 96 yards came on 23 routes ran (4.17 yards per RR).

Julio Jones and Mike Thomas were tops in football last year with marks UNDER 3.00 YPRR.

PW was utterly dominant in his debut.

Looks like he's worth more than a 2020 3rd right now based on what in seeing in my leagues - mostly 12 tm superflex start 10 to 12 without defense or kickers. 

All these clips of him gaining separation and catching good balls is nice, but I have yet to see him really be bursty and explosive.  He might be more similar to Harry than I initially thought.  

All these clips of him gaining separation and catching good balls is nice, but I have yet to see him really be bursty and explosive.  He might be more similar to Harry than I initially thought.  
I don’t think that is his game. He appears to use his size and position really well when the ball is in the air. He reminds me of Brandon Marshall a bit due to his violent movements after he catches the ball and the way he attacks it. I actually think he has better jump ball upside compared to Marshall as well.

I don’t think that is his game. He appears to use his size and position really well when the ball is in the air. He reminds me of Brandon Marshall a bit due to his violent movements after he catches the ball and the way he attacks it. I actually think he has better jump ball upside compared to Marshall as well.
It isn't his game, but I'd like to see it evolve into that if possible.  Allows more versatility IMO, and it doesn't hurt.  He's quick footed already, just slow through breaks which I'd like to see cleaned up but he still separates.  If he adds some explosiveness through that, look out.  He's a very technical WR though, and that allows him to beat bad CB's, he'll need more tools in his bag against top CB's in the future.

Preston getting some work with Rosen right now.  Defense has Rosen dead to rights and is panic throwing, Preston makes a diving catch to bail him out.  

Almost had a TD but drew PI, Atlanta holding him on every play hes been in that I have seen. Good start :thumbup:

A one-handed catch and great sideline tiptoe catch.  Parker never looked this good.

4 for 97, plus a PI in the end zone, a toe tapping sideline catch, a one handed grab, a diving grab...did I miss anything?

Used his 6'5" height on that last 27 yard catch beating double-coverage.
Finally got around to watching this game today. Trying to temper my enthusiasm; former 5-star recruit going against backups is like dunking on 8th graders. But man can this kid ball!

I only play redraft so probably won’t spend more than a late round flyer on him. Would love it if the Dolphins would stop showcasing him in PS, though. 

So much to like about him - not great speed but precise route runner, he just doesn’t run like a lot of 6’4” WRs, very smooth. Pulls the ball down well, great body control and sideline footwork. If not for the DV incident & average workout metrics at his pro day, could have been a second rounder.

AJ Green is an extreme comp until he proves it in the regular season, but if this guy handles himself well off the field he will be in the league a long time.

He went undrafted in my June rookie draft. We lock FA after the draft and open it up first week of the season. Debating how much I should bid for him.

For a different league, we start our rookie draft after 3rd week of preason. I think I'll have to spend 2.05 if I want to get him.

He reminds me of a young Hopkins actually. I want to see him against 1st stringers but that 1st week was impressive. If he does well against the 1st stringers you have to move him up the draft board significantly. 

Great opportunity in Miami as well. They should be behind all the time and they don't have a #1 WR. 

Some Dolphins pass-catchers show significant improvement, but there is a notable exception

Excerpt:

Rookie Preston Williams had another good week of practice and mid-week began to field punts, with the likes of Jakeem Grant and Kenyan Drake nursing injuries. Williams fielded the punts with no lingering issues and could get a chance to field some in Friday night’s preseason game against Tampa Bay.

He fielded punts in college and high school.

As to his receiver duties, Williams started to see some repetitions with starters, and although that might have something to do with the fact Grant, DeVante Parker and Albert Wilson are injured or being held out of team drills, it gave Williams a chance to show he can compete against better competition.

And there were no issues there, although Williams obviously needs to keep improving his route-running and technique. Williams is clearly the most impressive rookie of camp so far, and he’s not shy about his ability.

“I’m just going to continue to make plays,” he said.

Williams also loves that Dolphins fans have adopted him and are now following his progress. Does he feel your attention is warranted?

“I think so, I think so,” he said.

Why?

“If you make plays, people notice,” he answered.

Really, really liking this guy.

Hah don’t know if I can’t remember any 6’4 guys fielding punts regularly. Dez did it in the beginning of his career but he’s only 6’2.

I agree with @Milkman above, this is a fine spot. He only needs to beat out the less than reliable Parker to be the top big wr. Stills is a deep threat and the other two guys are small speed guys. He could work his way into significant snaps fairly quickly. Fitz will sling it and Rosen seems to have an eye for him. And next year could get and enormous qb upgrade with Tua.

I remember when Allen Hurns came out of nowhere a few years back and made the most of his opportunity. I see Preston in a similar situation and I believe after he gets one big game during the regular season, he'll be off and running.

I was impressed with that game tape. Not sure anybody could watch that and not be impressed. I need to see more but he made a big jump in my rookie rankings. He's firmly in my top 25 now. 

Has he moved in your rankings at all?  I know you had him high to begin with, curious if he's gone even higher or you have him about the same.
I haven't adjusted mine since most of my drafts are mid July, but I had him at 18 overall at the time.  I'd probably move him top12 by now though.  

Who cares about any Miami wr?  Are they draft material?  
I only play dynasty so I was referring to rookie pick value, but Preston Williams is a good name to know for sure.  Even more so if they solve the QB problem next year in what appears to be a good draft for QB talent.  Or if you believe in Rosen then it's not a bad investment into skill position players that will grow into what could be a surprise team in 2020 with some solid pieces forming now.  

If you're talking redraft, I say no, none are draft worthy in the top10 rounds though.  

Users who are viewing this thread