What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Treylon Burks, TEN (1 Viewer)

I think he's an interesting buy low at this point.

Season was a mess due to injuries--both his own and the QB position.
Nothing shinier than a rookie the year you draft them. Season ends and the shine is off the diamond. I'm going to send out some feelers.
I've offered 1.12 + another piece in almost every variation I can think of to the Burks owner for him and he absolutely won't budge unless I include another first. Good luck on those feelers and let me know what you get him for if you do make it work.

I don't see any informed dynasty owner willing to discount him in trade, yes he had injuries and the QB play was poor, but he flashed enough to show he's legit. He's an easy hold IMO.

Nothing shinier than a rookie the year you draft them. Season ends and the shine is off the diamond. I'm going to send out some feelers.
I've offered 1.12 + another piece in almost every variation I can think of to the Burks owner for him and he absolutely won't budge unless I include another first. Good luck on those feelers and let me know what you get him for if you do make it work.

No way I am giving up two #1's for Burks...he is still a question mark and if you are giving up that much I am aiming much higher...he has a ton of upside but that was one rocky rookie year and if the Titans move on from Tannehill God knows who will be throwing to him...the Titans appear to be a team in transition and I would not be in a big rush to give up a lot for one of their WRs.

Last edited:

Do the frequent injuries concern you?

Do the frequent injuries concern you?
Nah.

From what I can find, he had an early ankle injury, turf toe, and a concussion.
Nothing degenerative.

Traded him for a single 2024 first this week. He was my WR4/5

Bought after his early injuries last year for Alec Pierce and Tyler allgeier

I'd love to buy for a single 2024 1st (unless it looked like a pretty good shot at 1.01/ MHJ). I though Burks looked as good as you could hope when on the field with a QB that wasn't really a RB. Now he's in line for a ton of work. As long as he stays on the field he seems like a shoo-in for a breakout.

Such a big ask to beat the NFLs top CBs as a rookie and now after an injury filled season. The opportunity is there for FF but it's a difficult one

Burks is near the top of the list of players that other owners seem to want to come after. I get regular low offers for him.
I think that's a smart play. He's 100% a guy I'm going to target.

In general, rookies that underperform are valued less than they were a year ago. The shine is off the diamond. They're easier to buy.

Titans.com's Jim Wyatt reports second-year WR Treylon Burks has been QB Ryan Tannehill's "favorite target" at OTAs.

"It seems like Tannehill connects with Burks at the start of every period, and I haven't seen Burks drop a ball intended for him yet in the open OTAs," Wyatt wrote. Burks got off to a slow start as a rookie, sitting out practices due to conditioning and missing four of Tennessee's first eight games to injury. With Robert Woods gone and the Titans only adding seven-round WR Colton Dowell, Burks projects for a Year 2 leap.
SOURCE: tennesseetitans.com
Jun 3, 2023, 11:34 AM ET

Burks' improvement highlighting Titans' offseason

It’s June, these are non-contact drills and even training camp is still several weeks away.

Those should be the cautionary words lodged in the minds of Titans fans as they soak in the offseason workout reports concerning wide receiver Treylon Burks.

Still, it’s intriguing to see him making plays on the practice field and earning non-stop praise — from coaches to teammates — for development heading into Burks’ second season.

“He’s done a great job,” Titans wide receiver coach Rob Moore said when asked about Burks’ progress. “He’s done everything we’ve asked him to do. He’s in great shape. Mentally, he’s ahead of the game. Honestly, he’s been a different player. So I’m extremely happy with where he’s at.”

It was just about a year ago that Moore was left trying to explain the extremely slow start to Burks’ initial offseason, one in which he was absent from the field more often than on it — due to a combination of poor conditioning and asthma.

That was the prelude to a so-so rookie season for the 2022 first-round draft pick, a year in which Burks — who missed a combined six games because of turf toe and a concussion — was limited to 33 catches for 444 yards and a touchdown.

Instead of sulking his way toward a second season, Burks took the opposite approach, choosing to spend as much time at the Titans facility as possible. His desire was perhaps best displayed a couple of weeks ago, when Burks’ return commercial flight from a weekend in Arkansas was delayed — and not a single rental car was available. Determined not to miss an OTA session, Burks wound up getting to Nashville on a crack-of-dawn, private-pilot flown Cessna airplane, per paulkuharsky.com.

“That kind of speaks to his commitment,” Moore said. “That’s something that’s showed up since we’ve started. All I can tell you is I’m extremely happy with where he’s at right now.”

Moore isn’t the only one who sounds excited about what’s going on with Burks.

Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who’d love to turn the 6-2, 225-pound Burks into a prime target in 2023, lavished praise on the 23-year-old following a recent OTA session.

It wasn’t simply Burks’ physical assets that impressed Tannehill, but also the young receiver’s increased ability to understand his role in the overall Titans passing scheme.

“Treylon’s grown a lot,” Tannehill said. “I’m really excited about what I’ve seen from him. He’s flying around, he’s moving fast, he’s moving efficiently. He’s coming out, he’s working, he’s in shape. All great things, obviously.

“He’s been able to catch the ball and get open his whole time here. But all the little things that go along with playing the position — being able to see the field, understand the full concept, as opposed to just a route, how he fits in the whole picture, all those things ... I think he’s playing with a lot of confidence right now. So I just want to keep him going, keep him growing. He’s doing a lot of really, really good things.”

Keep in mind that Burks is learning his second offensive scheme in as many years, as Tim Kelly has replaced Todd Downing as the team’s offensive coordinator.

But the sense so far is that Kelly’s up-tempo, more streamlined and less wordy playbook should allow Burks to be less of a thinker and more of a player.

“Ultimately we want to see Treylon out there playing fast,” Kelly said. “Again, I know kind of the theme has been the tempo and all that, but [we want him] being able to go out there and play fast, and again, eliminate the thinking and let him go and do what he does best — be big, be strong, play strong with the ball in his hands, go be physical — and he’s done a great job of that.”

So what kind of expectations should we have for Burks in his second season?

Staying on the conservative side, if Burks were to play 15 games (nearly every player misses a game or two to injury) and improve his average receptions per game just a touch — from three last year to four this year — he’d hit the 60-catch mark.

And if he managed to maintain his average from last year (13.5 yards per catch), Burks would top the 800-yard mark, nearly doubling his rookie total of 2022.

It’s easy to wonder if there’s even more of a second-year ceiling for Burks. But let’s remember that defenses will be blanketing him in coverage, and that the Titans’ offensive line — very bad last year — is still suspect until proven otherwise. So there are some factors out of Burks’ control that might limit his growth.

Still, the thought that Burks might be far closer to reaching his first-rounder potential than he did as a rookie last year has to be encouraging for a thirsty Titans fan base.

Even if this is still June ... and these are still non-contact drills ... and we’re still weeks away from training camp.

He's beating second string DBs in shorts. Most starters weren't present.
He looks great in highlights shared and has literally done everything the right way.
Odd to think any less than 1000 yards. 66 per game in a sixteen game season and now there's seventeen.
He will be shut down by some top corners and burn some top corners for a play here n there. He's not elite and has steps to do in his development.
He takes wayyy big hits. Non Titans fans probably don't see it but, oof does he. Knock him out and you get a W? Tannehill leads him into a hit? Idk the reason but he really does take a lot of shots.
Injured a few games and 800 yards? Maybe but there's as much buzz about him as any WR

The big thing for me (and again this is in shorts) is he lit up the second string. The starters have returned and he is still lighting up the DBs. I needed that and eh the Titans did.
I expect camp to be more. Fulton and Byard to test him and push him etc.

This is exactly what we want from a 2nd year WR.

Still has to do it in games!

Maybe with Davis and AJB the Titans finally figured out how to develop WRs

ESPN’s Turron Davenport reports Treylon Burks is “playing at a different speed” in offseason workouts and practices.
Burks, per Davenport, is sporting a “noticeably leaner build” this offseason. Davenport said Ryan Tannehill, the Titans’ presumed Week 1 starter, “has faith to throw Burks’ way regardless of whether he is wide open or in tight coverage.” After posting a 33/441/1 receiving line in an uneven rookie campaign, Burks could be primed to break out in his sophomore season as Tennessee’s unquestioned No. 1 wideout. He could be a valuable WR2/3 option for fantasy drafters who go running back heavy in the early rounds this summer.

Cautiously optimistic. I have him in dynasty, not sure he's worth a 'keep'.
I put him in the 'maybe they breakout this year' group, along with Dotson, George Pickens, etc.
Burks is a beast but even if healthy, even if he plays 17 games - who the hell is throwing to him? Tannehill? he's toast. And if Tannehill is good this season, Vrabel doesn't allow for passing as much as running with Henry. so, the best case scenario doesn't put Burks over the top for me. The volume just isn't there. This is a mediocre team that relies on Henry and the defense. Can't see enough of an uptick in passing stats to warrant selecting Burks as anything but a late round flyer. I'll play the hype card and try to trade him before the season starts.

I put him in the 'maybe they breakout this year' group, along with Dotson, George Pickens, etc.
Burks is a beast but even if healthy, even if he plays 17 games - who the hell is throwing to him? Tannehill? he's toast. And if Tannehill is good this season, Vrabel doesn't allow for passing as much as running with Henry. so, the best case scenario doesn't put Burks over the top for me. The volume just isn't there. This is a mediocre team that relies on Henry and the defense. Can't see enough of an uptick in passing stats to warrant selecting Burks as anything but a late round flyer. I'll play the hype card and try to trade him before the season starts.
Even the most conservative NFL teams throw the ball 370+ times. Burks does have the fact that there is very little target competition. Even their RB isn't much of a receiving threat. He could see a pretty crazy target share. He's not going to be a top 20WR but he could fit into the useful WR3 category which would be a nice step forward as a 2nd year player.

Even the most conservative NFL teams throw the ball 370+ times. Burks does have the fact that there is very little target competition. Even their RB isn't much of a receiving threat. He could see a pretty crazy target share. He's not going to be a top 20WR but he could fit into the useful WR3 category which would be a nice step forward as a 2nd year player.
Yeah. I think he's going to get so much volume by default. And I think he's physically very talented.

Last year had some speed bumps, but he's primed for a productive fantasy season. He's cheap, should hit as a WR3, may sneak into WR2 territory.

Was talking to a solid fellow FF enthusiast buddy in the Twittersphere about him and he said he was worried about Hopkins ending up there. In terms of 2023 outlook anyway. In his mind it was a foregone conclusion that he ends up there. I suppose I would be worried about Burks for 2023 if Nuk goes there. I haven't really followed the Nuk saga much.

Pats still making a push for him too. I'm worried about Hopkins going to Tennessee as well because I'm trying to trade for Burks on the idea that he's the #1,

Pats still making a push for him too. I'm worried about Hopkins going to Tennessee as well because I'm trying to trade for Burks on the idea that he's the #1,

Dynasty wise, if Hopkins goes there, it's the time to buy.

Hopkins is already 31. He might still be really good this season, but I don't have high hopes for 2024 and beyond.

Would think Burks is still set up really well for the future.

I got no idea where Hopkins will end up only it will be whoever is paying him the most money.

When the Titans flew him in for a visit they flew him in on Southwest Airlines. That's not a team about to get into a bidding war. NE is not either so again no idea where he goes but I would strongly refute any notion where he's going is any kind of a done deal.

I got no idea where Hopkins will end up only it will be whoever is paying him the most money.

When the Titans flew him in for a visit they flew him in on Southwest Airlines. That's not a team about to get into a bidding war. NE is not either so again no idea where he goes but I would strongly refute any notion where he's going is any kind of a done deal.
That stuff is all psychological negotiation stuff.
I always disagree with much of it but...

I think average airline picked up by a luxurious ride is supposed to portray a better experience in Nashville or somesuch.

I was reading how much thought they put into meals offered and...oof it's so much

@jm192 Can he handle high volume?
I couldn't be more comfortable with him as an NFL #2 role.
Defenses gameplan to shutdown Jefferson and Davante etc and those alphas find a way to succeed anyway. I'm not at all comfortable with Burks in that spot.
Now if I'm a DC, I'm doing that on passing downs and forcing the Titans to throw elsewhere or force it to Burks and betting on an incompletion or INT.

I think Phillips is a huge deal in evaluating Burks l. If you've got him as Welker II then Burks has pressure off him some. If not, then I really question if Burks will meet anyone's high projections.

Chig seems too predictable as a TE that can't block. He's a freak some, so he'll win some even though the D knows it's coming but without some genius OC, I'm not sure he effects a D so much that Burks benefits. I figure they just plan this guy covers him in this spot and go from there.

Downing was fired largely for being so predictable and knowing Kelly's offense in HOU, I'm not so sure they have changed from being super predictable.

lol ok that is pretty funny and I have to agree

Defenses gameplan to shutdown Jefferson and Davante etc and those alphas find a way to succeed anyway. I'm not at all comfortable with Burks in that spot.
Now if I'm a DC, I'm doing that on passing downs and forcing the Titans to throw elsewhere or force it to Burks and betting on an incompletion or INT.

I think Phillips is a huge deal in evaluating Burks l. If you've got him as Welker II then Burks has pressure off him some. If not, then I really question if Burks will meet anyone's high projections.

Chig seems too predictable as a TE that can't block. He's a freak some, so he'll win some even though the D knows it's coming but without some genius OC, I'm not sure he effects a D so much that Burks benefits. I figure they just plan this guy covers him in this spot and go from there.

Downing was fired largely for being so predictable and knowing Kelly's offense in HOU, I'm not so sure they have changed from being super predictable.
I can't help but think that everything is still predicated on Henry and the running game being successful. If it is then I would think the passing game is ripe for high quality targets because defenses will have to have 8 up front a lot of the time. If it isn't successful they're in trouble regardless.

Reactions: Bri

The Titans are sending the message they think he can be the guy.

They basically traded AJ Brown for him. Brown just had a monster season and Super Bowl run. I'm sure they want Burks to be a big part of the offense sooner than later.

I can see your argument that DC's can just take away Burks. But if I'm playing the Titans, I'm playing every pass catcher 1 on 1 and trying to take away the run game. Maybe he sees some double teams. But I think he's in a spot to see 100+ Targets this season.

Reactions: Bri
Thoughts on Burks with the rumor now that the Titans jumped from +500 to -300 as the betting favorites to sign Hopkins?

Does it help Burks as Hopkins takes away the defense's attention or is it a monstrous hit to Burks' volume and the breakout campaign has to wait?

Thoughts on Burks with the rumor now that the Titans jumped from +500 to -300 as the betting favorites to sign Hopkins?

Does it help Burks as Hopkins takes away the defense's attention or is it a monstrous hit to Burks' volume and the breakout campaign has to wait?
IMO. Look at AJ Browns best seasons with the Titans. Burks is not anywhere near AJ Brown as far as talent. If Hopkins signs with TEN Burks is a WR3-4 at best.

It helps, in my opinion, at least in terms of the quality of targets. Volume is going to be tough to believe in but "talent v situation" seems like a coinflip here at ADP (for Burks). I still say the OL and the success of Henry will be the determining factor. Nuk getting attention only helps the offense.

Since Hopkins is taking over the WR1 - is anyone still taking a shot on this guy? I can name 10 WR2 better without doing any research...

Since Hopkins is taking over the WR1 - is anyone still taking a shot on this guy? I can name 10 WR2 better without doing any research...
Certainly still worth taking, just more as a depth option than somebody you'd be counting on. I'd be ok with Burks as a WR4/5.

He certainly doesn't have the stats to justify his ADP.
That said, everyone loved his potential last summer and that hasn't seemed to fade much. Apparently he showed enough to keep that hype.
The time is probably now to draft him, before he gets an adjusted ADP, see if he falls to where you're comfy.

Don't forget he's got some Deebo running ability. While I think this would at most be like five runs and inconsequential, the casual fan will probably use this as a reason to not let his ADP fall too much

50% of the games Tannehill played last year he threw for under 200 yards. If Henry and Hopkins stay healthy there is not a lot to be excited for in regard to Burks. Hop, Chig, Burks, and Phillips sharing a small piece of pie.

50% of the games Tannehill played last year he threw for under 200 yards. If Henry and Hopkins stay healthy there is not a lot to be excited for in regard to Burks. Hop, Chig, Burks, and Phillips sharing a small piece of pie.
I'd guess that ratio is higher in games Burks played with Tannehill. Robert woods was completely washed last year, and their passing game only really had life when Burks was in and getting snaps with Tannehill. The quality of WRs plays a big part in how much and how effectively teams pass.

I think Tenn makes more of an effort to throw this year - this may not be a bad thing for Burks as now the D can focus on Hopkins. Hoping his ADP slips with this news and he can be had on a discount. Still lots of upside IMO

Users who are viewing this thread