What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Troy Franklin, DEN (1 Viewer)

Benjamin Allbright
It will say, WR Troy Franklin had a good day today.Probably his best day of camp.

Hadn't been the best camp so far for the rookie who is probably behind Vele, the other rookie WR drafted after him

Zac Stevens
Zach Wilson had a great deep ball to Troy Franklin that would have been a 45-yard touchdown during 7on7s. But the ball went through Franklin’s hands

@MetalRisesAgain
Seems like Troy’s having a lot of drops in camp…

@AllbrightNFL fair to say?

Benjamin Allbright
Yeah i've been talking about that for a while.

Troy Franklin is unlikely to be a factor at all this year without significant quick development.

He's well behind the other rookie (Vele) in my opinion.

He's worth a few shares in bestball. He's not going to catch zero bomb TDs and he'll have the luxury of playing with his college QB who may or may not show some bias with targets.

I think Torrey Smith is a good comparison. He'll go off for 4 / 108 / 2TD against tin cans and then disappear against better defenses.

He's a one trick pony, but it's a pretty good trick.

He's worth a few shares in bestball. He's not going to catch zero bomb TDs and he'll have the luxury of playing with his college QB who may or may not show some bias with targets.

I think Torrey Smith is a good comparison. He'll go off for 4 / 108 / 2TD against tin cans and then disappear against better defenses.

Struggling in camp and been out-performed by Vele according to most.

I just came in here to say that every time I see this guy's name, I read it as Tony. Like I literally read Tony Franklin (I thought he was the K's grandkid or something up until he got drafted). I almost came in here to correct the thread title once.

Very weird mind quirk. :loco:

Struggling in camp and been out-performed by Vele according to most.
local radio is wondering if he'll even make the team.

I just came in here to say that every time I see this guy's name, I read it as Tony. Like I literally read Tony Franklin (I thought he was the K's grandkid or something up until he got drafted). I almost came in here to correct the thread title once.

Very weird mind quirk. :loco:
Someone said the same thing at my draft last week (Philly area).

@32BeatWriters
“Despite having a quiet training camp amidst reports of struggles, the team is invested in Troy Franklin’s continued development, and they are in a position where they don’t need him to be a number one, two, or three right away as a rookie. He’ll likely redshirt or play some special teams.”

He made the team. His college QB is his pro QB. Broncos have an O/U of 5.5 wins. As previously mentioned, I don't see why he wouldn't draw a decent amount of deep targets to be a good best ball pick. Broncos traded up to get him. I still believe in the talent, plenty of good talent has come out of the 4th Round.

It just might take a little longer with this guy, but I'm not giving up yet. He's on the team, not the practice squad, the real team.

He made the team. His college QB is his pro QB. Broncos have an O/U of 5.5 wins. As previously mentioned, I don't see why he wouldn't draw a decent amount of deep targets to be a good best ball pick. Broncos traded up to get him. I still believe in the talent, plenty of good talent has come out of the 4th Round.

It just might take a little longer with this guy, but I'm not giving up yet. He's on the team, not the practice squad, the real team.

the only reason Denver didn't try to put him on the PS is because of his draft capital and because of his draft capital, other teams would grab him.

if he was a 7th round pick, he would've been cut.

Potential is a four-letter word.

at this point, he's a hold in dynasty

Vele outplayed him throughout camp and is probably the reason they let Tim Patrick walk. They called him “one a day Vele” because he made a big play everyday.

Payton today...

"He's playing Z and, look, I like where's he's at relative to his progress, and I like the selection, especially where we were able to draft him. He has rare speed, and then he's very comfortable catching an in-route and, all of a sudden, taking it for a big gain.

But yeah, is there a development to, any of these rookies? Absolutely. Working on his lower body strength, getting stronger there. He's smart. He picks things up. There's good questions [he asks].

So yeah, I'm excited about him."

Payton Presser 15:56 mark

Broncos rookie WR Troy Franklin said he will be active Sunday against the Steelers with Devaughn Vele (ribs) injured. Franklin was inactive in Week 1 at Seattle.

Sure, I'll drop Vele for Franklin. Why the hell not? Maybe they'll give Franklin 8 targets this week.

Is he going to be their WR2 or what's the deal? This guy is very fast, they'll give him a jet sweep or two.

Broncos rookie WR Troy Franklin said he will be active Sunday against the Steelers with Devaughn Vele (ribs) injured. Franklin was inactive in Week 1 at Seattle.

Sure, I'll drop Vele for Franklin. Why the hell not? Maybe they'll give Franklin 8 targets this week.

Is he going to be their WR2 or what's the deal? This guy is very fast, they'll give him a jet sweep or two.
IMO it's highly doubtful Franklin will either run as WR2 or come close to replacing Vele's target quantity. Like you say, Franklin is a speed guy and from all accounts struggled during training camp. But if he hits, he will hit big either run or pass.

This should be the pecking order for Week 2:

WR1 - Sutton
WR2 - Reynolds
WR3 - Mims (also a "speed" guy but seriously underutilized in Wk1 w/ only 17% snap count. would expect this to at least double or Payton will hear it big time)
WR4/5 - Humphrey/Franklin(home run threat)

If Broncos can somehow contain TJ Watt, then they will likely look to stretch the field this week. Last week was flabbergasting w/ the dink and dunk.

I thought the guys saying they took him in best ball were insane, but maybe he catches a bomb or two before Vele recovers.

why is he even active on game day?
He got two targets, one of which he secured.

That's why

he was horrible in camp

he has five catches on 12 targets with multiple drops

as a fan, I'm impressed with HC's patience, but also frustrated. I'm looking forward to Vele being healthy and making this guy inactive
Vele and Franklin are completely different players.

On the play where Franklin couldn't haul it in, Mims was open earlier over the middle with room to roam but Nix missed him. Having two speed guys like Franklin and Mims stretches the field and gives Payton playbook options he wouldn't otherwise have.

Vele is good, but doesn't bring anything much different than Sutton or LJ Humphrey. And LJ has earned his place with some spectacular YAC.

Last edited:

That's why

he was horrible in camp

as a fan, I'm impressed with HC's patience, but also frustrated. I'm looking forward to Vele being healthy and making this guy inactive

On the play where Franklin couldn't haul it in, Mims was open earlier over the middle with room to roam but Nix missed him. Having two speed guys like Franklin and Mims stretches the field and gives Payton playbook options he wouldn't otherwise have.

Vele is good, but doesn't bring anything much different than Sutton or LJ Humphrey. And LJ has earned his place with some spectacular YAC.
Ok, but that doesn't change the fact that Franklin stinks

That's why

he was horrible in camp

How soon is appropriate to say a rookie stinks?

That's why

he was horrible in camp

How soon is appropriate to say a rookie stinks?
Davante Adams wasn't very good his rookie season.

Reactions: Bri

That's why

he was horrible in camp

Vele has been a healthy scratch for weeks.
incorrect. local radio says otherwise.

That's why

he was horrible in camp

Which local radio source?

Because according to the Broncos official injury report, Vele has practiced in full the last 2.5 weeks. He hasn't appeared since Wednesday of Week 3 (LP).

And according to NFL rules, all players who have notable injuries must appear on the injury report, even if they take full reps.

Don't understand people being disappointed in his first 1/3 of a season. Whether dynasty (still a fine dart throw for the future, getting a few targets a game) or redraft (why would you even draft him?), he seems right on schedule for a deep prospect.

That's why

he was horrible in camp

I've picked this guy up and dropped him like five times. There's one questionable source out there and the rest say the same- healthy scratch.
I probably share your frustration. There's absolutely no benefit to the Broncos hiding an injury.
The guy hurt his ribs.
There's only 12-14 full contact practices in a season.
Me sitting on my couch not seeing a single practice or talking to a soul guess- Maybe he's got a little shyness around contact. That's about the only way I can imagine a healed injury being still an issue.

Payton's love for lil Jordan has confused and frustrated Saints and now Broncos fans. I think he's mixed in here somehow.

Ultimately I'm umm I'm wasting too much time on this and I just grab someone else.

When Vele plays, if he gets seven or eight targets again, I'll be on the bus but I am not wasting another second trying to figure out what's up with a depth WR on a bad team

That's why

he was horrible in camp

Because according to the Broncos official injury report, Vele has practiced in full the last 2.5 weeks. He hasn't appeared since Wednesday of Week 3 (LP).

And according to NFL rules, all players who have notable injuries must appear on the injury report, even if they take full reps.

both FM stations have commented they're looking forward to him being able to return, neither elaborated on whether it's still his ribs or something else, but he's not a "healthy" inactive. I think it was on 92.5 afternoon show with nate and andy and 104.3 morning show with evans and stink (I'm not sure if stokley was on the broadcast when it was mentioned)

i like, in very small doses the 92.5 morning show, but those guys go off on some of the dumbest tangents and break my brain. I'm not a fan of 104.3, but their morning show is better. Something happened to Zach when he was promoted over DMac's firing and I can't deal with him any more,

Don't understand people being disappointed in his first 1/3 of a season. Whether dynasty (still a fine dart throw for the future, getting a few targets a game) or redraft (why would you even draft him?), he seems right on schedule for a deep prospect.
because he had a very disappointing training camp and preseason.

(I'm commenting as a fan of the team, not for FF purposes)

There were 9 WR's taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the 2024 NFL draft.

The only one in that group who currently has more recpts than Franklin (5) is Luke McCaffrey (10).

3rd
Malachi Corley (1)
Jermaine Burton (1)
Roman Wilson (0)
Jalen McMillan (3)
Luke McCaffrey (10)

4th
Troy Franklin (5)
Javon Baker (0)
Devontez Walker (0)
Jacob Cowing (0)

Payton's love for lil Jordan has confused and frustrated Saints and now Broncos fans. I think he's mixed in here somehow.

Ultimately I'm umm I'm wasting too much time on this and I just grab someone else.

When Vele plays, if he gets seven or eight targets again, I'll be on the bus but I am not wasting another second trying to figure out what's up with a depth WR on a bad team
I guess I should specify when I'm commenting as a fan (because I can go overboard) and when I'm commenting for FF.

I'm not positive Vele will ever be a significant FF player. I just really like the dude. Reminds me of Tim Patrick (I hope he has great success in DET)

I think Humphrey is a woobie (as Stink likes to say)... seems like most HCs have a security blanket player that would follow them from team to team. I'm guessing he's great in the locker and class rooms. Probably can explain the offense to other players in a way that connects that the coaches can't seem to. My guess is that Humphrey will be a WR coach shortly after he retires.

Reactions: Bri
Something happened to Zach when he was promoted over DMac's firing and I can't deal with him any more

just in case Cecil sees this... I'm very happy you're on the air regularly now with your mid-day show. Josh seems like a great partner. You two are now my favorite show on local radio.

The only one in that group who currently has more recpts than Franklin (5) is Luke McCaffrey (10).

3rd
Malachi Corley (1)
Jermaine Burton (1)
Roman Wilson (0)
Jalen McMillan (3)
Luke McCaffrey (10)

4th
Troy Franklin (5)
Javon Baker (0)
Devontez Walker (0)
Jacob Cowing (0)
Five catches in five games is not a supportive stat. Neither is adding when he was inactive to this.
I see injuries in the list.
I'd just discard this stat, man.

Not sure which Broncos fans you're talking about but they must not be very well informed, because LJ Humphrey is an absolute monster after the catch.

That's why

he was horrible in camp

both FM stations have commented they're looking forward to him being able to return, neither elaborated on whether it's still his ribs or something else, but he's not a "healthy" inactive. I think it was on 92.5 afternoon show with nate and andy and 104.3 morning show with evans and stink (I'm not sure if stokley was on the broadcast when it was mentioned)

i like, in very small doses the 92.5 morning show, but those guys go off on some of the dumbest tangents and break my brain. I'm not a fan of 104.3, but their morning show is better. Something happened to Zach when he was promoted over DMac's firing and I can't deal with him any more,
You can keep saying he's not a "healthy" inactive until you're blue in the face, but he was inactive without an injury designation for at the very least the past two weeks. That is the definition of healthy inactive. It's cool for the local radio show to think one thing but we're talking about what the NFL officially calls it. As was said above, even if he practiced 100% all week, if he's hurt he gets a designation, otherwise the Broncos are going to end up getting fined and losing picks.

because he had a very disappointing training camp and preseason.

(I'm commenting as a fan of the team, not for FF purposes)
I guess I'm thinking of mid-to-late preseason drafts like ours, but yeah for people who drafted him early- or pre-training camp, I can understand because there was a lot more hope at that time.

Not sure which Broncos fans you're talking about but they must not be very well informed, because LJ Humphrey is an absolute monster after the catch.

Really?
No one wanted Mims to play more last year?
No one was boasting of Mims and Franklin developing together this summer?

Really?
No one wanted Mims to play more last year?
No one was boasting of Mims and Franklin developing together this summer?
Mims and Franklin are developing together now.

Mims playing more last year wouldn't have made a lick of difference because Wilson couldn't get him the ball anyway

LJ Humphrey is the team's best blocking WR

3rd
Malachi Corley (1)
Jermaine Burton (1)
Roman Wilson (0)
Jalen McMillan (3)
Luke McCaffrey (10)

4th
Troy Franklin (5)
Javon Baker (0)
Devontez Walker (0)
Jacob Cowing (0)
Five catches in five games is not a supportive stat. Neither is adding when he was inactive to this.
I see injuries in the list.
I'd just discard this stat, man.
The stat shows is exactly what is meant to be shown, which is that complaining about the performance of a 4th round rookie wide receiver after 5 games is premature.

Users who are viewing this thread