What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyler Lockett, SEA (8 Viewers)

He's definitely intriguing me to pick up now before the season stars, but as said even if he becomes WR1A & 1B with Baldwin - which I would probably already view him as - how fantasy relevant is he in that offense? Especially now with Graham in the mix.

Dont think Im dropping Stevie Johnson or Sproles for him at this point.

Can we just let this thread die for the next few days? By this point everyone either already drafted Lockett or is planning on it this weekend. No need to give our competition any ideas.

He's a perfect WR flier with your last couple of picks. Agree this is the cheapest he will be. All it will take is one game where he has 4-100 and a long TD and people will be scrambling for him on the waiver wire. There's not much in front of him talent wise, he will need to be involved in the offense more as the season progresses.

Well there's a long road left in this race, but so far the preseason has done nothing to sway my original opinion.

Seahawks stole Lockett.

Well there's a long road left in this race, but so far the preseason has done nothing to sway my original opinion.

Seahawks stole Lockett.
yes they did. lockett is the real deal. what the rams thought tavon austin could be.

Maybe if the Seahawks have a worthwhile WR they will begin to throw more. I can understand feeding Lynch 30 times a game when the alternative is Doug Baldwin but now with Graham and possibly the emergence of Lockett, the offense can evolve. Carroll used to be an offense-minded coach IIRC.

Maybe if the Seahawks have a worthwhile WR they will begin to throw more. I can understand feeding Lynch 30 times a game when the alternative is Doug Baldwin but now with Graham and possibly the emergence of Lockett, the offense can evolve. Carroll used to be an offense-minded coach IIRC.
The notion that Seattle WRs have been less than average is very wrong. The coaching staff and administration have made a choice not to throw the ball more. The attempt to control the clock with a solid running game. They want to play great defense. Golden Tate is showing the world he's a more than competent WR in an offense that chooses to throw the ball more. The idea that Lockett is "worthwhile" isn't going to change Seattle's overall philosophy when it comes to their rate of run versus pass attempts.

Hooper31 said:
pecorino said:
The notion that Seattle WRs have been less than average is very wrong. The coaching staff and administration have made a choice not to throw the ball more. The attempt to control the clock with a solid running game. They want to play great defense. Golden Tate is showing the world he's a more than competent WR in an offense that chooses to throw the ball more. The idea that Lockett is "worthwhile" isn't going to change Seattle's overall philosophy when it comes to their rate of run versus pass attempts.
Just to be clear, are you saying you think the Seahawks will maintain the same run-pass ratio for the next 5 years? During that time, Lynch and Fred Jackson will obviously finish their careers, and the RB successor(s) is unknown. Meanwhile, Wilson will play out the majority of his prime during that period.

IMO it is inevitabale the Seahawks will continue to increase their passing attempts, as they have each year of Wilson's career to date. Carroll is a great coach, and a great coach does not stubbornly stick with a single offensive philosophy, he crafts the offensive philosophy around the strengths of his personnel. With young Wilson, Lynch, and no standout WRs or TEs, it has made perfect sense to emphasize the run. That will not always be true.

Seattle has been trying to upgrade Wilson's targets for a couple years now (trading for Harvin and Graham, drafting Richardson and Lockett). It seems likely they have finally succeeded with Graham and Lockett, meaning this is the first year that could show up in the offensive approach.

Consider the trend:

2012 - 405 pass attempts, 536 rush attempts (430 by RBs)

2013 - 420 pass attempts, 509 rush attempts (402 by RBs)

2014 - 454 pass attempts, 525 rush attempts (388 by RBs)

I see no reason the trend in increased passing attempts will not continue this season. I doubt Wilson will run 118 times again, I think he will be back under 100 rushing attempts. My guess is 475+ pass attempts this season and 500 or fewer rushing attempts. And I think within a few years, with the departure of Lynch, they will break 500 passing attempts per season.

Given that perspective, Lockett has the potential to become a top 25 fantasy WR.

ETA: I agree that the Seahawks WRs have been underrated to some degree. It is obvious with Tate, and I suspect Baldwin could show a similar increased capability given the opportunity. But that's only two guys. Kearse and Matthews are JAGs, and the jury is out on Richardson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyler Lockett IMO will have 50-60 catches for around 700-800 yds and 5-7 tds... Not bad but in a ppr league like mine which also rewards 1 pt per 25 return yds it could be an awesome rookie yr...

Mods, feel free to merge the following two existing comparison threads into this one, but it's about time this jitterbug rook got his own ***official*** thead.

Lockett = Hilton = Brown?

Tyler Lockett vs. Phillip Dorsett

So he's heading into week 1 as the starting KR/PR and slot WR for the near-repeat champs, who also drafted a DROY candidate - Frank Clark - for their already formidable D.

Passing targets will be limited, but quality in nature. KR should also be limited due to a stout D, but punt returns should be plentiful. I think he may be startable soon (week 1 even?) in return leagues as a flex or WR3.

Seahawks homers, can you comment on the quality of your return teams? This a Pete Carroll team, so I assume they are above average to good. Is that accurate? This particular nugget of insight might be the secret in unearthing a return-league diamond right here.

Cooper, Lockett and Agholor were the three best WRs in this draft, if you exclude size metrics, which obviously you can't altogether, but still, there's something to be said for skill, heart and athleticism and this cat has them in spades.

I also like his potential particularly, given the lack of competition at WR. The main concern, however, is how many touches on offense he'll get in a very run-heavy system, and one in which Graham will almost certainly the the clear cut option when Wilson does air it out.

Tyler Lockett, WR, Seattle Seahawks

Hopefully we can all agree that preseason NFL statistics aren't particularly meaningful. The quality of competition isn't stellar, teams aren't typically game-planning for opponents, coaches only care to unveil so many new wrinkles, etc. But, um ... well, just look at the Tyler Lockett highlight reel here and here and here, then tell us he can't be a star. The last clip is probably the best, but they all showcase his speed and live-wire quickness. He's a blur. Seattle will of course remain a run-heavy team, unlikely to produce a high-volume receiver, but that doesn't mean the offense can't produce a wideout worth owning. Between his contributions in the return game and his deployment in three and four-receiver sets, Lockett will make plenty of noise in 2015. He's coming off a 106-catch, 1515-yard campaign at Kansas State, so it's not as if he doesn't have a solid collegiate receiving resume. He looks as if he'll be the guy Percy Harvin was supposed to be for the Seahawks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pickups-of-the-week-035030003.html

He can score on any play from anywhere on the field, which is rare. His college career shows that he is a complete WR, not just a deep threat.

IMO he is the best WR on the team right now, and is a top 30 dynasty WR without having played a regular season snap.

zamboni said:
I also like his potential particularly, given the lack of competition at WR. The main concern, however, is how many touches on offense he'll get in a very run-heavy system, and one in which Graham will almost certainly the the clear cut option when Wilson does air it out.
Spot on. I think Lockett is a great lottery ticket -- the guy has proven himself to be an asset and I can't see the Seahawks not wanting to give him a chance to shine at WR wherever they can. His listed as 2nd WR behind Baldwin, and I think he can be the clear #1, but even if that does happen, SEA's success comes with ball control and running often to set up the pass.

I have high hopes of his ability to be Top 25 or better, but my enthusiasm is tempered by SEA's general gameplan.

He's really been under the radar. I picked him up late 2nd round of a rookie draft, and he is out there in most leagues I am in. Really good upside, especially dynasty as we just don't know how that offense will distribute this year. But we know they like to use weapons... Lockett and Graham provide two very different impossible matchups and with Jimmy demanding a double team and the run commanding at least 7 if not 8 in the box PLUS a QB with a run threat? Should be a lot of open field for Lockett to do his thing.

Unless Seattle changes their philosophy run/pass I can't see him being more than a low end WR2 in fantasy ever. Golden Tate's last year in Seattle he finished as WR29 and had 99 targets. Unless they pass more he isn't going to see the volume needed to be much else. Maybe philosophy changes when Lynch retires.

This year I don't think he is really worth a roster spot in 12 team redraft leagues.

LawFitz said:
Seahawks homers, can you comment on the quality of your return teams? This a Pete Carroll team, so I assume they are above average to good. Is that accurate? This particular nugget of insight might be the secret in unearthing a return-league diamond right here.
2013 they were Elite, a strength of the team. 2014 they had really bad return guys and dipped to 19th I believe. It was a weakness.

Pete really stresses special teams. Its why you see many of the starters play them. I think they will finish elite again because Lockett is special when it comes to returns.

Unless Seattle changes their philosophy run/pass I can't see him being more than a low end WR2 in fantasy ever. Golden Tate's last year in Seattle he finished as WR29 and had 99 targets. Unless they pass more he isn't going to see the volume needed to be much else. Maybe philosophy changes when Lynch retires.

This year I don't think he is really worth a roster spot in 12 team redraft leagues.
This is exactly what we all should be anticipating in the next few years. Seattle will turn this team over to Wilson once Lynch is gone.

This is exactly what we all should be anticipating in the next few years. Seattle will turn this team over to Wilson once Lynch is gone.
We don't know that. What if they draft Elliott or Chubb in the next few years?

We don't know that. What if they draft Elliott or Chubb in the next few years?
Why would they do that when they have an elite QB? You play to your strengths. Wilson doesn't have to be Drew Brees but he's capable. What we saw with Wilson to Lockett is just a sneak peak.

From what I hear, Seattle has major o line woes right now. Not only that, but their defense probably is not going to be as good. All of this points to more passing by necessity. Fortunately for Seattle, I think Wilson is more than able to be a 30 td/4000 yard kind of guy if they need it.

I really wish I was able to get Lockett in one of my leagues.

Rotoworld:

Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell said Wednesday that rookie Tyler Lockett is "light years" ahead of where the team believed he would be as a wide receiver entering the season.

The Seahawks traded up to draft Lockett with the purpose of utilizing him on returns as a rookie. Not only has Lockett shown dynamic special teams value, by the end of August he was working with the first-team offense and finished the preseason with six catches, 129 yards, and a touchdown at wideout. Lockett's emergence is great for Dynasty owners who stole him in rookie drafts. It's bad for Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, and Chris Matthews' fantasy value.

Source: Bob Condotta on Twitter

Sep 9 - 8:04 PM

Depends on your risk tolerance.

Baldwin probably the safer floor -- we know what he is/has been. Lockett's a wild card. Could be invisible, or could be huge. In a vacuum, personally, I'd go Lockett.

He's got upside but in this offense I think he's a boom/bust type player. Are you willing to take the several bust games that come along with the 2 big games?

Baldwin probably the safer floor -- we know what he is/has been. Lockett's a wild card. Could be invisible, or could be huge. In a vacuum, personally, I'd go Lockett.
Don't want to get too far off topic, but I own Baldwin right now as my WR5. My other 4 are Dez, Beckham, Hopkins and Adams. I could take on some risk with Lockett and probably be fine. Just not sure how involved he will be right away.

Don't want to get too far off topic, but I own Baldwin right now as my WR5. My other 4 are Dez, Beckham, Hopkins and Adams. I could take on some risk with Lockett and probably be fine. Just not sure how involved he will be right away.
Reports are he is going to be very involved. If you are in dynasty I would drop Baldwin pick up Lockett. In redraft I would drop both.

Crap, I can't believe I'm starting this guy Week 1. But my Seahawk homer buddy has been raving non-stop about him, then I stumbled on to this thread. Throw in a Spiller here, a Cruz there, and I'm starting Lockett in the flex.

I agree with poster who said he'll be boom or bust. If you're in return yardage, I think he is legit flex player. Even with no catches you're probably looking at 3-5 point floor, which, granted, sucks, but is literally better than nothing.

From an opposing fan POV I'll be superpissed if Pete just got his hands on a Devin Hester 2.0 who can actually run routes and catch, but my fantasy team will gladly reap the benefits.

Crap, I can't believe I'm starting this guy Week 1. But my Seahawk homer buddy has been raving non-stop about him, then I stumbled on to this thread. Throw in a Spiller here, a Cruz there, and I'm starting Lockett in the flex.

I agree with poster who said he'll be boom or bust. If you're in return yardage, I think he is legit flex player. Even with no catches you're probably looking at 3-5 point floor, which, granted, sucks, but is literally better than nothing.

From an opposing fan POV I'll be superpissed if Pete just got his hands on a Devin Hester 2.0 who can actually run routes and catch, but my fantasy team will gladly reap the benefits.
From seeing his measurable and hearing about him, I kinda get a Percy Harvin vibe from him. Admittedly, I haven't seen much of him, but that's just who he reminds me of.

MattFancy said:
tombonneau said:

From seeing his measurable and hearing about him, I kinda get a Percy Harvin vibe from him. Admittedly, I haven't seen much of him, but that's just who he reminds me of.
I think that's a great comp, except that Harvin was reportedly playing around 200 pounds when he was with the Seahawks. He's listed in the 180s with the Jets though, which would make the comp dead on.

Eddie Royal is another possible choice. Remember Week 1 his rookie year?

The problem is it's hard to make a strong judgement off just those two and Lockett comes into the league far (far far far) more accomplished and polished than either of those guys.

Just to throw a dynasty value data point out there, I traded Lockett for an early 2016 2nd rounder (likely pick 11-13)... 10 team, start 2 WR + flex, 1/2 ppr for WR/TE.

I figured Lockett is not startable in this format this year, and I had to make some choices for my rookie squad, too many rookies to keep. Also stacked at WR.

In my 12 team start 3 WR + flex, I would not have made this deal.

MattFancy said:
tombonneau said:

He is a lot closer to Antonio Brown in terms of measurable than Harvin.

Antonio Brown: (combine)

Ht: 5101

Wt: 186

BMI: 26.6

40: 4.57 (4.48 pro day)

20: 2.64

10: 1.58

Bench: 13

Vertical: 33.5

Broad: 8'9"

20 Shuttle: 4.18

3 Cone: 6.98

Tyler Lockett (combine)

Ht: 5097

Wt 182

BMI: 26.3

40: 4.40

20: 2.59

10: 1.55

Vertical: 35.5

Broad 10'1"

20 shuttle: 4.07

3 cone: 6.89

For those that are rostering Tyler Lockett, are you doing so in redraft or keeper leagues? Also, how many teams are in your league? Finally, how many players are on each team? I'm trying to gauge the difference between optimism and fantasy players that are putting their "$ where their mouth is".

For those that are rostering Tyler Lockett, are you doing so in redraft or keeper leagues? Also, how many teams are in your league? Finally, how many players are on each team? I'm trying to gauge the difference between optimism and fantasy players that are putting their "$ where their mouth is".
Redraft, 14-team league, 14 players/team (8 start/5 bench). With a relatively small bench, it's hard to hold a potential breakout/lottery ticket in favor for a "now" contributor, but doing so with Lockett instead of what I see as 15-20 other viable WR/RB wire candidates because I see Lockett falling in the middle -- a guy who has shown consistent breakout talent and as such will earn a chance to contribute -- and less than superior talent in front of him to leapfrog.

A mitigated risk, if you will.

Dynasty, 10 team non ppr 27 man rosters. Redraft, 12 team non ppr 16 man rosters.

I probably will drop him in redraft after 3-4 weeks he's not seeing many snaps. Other bench WRs are John Brown, Allen Robinson. Starters are A Brown and J Matthews.

From the news blog:

SEA - Tyler Lockett to play all over in Week 1 - Fri Sep 11, 09:12 PM

Seattle Seahawks WR Tyler Lockett will not be restricted to where he lines up in Week 1 against the St. Louis Rams, head coach Pete Carroll said Friday, Sept. 11. 'Really, we haven't seen anything from him where we need to restrict him and not put him outside or match him up in certain ways,' Carroll said. 'We really like him all around, and he's still developing with us. He's still in a big process of developing the things that we can count on from him and learning him and all of that. But right now, we're not restricting him anywhere. He'll play in all spots in this game.'

From the news blog:

SEA - Tyler Lockett to play all over in Week 1 - Fri Sep 11, 09:12 PM

Seattle Seahawks WR Tyler Lockett will not be restricted to where he lines up in Week 1 against the St. Louis Rams, head coach Pete Carroll said Friday, Sept. 11. 'Really, we haven't seen anything from him where we need to restrict him and not put him outside or match him up in certain ways,' Carroll said. 'We really like him all around, and he's still developing with us. He's still in a big process of developing the things that we can count on from him and learning him and all of that. But right now, we're not restricting him anywhere. He'll play in all spots in this game.'
It really is pretty strange to hear this kind of stuff about a mid round WR rookie before the season even starts. I'm trying to think of the last time this has happened and I am coming up blank. Anquan Boldin?

Really want to pick him up before Sunday. Seen this guy torch OU too many times with average QBs. Sproles might be the sacrificial lamb.

Here is more from Carroll's Morning Show:

Lockett will play 'a lot' at WR. It's been clear ever since the Seahawks traded up to draft Tyler Lockett in the third round that he'll be the team's primary kickoff and punt returner. Less clear has been how much playing time Lockett figures to see right away at wide receiver, where Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse are the two starters. Lockett will play quite a bit, according to Carroll. "He's in the rotation so he's playing. He's one of the starting three receivers and so he's in there. He's going to play a lot," Carroll said. "We'll just gauge as the game goes how demanding the kicks are and what we need to do to keep him out there. We're fine with our depth. We'll have a lot of guys that will play at receiver every week and our rotations will run deep. But we still would like to give him a lot of chances to help us because he's a good football player. He's the kind of guy that doesn't seem like anything bothers him. You don't feel like he's going to ever show you that he's tired or he's worn down or anything. He just wants to keep playing, and the more the better for him."

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2808905/The-Pete-Carroll-Show-Previewing-Seahawks-opener-against-St-Louis

Users who are viewing this thread