What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yanny vs. Laurel (2 Viewers)

What do you hear?

• Yanny

Votes: 61 35.9%
  • Laurel

Votes: 109 64.1%

• Total voters
Strange.  When I first listened this morning (on computer and TV), all I could hear was Yanny, no matter how hard I tried.  Took a shower and got ready for work and decided to run it past my wife, who has some high-frequency hearing loss, so, based on what I've read, I assumed she would hear Laurel.  Instead, she hears Yanny, but now I hear Laurel. Same computer I listened to before.  I even rewound the DVR to listen to the TV again and got the same result.  The same clip I heard as Yanny before, I now hear as Laurel.

Dedfin said:
I have a strong feeling this could be related to hearing damage.

Yanny = your ears are fuxored

Laurel = you wasted your youth
Bollocks.  I've been to over 1,000 metal shows and even roadied for a metal band for a short time and I heard Laurel.  No way on Earth anyone could say I wasted my youth.  :lol:

AhrnCityPahnder said:
Super weird.  I clearly heard "Laurel".

I played it for my wife and she heard "quit bothering me with your stupid internet bull####".  

there has to be some explanation for this.  Any Ear Docs in the house care to explain?
A couple "experts" chime in for this article...  https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/15/17358136/yanny-laurel-the-dress-audio-illusion-frequency-sound-perception

They claim it to be ambiguous and describe as the auditory equivalent the types of drawings where you see both a vase or faces.  The second guy reiterates it as being ambiguous due to noise that your brain then tries to interpret by filing in the missing info with what it thinks ought to be there, thus influenced by preconceptions or visual clues.

Bollocks.  I've been to over 1,000 metal shows and even roadied for a metal band for a short time and I heard Laurel.  No way on Earth anyone could say I wasted my youth.  :lol:
Ditto...I used to work concert security regularly positioned in front of the stage/speakers.  I too heard Laurel and only Laurel

On TV this morning it was yanni.  On computer now its laurel.  My ears are close to shot though from playing music with inears for years so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that my high frequency pitch hearing is bad.

Went from a firm "My wife is insane it's definitely Yanney what the hell is wrong with her" to clearly hearing Laurel.  Blew my mind last night.  

On TV this morning it was yanni.  On computer now its laurel.  My ears are close to shot though from playing music with inears for years so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that my high frequency pitch hearing is bad.
Other way around.  It's the low that you need for Laurel.

EG72, you must be an anomaly. Sticking with the hypothesis for now.

Evilgrin 72 said:
My wife somehow heard neither. She said it was closer to yanny, but sounded more like.. And then made some noise I can't even describe or spell. What a whack job. I mean, I shouldn't be surprised, she did marry me. 
This is me also. I hear Yary (rhyming with Gary).

It's been on the radio all morning, I've heard it in my car, phone and computer.  All Laurel.  I can't get even the slightest Yanny sound.

I got no Yanni at all until this guys youtube vid where the guy starts adjusting the pitch and replaying it.  ( @Bucky86 posted it earlier in this thread)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3GNT8Ac050

Like the guy in the vid -- I only hear Yanni on the low-pitch modification. 

Heard nothing but Laurel last night and thought all Yanny people must be demented; then today I went back to the video and clearly heard "Yanny" several times. It seems to be easier to hear when the volume on my phone is lower. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sinn Fein said:
Computer speakers - Yanny

Headphones for when I really want to hear stuff - Yanny

:shrug:    
Phone speakers - Laurel

Headphones for when I really want to hear stuff - Yanny the first 2-3 times, then switches to Laurel

Mark me down as another "Laurel" that went to plenty of concerts, worked in loud work environments without hearing protection, owned an airboat, and still listens to music too loud.

I helped an old long-time manufacturing employee setup the ringtone on his phone.  He absolutely could not hear what sounded like the old classic telephone ring.  Had to set it to something like a low pitch buzz.  :shrug:  
Sounds like you have no hearing loss.  The model fits.

Strangest thing...I only heard Laurel last night when I was first exposed to it.  Some of my students played it this morning on cell phones, and again all I heard was Laurel.  I then played it for a colleague and was shocked when all I heard was Yanny...I did a flip-flop, but as I continued to listen, I now hear both of them very clearly simultaneously. 

Last night on a computer with earbuds, also heard "Yanny" the first time and then switched to "Laurel" consistently. But I still could tell the high frequency of Yanny was there.

Good explanation here

The thing to remember is that all the frequencies are in the clip. You might hear more low or high ones depending on the type of speakers you’re using to listen to it, but ultimately it’s your brain that’s ignoring certain frequencies and tuning into others.

I’be listened to this on three systems. First was on computer at work. Heard Yanny. Next at home on TV. Clearly Laurel. Lastly just now from this thread on iPad. Laurel again.

I just heard yanny for the first time ever from a yahoo story and holding my phone further away. Still clearly sounds like laurel when I hold it close. 

El Floppo said:
I hear this

Full disclosure...I've got the tinnitus something fierce.
Holy crap....

22 hours later, playimg it for my wife- now I only hear Laurel.

ETA... Both times, I played it on my phone

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do I care about which of these two words I hear? Not being smarmy, serious question. Is it supposed to hold any meaning, like one means you are a likely a homicidal maniac and the other means you'll cure cancer?

Users who are viewing this thread