What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your opinion on the Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Coverage? (1 Viewer)

What's your opinion of the Travis Kelce - Taylor Swift dating coverage?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a weird spot for sure.

The folks that really don't like it are something I don't understand.

And I don't really understand the sanctimonious high horse from the folks who scold the people that like it.

It's interesting telling people how they should feel.

Overall, it's just a fascinating issue I think.
Personally I don’t think people care that much and are turned off more by the Chiefs State Farm commercials
I kinda like the one with MAUTO. Good for a giggle every time.
You’re part of the problem ;)

We had a historic freezing game, and Jason Kelce was out there with no shirt, pounding brewskis in a luxury suite with the most famous person in the world, while her boyfriend/his brother wins on the field.

That's pretty awesome.
I have my doubts “most famous person in the world “ comment.

I don't know. She's up there for that title. Definitely in the conversation. I'm not sure who would be more famous right now.
Too many people don’t know one of her songs (me included) for her to be the most famous person.

We had a historic freezing game, and Jason Kelce was out there with no shirt, pounding brewskis in a luxury suite with the most famous person in the world, while her boyfriend/his brother wins on the field.

That's pretty awesome.

I don't know. She's up there for that title. Definitely in the conversation. I'm not sure who would be more famous right now.
Too many people don’t know one of her songs (me included) for her to be the most famous person.

Who would you say is the most famous person in the world right now?

And where would Swift rank on your list?

That's pretty awesome.

Probably some of the politicians. Several actors and probably a few more talented singers.

That's pretty awesome.

Just cause she's not your age demographic, doesn't mean she isn't. She's easily the most famous person in the world right now and I would say it's not even remotely close.

That's pretty awesome.

not sure knowing one of her songs really matters, there are lots of famous musicians a lot of people can't name their songs.

That's pretty awesome.

Probably some of the politicians. Several actors and probably a few more talented singers.
I guess you have to define "fame". But I would say she's easily the most 'well known" person on the planet right now. Don't think many people at all, worldwide, haven't heard of her.

That's pretty awesome.

Got me to thinking so I googled around a spell.

The most recent list I found was from October 2023. It’s a global list - maybe it’s a different list if limited to America. :shrug:
1. Barrack Obama
2. Chris Evans
3. Johnny Depp
4. Britney Spears
5. Beyonce
6. Kim Kardashian
7. Morgan Freeman
8. Lady Gaga
9. Sondra Bullock
10. JLo
11. Joe Biden
12. Snoop Dogg
13. Taylor Swift

I suppose the order, like anything, is debatable. Also a bit surprised Trump isn’t in the top 13, as he’s certainly famous.

Anyway, thought it was interesting that she didn’t crack the top 10. Also , again, went by most recent. I have no idea what this website is nor would I vouch for its credibility.

That's pretty awesome.

Just cause she's not your age demographic, doesn't mean she isn't. She's easily the most famous person in the world right now and I would say it's not even remotely close.

I wouldn't say it's anything like "not even remotely close".

If she's even #1.

Biden. Putin, Obama, Trump for politicians.

Others like Dwayne Johnson or Kim Kardishian or Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates or Elon Musk.

First return on google doesn't have her in the top 10 :shrug: https://njcmindia.org/most-popular-person/

She's definitely in the conversation though.

I need to step away from Taylor Swift so I'll be exiting this thread.

True story:

Wife came home with 20 boxes of Girl Scout cookies today.

The philanthropist strikes again!
Yet you just couldn't help yourself.
Had to note my massive philanthropic efforts, since we’re all so impressed with generosity in here. We don’t even like 3/4 of these cookies, so I’ll go donate those too.

That's pretty awesome.

If she's even #1.

Others like Dwayne Johnson or Kim Kardishian or Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates or Elon Musk.

First return on google doesn't have her in the top 10 :shrug: https://njcmindia.org/most-popular-person/

That is a list written 5 months ago, a LOT has changed in that time.

None of the people you listed would sell out stadiums across the world in seconds. Those people would not cause the absolute craze that Taylor has anywhere in the world she steps. Like someone else mentioned earlier, she might be the biggest 'star'/'famous person' in our lifetime.

That's pretty awesome.

Got me to thinking so I googled around a spell.

The most recent list I found was from October 2023. It’s a global list - maybe it’s a different list if limited to America. :shrug:
1. Barrack Obama
2. Chris Evans
3. Johnny Depp
4. Britney Spears
5. Beyonce
6. Kim Kardashian
7. Morgan Freeman
8. Lady Gaga
9. Sondra Bullock
10. JLo
11. Joe Biden
12. Snoop Dogg
13. Taylor Swift

I suppose the order, like anything, is debatable. Also a bit surprised Trump isn’t in the top 13, as he’s certainly famous.

Anyway, thought it was interesting that she didn’t crack the top 10. Also , again, went by most recent. I have no idea what this website is nor would I vouch for its credibility.
i don't know who Chris Evans is

That's pretty awesome.

If she's even #1.

None of the people you listed would sell out stadiums across the world in seconds. Those people would not cause the absolute craze that Taylor has anywhere in the world she steps. Like someone else mentioned earlier, she might be the biggest 'star'/'famous person' in our lifetime.

Not sure what you mean on the "a LOT has changed in 5 months". I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift has been pretty popular for a while.

You're not saying Travis Kelce is the reason she's so famous now are you? That's really all that's different recently for her.

Google reports show Swift has been the most “influential” celebrity of 2023, with an average of 4.5 million monthly searches in the US alone – light-years ahead of her nearest competitors Elon Musk (2.8m searches) and LeBron James (2.7m searches).

That's pretty awesome.

If she's even #1.

OMG

Not sure what you mean on the "a LOT has changed in 5 months". I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift has been pretty popular for a while.

You're not saying Travis Kelce is the reason she's so famous now are you? That's really all that's different recently for her.
The Kelce thing has absolutely brought her 'fame' (amount of people who know of her, talk about her) to millions and millions of middle-aged men.

As her tour stats grow (on pace to be the highest grossing tour in the history of the world), her popularity grows.

Her fame is still growing, so of course she has become a LOT more famous in the past half of a year. She is the fastest GROWING star in terms of instagram followers on earth (gaining almost 40 000 followers PER DAY).

So yes, a lot has changed in terms of number of people who know her/follow her in the last 5 months.

The Kelce thing has absolutely brought her 'fame' (amount of people who know of her, talk about her) to millions and millions of middle-aged men.

As her tour stats grow (on pace to be the highest grossing tour in the history of the world), her popularity grows.

Her fame is still growing, so of course she has become a LOT more famous in the past half of a year. She is the fastest GROWING star in terms of instagram followers on earth (gaining almost 40 000 followers PER DAY).

So yes, a lot has changed in terms of number of people who know her/follow her in the last 5 months.

I've heard there were people who think Travis Kelce helped boost her way up but I thought most were joking.

I know all my friends who are Swift fans think it's a joke.

You may think she's the most famous person on earth. Google doesn't seem to agree :shrug:. I don't really care. But I definitely wouldn't say she's the most famous and "it's not even remotely close." But you do you.

Are you her agent? Besides, popularity is fleeting. Most famous person in our lifetime? I would give that honor to Neil Armstrong. You did say “our lifetime “ and that includes those over the age of 25.

FAME:
1. the state of being known or recognized by many people because of your achievements, skills
2. widespread reputation, especially of a favorable character
3. the state or quality of being widely honored and acclaimed

Ya... ain't nobody close to touching Taylor Swift worldwide right now by this definition.

Are you her agent? Besides, popularity is fleeting. Most famous person in our lifetime? I would give that honor to Neil Armstrong. You did say “our lifetime “ and that includes those over the age of 25.
Show a picture of Neil Armstrong and a picture of Taylor Swift to all 8 billion people on earth and tell me more people recognize Neil Armstrong.

You can't actually believe that.

Show a picture of Neil Armstrong and a picture of Taylor Swift to all 8 billion people on earth and tell me more people recognize Neil Armstrong.

This is silly stuff for children.

I've heard there were people who think Travis Kelce helped boost her way up but I thought most were joking.

You may think she's the most famous person on earth. Google doesn't seem to agree :shrug:. I don't really care. But I definitely wouldn't say she's the most famous and "it's not even remotely close." But you do you.
You made a post on a football message board about her and it has over 2000 views in 10 hours. If she hadn't dated Kelce, how many would you get here discussing her? And that's just here... a very small segment of sports fans across America/the world.

Again, your google was from 5 months ago. She is easily the most famous person on earth, perhaps your demographic doesn't get that though as you're not her target audience.

That's pretty awesome.

I guess you have to define "fame". But I would say she's easily the most 'well known" person on the planet right now. Don't think many people at all, worldwide, haven't heard of her.
Trump or Putin might be the only others more famous. Maybe Obama? Just trying to think of people that have a global spotlight for better or worse.

Do you think more people recognize Neil Armstrong over Taylor Swift, worldwide?

Maybe during his prime but stopped racing a while ago and he hasn't been popular for a while, plus all the doping turned people off.

Even from the same timeline JFK is arguably more famous. Or Marilyn Monroe.

And let the record show that the tour was already smashing records BEFORE she showed up at a Chiefs game. Yes, I am a fan who has followed the tour, and it has been difficult since the tour started last March to get a ticket to any of her shows on Stubhub for less than $1,000 a ticket. Yes, $1,000 a ticket. That is how high the demand is. Meanwhile, you could get second hand tickets to see Madonna and Beyonce, two of the other biggest female stars of the last 30-40 years, in the last year for well under a hundred bucks on Stubhub. It's insanity, quite honestly, for anyone to be this popular.

Gonna start tossing 50 cents at everyone everywhere. Just call me FC the Philanthropist. Go donate my kids old bikes and maybe some diapers somewhere.

I’d like my headline to be changed from Football Guy Jr to Philanthropist. TIA.

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

That's pretty awesome.

Trump or Putin might be the only others more famous. Maybe Obama? Just trying to think of people that have a global spotlight for better or worse.
Fame is defined usually in a positive spotlight. Again, worldwide, all ages, do you think more people would recognize those politicians over Taylor? If any of those politicians had a rally in many countries around the world, would they draw even CLOSE to as big of a crowd as her? You might be too focused on American fame which is TINY in worldwide standards.

And let the record show that the tour was already smashing records BEFORE she showed up at a Chiefs game. Yes, I am a fan who has followed the tour, and it has been difficult since the tour started last March to get a ticket to any of her shows on Stubhub for less than $1,000 a ticket. Yes, $1,000 a ticket. That is how high the demand is. Meanwhile, you could get second hand tickets to see Madonna and Beyonce, two of the other biggest female stars of the last 30-40 years, in the last year for well under a hundred bucks on Stubhub. It's insanity, quite honestly, for anyone to be this popular.
Yep, it's levels of popularity and fame that we have never really seen before.

You made a post on a football message board about her and it has over 2000 views in 10 hours. If she hadn't dated Kelce, how many would you get here discussing her? And that's just here... a very small segment of sports fans across America/the world.

Again, your google was from 5 months ago. She is easily the most famous person on earth, perhaps your demographic doesn't get that though as you're not her target audience.
I thought you have to encompass all demographics to be the most famous person in the whole wide world?

That's pretty awesome.

Fame is defined usually in a positive spotlight. Again, worldwide, all ages, do you think more people would recognize those politicians over Taylor? If any of those politicians had a rally in many countries around the world, would they draw even CLOSE to as big of a crowd as her? You might be too focused on American fame which is TINY in worldwide standards.
I'm using the "would more people be able to identify a picture of X" definition of fame/infamy. Trump is well known the world over (I travel internationally and he is/was on the news even when he wasn't president). Putin has been in office forever and is very identifiable. Maybe both more for infamy than fame, but both have been in the public zeitgeist for decades now.

Don't get me wrong, I think Taylor Swift is probably the most identifiable person in entertainment in the world right now, but would more people in, say, Romania be able to identify Swift? Or Trump? Or Putin?

You don't have to like any of these people, but we know them and talk about them so they are, by definition, known by many i.e. famous.

Yep, it's levels of popularity and fame that we have never really seen before.
Agreed. And it's still a bit weird for me since I've been a rocker my whole life, and most of the bands/artists I have been a big fan of in real time (meaning, not counting the classic rock bands I love who I got into well after their primes) have been either on the fringe of mainstream or underground. For every Foo Fighters or Muse show I have been to, I have been to five shows at a 2,000-seat venue to see an obscure prog rock band. So, to be a fan suddenly of an artist not only this mainstream, but this crazy popular, is kinda surreal.

That's pretty awesome.

Lady Gaga qualifies for the “who would sell out stadium shows” question posited earlier. I’d put her on the list easily,

Kamala Harris is the 1st woman to become vice president. She wouldn’t sell out many stadiums but people definitely know who she is.

Most famous person in our lifetime? I would give that honor to Neil Armstrong. You did say “our lifetime “ and that includes those over the age of 25.
:lmao:

Neil Armstrong not only isn't the most famous person in the world in our lifetime, he isn't even the most famous Armstrong.
That’s your opinion. When he became the first man to walk on the moon he was the most famous person in the world. On the cover of every major magazine, in every newspaper around the world and a household name. You may be too young to understand, I get it.

Fame and popular don't mean the same thing.

Fame is well-known. Popular is well-liked.

There are probably many people that are more famous than Taylor Swift.

But I imagine she scores incredibly high in well-liked, especially when degree is taken into account. Paul McCartney is well-liked (and probably more famous) but people probably don't seek out info on him to the same degree today as Taylor I'm sure.

That's pretty awesome.

Lady Gaga qualifies for the “who would sell out stadium shows” question posited earlier. I’d put her on the list easily,

Kamala Harris is the 1st woman to become vice president. She wouldn’t sell out many stadiums but people definitely know who she is.
Everyone knows the Harris cackle.

First of all, it is beyond hyperbole to suggest that we have been inundated with Taylor Swift coverage during football games. That is simply not true. It is something like 30-40 seconds over the course of a 3hr broadcast. Totally insignificant. Has their relationship been covered more granularly in broader popular culture? Of course. Because she is the biggest pop star on planet earth. All of the social media gossip accounts are all over it. And, of course, people are conflating the broader coverage with what is shown during actual football telecasts. I would suggest that the Brads, Chads and Dads curate their social media accounts more thoughtfully if they are so easily triggered.

Second, and more importantly, the fact that grown men are actually triggered by this is a perfect example of society today in the social media age. Everyone wants to be enraged about anything and everything and shout that rage into the endless silo that is social media. And, the truly sad part of it all is that the rage (on any given topic) is often informed by, or at least underpinned by, political ideology or party affiliation.

These are the the times we now live in and every day we move closer and closer to a post-truth world (if we are not there already).

I voted kind of like it by the way. I respect the hell out of Taylor Swift, even if I do not at all care for her music. Incredible woman.
I love you.

Do you think more people recognize Neil Armstrong over Taylor Swift, worldwide?
You said our lifetime, not now. Someone else mentioned JFK and I agree, but I was 4 when he was killed. However, I was 10 for the moon landing, so I remember. Marylin Monroe’s fame was also before my time. I would also argue Lady Gaga and John Legend are more famous than Swift. Again, fame is fleeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread