What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your opinion on the Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Coverage? (1 Viewer)

What's your opinion of the Travis Kelce - Taylor Swift dating coverage?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a historic freezing game, and Jason Kelce was out there with no shirt, pounding brewskis in a luxury suite with the most famous person in the world, while her boyfriend/his brother wins on the field.

That's pretty awesome.
I have my doubts “most famous person in the world “ comment.

I don't know. She's up there for that title. Definitely in the conversation. I'm not sure who would be more famous right now.
Too many people don’t know one of her songs (me included) for her to be the most famous person.

Who would you say is the most famous person in the world right now?

And where would Swift rank on your list?
Probably some of the politicians. Several actors and probably a few more talented singers.
I'd say Swift is the most famous person in the world and it's not even close. Saying a few talented singers or politicians are more famous is just foolish.
seems like thinking small

We had a historic freezing game, and Jason Kelce was out there with no shirt, pounding brewskis in a luxury suite with the most famous person in the world, while her boyfriend/his brother wins on the field.

That's pretty awesome.

I don't know. She's up there for that title. Definitely in the conversation. I'm not sure who would be more famous right now.
Too many people don’t know one of her songs (me included) for her to be the most famous person.

Probably some of the politicians. Several actors and probably a few more talented singers.
I'd say Swift is the most famous person in the world and it's not even close. Saying a few talented singers or politicians are more famous is just foolish.
More famous than the pope?

Not sure what you mean on the "a LOT has changed in 5 months". I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift has been pretty popular for a while.

You're not saying Travis Kelce is the reason she's so famous now are you? That's really all that's different recently for her.
The Kelce thing has absolutely brought her 'fame' (amount of people who know of her, talk about her) to millions and millions of middle-aged men.

As her tour stats grow (on pace to be the highest grossing tour in the history of the world), her popularity grows.

Her fame is still growing, so of course she has become a LOT more famous in the past half of a year. She is the fastest GROWING star in terms of instagram followers on earth (gaining almost 40 000 followers PER DAY).

So yes, a lot has changed in terms of number of people who know her/follow her in the last 5 months.
Are you her agent? Besides, popularity is fleeting. Most famous person in our lifetime? I would give that honor to Neil Armstrong. You did say “our lifetime “ and that includes those over the age of 25.
Show a picture of Neil Armstrong and a picture of Taylor Swift to all 8 billion people on earth and tell me more people recognize Neil Armstrong.

You can't actually believe that.
This is silly stuff for children.
You sound like a grumpy old man
Is that all you got? Listen I already said I care less about Swift than I do about the silly Chiefs State Farm commercials. Yes, I do think this is silly children stuff. If that makes mea grumpy old man, so be it.

Now get the hell off my lawn!!!!

Not sure what you mean on the "a LOT has changed in 5 months". I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift has been pretty popular for a while.

You're not saying Travis Kelce is the reason she's so famous now are you? That's really all that's different recently for her.
The Kelce thing has absolutely brought her 'fame' (amount of people who know of her, talk about her) to millions and millions of middle-aged men.

As her tour stats grow (on pace to be the highest grossing tour in the history of the world), her popularity grows.

Her fame is still growing, so of course she has become a LOT more famous in the past half of a year. She is the fastest GROWING star in terms of instagram followers on earth (gaining almost 40 000 followers PER DAY).

So yes, a lot has changed in terms of number of people who know her/follow her in the last 5 months.
Are you her agent? Besides, popularity is fleeting. Most famous person in our lifetime? I would give that honor to Neil Armstrong. You did say “our lifetime “ and that includes those over the age of 25.
Show a picture of Neil Armstrong and a picture of Taylor Swift to all 8 billion people on earth and tell me more people recognize Neil Armstrong.

You can't actually believe that.
This is silly stuff for children.
You sound like a grumpy old man
Is that all you got? Listen I already said I care less about Swift than I do about the silly Chiefs State Farm commercials. Yes, I do think this is silly children stuff. If that makes mea grumpy old man, so be it.

Now get the hell off my lawn!!!!
As a Chiefs fan I'm tired of seeing these chuckleheads to tv every damn commercial. You know what I said all year as I watched the offense struggle:

"IF YOU WANKERS SPENT TIME WORKING ON YOUR GAME ALL OFFSEASON INSTEAD OF FILMING ALL THESE DAMN COMMERCIALS WE WOULD BE BETTER ON OFFENSE.......HOW ABOUT YOU PRACTICE MORE??????"

:hot::hot::hot:

It's a weird spot for sure.

The folks that really don't like it are something I don't understand.

And I don't really understand the sanctimonious high horse from the folks who scold the people that like it.

It's interesting telling people how they should feel.

Overall, it's just a fascinating issue I think.
Personally I don’t think people care that much and are turned off more by the Chiefs State Farm commercials
I kinda like the one with MAUTO. Good for a giggle every time.
Problem is ALL the insurance companies are trying to be funny (I feel like it started with Geico a long time ago), and it becomes a competition of which one can be more cringe in the process.

And I don't really understand the sanctimonious high horse from the folks who scold the people that like it.

Personally I don’t think people care that much and are turned off more by the Chiefs State Farm commercials
Problem is ALL the insurance companies are trying to be funny (I feel like it started with Geico a long time ago), and it becomes a competition of which one can be more cringe in the process.
Honest question: Would anyone actually purchase insurance because of a commercial even if you thought they were funny or entertaining?

Seems like that much money spent on advertising will be passed onto the customer :popcorn:

Honest question: Would anyone actually purchase insurance because of a commercial even if you thought they were funny or entertaining?

Seems like that much money spent on advertising will be passed onto the customer :popcorn:
I certainly would not, and if anything I'd avoid giving a company my business out of spite. Done that plenty of times when debating what brand I want to spend on. If all else is equal or close to it, I choose to go with the brand that annoys me less. Not that my spending habits would put a dent on any of these companies.

That's pretty awesome.

I doubt many kids would be able to pick the pope out of a lineup.

I certainly would not, and if anything I'd avoid giving a company my business out of spite. Done that plenty of times when debating what brand I want to spend on. If all else is equal or close to it, I choose to go with the brand that annoys me less. Not that my spending habits would put a dent on any of these companies.
Despite Mahomes being a twit with all the whining to the Refs about PI and late hits, I actually find the commercials kind of funny for the most part. But at zero point was I ever tempted switch over from Mercury. But same applies to pretty much all the major companies that dominate advertising.

I luv Mahomes, but my bigger issue is his over exposure. I don't blame him. I don't blame the NFL. I just don't need to watch him play. Then constant commercials. See his face on random emails. On my mail from home. All my feeds. Dudes everywhere.

That's pretty awesome.

I doubt many kids would be able to pick the pope out of a lineup.
She is way bigger then the Pope. It's crazy

Having taken more than a few marketing classes, I feel qualified to tell you that’s not really the point.

It’s all about name-brand recognition. The commercials themselves are not expected to get you to pick up the phone and call up Geico or State Farm, or any insurance company in the heat of the moment.

It’s so that when you think “Insurance”, you to have the association with a particular name.

Humor and repetition both help to impress that upon people.

Having taken more than a few marketing classes, I feel qualified to tell you that’s not really the point.

It’s all about name-brand recognition. The commercials themselves are not expected to get you to pick up the phone and call up Geico or State Farm, or any insurance company in the heat of the moment.

It’s so that when you think “Insurance”, you to have the association with a particular name.

But I’m still not going to call them regardless of when “I think insurance” based on a commercial.

Obviously advertising works or they wouldn’t spend the money on it but it just always amazes me that it works to the level it apparently does. I wouldn’t switch from Coke to Pepsi because of a clever commercial or buy a BMW if I was a Mercedes guy because some hot babe is driving it. Overhead is always passed on to the customer.

But I’m still not going to call them regardless of when “I think insurance” based on a commercial.

Obviously advertising works or they wouldn’t spend the money on it but it just always amazes me that it works to the level it apparently does. I wouldn’t switch from Coke to Pepsi because of a clever commercial or buy a BMW if I was a Mercedes guy because some hot babe is driving it. Overhead is always passed on to the customer.
Everyone thinks this.

Everyone is lying to themselves.

If it didn’t work, they wouldn’t keep using the same techniques.

It’s not a conscious thing. It’s subliminal. You’re being marketed to all the time. No one is immune.

Remember the movie They Live? Yeah - unless you have one of those pairs of special sunglasses, you ain’t special in this regard. They’ll get their jingle, joke, mascot, or name stuck in your head.

And when you call around for quotes, State Farm will be one of the names that comes to mind. Bank on it.

Everyone thinks this.

Everyone is lying to themselves.

If it didn’t work, they wouldn’t keep using the same techniques.

It’s not a conscious thing. It’s subliminal. You’re being marketed to all the time. No one is immune.

Remember the movie They Live? Yeah - unless you have one of those pairs of special sunglasses, you ain’t special in this regard. They’ll get their jingle, joke, mascot, or name stuck in your head.

And when you call around for quotes, State Farm will be one of the names that comes to mind. Bank on it.
Nope

I luv Mahomes, but my bigger issue is his over exposure. I don't blame him. I don't blame the NFL. I just don't need to watch him play. Then constant commercials. See his face on random emails. On my mail from home. All my feeds. Dudes everywhere.
To people who are tired of seeing Mahomes everywhere, welcome to the world of those of us in the 90s who were tired of seeing Michael Jordan everywhere.

Keep telling yourself that. There’s 100+ years of data says you’re wrong.

No one is immune to advertising. It’s insidious.

I could name a company jingle from decades ago and you’d be able to sing it in your head.

Depends on your age, but I bet if I mentioned Mean Joe Greene your 1st thought is “hey kid, catch!” over any of his on-field plays.

I’d like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony - and now that melody is 100% in your head if you’re of a certain age.

If I say Geiko you
1. Know it’s an insurance company regardless of whether you’ve ever used them or not. That’s absolute proof that it works right there.
And
2. You think of either a gecko or a caveman involuntarily.

Just like that stupid emu on those annoying commercials (and that jingle is now in my head).

You may have never drank Pepsi in your life but when Kylie Jenner gave one to a cop and solved racism, I bet people were talking about that stupid s##t at your office water cooler.

Again: the purpose of advertising isn’t necessarily to force an impulse buy where in the middle of a football game you’re picking up the phone to order insurance. The purpose is to put it into your subconscious mind so that you associate State Farm with insurance. Or if a commercial is really good/funny/unique/terrible, to get people talking about it so the association spreads along with the discussion.

Tried and true, and It absolutely works.

We argued this exact fame question in the FFA Taylor Swift thread with me taking Johnny U's position and coming up with at least three or four lists where she isn't the most popular—or even in the top ten. I went for Q Rating, too, but I don't believe that I found one current enough. It was pretty clear by all the rankings, though, that she doesn't even hit top ten globally. And remember that it's global, which includes the Far East (where movie stars and politicians are likely to be more well-known than songstresses) and other outreaches where American pop culture isn't quite as present as it is in America.

Anyway, if I might meta-commentary the thread like everybody else. It's funny how the pro-Swifties that littered that FFA thread are out in full force here. Same guys, same arguments. You'd think that they'd be awfully hesitant to cast aspersions on the annoyed, yet here they are, willing fanboys to the poptimist revolution.

And I say that because for my part, I voted no opinion, but as a red-blooded American male, I reserve my right to be mildly annoyed by young pop superstars purveying claptrap, especially when that purveying is coming from an older woman who should know better. (That's right, Taylor, you're over thirty now. No more journal emoting and emo lyrics. Time to grow up.)

It's my own rite of passage into full "get off my lawn" mode that I should be content with my firm belief that we're going to hell in a handbasket because our youth are soft/decadent/stupid/lack survival skills and to misdirect that notion and project it onto Taylor Swift, who really is probably the most anodyne of superstarlets one has at the ready in one's mind, a superstarlet that can't help that you've done raised your kids all awry and soft and untenable for real combat.

Do I hear the drums of war? I do, I do. I always do.

I could name a company jingle from decades ago and you’d be able to sing it in your head.

Depends on your age, but I bet if I mentioned Mean Joe Greene your 1st thought is “hey kid, catch!” over any of his on-field plays.

I’d like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony - and now that melody is 100% in your head if you’re of a certain age.

If I say Geiko you
1. Know it’s an insurance company regardless of whether you’ve ever used them or not. That’s absolute proof that it works right there.
And

Just like that stupid emu on those annoying commercials (and that jingle is now in my head).

You may have never drank Pepsi in your life but when Kylie Jenner gave one to a cop and solved racism, I bet people were talking about that stupid s##t at your office water cooler.

Again: the purpose of advertising isn’t necessarily to force an impulse buy where in the middle of a football game you’re picking up the phone to order insurance. The purpose is to put it into your subconscious mind so that you associate State Farm with insurance. Or if a commercial is really good/funny/unique/terrible, to get people talking about it so the association spreads along with the discussion.

But the ads don’t make me buy their products. Of course I buy products that are advertised, you can’t get around that but I don’t buy Nike shoes because I liked the commercials with Michael and Spike Lee. I started buying them in college. Just saw them in a store and liked the swoosh. Seduced ever since.

It obviously works but not on everyone. I never bought Life cereal even though Mikey was hilarious.

And no, I honestly do not remember a Kylie Jenner Pepsi commercial. Sorry to disappoint.

If I say Geiko you
And

But the ads don’t make me buy their products. Of course I buy products that are advertised, you can’t get around that but I don’t buy Nike shoes because I liked the commercials with Michael and Spike Lee. I started buying them in college. Just saw them in a store and liked the swoosh.

It obviously works but not on everyone. I never bought Life cereal even though Mikey was hilarious.

It was a tragedy when he passed away due to the Pop Rocks and Coke.

If I say Geiko you
And

But the ads don’t make me buy their products. Of course I buy products that are advertised, you can’t get around that but I don’t buy Nike shoes because I liked the commercials with Michael and Spike Lee. I started buying them in college. Just saw them in a store and liked the swoosh.

You don’t know what you don’t know.

Ya know?

Also, again commercials are also about building brand awareness.

If I say Geiko you
And

Also, again commercials are also about building brand awareness.
I get that but I’m still amazed they work to the extent they do. When I need to pick up some beer, Bud or Miller never pop into my head but according to your theory, they should.

On a separate note, I wasn’t allowed sugared cereal as a kid, but somehow tricked my parents into buying cinnamon life, which is awesome, and super sugary.

Not “trix” or “fruit loops” sugary, but definitely out of the approved zone.

get that but I’m still amazed they work to the extent they do. When I need to pick up some beer, Bud or Miller never pop into my head but according to your theory, they should.
For some things it works better on some people.

When I drink beer it’s small brewery/gourmet because I’m only gonna have one or two, and well, I like high quality beer,

Not everyone is a beer snob. A couple decades ago, I watched my group of friends trend from Bud to Bud light, to Miller light, to Coors light (higher ABV) to MGD, and then back to Bud light when those Real Men of Genius commercials were around. (This is my favorite one)

And that I even have a favorite Bud light commercial is an amazing testament to the power of advertising, because I’ve never bought Bud light in my life.

Trust me - there’s something in your life for which advertising has worked, (or is working). Just gotta see the forest instead of the trees.

If I say Geiko you
And

It was a tragedy when he passed away due to the Pop Rocks and Coke.
Hoax: https://doyouremember.com/102868/mikey-life-cereal-70s-commercial-kid

I hate it, but in all fairness when Tony Romo was dating Jessica Simpson I was sick of that circus too. Even though Jessica had her assistant shop my dealership looking to buy Tony a boat. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Showing them one time at the start of the game I guess is ok, but when the player scores or makes a great play, I wanna see the reaction of the player/team/coach. I don’t want to immediately see some chick show off her bling while she’s asking someone what just happened.
What about when they show the Mom during the Eagles/Chiefs Superbowl? That didn't seem to annoy people as much. Face it, you hate her cause she's an Eagles fan :p (kidding, kidding)
Lol, never knew she was an Eagle fan? Hate her face more now. 😊 But as I said, I hated Jessica Simpson hogging all the tv time and she definitely was a COWBOY fan! 😂
Kelce mom was pretty cool though😎

get that but I’m still amazed they work to the extent they do. When I need to pick up some beer, Bud or Miller never pop into my head but according to your theory, they should.
For some things it works better on some people.

When I drink beer it’s small brewery/gourmet because I’m only gonna have one or two, and well, I like high quality beer,

Not everyone is a beer snob. A couple decades ago, I watched my group of friends trend from Bud to Bud light, to Miller light, to Coors light (higher ABV) to MGD, and then back to Bud light when those Real Men of Genius commercials were around. (This is my favorite one)

And that I even have a favorite Bud light commercial is an amazing testament to the power of advertising, because I’ve never bought Bud light in my life.

Trust me - there’s something in your life for which advertising has worked, (or is working). Just gotta see the forest instead of the trees.
Can’t think of a single one but what do I know about me? 🤷🏻

Kelce mom was pretty cool though😎
Funny no one ever complains about the 5x a game Kelce’s mom is on, or that Kelce’s mom is on that NFL commercial.
:shrug:
Various outlets have reported that Swift was shown a whopping 35 seconds during the game this past week.

The only Chiefs game this year where she was shown for more than a minute was the playoff game vs the Dolphins (just over a minute total).

Imagine being bothered by seeing someone for 35 seconds in a 3 hour plus telecast. :lmao:

Try this exercise;
• is there a particular brand of gas you prefer? Are you a chevron with Techron customer, or do you think that’s dumb so you’re flying J all the way?

• Do you prefer Nike or Rebok? Or other?

• coke or Pepsi? Why? Both have changed formulas so many times over the last few decades that they’re barely recognizable to the original, yet people still prefer one to the other and are fiercely loyal.

• if I gave you a list of electronics brands, could you put them in an order of quality? Have you actually owned every brand on the that list, or is it just something you know, like Sony is the best but Panasonic is the worst?

• do you have an Apple phone or an android? Does it matter to you? Do you know why you chose one over the other?

Marketing is everywhere and all the time.

Why are we here posting at FBG? There are a ton of FF products out there. I can answer it easily - I was looking for information, and FBG was one of the links that came up. That’s not free for companies - that’s advertising on a search engine for visibility. FBG came up because FBG pays Google to make sure FBG comes up.

Then while on the site I saw ads for their premium content, and became a premium subscriber. Again, ad placement on something I searched for led to a purchase. @Joe Bryant (or someone on his team). understands advertising in a way I really need to learn better, because it’s super effective.

I’m just saying, you’re absolutely making decisions based on some form of marketing.

All way off topic, but an interesting subject.

Mildly annoyed.

I watch sports not only for the play on the field, but also the emotion side of the game. So when something big happens, I want to see the sidelines, the reactions of the players and coaches. The people that I've invested time into following. I really don't care what-so-ever what Taylor Swift's reaction is. Showing Swift takes away time seeing the what I want to see.

If I went to a Taylor Swift concert, I'd be there to see her. I wouldn't want to have to look at a picture of Kelce's mug every time she hits a high-note, or whatever.
1000x this. The first time Kelce showed up on a big screen at her concert, the teens would find it endearing. The 100th time they woul say, “like, ok, like I totes get that Taylor is mad into Trav, but, like, why do they like keep showing him dancing? And like who even does the orange justice dance thing anymore? So ‘15. I just want to hear Cruel Summer so can we not with the Trav thing?”

Courtesy of Ari Meirov:

NFL viewership for Championship Sunday:

• Chiefs vs. Ravens: 55.5 million (Most-watched AFC Championship ever)

• Lions vs. 49ers: 56.9 million (Most-watched NFC Championship since 2012.)

Certainly not hurting their ratings for all the alleged hatred. :shrug:

Try this exercise;
• is there a particular brand of gas you prefer? Are you a chevron with Techron customer, or do you think that’s dumb so you’re flying J all the way?

• Do you prefer Nike or Rebok? Or other?

• coke or Pepsi? Why? Both have changed formulas so many times over the last few decades that they’re barely recognizable to the original, yet people still prefer one to the other and are fiercely loyal.

• if I gave you a list of electronics brands, could you put them in an order of quality? Have you actually owned every brand on the that list, or is it just something you know, like Sony is the best but Panasonic is the worst?

• do you have an Apple phone or an android? Does it matter to you? Do you know why you chose one over the other?

Marketing is everywhere and all the time.

Why are we here posting at FBG? There are a ton of FF products out there. I can answer it easily - I was looking for information, and FBG was one of the links that came up. That’s not free for companies - that’s advertising on a search engine for visibility. FBG came up because FBG pays Google to make sure FBG comes up.

Then while on the site I saw ads for their premium content, and became a premium subscriber. Again, ad placement on something I searched for led to a purchase. @Joe Bryant (or someone on his team). understands advertising in a way I really need to learn better, because it’s super effective.

I’m just saying, you’re absolutely making decisions based on some form of marketing.

All way off topic, but an interesting subject.

Not buying what you're selling. If this worked KMART would be huge (My Link)

Just make good products. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread