What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your opinion on the Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Coverage? (1 Viewer)

What's your opinion of the Travis Kelce - Taylor Swift dating coverage?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
What's your opinion? If any?

And yes, this gets a little off the topic of NFL Football but given the open week, we'll allow it.

If the 49ers weren’t in the SB, I don’t think I’d watch. Never really had an opinion Kelce, now I strongly dislike. There’s zero benefit of Taylor Swift to football fans, and when Kelce retires (if they stay together), those extra dollars that Roger (who I also can’t stand) is chasing leave along with the 8-14 year old girls she’s bringing with her.

Overblown is the word that comes to mind, but that is the media for you. If the Chiefs get blown out will they turn her into a villain if she shows negative emotions, or turn it into a sympathy party? The media can turn it into whatever they want.

It shouldn't be as bothersome as it is, but it is to me. Has seen me tune out and do something else several times this season.

I genuinely struggle to watch sport with any kind of commentary though. Ideally I'd have the diegetic sound of the game, some background music, and that's it. I'm watching because I want to watch the game, anything that takes me out of it, including the generally inane drivel of some commentary team or continuous cuts to celebrities unrelated to the sport, is unwelcome.

Those who voted love it, explain why you love it from a football fan perspective. Ignore if you’re just a casual fan, because the reason becomes obvious.

And as always, please comment on your vote.

I'm especially interested in who the fans are.

I know some KC fans and they love it. But not sure if that's how most feel.

Those who voted love it, explain why you love it from a football fan perspective. Ignore if you’re just a casual fan, because the reason becomes obvious.

I think for most, they'd say it's a fun and interesting side story. Lots of people like romance stories. :shrug:

I think what I'm more interested in is why people dislike or hate it.

I like it. She’s a huge celebrity but does seem like a genuinely good person. I think I read that for the game the other day she was on less than 1/2 of one percent of the telecast? If something so minor is bothering you so much I’d love to know why.

As famous as she is I’m actually shocked they don’t show her even more.

I think for most, they'd say it's a fun and interesting side story. Lots of people like romance stories. :shrug:

I think what I'm more interested in is why people dislike or hate it.
I posted my reason for disliking it, the media has overblown it. Like they do everything.

I have 2 teen daughters so I like it from the perspective that it is making them more interested in football.

The first week or two she was at games, I was a bit annoyed at how much they were talking about it, even in non-Chiefs games. But then it settled in and it's fine, it's no longer dominating conversation with broadcasts.

So, I don't really care beyond the fact that my daughters will actually watch the games more, which is great.

Couldn't have cared less, but now I kinda like how much it angers some folks.

I see a lot of folks that feel like you do on this. I have to admit, that feels odd, too.

But I get it. I know there's a whole politics discussion angle thing that seems to love seeing the other side upset or shed "tears". Not Swift's politics. Just discussion in general where one side seems to like seeing how the "other" side is angered.

Last edited:
I love it because it's fun. I understand that Taylor Swift is not for me necessarily, but there are people in this world who are enjoying it and she has been a major positive influence for a lot of kids. As a daughter dad, anything that is a positive influence for young girls and women is A-OK to me.

And if the networks weren't cutting to her, it would someone else. Some other celebrity, an owner....whatever story is going on for whatever game is playing. It's just background filler to me. The people getting outraged by this just astounds me.

I voted "strongly like it." I think it can be a bit much at times, but she's in the conversation now when it comes to being the most well known person in the world right now, so of course they are going to show her. But go back and watch the Christmas game when the Chiefs lost to the Raiders. I remember thinking that they barely showed her at all once the Chiefs fell behind and never really looked good the rest of the game. They usually show her having fun when things are going well for Kelce and/or the Chiefs. I am a fan, so of course I do not see it as a big deal, but I don't watch hoping they'll show her. If they do, cool, and if they don't, it doesn't bother me. The fact that this does bother some people is something I find bizarre.

I see a lot of folks that feel like you do on this. I have to admit, that feels odd, too.

But I get it. I know there's a whole politics discussion angle thing that seems to love seeing the other side upset or shed "tears".
I hadn’t even thought of her politics.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean her politics. I mean some people in political discussion love to enjoy the other side being angry. And that always struck me as odd. I edited my post to be more clear.

Like any "celerity" news, I have little care for it. When it interferes with the game or coverage, I am against it. But most of the time it's a non-issue.

But I get it. I know there's a whole politics discussion angle thing that seems to love seeing the other side upset or shed "tears".
I hadn’t even thought of her politics.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean her politics. I mean some people in political discussion love to enjoy the other side being angry. And that always struck me as odd. I edited my post to be more clear.
Oh OK

I voted "sort of dislike it". I have nothing against Taylor Swift. I pretty much dislike anything that takes away from the game itself. I dislike the ridiculous number of TV time outs, I dislike the ridiculous half time spectacles. I get it. It is all a business and decisions are made to increase publicity, increase viewership, and generally increase revenue. But I don't care for all the nonsense.

Now get off of my lawn...

I love it. It's more real than those bachelor shows. Seems more real than many of the relationships I've been in. It doesn't distract at all from the game, when Kelce & KC were struggling earlier, or now when Kelce is on fire. TBH, fantasy football and gambling is more distracting from the game itself for those few purists who don't play than Taylor.

As someone else mentioned, the Taylor storyline or in-game mentions / closeups don't bother me as much as the heavy rotation of commercials with Chiefs personnel. Not even sure why that rubs me the wrong way . . . most of the time I ignore the commercials, but they are so frequent, they are hard to miss.

Last edited:

But I get it. I know there's a whole politics discussion angle thing that seems to love seeing the other side upset or shed "tears". Not Swift's politics. Just discussion in general where one side seems to like seeing how the "other" side is angered.
I don't get it. She's not overly political and has barely said squat about politics other than a single comment on 2 different races over the 15 or so years she's been famous. Other than urging people to vote, which should be apolitical.

I voted "sort of dislike it". I have nothing against Taylor Swift. I pretty much dislike anything that takes away from the game itself. I dislike the ridiculous number of TV time outs, I dislike the ridiculous half time spectacles. I get it. It is all a business and decisions are made to increase publicity, increase viewership, and generally increase revenue. But I don't care for all the nonsense.

Now get off of my lawn...
Nice lawns are cool.

I love it because it's fun. I understand that Taylor Swift is not for me necessarily, but there are people in this world who are enjoying it and she has been a major positive influence for a lot of kids. As a daughter dad, anything that is a positive influence for young girls and women is A-OK to me.

And if the networks weren't cutting to her, it would someone else. Some other celebrity, an owner....whatever story is going on for whatever game is playing. It's just background filler to me. The people getting outraged by this just astounds me.
Yeah, I've seen Matthew McConaughey cut to during like 15 different Commanders games.

As someone else mentioned, the Taylor storyline or in-game mentions / closeups don't bother me as much as the heavy rotation of commercials with Chiefs personnel. Not even sure why that rubs me the wrong way . . . must of the time I ignore the commercials, but they are so frequent, they are hard to miss.
The first time I heard Andy Reid say "chicken nuggies" I laughed. But at this point he might as well scape his hands across a chalkboard.

I voted that I have no opinion on it. I really don't mind it one way or another. Like somebody upthread said, they'd fill the time with another human interest story, so why not this one? Nothing wrong with a love story.

Thought I guess I am a little annoyed at the cutaways every time a play goes to Kelce. It disrupts the flow of the broadcast.

And allow me to rebut the "I love that it makes so-and-so mad" or, more specifically, the "what's wrong with you crowd?" directed at those that don't like it. I can't see how those people can't see why people are annoyed. You've got an American Idol-esque (though much bigger) female pop star celebrity (a concept a lot of football folks hate in itself) distracting from the game at hand (a game that a lot of people have a love for and like to see kept as pure as possible). Why can't you figure out why people hate it or why is the impulse towards not liking it always a bad one?

Or are you all just above it all with an ironic wink and nod?

Truly don't know.

I mean, what if you love the game of football and hate the celebrity and money issues that go along with that game happening to be huge in America? How does that mean there's something wrong with you?

Seems pretty natural and that a dislike of that marriage (no pun intended) is also natural.

I don't get it. She's not overly political and has barely said squat about politics other than a single comment on 2 different races over the 15 or so years she's been famous. Other than urging people to vote, which should be apolitical.
Agreed. Her 2019 album had a couple songs that were somewhat political in nature, but pretty tame overall when compared to how overt many political songs are. And her You Need to Calm Down video was very all-inclusive, but she is not an activist by any stretch of the imagination. Heck, certain groups have gotten mad at her for not saying more about their causes over the years, but she is very smart and stays out of that kind of talk, similar to how Michael Jordan always did with his famous "Republicans buy shoes, too!" line.

Personally i thinkg it's fine.
The coverage has brought a whole new demographic into The NFL Universe.
There are worse things I see on my t.v than the Travis/Taylor dynamic.

It's no different than the coverage any other celebrity couple receives, it's just crossing over into the sports arena. You have/had similar coverage from the press when the Kardashian's were dating various NBA players. This has obviously grown to more popularity than that for several reasons, not limited to but including the NFL schedule - one game a week vs. multiple makes it more of an "appointment viewing" event and the stakes with the Chiefs ride through the playoffs and to the Super Bowl - as far as I recall any player the Kardashian's dated happened to be on bad teams.

These entertainment romances should have work to like the barter system where it is fair for both their audiences...they should have to show Kelce or offensive line blocking highlights after every 3 songs at her concert...since all her fans are now NFL aficionados, I bet this would be very well received.

I don’t care, at all, about Taylor Swift. I’m not her target audience and couldn’t name a single song of hers. I’m sure she’s either a lovely person, or a diva monster, or somewhere in between.

America loves 2 things, seemingly above all else: Celebrity and Outrage. This situation is kind of the perfect storm to encourage both of those. I am bemused by both reactions.

I will say I am reluctantly a huge fan of Travis. Before their podcast, I thought he was a typical meathead mook athlete. He pretty much is, but he seems like a really genuine, cool human being. I like watching him and his brother just talk life and football. They are pretty darn likeable.

I don’t care, at all, about Taylor Swift. I’m not her target audience and couldn’t name a single song of hers. I’m sure she’s either a lovely person, or a diva monster, or somewhere in between.

America loves 2 things, seemingly above all else: Celebrity and Outrage. This situation is kind of the perfect storm to encourage both of those. I am bemused by both reactions.

I will say I am reluctantly a huge fan of Travis. Before their podcast, I thought he was a typical meathead mook athlete. He pretty much is, but he seems like a really genuine, cool human being. I like watching him and his brother just talk life and football. They are pretty darn likeable.
Wasn’t the storyline last year the Kelce brothers and their mom? I hate State Farm more with all the Chiefs in their commercials. Seems as if it’s every few minutes.

Didn't they show Jennifer Lopez all the time during Alex Rodriguez' games? It's just our culture. People in general are obsessed with fame.

I voted no opinion because I don't really care, but it's gotten kind of annoying and overplayed. I guess it's cool that two ugly ducklings like Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce managed to overcome the odds and find love, but I grew weary of this storyline after a couple of episodes.

Don't really care one way or the other. Not interested in it, but the TV cutting to her for 3 seconds a few times a game doesn't really bother me any more than when they cut to Jerry Jones for 3 seconds a few times a game. A little easier on the eyes, at least.

For example, I'm sure we all remember that Asian lady who got way, way too excited over the Chargers during that one game. It was funny and made for an amusing side-character.

Now imagine every single Chargers game cutting that chick half a dozen times per game, and story after story about the crazy Chargers lady, and message board debates about whether Crazy Charger Lady has finally gone too far. At some point, normal people are going to want to just watch the damn game. I think many of us have reached that point with Taylor Swift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread