What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Phish Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Quick review from last night: This was a "Trey" show, through and through. Sure, Mike chipped in with a quirky, not-very-interesting new song Infinite, and Page had his Lawnboy and the electronica dance-track I Always Wanted it This Way from Big Boat. But the standout jams came through Trey's hose in 46 Days, Light, Down with Disease and Mike's Groove. I'd put all four of these in the "must hear" category. Expounding on the Light jam--the first half of Trey's solo could be generously described as pedestrian but then, after about five minutes, he flipped a switch into Type II mode and the final half of the song approached epic territory. Such a beautiful, powerful melody from Trey, I could see the band composing a full-blown song out of the riffs in the second half of the jam. The other note I must share is about the Mike's Song which came out of the Light. I am not a musician but it seems to me that Trey led the band into Mike's in the wrong key. My sense is that the band knows that they must modulate into the proper key but in the first few bars of Mike's, someone blasted an atrocious clam, but the dissonance and sheer unexpectedness of that clam made Trey and Mike giggle a little and they played off the clam for the rest of the tune. By the time the key was fixed, Trey had integrated the clam into the melody and Mike picked it up, too. Talk about turning lemons into lemonade. I'm sure I am not describing it well, but it was clearly a unique take on Mike's Groove.

I'm not even mentioning the 25-minute Down with Disease that had at least three distinct jamming sections, nor the lights which were of another world. This is a band that must be seen and heard to believe so I encourage you east-coasters to head to Camden tonight or Baltimore this weekend to enjoy a show. The Camden ticket was the easiest I've ever received--I found one guy selling an extra and within 30 seconds, two other people descended on me trying to dump theirs, so tonight at Camden is practically a free night out. Hope some of you get to enjoy it.

i have seen close to 80 shows and last night was maybe top 5 def top 10.  holy crap that band is so tight they just can weave through music and songs effortlessly.  the way the drop in and out of songs is crazy impressive 
The Runaway Jim, Antelope, Makisupa trifecta was darn near perfection.

pecorino said:
The Runaway Jim, Antelope, Makisupa trifecta was darn near perfection.
Into YEM.   A must listen for any music fan

you can probably count on one hand how many bands that could pull that off

Was anyone on their way to Curveball?  I'm bummed just because I can't stream it...I couldn't imagine having flown across country or be halfway across country in an RV and the rugged being pulled out like that.  

It's sucks but unavoidable 

see see you in Hampton phanners
I was on the interstate probably 15 miles away from the venue when Gordo came on the radio and said no more vehicles could enter the festival at Coventry.  That was after sitting for about 20 hours.  

There was about an hour of people freaking out, then we all just just pulled off the interstate grabbed what we could and started walking.  Unfortunately that was one of the better moments of the weekend.  

Was anyone on their way to Curveball?  I'm bummed just because I can't stream it...I couldn't imagine having flown across country or be halfway across country in an RV and the rugged being pulled out like that.  
Yep.  Made it as far as Albany with a group of friends.  We had just stopped to pick up beer when we got the announcement.  Brutal.  Flew back to Atlanta last night and I’m still too bummed out to unpack my gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.  Made it as far as Albany with a group of friends.  We had just stopped to pick up beer when we got the announcement.  Brutal.  Flew back to Atlanta last night and I’m still too bummed out to unpack my gear.
Sucks.  Why didn’t you stay up there and find another festival?  

Sucks.  Why didn’t you stay up there and find another festival?  
I was with a group of guys who all went to college together and they all wanted to stay and party at one of their houses in Albany all weekend.  I opted to head home instead.

I feel like the band will try to do something to make good on this. Idk what but they will. 
I mean, not much they can do IMO.  After 10 or so festies and Coventry was the only ##### show that I know about (other than the 12 hours I spent on alligator alley in 99) then you have to imagine they have had some pretty good luck in regards to these things.  

It was nuts for me as I am in my mid 40s with 3 kids and desperately want to do a festival again before its all over.  I got the green light from my wife and started making plans, my buddy who I have seen phish with since 93 backed out about a month ago so I had no choice but to pull the plug.  I couldnt drive and do the whole thing by myself.  So if I did go I would be up there and super bummed.  Really debating on taknig my 15 year old to the next one.

and I would encourage any music fan to go to a phish festival, there is simply no way to put in words how amazing they are.  so much fun and zero, thats right zero corporate sponsorship.  Its an insane experience

I feel like the band will try to do something to make good on this. Idk what but they will. 
Doesn’t seem like there is much they can do, I’m sure they will come out firing at ****’s but tough to do much beyond that and offer up ticket refunds. The situation sucks but was beyond their control.

I haven’t really read the details but the only thing that I wondered about was the timing of the cancellation. When were they made aware of the issue? Was the hope that a solution could be found and they ran out of time?

Saturday night at ##### they'll spell out WE ARE SO VERY SORRY.

Already saw a rumor that next year the Summer Fest will be at Lime Rock raceway in CT.  Don't know a thing about that place.

Saturday night at ##### they'll spell out WE ARE SO VERY SORRY.

Already saw a rumor that next year the Summer Fest will be at Lime Rock raceway in CT.  Don't know a thing about that place.
There is a rumor on PT that says in 2019 Phish becomes a destination band just playing multiple nights at venues.  While its pretty close to what they are doing now I can see this happening due to the age of the band, the wear and tear it does and they know the fans will travel to wherever to see them.  There was an article during bakers dozen about how the band commented on how they like being set up for multiple shows and it makes them play better with little pressure and being stationed in one place for a length of time.

If they do a summer fest next year I will def try my hardest to make it.  They are simply like no other thing in rock and roll

There is a rumor on PT that says in 2019 Phish becomes a destination band just playing multiple nights at venues.  While its pretty close to what they are doing now I can see this happening due to the age of the band, the wear and tear it does and they know the fans will travel to wherever to see them.  There was an article during bakers dozen about how the band commented on how they like being set up for multiple shows and it makes them play better with little pressure and being stationed in one place for a length of time.

If they do a summer fest next year I will def try my hardest to make it.  They are simply like no other thing in rock and roll
I used to follow Panic around a lot and they've pretty much taken up this model for the past 2-3 years and I think the fans actually like it.  You can plan ahead, see more shows, spend less money, etc.  I'm all for it.    A NYE run, A 4 night Mexico run,  Dik's, Halloween, a summer Festival, 3 nights in ATL, a few nights in San Fran/LA, a couple of 3 night runs in the NE.  I think everyone would be happy with that.  

I heard the "19 in 19" rumors too about 19 shows at MSG next year.  

I used to follow Panic around a lot and they've pretty much taken up this model for the past 2-3 years and I think the fans actually like it.  You can plan ahead, see more shows, spend less money, etc.  I'm all for it.    A NYE run, A 4 night Mexico run,  Dik's, Halloween, a summer Festival, 3 nights in ATL, a few nights in San Fran/LA, a couple of 3 night runs in the NE.  I think everyone would be happy with that.  

I heard the "19 in 19" rumors too about 19 shows at MSG next year.  
I didnt know panic did this as well.  I mean touring has to be hell on you after 20+ years and I doubt any of those guys need the money.

The 19 in 19 would be fantastic, easy sell for the wife to go to NYC

Been thinking about just how many songs or titles are organic, especially with the whole "water" angle present. Here is a short list to which I am sure others may add:

Steam, Water in the Sky, Theme from the Bottom, Divided Sky, It's Ice, Wading in the Velvet Sea, Petrichor, Sand, Dirt, Thunderhead, Waves, A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing, Light, Tide Turns, Mercury

The menagerie: Wombat, Ocelot, Dogs Stole Things, Dog Log, Camel Walk, The Horse, Lizards, Llama, Scent of a Mule, Bug, Possum, Run Like an Antelope, Birds of a Feather, Guyute, Vultures

Anyone watching/listening tonight?

Phish revealed it's "costume" album.  Some "obscure" album from 1981 by a Norwegian band Kasvot Vaxt.  Everything found online about this band seems to have been created just recently.  So looks like an elaborate hoax by the band.  

It's after 11:00 and show hasn't even started, which means second set won't be until well after midnight.  Not sure I'll make it.

Anyone watching/listening tonight?

Phish revealed it's "costume" album.  Some "obscure" album from 1981 by a Norwegian band Kasvot Vaxt.  Everything found online about this band seems to have been created just recently.  So looks like an elaborate hoax by the band.  

It's after 11:00 and show hasn't even started, which means second set won't be until well after midnight.  Not sure I'll make it.
I found one web page that appears to be from 2005 which references this band and album. It is a blog from a radio station that looks legit. Phish could have created it themselves but I suspect it’s real and the album is not a hoax.

https://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/01/i-rokk-by-kasvot-vaxt.html

Here is a review with many comments below from fans sure it was a hoax...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHPqVt-w1jI
Oh, for real? Just logging on to say WMFU was king of the East, IMHO.  Even shouted out in "Ain't Got Nothing To Do" by the Dead Boys, IIRC. 

eta* Apparently I'm wrong. Must just be a fan of the station. overall. Sorry.  

eta2* I have an old friend that works for Phish, actually. That's why I always check in to the thread. 

Lots of people were disappointed when phish revealed they were playing their soon to be released wingsuit/fuego album in AC a few years ago.

so why not make up a band, litter the internet with made up blogs and interviews of the made up band, make up an album so everyone thinks it’s obscure and awesome...but it’s really just a new set of phish songs.

####### awesome.  

I cant stay awake for the west coast shows but I just downloaded it.  Heard it was great though.  

Tonight's show on Sirius JamOn.  If you don't have it, you can go to their website, hit listen, then search for jamon for some type of free preview.

2nd set just started.

Tonight's show on Sirius JamOn.  If you don't have it, you can go to their website, hit listen, then search for jamon for some type of free preview.

2nd set just started.
Crap...didn't know this.  Looks like maybe the show of the stand on paper.  

Anyone interested in splitting the 4 night MSG webcast?  Looks like it's $149......if I could get 2-3 others to go in I'd buy it and share my login and pw.  

Anyone interested in splitting the 4 night MSG webcast?  Looks like it's $149......if I could get 2-3 others to go in I'd buy it and share my login and pw.  
Thats just the 4k price.  You can get regular HD for $100.   I love phish, but $50 extra for 4k seems like a lot.  

I don't think you can share a login either.  I mean, you can share a login, but you can only stream the show on 1 device.  At least thats what I've been told.  

Users who are viewing this thread