What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (6 Viewers)

I think Jon Snow comes back as a white walker, but because he has Targaeryean (dragon) blood, it messes with the biology of it and he ends up being a good guy white walker.

Old hag melly has obviously given up on life at this point.  She ain't resurrecting nobody.

I have recently gone back to start reading Game of Thrones again, and watching the series.  I think HBO did a dis-service to the viewers by calling the series Game of Thrones - it leads viewers to think that this is a show that revolves around the Iron Throne - when the series is called a Song of Ice and Fire because it is about the final battle between Ice and Fire.  The Iron Throne stuff is simply ancillary to the over-arching story.

I have to think that when GRRM wrote Game of Thrones, he had the greatest clarity on how the story would flow - at least in a broad brush sense.  I don't think its a coincidence that the prologue gave us the Others/White Walkers, and the first chapter is from Bran's POV - and we spend the first two chapters learning of the key characters from the north, followed Daenerys, and then the key Lannisters - including Tyrion.  

Based on how we have seen the story told so far, I think Bran could be the narrator - telling the story of the great battle.  I think the starting point of the book - just days before Bran became a cripple, and set in motion his journey to becoming a tree - shows he is central in the story - either because he becomes all-knowing, or he ends up warging into one of the dragons in the end.

From there, I think we see a series of plot devices designed to get the key actors in place for the final show down.  We have to understand why Daenerys is across the narrow sea, and where the dragons originated - the continuation of her story is to simply give it time for the dragons to grow big enough to defeat an army.  I think it is quite clear that Tyrion is also a key figure in the end game.  The book notes at the outset his fascination with Dragons, despite them presumably being long gone from the world.  Everything that happens in his path shows that he has the brains to be a leader - he saved kings landing from Stannis - and that he needed a reason to be across the sea to meet up with the Dragons - killing his father and then going on the run was certainly a plausible plot device to get Tyrion to the other side of the world.  Jon Snow/Stark/Targaryen also seems to be the final character in the end game - too much is made of his parents for that not to be an important clue to the end.

If I had to guess - I think in the next couple of episodes, Jon will be revived.  We may get his parental info via Bran searching the memory banks of the trees.  Ultimately, Jon will leave the Wall with the wildings, and they will take Winterfell from the Boltons.  I think at the same time, the Lannisters will go to war with Dorne.  Neither are critical to the main story line - but I think we will see in episode 9 this year that the White Walkers attack the wall - successfully.  The Nights Watch will still be in disarray over the Jon Snow incident, Snow and the Wildings will not be around to help, and the Lannisters will also be unable to send reinforcements due to their engagement with Dorne.  So the Wall will be breached.

The white walkers will begin to conquer Westeros next season, setting the stage for the grand finale of Dragons v. White Walker Army, with Jon Snow playing the role of Azor Ahai.  Together - Daenerys, Tyrion, Jon, and Bran will win the day, and someone will write a song about the great victory... 

I really think HBO did viewers a disservice by using Sean Bean so much in the previews leading up to the show. That made everyone think it was a Ned Stark biopic.

Probably same broad strokes as books, but I think the Jon snow revival will have a lot more to it in the book. 

Killing off Roose?  Show is taking a lot of strange turns. 

Cannot wait for next week with the tower of joy!!!!

Meh.

So the priestess that lost her religion gives resurrection a shot and hey look at that, she can resurrect peeps. 
I'm stoked he's back and still loved that it was just him and Ghost but I think the effect would have been better if the resurrection failed and Jon rose from the funeral pyre with Long Claw, which Davos placed in the fire with Jon. 

He isn't going to finish the series I fear.  Which is a shame.  Because as all readers know, this could have been the GOAT fantasy series.  

I'm stoked he's back and still loved that it was just him and Ghost but I think the effect would have been better if the resurrection failed and Jon rose from the funeral pyre with Long Claw, which Davos placed in the fire with Jon. 
I loved Ghost's face while she was saying the mumble jumble.

Until the last two books I agreed with that statement.  He just doesn't know where to stop. 
Recently finished my re-read of the series and I just disagree. He probably introduced more angles than necessary for the over all story, but those books are great. The arc of Jaime and Dorne plot with the old town dovetail are great. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What should I know about the dude on the bridge? I never went back and watched every episode. Not scared of book stuff. 

Show feels very rushed. 
If rumors are right, it is just this season plus 2 short seasons, right?  Basically about 20 episodes left?  I am sure stuff is going to move since they are still hitting on book things with the Kingsmoot, etc.. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know what happened tonight, but can tell it's big and tasty.  Going to be hard to hold out on the HBO series if there's no release date for WOW soon.

Is this the first we've seen of Victarion Greyjoy in the show? And the priest guy was also Balon's brother right?

If rumors are right, it is just this season plus 2 short seasons, right?  Basically about 20 episodes left?  I am sure stuff is going to move since they are still hitting on book things with the Kingsmoot, etc.. 
Their will definitely be a prequel series as well.  Cash Money.  No Doubt.  

I'd expect 10 more years of GoT.  

EYLive said:
Who were those guys? I didn't recognize the knight.
No I don't think so.  When Jon wasn't fully dead, just mostly dead, he warned into the wolf.  Then when he came back to life it was simply him warging back into himself.  

Sabertooth said:
Feels like the tower of Joy has been shrouded in mystery so long that's just a myth.  This is a gigantic reveal when it happens.  
If they reveal everything about the Tower of Joy next week, I'll really have to wonder whether that's the way GRRM had it planned. I always expected that reveal to come near the end of the story, when Jon joins up with the dragons. I also though it would come through Howland Reed, who I think is the only survivor of that scene.

EYLive said:
Who were those guys? I didn't recognize the knight.

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them.

“We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered.

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell.

“When King's Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

“Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.”

“I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwynedipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

“Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

“We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

No I don't think so.  When Jon wasn't fully dead, just mostly dead, he warned into the wolf.  Then when he came back to life it was simply him warging back into himself.  
I think this is true, but the book shows you can't warg into a dead body, as that one wildling wargs into an animal before he dies. I think he could only warg back because the Red Witch made his body like Dondarrion's.

Users who are viewing this thread