What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vegas (5 Viewers)

Young or old I wouldn't drop that much money poolside.

Hell I snuck in my own vodka last time :)
Definitely depends on the pool... but benefits of dropping a little money include:

ENTRY:

For many pools General Admission or Presale lines can be kinda long if you're not there very early. When you book table/cabana/bed you skip the line and get walked to your spot.

SEATING:

Big party pools offer zero "free" chairs and limited pools edge seating (many don't allow guys to sit on the edge... or at least wont for the first part of the day. Meaning your options are standing in the pool all day (not the end of the world) or walking around and not sitting/laying anywhere. Getting a Cabana/Table/Daybed helps a lot here.

SERVICE:

Again, depending on the venue, but the big party pools can have long ### lines standing nuts to butts in a crowd of mostly half naked guys (girls are getting drinks bought from them or hanging with those who have bottle service). With service you've got a model-esque chick taking your orders and bringing drinks to you. Also runners getting anything else you need.

RESTROOM:

Need to piss? Lines can be brutal at some pools. With a Cabana/bed/table your security walks you to the front of the line skipping the wait.

PRICE:

The trick here is the bed/cabana/etc doesn't actually cost anything. It merely necessitates a minimum spend. If you're with a small group or not planning on drinking much... then it's a terrible investment. If you've got a good group of guys who are planning on drinking a bunch, you're probably going to spend $150-200/head before it's all said and done anyways... so why not be smart and get the other benefits for "Free" while you're at it.

Now, if you're at a slower pool... or have some devious manner to sneak in your own booze (most big pools search pretty well)... or you're not planning on drinking much.... it's definitely not worth committing to that sort of a tab.

That's the difference i never went to a party pool.

i went to a relaxing pool ;)

I've never paid to go to a pool

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep.. if thats the case then it's silly to go with cabanas and such. :thumbup:

What did ya do to sneak in the booze? Walk in with it in towel/pocket/bag?

Definitely depends on the pool... but benefits of dropping a little money include:

ENTRY:

For many pools General Admission or Presale lines can be kinda long if you're not there very early. When you book table/cabana/bed you skip the line and get walked to your spot.

SEATING:

Big party pools offer zero "free" chairs and limited pools edge seating (many don't allow guys to sit on the edge... or at least wont for the first part of the day. Meaning your options are standing in the pool all day (not the end of the world) or walking around and not sitting/laying anywhere. Getting a Cabana/Table/Daybed helps a lot here.

SERVICE:

Again, depending on the venue, but the big party pools can have long ### lines standing nuts to butts in a crowd of mostly half naked guys (girls are getting drinks bought from them or hanging with those who have bottle service). With service you've got a model-esque chick taking your orders and bringing drinks to you. Also runners getting anything else you need.

RESTROOM:

Need to piss? Lines can be brutal at some pools. With a Cabana/bed/table your security walks you to the front of the line skipping the wait.

PRICE:

The trick here is the bed/cabana/etc doesn't actually cost anything. It merely necessitates a minimum spend. If you're with a small group or not planning on drinking much... then it's a terrible investment. If you've got a good group of guys who are planning on drinking a bunch, you're probably going to spend $150-200/head before it's all said and done anyways... so why not be smart and get the other benefits for "Free" while you're at it.

Now, if you're at a slower pool... or have some devious manner to sneak in your own booze (most big pools search pretty well)... or you're not planning on drinking much.... it's definitely not worth committing to that sort of a tab.
Tiesto DJs at Wet Republic on Saturdays... Cabana minimum spend is $5k (plus 30% tax, gratuity, etc), $6,500 out the door.

15 person max.

last time I was at Aria, I think it helped I went by myself. My wife came after.

I saw them checking bags earlier. I saved hotel water bottles.

I filled 6 of them up I think. 3 with vodka, 3 with rum (clear rum).

I put down a towel in my back pack, then the bottles and a towel and then a couple bottles on top.

I walked in guy starts checking my bag asks do I have anything in it etc etc. "I said I have bottles of water, Can I not bring them in?"

He looked real quick and said "no that's ok. have a good day"

:shrug:

Maybe I got lucky and like I said I went in by myself :shrug:

I still bought sodas/juice. And if he questioned me I was just going to say sorry :lol:

Figure losing 20 worth of liqour from the liqour store was worth it :)

Was at Aria back in May - ordered 3 Breakfast Burritos and 3 Bloody Mary's poolside one morning - the tab? $110.00
Cabana at Wet Republic for next Saturday is $5k (small ink at the bottom: plus 30% tax and gratuity)... $6500 - Luckily we are 15. It really isn't that bad a deal when you do the math since each drink and meal is basically $20-$25 a piece.
Not. A. Bleeping. Chance. In. Hell.
:goodposting:

People are nuts imo for spending so much coin on cabanas, bottle service, etc.

last time I was at Aria, I think it helped I went by myself. My wife came after.I saw them checking bags earlier. I saved hotel water bottles.

I put down a towel in my back pack, then the bottles and a towel and then a couple bottles on top.

I walked in guy starts checking my bag asks do I have anything in it etc etc. "I said I have bottles of water, Can I not bring them in?"

I still bought sodas/juice. And if he questioned me I was just going to say sorry :lol:

When a single drink at the pool is $15-20, hell yeah it was a worthy gamble :lol: :thumbup:

I live and grew up around NYC... The cost of nightlife here is prob 5-10x anywhere else in the country excluding a few pockets in other DMA's.

The sticker shock of an expensive cabana, bottle service, etc. etc. doesn't ever surprise me. Over here it is pretty expected depending on what type of place you are going to that the cost of an alcoholic beverage will be between $10 and upwards of $25. Table service will cost $3-$500 per male. I guess if this isn't something I wasn't use to it would bother me, but I've basically dealt with this my entire life, so it doesn't.

Tiesto DJs at Wet Republic on Saturdays... Cabana minimum spend is $5k (plus 30% tax, gratuity, etc), $6,500 out the door.

15 person max.
You're talking the biggest DJ at the most overpriced pool... And cabanas are certainly more expensive.

We got a daybed in prime location for ditch Friday for 6 guys and it was $500 We got a daybed in a prime location at Daylight Saturday for 7 guys and our min spend was $1000.

If you don't know how not negotiate or who to talk to, you're gonna get run over. IMO wet republic is a significant step down from most of the top pools now anyways... At least from everything I read/hear. Way overpriced for sure.

Bottom line:

• If you're wiling to spend $200 on a 2 hour steak dinner... is $250-350 for an all day party with VIP treatment/booze that much of a stretch if you enjoy that sort of thing?

For those who don't dig the pool party vibe... of course it's not worth it to you :lol: IF you like pool parties and are going with groups of guys, will be drinking, and AREN'T talking to hosts about tables/beds/cabanas then you're screwing yourself out of some pretty nice perks for money you're already going to be spending.

ENTRY:

SEATING:

SERVICE:

RESTROOM:

PRICE:

15 person max.
You're talking the biggest DJ at the most overpriced pool... And cabanas are certainly more expensive.

We got a daybed in prime location for ditch Friday for 6 guys and it was $500

We got a daybed in a prime location at Daylight Saturday for 7 guys and our min spend was $1000.

If you don't know how not negotiate or who to talk to, you're gonna get run over. IMO wet republic is a significant step down from most of the top pools now anyways... At least from everything I read/hear. Way overpriced for sure.
My friend was out there 2 Saturdays ago and said it was one of the best days of his life.

The way I look at it is simple:

Admission: $60

Drinks: $20 per x 10

Food: $25 a plate

Locker: $40

I'm in for $325 for the day, why not spend an extra $100 and have the luxury of the cabana during the madness. You're on vacation, what is an extra $100?

I understand for some it doesn't make sense, personally I can't wait!

ETA: Waiting in line for drinks when Tiesto is the DJ takes 30 minutes for a drink, we have a waitress and fridges in our cabana too... I'm not wasting my day waiting for drinks.

See what gets me is i went out A LOT but in the 90s I go out have a great night at the club bar whatever and on a real crazy night maybe spend 200 bucks tops.

I don't know how the youngsters do it dropping all that coin for some drinks :offmylawn:

15 person max.

We got a daybed in prime location for ditch Friday for 6 guys and it was $500 We got a daybed in a prime location at Daylight Saturday for 7 guys and our min spend was $1000.

Bottom line:

• If you're wiling to spend $200 on a 2 hour steak dinner... is $250-350 for an all day party with VIP treatment/booze that much of a stretch if you enjoy that sort of thing?

For those who don't dig the pool party vibe... of course it's not worth it to you :lol:
wait it's only 250 to 350 for the whole day? Well sure that would be worth it.

I thought you were talking a couple hours

My problem is it's usually just me and the wife or 4 people MAX :moneybag:

See what gets me is i went out A LOT but in the 90s I go out have a great night at the club bar whatever and on a real crazy night maybe spend 200 bucks tops.

I don't know how the youngsters do it dropping all that coin for some drinks
Personally I don't go out all that often, so when I do, I need to have a great time / VIP / not worry about bull####... I do okay so it doesn't bother me, but there were a few people in our group that were moaning and groaning about the costs. They were outvoted and forced to come around.

15 person max.

Bottom line:

For those who don't dig the pool party vibe... of course it's not worth it to you :lol:
wait it's only 250 to 350 for the whole day? Well sure that would be worth it.

I thought you were talking a couple hours

My problem is it's usually just me and the wife or 4 people MAX :moneybag:
Pools generally open around 10 or 10:30 and run till 5 or 6. Peak times are usually 1 till an hour or so before close. So yeah, you're looking at potentially 7-8 hours to take advantage of your spot if you want it.. so the "cost" is definitely spread out over a wider period.

Yeah 4 people it may be worth something like a daybed if you wanted to do the pool party thing. Especially with women, they will usually cut your min spend a bit (particularly if you have a host connection and or it's not a peak day). Two couples could score a prime daybed for Daylight on saturday for $750+Tax/Tip or a bed a little off to the side for $500. With drinks being $25-30, food being $25, water and beer being ~$9-10...etc. If you're going to party, you're going to spend that money. Might as well get the real estate that comes with it. :shrug:

Now if you're just looking for a laid back day by the pool.... hell... hit the hotel pools, grab some chairs and relax. You'll still pay through the nose for drinks but there's no real value to the VIP setup since seating is easy to come by and drink/bathroom/entry lines are minimal. :thumbup:

My friend was out there 2 Saturdays ago and said it was one of the best days of his life.

The way I look at it is simple:

Admission: $60

Drinks: $20 per x 10

Food: $25 a plate

Locker: $40

I'm in for $325 for the day, why not spend an extra $100 and have the luxury of the cabana during the madness. You're on vacation, what is an extra $100?

I understand for some it doesn't make sense, personally I can't wait!

ETA: Waiting in line for drinks when Tiesto is the DJ takes 30 minutes for a drink, we have a waitress and fridges in our cabana too... I'm not wasting my day waiting for drinks.
Oh I'm right there with you. I'm just saying it doesn't have to be a $350-400/head affair.

I hate lines and the "VIP Treatment" we got when we booked beds was badass. We had a fridge/safe with our bed at Daylight as well and a slew of folks running around catering to whatever you needed. Was very cool. When I was in hte pool our runner would mix come grab my cup, top me off, then bring it back without even being asked. :thumbup:

#### waiting in lines on vacation.

last time I was at Aria, I think it helped I went by myself. My wife came after.I saw them checking bags earlier. I saved hotel water bottles.

When a single drink at the pool is $15-20, hell yeah it was a worthy gamble :lol: :thumbup:
Did this as well as at the Aria. Also carried in a "coffee" from Starbucks.. just carried it in. Got an empty cup with my coffee order. Drank the coffee and filled the empty cup with vodka. Walked in by myself - when I was asked if I had anything, no, just this coffee my wife forgot upstairs. They were like - oh ok - have a nice day.... HTH

Least surprising debate ever going down...

Older guys who will feel woefully out of place at pool/club would prefer grinding out epic BJ sessions and pounding free drinks till their eyeballs float.

Younger guys who can still run game and drink their weight would rather allocate that money for a wild day/nigh with scantily clad drunk coeds.

No harm in either and there is likely some crossover among the two. I'll say this: I have no problem droppjn $200 on a damn fine meal that might last 2 hours... Others don't bat an eye to spend $250 for 3 hours on the course.

In that same vein it's not that far fetched to imagine guys dropping 300--400 for 4-6 hours of getting blasted drunk listening to big name DJs while being waited on hand and foot by a 9 or 10 chick and surrounded by smoking hot half naked drunk coeds that are all likely looking to go home with someone as badly as you do. :shrug:
Yep.

Anyone ever done Vegas solo? Tips, tricks, advice welcomed. 40 year old guy that can drink like a fish and loves to gamble and party but hates clubs prefers bars.

Anyone ever done Vegas solo? Tips, tricks, advice welcomed. 40 year old guy that can drink like a fish and loves to gamble and party but hates clubs prefers bars.
I'm having to do this next week, turning 40 while I'm out there. We have a 3 month old so going for a conference on my own without the wife. Been to Vegas about 20 times but never solo. I'm not too worried about doing it solo but then again I can log massive hours gambling.

Heading to Vegas this afternoon for 3 nights. Staying at Cosmopolitan and plan to see rose.rabbit.lie, which is apparently on the way out the door there. Tacking on the Breakfast at Piffany's after show, which I'm really looking forward to. Might go see Absinthe for the third time...or maybe Chris Robinson at Brooklyn Bowl.

Other than that, just a lot of gambling and drinking.

Heading to Vegas this afternoon for 3 nights. Staying at Cosmopolitan and plan to see rose.rabbit.lie, which is apparently on the way out the door there.
Can you unpack this a bit? I've heard that RRL is awesome and am planning to see Vegas Nocturne there in early August. They pulling the plug? If they do, I guess I'll just go see Absinthe for the fourth time. Best. Show. Ever.

JB Breakfast Club said:
Heading to Vegas this afternoon for 3 nights. Staying at Cosmopolitan and plan to see rose.rabbit.lie, which is apparently on the way out the door there. Tacking on the Breakfast at Piffany's after show, which I'm really looking forward to. Might go see Absinthe for the third time...or maybe Chris Robinson at Brooklyn Bowl.

CRB at Brooklyn Bowl would be fantastic - great great band - and the room is really nice. Tickets are $8 a steal of a deal. I just paid $25 in Denver. The new O'Sheas is right down the street in case you miss it - not exactly the same but close in case you need to wash the hoity-toity off you from the Cosmo.

soothsayer said:
JB Breakfast Club said:
Heading to Vegas this afternoon for 3 nights. Staying at Cosmopolitan and plan to see rose.rabbit.lie, which is apparently on the way out the door there.
Can you unpack this a bit? I've heard that RRL is awesome and am planning to see Vegas Nocturne there in early August. They pulling the plug? If they do, I guess I'll just go see Absinthe for the fourth time. Best. Show. Ever.
Thinking about going to Absinthe, this weekend. Where do you need to sit to not get ####ed with?

The wife and I will be going for the third time in probably January or February (Bacchanal buffet here I come!). Does anyone have a good site for finding a list of all shows and comedians that far out?

JB Breakfast Club said:

Staying at Cosmo too. Hope to check out RRL on Saturday.

GTBilly said:
Yup. Was supposed to go for 6 days with a pal and have a friend from SD meet us out there. My pal couldn't make it last minute and the guy from SD stayed for two days.

Lots and lots of poker was the answer.

GTBilly said:
Yup. Was supposed to go for 6 days with a pal and have a friend from SD meet us out there. My pal couldn't make it last minute and the guy from SD stayed for two days.

:yes: Was there for a work with a coworker once, real weirdo... Spent a lot of time at the poker tables.

soothsayer said:
JB Breakfast Club said:
http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/kats-report/2014/jul/07/officials-mum-future-vegas-nocturne-show-reportedl/

Word is that the Vegas Nocturne show has been informed that they will close. There haven't been any press releases about it yet, but the amount of coverage it is receiving seems to give it credence.

As for Absinthe, they sell different levels of tickets. You won't get messed with if you are in the "standard" area...VIP covers the first few rows, and those are the people that Gaz picks on.

GTBilly said:

Yup I've done solo as well when my buddy had to back out last minute. Pretty much all of my time went into playing poker. I don't really have the personality to get drunk at bars/clubs by myself.

Sportsbooks (with drink tickets) can work solo as well. Everyone is usually looking for someone to discuss the games and their bets with. Good place to talk to strangers in my experience.

GTBilly said:
Single guy or involved?

Single: Fire up Tinder/Skout apps on your phone. Recruit partners in crime.

Married: Gambool and bar hop. No worries.

I went for march madness a few years back. Was supposed to go with 2 coworkers but both bailed last minute. I said #### it and went solo. Had a blast. Met up with Woz for some poker for a bit... met up with Chet for some billionaire kid's bachelor party at Blush in Wynn then played some black chip blackjack... then met up with Assani over at the poker room and donked on some 1/3NL till the wee hours.

But also just hit the books, hit the craps tables. Hit some bars. I'm a very social person so it was not hard to meet new folks. I get the vibe you're similar. Vegas is probably the BEST city for rolling solo. Go do what you want, when you want. literally thousands of options at every turn.

But if you're single... seriously, fire up the apps above and you'll have zero trouble recruiting company while you're there. I'm involved so I didn't do it, but have heard many success stories, and I used tinder for female marketing for BBQfest event with great success.

Great weekend in Vegas. The Cosmopolitan is the biggest party hotel I've ever stayed at. Never stayed at Mandalay so maybe that compares. Saturday night was crazy in the hotel. Hung out at Bamboo Pool on Friday but preferred the Boulevard pool and stayed there on Sat. and Sun. Great restaurants and bars, Holstein's for burgers, DOCG for Italian (had pizza at the bar at Trevi), a ton of others. Didn't get downtown (again!) and missed rose. rabbit. lie. Maybe next time. Got in some craps and blackjack. Highly recommend Cosmopolitan. :thumbup:

Was at Aria back in May - ordered 3 Breakfast Burritos and 3 Bloody Mary's poolside one morning - the tab? $110.00
Cabana at Wet Republic for next Saturday is $5k (small ink at the bottom: plus 30% tax and gratuity)... $6500 - Luckily we are 15. It really isn't that bad a deal when you do the math since each drink and meal is basically $20-$25 a piece.
Not. A. Bleeping. Chance. In. Hell.
:goodposting:

People are nuts imo for spending so much coin on cabanas, bottle service, etc.
Fraternity parties for 35 yr olds are expensive. "oMg - only $300 for hot chicks to bring me bottles? STEAL!"

To each their own. If I was single and 35 I'd have a blast with this stuff. If you're married or have a significant other and you're still dropping hundreds for pool parties, maybe time to look in the mirror.

:lol:

I guess for some, $200-300 is an exorbitant/divisive sum for an afternoon's entertainment in Vegas. :shrug:

Heading out Wednesday, will be there til Sunday. Got a conference but going on my own. Figuring likely some long double deck sessions.

Sportsbooks (with drink tickets) can work solo as well. Everyone is usually looking for someone to discuss the games and their bets with. Good place to talk to strangers in my experience.
Yup - never any problems feeling lonely in Vegas so long as you really like to play poker or bet on sports.

MB doesn't compare to Cosmo party wise. Nothing really does :)
Oh ok...yeah, it was pretty insane. Such a fun atmosphere.

What's up with all the people with kids, even infants on the streets of Vegas. Never noticed it that much before. And the walk in front of Bellagio at night used to be nice but now it's just infested with street vendors/performers/costumed idiots. What a mess.

Yup - never any problems feeling lonely in Vegas so long as you really like to play poker or bet on sports.
Agreed. I never went by myself on a trip until this one but certainly would have when I was a harder core gambler. I'm not too worried about it. Find a good poker table or even good blackjack or craps table and have a good time.

MB doesn't compare to Cosmo party wise. Nothing really does :)
Oh ok...yeah, it was pretty insane. Such a fun atmosphere.

What's up with all the people with kids, even infants on the streets of Vegas. Never noticed it that much before. And the walk in front of Bellagio at night used to be nice but now it's just infested with street vendors/performers/costumed idiots. What a mess.
Haven't noticed that in front of Bellagio. I saw a lot of that around Caesar's last time. However, I've always been struck by how many small children are there in strollers. I have a daughter who just turned 4 and another that's about to be 4 months old. No intention of ever carrying them out there. My wife is staying home this trip because of our youngest and it's just a little early to leave her with her parents.

:lol:

I guess for some, $200-300 is an exorbitant/divisive sum for an afternoon's entertainment in Vegas. :shrug:
Not sure why you don't understand that some of us, probably older guys with wives and kids, aren't all that excited about spending a day in Vegas at a pool party. I actually wouldn't do it if it was free. Just not my thing. Give me a few good buddies hanging out downtown drinking some bourbon and playing blackjack. I'll take that any day over a pool party.

But please, keep your 20-something buddies at the pool. I'd rather them stay there than clutter up the casino.

Got comped a free room at Monte Carlo so we are here for our 2nd time in a week. Tried the 20 dollar sandwich at check in and she tells me that they are completely sold out and there is nothing she can do. Then she pocketed the 20 bucks. Happy I didn't throw her a 50 like I debated.

Users who are viewing this thread