What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[icon]'s whiskey flipping thread (1 Viewer)

A coupleg

Been on a Jameson kick lately. Really smooth for the money. A glass of Jameson over ice is quite nice.
Just picked up some Jameson based on this threads recommendation.
Wow - I got the cheap bottle but it's extremely smooth as Doc mentions. Very impressed.
Not a fan of Jameson's. Much prefer Bushmill's
That's Protestant whiskey.
One of my favorite random lines of all time.

A coupleg

Been on a Jameson kick lately. Really smooth for the money. A glass of Jameson over ice is quite nice.
Wow - I got the cheap bottle but it's extremely smooth as Doc mentions. Very impressed.
And yet I was born Catholic. Don't much care about religion and certainly don't mix it with my whiskey

A coupleg

And yet I was born Catholic. Don't much care about religion and certainly don't mix it with my whiskey
I hope that you understand the reference.

UPDATE: Thread title still accurate 6+ years later. Enjoying Knob Creek tonight.

I've also developed a real taste for Basil Hayden over the past few months.

Also a Bushmill's guy. And a Protestant. And a fan of that line.

UPDATE: Thread title still accurate 6+ years later. Enjoying Knob Creek tonight.

,I like Basil, but I like it's cheaper brethren (OGD and OGD114) even more.

I have gotten into bourbons this last year and the ones that stood out to me and will be in regular rotation are Basil, Eagle Rare, 4 Roses Small Batch and Elmer Lee.

I had originally been anti the knob creek bourbon and found it decidedly worse than Eagle Rare.

However I recently got some of the 120 proof single barrell knob creek. My local grocery store apparently bought a barrell and bottled it with the specific barrel number and everything.

I found that to be a very good bourbon although 120 proof was way too hot and it needed a pretty good splash of water to make it drinkable.

My whiskey rotation is as follows:

Bourbon - Eagle Rare for me. Costco's Small Batch 101 proof bourbon for anytime we're mixing and for buddies that don't appreciate bourbon

Irish Whiskey - only in March - Red Breast Pot still 12

Scotch - Macallan 12 and Lavagulin if I'm lucky enough to be gifted a bottle

I had originally been anti the knob creek bourbon and found it decidedly worse than Eagle Rare.

However I recently got some of the 120 proof single barrell knob creek. My local grocery store apparently bought a barrell and bottled it with the specific barrel number and everything.

I found that to be a very good bourbon although 120 proof was way too hot and it needed a pretty good splash of water to make it drinkable.

Bourbon - Eagle Rare for me. Costco's Small Batch 101 proof bourbon for anytime we're mixing and for buddies that don't appreciate bourbon

Do yourself a favor and try some Templeton Rye. If you like Eagle Rare, you will like TR. Right now, it's my favorite whiskey.

jwb said:

Do yourself a favor and try some Templeton Rye. If you like Eagle Rare, you will like TR. Right now, it's my favorite whiskey.
It's been a few years since I last had a bottle of Templeton.

My first bottle, from Batch 2, was a gift from a good friend of mine. And what magnificent gift it turned out to be...probably the best damn liquor I can remember drinking.

This inevitably led me to start looking for more at my local liquor store. The manager simply chuckled and asked if I wanted to be put on the 'list', at which point he pulled out a sheet of paper with about 50 names and numbers of others wanting a bottle. I dutifully added my name to the 'list' and decided to widen my search. Liquor stores in the larger surrounding cities had none on the shelf and most had no interest in adding a new name to their already long list of local customers searching for a bottle. It was at this point that I would start to hear stories from liquor store managers about how people would follow the distribution truck around on it's route and buy every bottle.

Undeterred, I began a search of man-hunt proportions. Trips visiting extended family living in various Iowa small towns commonly started with conversations on if their town had a liquor store. In one particularly memorable trip, I was visiting my cousin and the topic of local liquor stores came up. He confirmed that his small town did indeed have a liquor store, but he strongly advised me to not visit there. With thirst overriding my higher cognitive functions, I ignored his advice and went to visit this liquor store. Upon arriving, I immediately noticed mine was the only car in the parking lot. 'Awesome', I thought, low traffic stores like this had a good chance of holding multiple bottles. Upon entering the store, I quickly realized the reason for an empty parking lot was because the store's current shoppers had likely not owned automobiles for quite some time. A couple of older gentlemen, sporting the classic meth head look, looked at me nervously while they perused the fortified wine shelf. Approaching the counter, I asked the grandmotherly looking store clerk if she had any Templeton Rye in stock. Puzzled for a moment, she gave a wide toothless grin and said yes, that the truck brought a case last week and she had no idea what to do with the stuff. I asked how much was a bottle and then made the mistake of asking what she wanted for the whole case. Like a shot, the two gentlemen previously engrossed in scratching their faces and deciding between a bottle of Thunderbird and Night Train, had overheard the conversation and were standing next me. The store clerk confirmed it was going to have to be a cash purchase to get a discount and my anxiety level began to rise. Consequences be damn, I pulled out a wad of twenties from my pocket and purchased the case. As it turns out, the worst I got from the two gentlemen was a request to crack open one my newly purchased bottles in the parking lot with them. I kindly declined their offer and beat ### out of there followed only by the cackling laughter of the store clerk. This ended my halcyon Batch 3 days.

Shortly after Templeton released Batch 4, the need to scour the countryside for a bottle began to subside. Local grocery and liquors stores would typically keep bottles on the shelf for a few days before selling out. I personally didn't consume many bottles from Batch 4 as I had a sizable backlog of Batch 3 bottles I was working on, but I did purchase and resell quite few to friends still looking for some. Batch 4 bottles were commonly priced a $45 and up.

Fast forward to today, Templeton literally sits in piles on the shelves around here. Normally priced at $36-$38 and commonly on sale for $32-34, its not uncommon to see it for sale behind the counter at gas stations/quick-marts. The last bottle I tried, I think it was from Batch 5, simply wasn't very good in my opinion and I've switched back my cheaper standby of Bulleit Rye. Without knowing for certain, my guess is the producer of Templeton has increased production to epic proportions and the quality has suffered. I'm sure I'll re-visit Templeton Rye at some point in the future, but at the moment, the allure is gone for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
jwb said:

My first bottle, from Batch 2, was a gift from a good friend of mine. And what magnificent gift it turned out to be...probably the best damn liquor I can remember drinking.

This inevitably led me to start looking for more at my local liquor store. The manager simply chuckled and asked if I wanted to be put on the 'list', at which point he pulled out a sheet of paper with about 50 names and numbers of others wanting a bottle. I dutifully added my name to the 'list' and decided to widen my search. Liquor stores in the larger surrounding cities had none on the shelf and most had no interest in adding a new name to their already long list of local customers searching for a bottle. It was at this point that I would start to hear stories from liquor store managers about how people would follow the distribution truck around on it's route and buy every bottle.

Undeterred, I began a search of man-hunt proportions. Trips visiting extended family living in various Iowa small towns commonly started with conversations on if their town had a liquor store. In one particularly memorable trip, I was visiting my cousin and the topic of local liquor stores came up. He confirmed that his small town did indeed have a liquor store, but he strongly advised me to not visit there. With thirst overriding my higher cognitive functions, I ignored his advice and went to visit this liquor store. Upon arriving, I immediately noticed mine was the only car in the parking lot. 'Awesome', I thought, low traffic stores like this had a good chance of holding multiple bottles. Upon entering the store, I quickly realized the reason for an empty parking lot was because the store's current shoppers had likely not owned automobiles for quite some time. A couple of older gentlemen, sporting the classic meth head look, looked at me nervously while they perused the fortified wine shelf. Approaching the counter, I asked the grandmotherly looking store clerk if she had any Templeton Rye in stock. Puzzled for a moment, she gave a wide toothless grin and said yes, that the truck brought a case last week and she had no idea what to do with the stuff. I asked how much was a bottle and then made the mistake of asking what she wanted for the whole case. Like a shot, the two gentlemen previously engrossed in scratching their faces and deciding between a bottle of Thunderbird and Night Train, had overheard the conversation and were standing next me. The store clerk confirmed it was going to have to be a cash purchase to get a discount and my anxiety level began to rise. Consequences be damn, I pulled out a wad of twenties from my pocket and purchased the case. As it turns out, the worst I got from the two gentlemen was a request to crack open one my newly purchased bottles in the parking lot with them. I kindly declined their offer and beat ### out of there followed only by the cackling laughter of the store clerk. This ended my halcyon Batch 3 days.

Shortly after Templeton released Batch 4, the need to scour the countryside for a bottle began to subside. Local grocery and liquors stores would typically keep bottles on the shelf for a few days before selling out. I personally didn't consume many bottles from Batch 4 as I had a sizable backlog of Batch 3 bottles I was working on, but I did purchase and resell quite few to friends still looking for some. Batch 4 bottles were commonly priced a $45 and up.

Fast forward to today, Templeton literally sits in piles on the shelves around here. Normally priced at $36-$38 and commonly on sale for $32-34, its not uncommon to see it for sale behind the counter at gas stations/quick-marts. The last bottle I tried, I think it was from Batch 5, simply wasn't very good in my opinion and I've switched back my cheaper standby of Bulleit Rye. Without knowing for certain, my guess is the producer of Templeton has increased production to epic proportions and the quality has suffered. I'm sure I'll re-visit Templeton Rye at some point in the future, but at the moment, the allure is gone for me.
Good story.

I find Templeton much, much better than Bulleit (I'll use my remaining Bulleit to make old fashioneds). I didn't try it prior to a year ago, so I have no idea if the older stuff was better, but to me, it's definitely a choice whiskey, and a part of the main rotation.

Never had Templeton, but I'd have a hard time believing it's much better than Bulleit, or any of the other half dozen Ryes made at the same place, with the same recipe.

Bulleit and Dickel Rye are both very good, 90-proof, and $30. It's hard to imagine an 80-version of the same juice with no age statement is really worth $42.

Picked up a bottle of Mellow Corn over weekend, mostly out of cheap curiosity. I expected rot gut, but it's actually pretty good. Not complex and not a ton of of that rich caramel/vanilla bourbony profile, but a very pleasant sweetness nonetheless.

It's nice to have out of curiosity, but I think it's worth keeping in the cabinet for it's taste alone.

The fact that they are selling this for $9, at 100 proof and 4 years old makes the rest of this stupid "legal moonshine" market look really dumb. People paying $20+ for unaged 80-proof white dog is just crazy.

MillerCoors is sick of losing market share to spirits, so they are coming out with Miller Fortune, a "bourbon flavored beer" that they want bartenders to serve in a rocks glass.

No word yet on what makes it bourbon flavored.

Seems like a horrible idea, but I think Bud's actually doing pretty well with the Black Crown garbage, so who knows.

http://www.businessinsider.com/millercoors-debuts-miller-fortune-2014-1

MillerCoors is sick of losing market share to spirits, so they are coming out with Miller Fortune, a "bourbon flavored beer" that they want bartenders to serve in a rocks glass.

Seems like a horrible idea, but I think Bud's actually doing pretty well with the Black Crown garbage, so who knows.

Awful idea.

From what I've found, anything worth it's salt, when it comes to bourbon flavored beers, are usually seasonal. To try and capture an everyday market from this is an exercise in futility.

Awful idea.

From what I've found, anything worth it's salt, when it comes to bourbon flavored beers, are usually seasonal. To try and capture an everyday market from this is an exercise in futility.
Why don't they just start making their own bourbon?

Made Belle Meade Old Fashioneds tonight for me and the missus.

I am not a real Bourbon or whiskey drinker, but once in a while nothing beats it.

Need a gift for a guy who is a big fan of Gentleman Jack. Thoughts on something similar in the $75 range?

Glad to see Templeton Rye mentioned in here, as it's become one of my favorites. First sampled some in 2008 when it was given as a gift at a friend's bachelor party. Found a place locally that sells it about a year ago and usually have a bottle on hand. It's the only whiskey I ever drink neat. I prefer everything on the rocks but somehow watering down Templeton just seems wrong.

Night before the Super Bowl...A finger of Eagle left in the bottom of the bottle.

Sloppy. Gotta take care of that. Right now.

Finally found a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle. Local liqueur store had one bottle of the 15 year.

Also had a friend bring over a bottle of Macallan 18 year for the Super Bowl.

Suddenly I have hundreds of dollars worth of whiskey on my hands.

Glad to see Templeton Rye mentioned in here, as it's become one of my favorites. First sampled some in 2008 when it was given as a gift at a friend's bachelor party. Found a place locally that sells it about a year ago and usually have a bottle on hand. It's the only whiskey I ever drink neat. I prefer everything on the rocks but somehow watering down Templeton just seems wrong.
There is nothing wrong, however, with vermouthing and bittering down Templeton. It's quite lovely in a Manhattan.

Don't know if you are telling the truth or recanting a story but about halfway through batch two, they found out that there were many inconsistencies with their rye. It all had to do with height stacking of barrel and would influence taste, nose, body, and proof of their product. Because of that they went from single barrel to small batch and now bottle up to 20 barrels at a time from various heights in the rick house

**SPOILER ALERT** For Justified.

If you like the show and have not seen Season 5, Episode 5, read no further.

Okay. Did Anyone else notice that when Art had his "career" bust of Theo Tonin, that they switched from Blanton's to Pappy Van Winkle in his office?

I thought that was awesome. Also, when he's getting ready to go home...he's going to put it in his SAFE.

God, I love that show. And bourbon.

**SPOILER ALERT** For Justified.

If you like the show and have not seen Season 5, Episode 5, read no further.

Okay. Did Anyone else notice that when Art had his "career" bust of Theo Tonin, that they switched from Blanton's to Pappy Van Winkle in his office?

I thought that was awesome. Also, when he's getting ready to go home...he's going to put it in his SAFE.

God, I love that show. And bourbon.
I didn't notice the switch, but I do love the amount of camera time bourbon gets on the show.

Wynn Duffy's old boss always drank Pappy ("oh, he'll have a kick")

That judge a few seasons ago always drank Blanton's.

It was nice to see Boyd reach for the Elmer T. Lee tonight, God rest his soul.

Alro always, and at times, Raylan, reached for the Turkey.

Art's always got a nice collection in that safe

Stopped at a dive bar in middle of nowhere for a drink and Crown was best they had to offer. Double neat and I was pleasantly surprised. Very smooth and drinkable. I've always viewed Crown in the same class as Jack&Jim, fine for amatuer hour mixing but not worthy as a sipper. Guess I was wrong. Doubt I will ever order it if other options are available but good to know it is there if I need it.

Almost finished with a High West Double Rye at home, fantastic rye for $35-40. Seems to have a little more depth than the Dickel/Bulleit/KC varieties. Worth trying out if you like the rye.

Been spending some more time with Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star lately and I'm still shocked at how good this stuff is. I'd highly recommend grabbing a bottle if you see it.

The AAA 10-year was discontinued to get more juice for Elmer T. Lee and I wouldn't be shocked if 10 Star suffered a similar fate at some point. Hell, I think the could change the name/label and rebrand it as a $25 bourbon to be BT Mashbill #2's counter part to BT Mashbill #1 (Buffalo Trace brand).

It's so cheap and delicious. It's surpassed Evan Williams (all varieties) as my favorite bottom shelfer.

Nice rye spice with a beautifully balanced sweetness. Some licorice, baking spice, and cinnamon going on. For some reason, it makes me think of iced tea too.

My olfactory system gets weird sometimes. The cinnamon flavor in the last few bourbons I've had has been staying with me the next day. Anybody else get this with cinnamon?

Fireball is no sippin whiskey but it is mighty tasty when you are looking to get a group of people f'd up as a fftoday member's checkbook.

Two varieties I have been enjoying recently are:

1. Town Branch Bourbon: Latest stop on the Ky Bourbon Trail, this is a very nice bourbon that can be hard to find but is generally affordable ($30/btl)

2. Masterson's Rye: Canadian distillery (conflicting info as to whether it's the same one that produces Whistlepig). About $65/bottle, but it's a real nice rye. A little smoother than your typical peppery rye

Both are worth trying if you come across them

Michters Straight Rye

First rye I've had that tastes like it was treated like bourbon. Really intense oak. Nice break from your standard bourbon without straying too far from the pack.

Right here, right now. :coffee: The emoticon is proper in context, by the way.

Spent some time with both Elmer T. Lee and his little brother, Ancient Ancient Age, last night.

ETL was absolutely delicious.

It's not terribly distinguishable from AAA. Both have those rich baking spices and beautiful overall balance.

I'm excited about some more time to flush out the differences.

I know I've preached about AAA before, but seriously, if you are a fan of Elmer and care at all about saving a few bucks, pick up a bottle of AAA. Very similar profile, same mashbill, same proof, but a third of the price.

Elmer's certainly worth the $30. AAA just happens to be crazy value at $12

Big fan of ETL. I haven't seen it on shelves around here for a while.

Just polished off a bottle of Masterson's Rye. Good, but not $70 worth of good IMO.

Big fan of ETL. I haven't seen it on shelves around here for a while.

Just polished off a bottle of Masterson's Rye. Good, but not $70 worth of good IMO.
I assume there's been a big run since his passing. People wanting to get a bottle that might've still been selected by Lee.

I've also heard of just general Buffalo Trace shortages in places out West.

Spent some time with both Elmer T. Lee and his little brother, Ancient Ancient Age, last night.ETL was absolutely delicious.It's not terribly distinguishable from AAA. Both have those rich baking spices and beautiful overall balance.I'm excited about some more time to flush out the differences.I know I've preached about AAA before, but seriously, if you are a fan of Elmer and care at all about saving a few bucks, pick up a bottle of AAA. Very similar profile, same mashbill, same proof, but a third of the price.Elmer's certainly worth the $30. AAA just happens to be crazy value at $12
I'll have to check this out. Big fan of Elmer T. Lee. Currently working on some Knob Creek, but I don't like it near as much. A little rough right out of the gate for my palate. Had Eagle Rare for the first time last weekend (don't drink often, and generally then it's a bucket of macro brews watching a game) and that was damn good too.

Just got some nice new additions from a guy off craigslist...

2011 Thomas H Handy

2013 George T Stagg

Orphan Barrel Barterhouse

Orphan Barrel Old Blowhard

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread