What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's a Wonderful Life (1 Viewer)

IHATEIT"SA WONDEFULLIFEThis movie is pure dreck. It is pure crap.It is sugar coated so bad that diabetics cannot watch itI do not understand all the love for it. It isn't even a Christmas film. Sure it took place during Christmas but it isn't about that. It's about how much one can be important to the others. Why is it pegged as a Christmas film? Hell, they didn't even get the stolen money back at the end! They had to have the townspeople bail the ******* out!Crap crap crap crap
Scrooge

Deepster said:
It's a Christmas tradition. I sit there, pop it in and soak in some George Bailey for 2 hours and 10 minutes.Seriously. How great is this movie? Jimmy F'n Stewart is timeless in this flick. So many memorable scenes. At times? Sure, it gets a little 'dusty' in the Deepster house.Who's with me? Hee Haw!!!!
:mellow: oh and Donna Reed = DIH
Donna is smoking hot in this movie. She is top 10 all time for me.

It is on NBC tonight at 8pm ET...
I haven't perused the listings, but is this ONLY on NBC (and I suppose, only on tonight)??? That's the gist I get from the promos, is that it's ONLY on NBC. Seems like in recent years that it's been on a dozen networks, airing just about every night between Thanksgiving and Christmas, occasionally colorized (blasphemy!). Did NBC acquire exclusive rights or something?

It is on NBC tonight at 8pm ET...
I haven't perused the listings, but is this ONLY on NBC (and I suppose, only on tonight)??? That's the gist I get from the promos, is that it's ONLY on NBC. Seems like in recent years that it's been on a dozen networks, airing just about every night between Thanksgiving and Christmas, occasionally colorized (blasphemy!). Did NBC acquire exclusive rights or something?
Yes, I believe NBC acquired an exclusive on the movie, which is why it's not played ad nauseum on every local channel.IIRC, NBC usually replays it on Christmas Eve.

Just saw SNL's version of the lost ending of Wonderful Life last night. :wub: Dana Carvey did a great Jimmy Stewart.

I love this movie - yes it's a sappy ending, but this movie gets it right.

I'm heading to see this as a "musical" tonight in Houston. Anybody seen it done as a musical? How was it? Are they going to just completely butcher the whole thing? This is stuff I need to know if anybody's got info.

"Hey look, mister - we serve hard drinks in here for men who want to get drunk fast, and we don't need any characters around to give the joint "atmosphere". Is that clear, or do I have to slip you my left for a convincer?" :shrug: ;)
Nick: [slamming a bottle on the bar] That's it. Out you two pixies go - through the door, or out the window.

IHATEIT"SA WONDEFULLIFEThis movie is pure dreck. It is pure crap.It is sugar coated so bad that diabetics cannot watch itI do not understand all the love for it. It isn't even a Christmas film. Sure it took place during Christmas but it isn't about that. It's about how much one can be important to the others. Why is it pegged as a Christmas film? Hell, they didn't even get the stolen money back at the end! They had to have the townspeople bail the ******* out!Crap crap crap crap
Its a Christmas movie because it played constantly in public domain during Christmas during 70's and 80's. I think the record I recall is at about midnight on Christmas Eve seeing it concurently on 15 channels, including 2 in Spainish.
;) I didn't even have cable back then and I remember 5 of the 10 channels I had showing it at the same time.

George Bailey: What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. Hey. That's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon, Mary.Mary: I'll take it. Then what?George Bailey: Well, then you can swallow it, and it'll all dissolve, see... and the moonbeams would shoot out of your fingers and your toes and the ends of your hair... am I talking too much?
Man on Porch: Why don't you kiss her instead of talking her to death?George Bailey: You want me to kiss her, huh?Man on Porch: Ah, youth is wasted on the wrong people.

Has to at least be in the conversation.

At a high level it's a good old feelgood Christmas classic. But beyond that, the subtleties and the stuff below the surface is what makes this one of the all-time greats.

It's a great example of how simple life seemed back then. And man, what a genuinely good guy George Bailey is, and how incredibly likeable he is -- and yet, in a departure from Christmas movie cheesedom, he's not perfect. Like his character would in the real world, he sometimes gets moody and surly and impatient. He gets jealous of his buddy Sam Wainright who moved away to big New York City and became a big shot. It really eats at him -- he wanted to get away, to see the world, to build things, to move to the big city, but he never got that chance. He is too proud sometimes. He is torn between his romantic view of the adventure that life should be in his head, and yet shows his interest in the material parts of life (like when he nearly accepts Mr. Potter's offer to come and work for him) and ultimately gets caught up in a girl, and a family, same as everyone. Jimmy Stewart is such a wonderful actor and just absolutely nails the part. He is George Bailey. Both at the surface, and in all of these nuances, he plays it perfectly.

And the dialogue is just wonderful and so clever. In some places it's downright funny. And despite how simple life seemed back then, there are some great almost racy nuances that remind you things really haven't changed all that much -- like when the guys and BSing in the street and Violet walks by, and they all stop and stare mouths agape, and then very subtly Bert the cop mumble rushes off to see his wife. Awesome!

Then you've got some more obvious imagery, like the crow in the scene every time things are about to go bad. What other stuff have I missed here?

All in all, just such a fantastic movie.

Has to at least be in the conversation.

At a high level it's a good old feelgood Christmas classic. But beyond that, the subtleties and the stuff below the surface is what makes this one of the all-time greats.

It's a great example of how simple life seemed back then. And man, what a genuinely good guy George Bailey is, and how incredibly likeable he is -- and yet, in a departure from Christmas movie cheesedom, he's not perfect. Like his character would in the real world, he sometimes gets moody and surly and impatient. He gets jealous of his buddy Sam Wainright who moved away to big New York City and became a big shot. It really eats at him -- he wanted to get away, to see the world, to build things, to move to the big city, but he never got that chance. He is too proud sometimes. He is torn between his romantic view of the adventure that life should be in his head, and yet shows his interest in the material parts of life (like when he nearly accepts Mr. Potter's offer to come and work for him) and ultimately gets caught up in a girl, and a family, same as everyone. Jimmy Stewart is such a wonderful actor and just absolutely nails the part. He is George Bailey. Both at the surface, and in all of these nuances, he plays it perfectly.

And the dialogue is just wonderful and so clever. In some places it's downright funny. And despite how simple life seemed back then, there are some great almost racy nuances that remind you things really haven't changed all that much -- like when the guys and BSing in the street and Violet walks by, and they all stop and stare mouths agape, and then very subtly Bert the cop mumble rushes off to see his wife. Awesome!

Then you've got some more obvious imagery, like the crow in the scene every time things are about to go bad. What other stuff have I missed here?

All in all, just such a fantastic movie.
Very good movie. Not best ever.It's Christmas. You are probably forgetting to add the nostalgia/glad tidings/drinking into the equation. Of course it's one of the best movies of all time on Christmas. Watch it in July and report back.

It has a good beat, but you can't dance to it. Oh wait, sorry, this is not American Bandstand.

But it is a bit boring at times. Great movie still.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see a remake.
:confused: You know it would be so overly sappy and probably too effects-laden (just imagine what some nerd with a computer would want to do with the angel...). Black and white, with old-school actors who understood subtly is the only way this movie feels right.

I agree that there is a lot of depth to this movie. It's definitely underrated.

I give it a :confused: I forgot how do you know an angel just earned his wings?

Last edited by a moderator:
We were talking about this very thing yesterday...Wizard of Oz and It's A Wonderful Life are all-time greats. I also cast a vote for Sound of Music but was rejected.

I'm always surprised by the line when George and Mary are in her house and the mom asks what's going on and Mary responds, "He's making violent love to me, mother." Seems awfully risque for the time period and would likely get you a timeout here.

Since i made a point of watching IAWL but once a year, it's grown tremendously in my esteem. I still get a helluva kick out of Bert the Cop wanting to check home for an afternoon delight after watching Violet walking down the street. And that's what makes Capra characters great - the juxtaposition of a complicated, conflicted or eccentric citizenry with their unquestioning sense of purpose when times require is a near-perfect illiustration of the America that won a world war on two fronts. And the radiance of love in Donna Reed's pure, clear face is the reason why of reasons why. Finestkind.

I love it, but I'm still pissed that
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();
Good lookin' out, but I don't think a spoiler alert is required for a 64-year old movie.60 years is the cutoff.

I love it, but I'm still pissed that
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***
");document.close();
Good lookin' out, but I don't think a spoiler alert is required for a 64-year old movie.60 years is the cutoff.

Last month I may have agreed with you, but when I recently discovered how many people have never seen the original True Grit, I figure there's no such thing as a cutoff anymore.

I love this movie for so many reasons.

It seems every few years, it shows me something different. I pick up on some subtle nuance or a scene seems to touch me in a different way than before.

And I've already given fair warning to this board before...they greenlight a remake and I'm going on a spree.

Users who are viewing this thread