What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike and the Mad Dog show (Not Done!) (1 Viewer)

What's he pull a year?
Thought to be about 5 million a year
No way in hell. Are you guys serious? For FM radio?
660AM for years and years. Added FM recently.
Man that's what somebody like Nick Saban makes a year. Nuts.
Well, we're not talking about some college radio station in Idaho. He's dominated the biggest market in the country on a blowtorch station forever.
I just didn't think any talk radio host made that kind of money, anywhere.

What's he pull a year?
Largest media market in America. Most name recognition of any talk radio host. It's awful but true.
What did Stern make when he was still over the air?

About halfway down - way back then, Mike & MD were paid $2.7M (combined) from WFAN. YES gave them another $165-200K per year. Who knows what Fatso gets for Miked Up, he's only there about 20 times a year.

Plus 1-2 million from YES
Jebus, I'd never guess it was anywhere near that amount.

Here's a good exercise, find out what Benigno and Roberts are making. Gee, big surprise Mike treats them like excrement on his shoe?

I've said it before, I'd never want to be really rich. Pay off the mortgage and live comfortably, sure, but I'd always want to enjoy being around people and not above people.

What's he pull a year?
Largest media market in America. Most name recognition of any talk radio host. It's awful but true.

About halfway down - way back then, Mike & MD were paid $2.7M (combined) from WFAN. YES gave them another $165-200K per year. Who knows what Fatso gets for Miked Up, he's only there about 20 times a year.
He stopped doing Mike'd Up. CBS2 kept the name though so Mike had to change the name of his radio show. That's why it changed from Mike Dup to Mike Zahn

-QG

Followed by Mushnick's column right after the incident:

Mike Francesa’s Master of the Universe Complex has become too profound to any longer be regarded as funny. He’s becoming sad, pathetic. And unless he gets hold of himself — as unlikely as that is — he’ll remain a clear and present danger to himself, the last to take him seriously.Francesa, still the top sports radio listen here — aided in large part by a lack of competition — has sustained and confused his popularity, unaware that car wrecks draw crowds.Two weeks ago, there was that brazenly dishonest Al Alburquerque episode, transparent to all except Francesa. Although he presents himself as a baseball expert, he’d never heard of the Tigers’ third-year reliever — who just had pitched against the Yankees in the ALDS — thus, when a caller brought up Alburquerque’s name, Francesa slam-dunked the phone, as if a prank caller had slipped through.Later, after learning off-air Al Alburquerque is for real, he might have apologized to that caller and admitted his mistake. Instead, he lied his way in deeper, claiming he knows Alburquerque as Alberto Jose Alburquerque, likely meaning Francesa and Alburquerque’s mother are the only two. :lmao:Last week, same thing. Although he regards himself as an unparalleled NFL expert, a widely reported story escaped him: Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall, extremely talented but just as troubled — his presence and participation in felonious street crime and domestic violence has been steady — months ago was clinically diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder.Although such diagnoses often lead to cynicism (Don’t we all have such lines that we border?), that’s not the point. The professional diagnosis was BPD.So when Marshall, with tonight’s Dolphins-Jets game on his fragile mind, spewed delusional inanities, both his words and disorder made more news. Except Francesa, the condescending, conceited, big-talking expert on all matters was the last to know.Thus, when a caller matter-of-factly stated that Marshall has BPD, Francesa stopped him cold, belittled him, hollered at him, indignantly demanded to know — without allowing the caller to answer — if he’s a psychiatrist, if he examined Marshall, if he has any idea what he’s talking about. And then, bully that he is, Francesa slam-dunked the phone.Minutes later, clearly having been informed off-air that Marshall in facthasbeen clinically declared to have BPD, Francesa returned to the issue — not to apologize to that abused, ridiculed and bullied caller, nor to admit his error — but to again perform his transparent liar’s dance, the Megalomaniac’s Waltz, as if he, of course, was well aware of Marshall’s BPD (Who isn’t?), but regards that as no excuse for Marshall’s antisocial behavior.But what of Francesa’s now ceaseless antisocial behavior? The Emperor’s same old new clothes. For his sake, before whatever corpuscle of credibility he may still have is destroyed from the inside, out, it’s time for a new wardrobe.

I liked when he tried to defend himself "not" falling asleep on the air because his son was up the entire night before with an asthma attack. My son has asthma. If he has an asthma attack, I give him a puff of Albuterol or a treatment with the nebulizer and all is fine. Takes no longer then 15 minutes. If the kid still had asthma after the treatment you take him to the ER. Friggin guy is such a liar and blaming it on his kids. Loser.

Premier said:
Tremendous Upside said:
Premier said:
Tremendous Upside said:
Premier said:
What's he pull a year?
I think around $20m per year, but that was also syndicated in tons of markets.

just heard the Idzik interview, holy crap, what a slimeball. Nonstop accusatory questions for a guy who just got a GM job and has no negative track record. It was almost like he was a prosecutor cross examining a murder suspect on the stand.

He asked him about 10 different times if Rex was on the hot seat and Idzik said every time that he wasnt but the fatso wouldnt just leave it alone and kept badgering.

, this dude just hates every Jets player or personell he very encounters.

:confused: The FAN will still be on 101.9.

That's what they did in Philadelphia. 610AM (WIP) was the sports station for like 25 years. About 1.5-2 years ago, they began simulcasting on 94.1 FM. Then, earlier this year, 610 switched over to the CBS sports radio national station.

Francesa's complaints about not being on AM are a little overblown, I think, though WFAN certainly has more of a national presence than WIP. I don't know what difference it is really going to make, anyway, as the radio market is getting more and more fragmented and moving toward internet transmission. I have to assume that most people looking to listen to WFAN out of market will do so via streaming.

That's what they did in Philadelphia. 610AM (WIP) was the sports station for like 25 years. About 1.5-2 years ago, they began simulcasting on 94.1 FM. Then, earlier this year, 610 switched over to the CBS sports radio national station.

Francesa's complaints about not being on AM are a little overblown, I think, though WFAN certainly has more of a national presence than WIP. I don't know what difference it is really going to make, anyway, as the radio market is getting more and more fragmented and moving toward internet transmission. I have to assume that most people looking to listen to WFAN out of market will do so via streaming.
Forget that you can catch WFAN up and down the east coast on AM radio for a second...there are some parts of NYC where you can't get decent FM signals.

Ok. I'm guessing that the stations have some idea of why they are doing what they are doing, though I think they are probably destined to fail regardless.

Forget that you can catch WFAN up and down the east coast on AM radio for a second...there are some parts of NYC where you can't get decent FM signals.
in NYC for example

I personally think that he's covering his gigantic a$$, so if his ratings fall, he can blame it on the transition to an all FM station

How are his ratings and does the FAN have any legit competition in NYC?
ESPN radio never got the traction even if they have a much more appealing on-air cast for the casual fan

Mike and Mike has to have as much appeal as Boomer and Carton

Joe and Evan is just horrible, I'd listen to the Herd every day of the week, but Lupica is awful

Stephen A is a clown but he's better than Joe and Evan

Mike is a blowhard but still has a bigger voice than Michael Kay, although honestly the Kay show is not bad

Summers is a snoozefest, the guys in the evening on ESPN have been better for years. although I'm not happy they got rid of Bill Daughtery

the overnight FAN group is dreadful

He was extremely reluctant to go FM-only. It was posted somewhere earlier in the thread (I think?), but the rumor was that they gave him more money when he signed the extension in order to placate him in the event that it actually happens.

I personally think that he's covering his gigantic ###, so if his ratings fall, he can blame it on the transition to an all FM station
Nope. I still listen on 660 - the FM goes in and out too much.

It's a horrible decision if they do this. Keep the garbage Jim Rome stuff in the yokel markets where it belongs.

-QG

ESPN radio never got the traction even if they have a much more appealing on-air cast for the casual fan

Mike and Mike has to have as much appeal as Boomer and Carton

Joe and Evan is just horrible, I'd listen to the Herd every day of the week, but Lupica is awful

Stephen A is a clown but he's better than Joe and Evan

Mike is a blowhard but still has a bigger voice than Michael Kay, although honestly the Kay show is not bad

Summers is a snoozefest, the guys in the evening on ESPN have been better for years. although I'm not happy they got rid of Bill Daughtery

the overnight FAN group is dreadful
I won't listen to Carton under any circumstances. Haven't been able to stand him since his fake "Jersey Guys" days (he lived in Pennsylvania the whole time)

Mike and Mike is okay but the zillion commercials has me flipping to news radio.

Joe and Evan, eh - except when their teams play like crap. Cowherd I can only take in small doses though.

Francesa is way more :popcorn: than Kay. And the Billy Joel sign-off that Kay uses is only 2nd to the Flo progressive commercials in the "annoying things that make me switch the station category"

I like Somers. He's a classic. I like Tony Page too. The national guys on ESPN are okay but whatever garbage CBS sports radio puts on will be garbage I'm sure. I remember the time WFAN put Ferrell's syndicated show on in the evenings - it was an unmitigated disaster and a short lived experiment.

NY-area teams are not gonna wanna be on FM. Part of why these teams have bigger followings is because you can hear them far and wide.

-QG

Getting back to what I wrote yesterday for a moment...

To one caller, and I quote: "I didn't do it [the interview] so that you'd like it. My goalwasn't to make you like the interview. My goal was to do the interview I want to do.Whether you like it or not [doesn't matter]."==============================That quote sums up his entire career. I mean, why on earth would a radio host carewhat his LISTENERS think??? At the end of the same phone call, he reaffirmed hissuperiority, telling the caller that he's been doing this for 25 years and "nobody isclose in ANYTHING that you can judge me on" and "I must be doing something right."
It's hilarious that he thinks he gets ratings because he's great. :lmao:

Mushnick, as usual, nailed it.

Francesa, still the top sports radio listen here — aided in large part by a lack of competition — has sustained and confused his popularity, unaware that car wrecks draw crowds.
'zactly!

1050 was a crap signal for WEPN to be on - so the full switch to FM is understandable for them. Heck WFAN originally was on 1050 and got off that frequency as soon as it could. Their coverage area doesn't change.

For 660, though, it's different. A switch to FM greatly narrows their broadcasting range.

-QG

Fatty comes on after the Mets finish up today. I'd love to see the Marlins come back and win it in the bottom of the 9th. I gotta admit, it's a good listen when he kills the MESS bullpen.

The Francesa updates are awesome.

Chris being there seemed to help keep Mike's head in check, and Chris needed Mike because at least between the two of them they could remember and pronounce the athletes' names correctly. The knowledge and styles just mixed well, by themselves it's just not there. Especially with Mike, I really can't listen to him anymore. At least Chris is pretty good with the guests and the callers, sometimes very good, whereas Mike is just insufferable and arrogant with both. Neither one knows sports as well as they think, and they leaned on each other for certain things that are exposed with their solo shows.

From the same CBS management that took a top 5 oldies station, flipped it to jack fm, sunk it to the bottom of the book and then flipped back and guess what, cbs fm back in the top 5.

Ny does not care about national sports. Espn radio proves it.

ESPN radio never got the traction even if they have a much more appealing on-air cast for the casual fan Mike and Mike has to have as much appeal as Boomer and CartonJoe and Evan is just horrible, I'd listen to the Herd every day of the week, but Lupica is awfulStephen A is a clown but he's better than Joe and EvanMike is a blowhard but still has a bigger voice than Michael Kay, although honestly the Kay show is not badSummers is a snoozefest, the guys in the evening on ESPN have been better for years. although I'm not happy they got rid of Bill Daughterythe overnight FAN group is dreadful
I won't listen to Carton under any circumstances. Haven't been able to stand him since his fake "Jersey Guys" days (he lived in Pennsylvania the whole time) Mike and Mike is okay but the zillion commercials has me flipping to news radio. Joe and Evan, eh - except when their teams play like crap. Cowherd I can only take in small doses though.Francesa is way more :popcorn: than Kay. And the Billy Joel sign-off that Kay uses is only 2nd to the Flo progressive commercials in the "annoying things that make me switch the station category" I like Somers. He's a classic. I like Tony Page too. The national guys on ESPN are okay but whatever garbage CBS sports radio puts on will be garbage I'm sure. I remember the time WFAN put Ferrell's syndicated show on in the evenings - it was an unmitigated disaster and a short lived experiment. NY-area teams are not gonna wanna be on FM. Part of why these teams have bigger followings is because you can hear them far and wide. -QG
Poor me a Guinness

What's everyone's opinion on Mad Dog radio on Sirius? Who are the best on there, or does it suck? I never tune to it.

Dog is terrible solo. He's your man if you need the latest information on the San Francisco Giants or Men's tennis. He's clueless about everything else. He doesn't even watch big events anymore. And God forbid any of them occur on the same night that his kid has a ball game.

Dog is terrible solo. He's your man if you need the latest information on the San Francisco Giants or Men's tennis. He's clueless about everything else. He doesn't even watch big events anymore. And God forbid any of them occur on the same night that his kid has a ball game.
I've never actually heard him on the Mad Dog channel, it's always other guys. Familar with any of those? Costa, Schein, Fonzarelli?

Dino Costa has the show immediately after Dog's. I grew tired of him rather quickly. He's a pompous ### who makes Francesa seem humble by comparison. I didn't realize Schein was on Dog's channel. I always knew him from NFL radio. He's another big mouth anyway. BRING IT!!!

ETA about Dino: this won't resonate with too many of you, as the guy has about 30 listeners, but I lost a lot of respect for him a couple months back. He portrays himself as this rebel who speaks his mind and can't be tamed, and I loved it when he (rightly so) used to crush Dog for mailing in his shows and not keeping up on what's going on in the sports world. Then one night, out of the blue, he announced that he would no longer be criticizing Russo. It couldn't have been more obvious that Steve Cohen or one of the other suits at Sirius/XM told him to pipe down (as Dog would say) in terms of being critical of the station's biggest draw. So he stopped. Rebel. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
As an aside, I know it must sound like I hate everyone who has a sports talk show. Not true.

Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan on "Moving the Chains" are beyond excellent.

Scott Van Pelt is knowledgeable, humorous, likable and has zero ego.

Ben Maller, who works overnight weekends on FOX Sports Radio fits the same description as SVP. Love falling asleep to his show.

I can even tolerate Doug Gottlieb in small doses, when he's not off on one of his sanctimonious rants about this or that.

Fatso today declared that he would be SHOCKED if the Knicks lost tonight, and said he'd be surprised if they didn't put the Celtics away early.

9:04 left in the 4th Q.... Boston 75, NY 60

:thumbup:

Fatso today declared that he would be SHOCKED if the Knicks lost tonight, and said he'd be surprised if they didn't put the Celtics away early. 9:04 left in the 4th Q.... Boston 75, NY 60 :thumbup:
I neva said dat!
He said if the Celtics win, he'll come on the air tomorrow and admit he was wrong. Make sure you record that for posterity.
lol he didnt even wanna discuss the possibility of a game 7

Fatso today declared that he would be SHOCKED if the Knicks lost tonight, and said he'd be surprised if they didn't put the Celtics away early. 9:04 left in the 4th Q.... Boston 75, NY 60 :thumbup:
I neva said dat!
He said if the Celtics win, he'll come on the air tomorrow and admit he was wrong. Make sure you record that for posterity.
lol he didnt even wanna discuss the possibility of a game 7
Yeah, he dismissed that guy who asked him about the prospect of that happening.

Whattaya outta ya mind? Game 7? Dare's no way dis series is goin' ta Game 7. I'm not even gonna talk about dat. We got otha NBA games ta talk about and we have baseball and hockey.

Da Islanduhs ah goin' tonight and den da Ranjizz ah playin' tomarra night. We're gonna have a hockey guest lata on in da show.

Users who are viewing this thread