What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (3 Viewers)

Yep. Anyone worries about White isn't paying attention. If Lewis is truly healthy, White is on the bench. 
I think it depends on how healthy Lewis is, but yeah - I even said I saw White as lesser to both, but coaches are funny - maybe he earned more carries since last year.  

Great info in this thread. He's been offered to me in a straight-up trade for Brandon Marshall, who's been a WR3 for me. Non-PPR. I'm giving it serious consideration.

Trade deadline is this week so no chance to see him on the field first. Video clips of him running drills are encouraging but next to useless.

Total boom-bust proposition but if he pans out and becomes a meaningful part of the Patriots offense within the next 2-3 weeks, he could be a league winner. 

I think it depends on how healthy Lewis is, but yeah - I even said I saw White as lesser to both, but coaches are funny - maybe he earned more carries since last year.  
It's all Lewis' health. White hasn't earned more carries over a healthy Lewis. If Lewis isn't 100%, then White is in the equation/

Great info in this thread. He's been offered to me in a straight-up trade for Brandon Marshall, who's been a WR3 for me. Non-PPR. I'm giving it serious consideration.

Trade deadline is this week so no chance to see him on the field first. Video clips of him running drills are encouraging but next to useless.

Total boom-bust proposition but if he pans out and becomes a meaningful part of the Patriots offense within the next 2-3 weeks, he could be a league winner. 
That's a very tempting deal - Marshall hasn't been great this year, as his QB isn't helping matters. 

Just for the caliber of offense you're improving going from the Jets to the Pats. 

I'd probably give Marshall to get Lewis.

That's a very tempting deal - Marshall hasn't been great this year, as his QB isn't helping matters. 
I actually don't think QB is his main issue right now but I think it gets worse. I got to think this week is Fitz's last shot to turn things around or when they come out of the bye they want to see what they have with Petty.  So for me I do that deal and get Lewis.

If you're set at RB and need a WR capable of big things I would take Moncrief and fast.
In this league I have McCoy, Ware, Howard, Coleman and Evans, Cooper, Cobb, Sanders. The thing is Crief's schedule is pretty poor. I feel like I should do it, it's just that one week you have a full stable of RBs and the next you're down to one healthy guy. Tough choice, I think I may do it.

Coleman and Evans, Cooper, Cobb, Sanders.
I rank them in order Evans, Moncrief, Cooper, Sanders, Coleman, Cobb (Cobb over sanders &a Coleman when healthy, but he's not practicing? I haven't seen the latest update)!

IMO 'Crief becomes your WR2 due to his RZ potential - at worse Cooper is WR2, Moncrief is WR2a. 

The thing is Crief's schedule is pretty poor. 
Not bad enough to not do that deal. 

I rank them in order Evans, Moncrief, Cooper, Sanders, Coleman, Cobb (Cobb over sanders &a Coleman when healthy, but he's not practicing? I haven't seen the latest update)!

IMO 'Crief becomes your WR2 due to his RZ potential - at worse Cooper is WR2, Moncrief is WR2a.

Not bad enough to not do that deal.
Coop is a WR1 statistically and the dude is just ####### filthy but I don't want to derail the thread. I'm doing the trade. Oh man, I don't even get to ride this train when it takes off.

I stashed Lewis this week so don't get me wrong I like him too, but I don't see league-winning potential in a non-PPR.

Quality RB2? Absolutely. 

But he's not ripping off 120 yards rushing and 2 TDs in a game since he won't be in a feature back role, and while the receiving will help pad his stats, it's not going to propel him to RB1 status like it might in a PPR. Just my .02

As bad as Marshall has been I'd be weary of that one unless you're really weak at RB and stacked at WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love Lewis but people are underselling White.

The only RB in NE with a secure role is Blount.
underselling? Would it not be factual to say that White was not a part of the offense until Lewis was lost for the season last year or that he was a lot better in the role than White was?

White will still have a role...The Patriots are so stacked they have no need to overuse the very fragile Dion Lewis coming off a significant injury. I think they will handle him with kid gloves so they can have him healthy for their playoff run.

Would it be safe to assume he's not playing this week if he hasn't been activated as of yet - or would it not matter since he is practicing anyway?
Lewis has been a full participant in practice. Barring a set back, I don't see any change he gets put on IR I would guess they activate him by the end of the day tomorrow and he will see limited snaps or be used situationally against Seattle. I suppose if BB wants to keep the Seahawks guessing, he could wait until Sunday night and activate him. 

underselling? Would it not be factual to say that White was not a part of the offense until Lewis was lost for the season last year or that he was a lot better in the role than White was?
Let me know when 2015 rolls around again and then we'll talk about it.

Let me know when 2015 rolls around again and then we'll talk about it.
or we can just wait a week or two for Lewis to get healthy I suppose. In one dynasty I own both Lewis and White and In redraft I only own White so if anything I should lean towards White holding onto his job - but it's just not very realistic unless Lewis isn't able to fully recover.

Dion Lewis - RB - Patriots

Dion Lewis (knee, PUP) participated in practice Wednesday.
Lewis is not on the injury report because he is not on the active roster, so there is no way of knowing his level of participation. It was his fifth consecutive practice, however, suggesting he is close to a return. It remains likely Lewis is activated from the PUP later this week and active against the Seahawks on Sunday night.

Source: WEEI
Nov 10 - 9:46 AM

I stashed Lewis this week so don't get me wrong I like him too, but I don't see league-winning potential in a non-PPR.

Quality RB2? Absolutely. 

But he's not ripping off 120 yards rushing and 2 TDs in a game since he won't be in a feature back role, and while the receiving will help pad his stats, it's not going to propel him to RB1 status like it might in a PPR. Just my .02

As bad as Marshall has been I'd be weary of that one unless you're really weak at RB and stacked at WR.
Just pulled the trigger. I think I'm overpaying but my gut says there could be playoff-time gold here and Marshall's prospects the rest of the way look pretty grim (including a bye).

I'm not stacked at WR (Marshall, Cobb, T. Pryor, Crabtree, J Matthews) but they are all mid-tier options and Marshall, while having the most name-value, has been the most disappointing of the bunch. We have short benches and it seems there are always decent WRs that can be had on the waiver wire but nothing but low-ceiling scrubs at RB. With Gurley, Miller, G Bernard, and Asiata as my RBs, I am gonna to need to hit on another solid RB2/3 for any playoff push.

In short, PASS THE KOOL-AID AND SCOOT OVER BECAUSE I'M JUMPING ON THIS MOTHER####ING TRAIN!  :pickle:

Choo Choo, also no one is under selling James White. He's filled in admirably and brings nothing to the table in comparison.

If (IF) Dion is fully healthy, James White won't get in the way. Belichick might though. I could easily see a scenario where they split the receiving RB reps in any game where the Pats have a somewhat comfortable lead all the way until playoff time, even if Dion is near 100%, if only to keep him that way for the games that really count. It could be maddening for fantasy.

I grabbed Dion, despite this fear in both my leagues as an end of bench flier. I flipped him in one league for Carlos Hyde. Could not pass up that shizzle (full disclosure - this was just after Hyde hurt his shoulder, heading into the 49ers bye, just as Dion was coming off the PUP list and it looked like he could be back sooner than he has - still a deal that seemed very lopsided to me then and now). 

I just need him activated for week 11 bye week coverage with Gordon and Forte off...

Just traded Gio and Stills for Lewis and Edelman in a PPR.  Did it for the upside of Lewis, although in the short-term it may not be great.  I'm 8-1 in that league, though, so I can wait for Lewis to get fully healthy.

Coop is a WR1 statistically and the dude is just ####### filthy but I don't want to derail the thread. I'm doing the trade. Oh man, I don't even get to ride this train when it takes off.
Sometimes you take the bird in the hand. I traded away Booker before he even had his first start cos the price was right and so was the hype for a WR1.

Gotta love coach speak

Coach Bill Belichick said it "would take quite a bit" for Dion Lewis (knee, PUP) to pass James White on the depth chart.

From Sleeperbot:

Coach Bill Belichick said it "would take quite a bit" for Dion Lewis (knee, PUP) to pass James White on the depth chart.

Gotta love coach speak

Coach speak for "Lewis will take the full compliment of passing down reps week 11 and thanks Mr. White for your serviceable contributions."

Coach speak for "Lewis will take the full compliment of passing down reps week 11 and thanks Mr. White for your serviceable contributions."
trying to figure out what Belichick will do with his RBs is a fool's errand.

it's certainly possible that Lewis isn't the same as he was prior to injury, or that the team wants to ease him back, or that White simply earned a larger role as I'd suggested previously. The only one who really knows is BB. 

Not saying it's not possible that you're right, but sometimes BB means what he says. This could be a 3-headed monster going forward. 

Maybe in a couple weeks Lewis will take the lion's share. Maybe not. 

"I think White is a good player," Belichick said. "What he does is good. Could somebody do it better? I don't know. But it would take quite a bit, I would say, based on where he is and how consistent he's been with what he's done. It would take somebody playing pretty good to be better than him."
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4797411/bill-belichick-will-take-a-lot-to-surpass-james-white-as-passing-back

Like this

Quote this

The bolded is emphasized on purpose in his statement. He knows Dion is exceptional in this role IF he's getting the Dion of 2025.

If Dion is fully recovered, he will surpass White. He was special last year. White is very good, but not in the same class. That being said, we don't know if Dion will be the same. 

trying to figure out what Belichick will do with his RBs is a fool's errand.

it's certainly possible that Lewis isn't the same as he was prior to injury, or that the team wants to ease him back, or that White simply earned a larger role as I'd suggested previously. The only one who really knows is BB. 

Not saying it's not possible that you're right, but sometimes BB means what he says. This could be a 3-headed monster going forward. 

Maybe in a couple weeks Lewis will take the lion's share. Maybe not. 
Over the last few years, BB has been one of the most predictable coaches in how he divides up the RB workload. The issue has been deciphering how they will game plan from week to week. Where people give the NE the impossible to figure out label is due to injuries, which holds true for most teams.

If Dion is fully recovered, he will surpass White. He was special last year. White is very good, but not in the same class. That being said, we don't know if Dion will be the same. 
I wouldn't even go so far to say that White is very good. He does what they want him to do, and he is probably above average as a receiver but below average as a runner. Since he does what they want of him, he will get a "very good" label from the coaching staff.

Over the last few years, BB has been one of the most predictable coaches in how he divides up the RB workload. The issue has been deciphering how they will game plan from week to week. Where people give the NE the impossible to figure out label is due to injuries, which holds true for most teams.
Which was exactly my point since the context is a player returning from injury. 

And it sounds an awful lot like White will continue to have a role regardless.

so - trying to figure out who gets how many touches among the 3 is easier said than done.

if I owned Lewis I'd not rush to throw him in my lineup this week. And maybe not next week either. He might not be ready but active as one of the tried and true BB mind games to get opponents to game plan for him. Not unprecedented.

watching Lewis owners trying to spin this quote into a positive for Lewis is a little like watching Soulfly talking about Josh Gordon.

i see nothing positive here for Lewis owners. I see BB saying Lewis isn't ready to take on a significant role yet.

or maybe he's trying to motivate Lewis to play harder than anyone and take the job - I give the former a 70% chance and the latter a 30% chance.  :shrug:

everyone reads between the lines differently I guess. 

It just says Lewis won't be handed the job simply because everyone is healthy.  I wouldn't expect anything else from a competent organization.  He has to earn it on the field and it will take a lot because White has done a good job. 

Users who are viewing this thread