What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Dez Bryant (4 Viewers)

Last night's game set the table for Dez. Defenses will look at the tape and see that they also have to pay attention to Ogletree. IMO Dez and Austin are going to pick apart their opponents every week.

Thought he looked great, he caught everything and did the most he could with each target, he just needs some more targets.

Imo he is the most talented wr on the cowboys but his lack of discipline allows teams to make adjustments that take him out of the game.

Last night's game set the table for Dez. Defenses will look at the tape and see that they also have to pay attention to Ogletree. IMO Dez and Austin are going to pick apart their opponents every week.
Very possible, but didn't this happen with LRob last season?

If dez learns how to read a zone better, learn how to effectively break off a pattern, learn how to come back to the ball better, learn how to run a sit down pattern better, and learn how to work from the outside of the field in then he would have amazing talent and technique. Then teams would not be able to take him out of games with def adjustments.

Last edited by a moderator:
If dez learns how to read a zone better, learn how to effectively break off a pattern, learn how to come back to the ball better, learn how to run a sit down pattern better, and learn how to work from the outside of the field in then he would have amazing talent and technique. Then teams would not be able to take him out of games with def adjustments.
thx

I think Dez has the physical talent to be one of those WRs that a QB can force the ball too and he can make a play on it.

Perhaps it's a lack of trust from Romo, perhaps Romo lacks the small space accuracy or perhaps Romo is very good at checking down, but for some reason Romo has not yet been that QB for Dez as Shaub does for Adnre, as Stafford does for Calvin.

Dez could do all of those things and it's not going to change much. Romo only throws to him in certain situations. It's strange really, for a guy that makes such terrible decisions sometimes, he is very selective on forcing the ball. Why throw to Dez when he's being doubled when he can get it to Ogleetree who is 1-on-1 with the worst corne?. Then for some unknown reason he will throw across his body to a guy being triple teamed. I'm flummoxed by it.

My question is.....why aren't they sending him through the middle and getting him the ball in space? This guy if given the ball in space will be flat out unstoppable. This is virtually the same physical specimen as Julio Jones, the falcons are just more adept in getting Julio looks in space where he can do damage. I really feel like this will be the evolution of Dez. Last night he looked like a possession receiver and he is so much more than that.

If you look at the game, Dez played the snaps designed for a WR1 in the Cowboys playbook. He was also in there on power running plays where only 1 wideout is the game while Austin and Ogletree were on the sidelines. He is clearly the WR1. The Giants had the entire pre season to plan their defense for this game. And it's clear that they made an effort to take Dez out of the game and yet he still got 85 yards. Look at what Cruz and Nicks did when they get taken out, 58 yards and 38 yards respectively.

My question is.....why aren't they sending him through the middle and getting him the ball in space? This guy if given the ball in space will be flat out unstoppable. This is virtually the same physical specimen as Julio Jones, the falcons are just more adept in getting Julio looks in space where he can do damage. I really feel like this will be the evolution of Dez. Last night he looked like a possession receiver and he is so much more than that.
The world's first 21 YPR possession receiver?

Dez is not the same as Julio Jones. That's the entire problem. Julio is already a hard-working, excellent route runner.

Dez is not. I didn't notice it as much last night, but it seemed like in years past, they almost hard to work hard to get Dez the ball. Kind of like they force-fed it to him. He doesn't fit within the flow of the offense.

Julio is going to get used all over the field and can run all the routes.

Dez thus-far has not shown that ability.

They are very similar in their physical attributes, but miles apart in their route running.

One game is your sample size clearly you are not a statistician

Dez is not the same as Julio Jones. That's the entire problem. Julio is already a hard-working, excellent route runner. Dez is not. I didn't notice it as much last night, but it seemed like in years past, they almost hard to work hard to get Dez the ball. Kind of like they force-fed it to him. He doesn't fit within the flow of the offense.Julio is going to get used all over the field and can run all the routes.Dez thus-far has not shown that ability. They are very similar in their physical attributes, but miles apart in their route running.
My point was physically the are very similar, I agree Julio is already a better route runner but I do think Dallas' prime objective should be allowing Dez to get the ball in space because that is where his game could be transcendent

Dez is not the same as Julio Jones. That's the entire problem. Julio is already a hard-working, excellent route runner. Dez is not. I didn't notice it as much last night, but it seemed like in years past, they almost hard to work hard to get Dez the ball. Kind of like they force-fed it to him. He doesn't fit within the flow of the offense.Julio is going to get used all over the field and can run all the routes.Dez thus-far has not shown that ability. They are very similar in their physical attributes, but miles apart in their route running.
My point was physically the are very similar, I agree Julio is already a better route runner but I do think Dallas' prime objective should be allowing Dez to get the ball in space because that is where his game could be transcendent
Agree....he's like Marshall, you just need to get the ball in his hands as much as possible and he'll make plays after the catch. He's a bull.

I am still very happy getting Dez in about every league as a 4th round value, or only 10% of cap in auction drafts.

We know he's not the hardest working guy, but just based on opportunity he will easily post 1100/10, enough for low WR1 numbers. In most drafts 18 WRs are going before him or cost more in auction and I don't get it.

He can't get the ball in space if he can't run precise routes.

Dez's numbers will go up moving forward. Romo did a great job identifyng and exploiting the coverage on Ogletree yesterday. Ogletree will not be covered by the opponents' 3rd, 4th, and 5th CBs every week. Once Ogletree is covered better and not as open as he was last night, and Witten returns as a bigger threat (not playing injured) Dez will get more targets and more opportunities.

One game is your sample size clearly you are not a statistician
I make no comment on his career. You're the one who set the bound at "last night."

If you look at the game, Dez played the snaps designed for a WR1 in the Cowboys playbook. He was also in there on power running plays where only 1 wideout is the game while Austin and Ogletree were on the sidelines. He is clearly the WR1. The Giants had the entire pre season to plan their defense for this game. And it's clear that they made an effort to take Dez out of the game and yet he still got 85 yards. Look at what Cruz and Nicks did when they get taken out, 58 yards and 38 yards respectively.
That's not what I saw last year, and not what I saw last night. I'm 95% certain that Austin was always the WR on the field against the Giants when the Cowboys went to one-WR sets.

I am still very happy getting Dez in about every league as a 4th round value, or only 10% of cap in auction drafts.We know he's not the hardest working guy, but just based on opportunity he will easily post 1100/10, enough for low WR1 numbers. In most drafts 18 WRs are going before him or cost more in auction and I don't get it.
He's never come very close to posting 1100/10. 930/9 is his best year (2011). His opportunity is basically the same as last year, except that the defense looks to be better, so they will probably not be playing from behind as much/throwing in the second half. Dez played well last night, but in a game where the NYG secondary was in shambles, the guy got 85 yards and 0 of his team's 3 receiving TDs. Romo puts up a lot of his TDs when scrambling (that's when Robinson/Ogletree have caught so many TDs in single coverage), but he doesn't seem to throw to Dez much in that situation. Not sure if Dez just isn't good at getting open late when the play breaks down or what, but Romo looks elsewhere. And the team looks like it will be rushing more, too.So, it is hard to say that he will "easily" post a career year of 1100/10. I'd much rather have a guy like Bowe that has multiple back-to-back 1100 yard years, a 15 TD season under his belt, is his QB's clear favorite target, and is really just about as much of a physical marvel at Dez Bryant is.

I am still very happy getting Dez in about every league as a 4th round value, or only 10% of cap in auction drafts.We know he's not the hardest working guy, but just based on opportunity he will easily post 1100/10, enough for low WR1 numbers. In most drafts 18 WRs are going before him or cost more in auction and I don't get it.
He's never come very close to posting 1100/10. 930/9 is his best year (2011). His opportunity is basically the same as last year, except that the defense looks to be better, so they will probably not be playing from behind as much/throwing in the second half. Dez played well last night, but in a game where the NYG secondary was in shambles, the guy got 85 yards and 0 of his team's 3 receiving TDs. Romo puts up a lot of his TDs when scrambling (that's when Robinson/Ogletree have caught so many TDs in single coverage), but he doesn't seem to throw to Dez much in that situation. Not sure if Dez just isn't good at getting open late when the play breaks down or what, but Romo looks elsewhere. And the team looks like it will be rushing more, too.So, it is hard to say that he will "easily" post a career year of 1100/10. I'd much rather have a guy like Bowe that has multiple back-to-back 1100 yard years, a 15 TD season under his belt, is his QB's clear favorite target, and is really just about as much of a physical marvel at Dez Bryant is.
He's NEVER come close.... in his extremely long 2 year career. His opportunity is basically the same... except he is 100% healthy (played injured last year) and there has been nothing but positive reports regarding his dedication in practice this offseason. The NYG secondary was in shambles... except they had their #1 CB on Dez all night, making the other Dallas receivers easy targets for Romo.Bowe had 15 TDs two years ago... has had 4, 5, 5, and 7 in the other 80% of his seasons. Outlier? And he had 5 last year, when Dez had 9. And Dez actually finished ahead of Bowe last year (FBG scoring). I like Bowe, but Dez's upside is so much higher.

I think he has immense talent. There are some ways a wr gets the ball in space -- 1. Work the middle. Note this requires work. This requires fighting off the block. These are not strengths for dez. 2. The anquan boldin slip screen play. Loved this when ariz ran it with boldin. Note this requires precision and timing. This is not a beginners play - see chicagos attempts with hester. Im not even sure dallas has the right personnel package for this play. Bottom line is the light bulb has to go off in this players head that he needs to work on his craft to be a reliable on schedule receiver.

I think he has immense talent. There are some ways a wr gets the ball in space -- 1. Work the middle. Note this requires work. This requires fighting off the block. These are not strengths for dez. 2. The anquan boldin slip screen play. Loved this when ariz ran it with boldin. Note this requires precision and timing. This is not a beginners play - see chicagos attempts with hester. Im not even sure dallas has the right personnel package for this play. Bottom line is the light bulb has to go off in this players head that he needs to work on his craft to be a reliable on schedule receiver.
Thats what's clear to me as a Cowboys "homer" as well. For awhile, he thought all he needed was pure talent. It did not help that he missed his first training camp, then subsequent offseason from the lockout, then a 2nd abbreviated camp. This was his first real offseason and all reports are that he worked very hard to improve. He obviously hasnt fully gotten away from his tough upbringing, but he now understands he has to work hard to succeed. And he's doing that.

He's NEVER come close.... in his extremely long 2 year career. His opportunity is basically the same... except he is 100% healthy (played injured last year) and there has been nothing but positive reports regarding his dedication in practice this offseason. The NYG secondary was in shambles... except they had their #1 CB on Dez all night, making the other Dallas receivers easy targets for Romo.Bowe had 15 TDs two years ago... has had 4, 5, 5, and 7 in the other 80% of his seasons. Outlier? And he had 5 last year, when Dez had 9. And Dez actually finished ahead of Bowe last year (FBG scoring). I like Bowe, but Dez's upside is so much higher.
Dez also has to contend with Austin being back (who missed a bunch of games last year). We know Bowe can put up 15 TDs. Do you think Dez's upside is really "so much higher" than that? I just don't see Dez having that much of a "featured WR" role in Dallas and he just isn't Romo's safety blanket. Bowe is Cassel's, for sure. Romo is going to throw to the open receiver, and with Dez getting a lot of coverage, it just isn't going to be him that often.

Dez could do all of those things and it's not going to change much. Romo only throws to him in certain situations. It's strange really, for a guy that makes such terrible decisions sometimes, he is very selective on forcing the ball. Why throw to Dez when he's being doubled when he can get it to Ogleetree who is 1-on-1 with the worst corne?. Then for some unknown reason he will throw across his body to a guy being triple teamed. I'm flummoxed by it.
Yep. Everytime he gets the ball, you can see how much of a beast he is, yet Romo doesnt target him like most QBs do their #1 WR. I think he's going to have a productive year, but games like yesterday I expect to be the norm. I dont think anyone will be complaining if he ended up with 1300 yards this year, but due to the lack of targets he gets (and all the other options in the offense) he strikes me as having about as little big game upside as any of the Top 20 or so WRs. He wont lose you many weeks, but I dont see him carrying fantasy teams to wins either.

Yep. Everytime he gets the ball, you can see how much of a beast he is, yet Romo doesnt target him like most QBs do their #1 WR. I think he's going to have a productive year, but games like yesterday I expect to be the norm. I dont think anyone will be complaining if he ended up with 1300 yards this year, but due to the lack of targets he gets (and all the other options in the offense) he strikes me as having about as little big game upside as any of the Top 20 or so WRs. He wont lose you many weeks, but I dont see him carrying fantasy teams to wins either.
QBs target guys they trust a lot. My guess/opinion is that Romo simply doesn't trust Bryant to the level his talent would suggest he should. I'd imagine that has to do with his documented lack do focus and work ethic. Bryant will only become the player fantasy owners see him potentially being if and when he EARNS that trust.

Hey guys. Is this where we go to overreact about one game?

Should probably have Keith fire up a separate forum for this kind of thing.

Dez's numbers will go up moving forward. Romo did a great job identifyng and exploiting the coverage on Ogletree yesterday. Ogletree will not be covered by the opponents' 3rd, 4th, and 5th CBs every week. Once Ogletree is covered better and not as open as he was last night, and Witten returns as a bigger threat (not playing injured) Dez will get more targets and more opportunities.
i heard this all last season

I have a feeling I'll be starting Brandon Lloyd over Dez next week.

It was kinda surprising for me to see Dez only get 5 targets. It seemed that every time they showed a replay, and often in real time, he was breaking wide open on his routes, but Romo wouldn't pass it to him. But the thing that stupefies me the most is the Cowboys' REFUSAL to use Dez in the RZ. Outside of Mega and Gronk, he's probably the best RZ threat in the league. Give him the damn ball. Cowboys so stupid.

I'm going to guess that the reactions in this thread are often divided down this line: The guys that drafted Dez in a redraft league this year, and the guys that have owned Dez in a dynasty league since his first season. I believe you're much more likely to defend Dez if you just drafted him this year.

This is the question I posed to The Audible guys:

I'd love it if The Audible could get into a Dez Bryant discussion.

I've owned Dez in a dynasty league since his rookie season, and I am really growing tired of all the hype. I hear experts say that Dez is as talented as guys like Calvin Johnson. But in Detroit, you don't have Nate Burleson going for 100 yards and two TDs every other game. Johnson is a dominant player that almost always gets his numbers.

Watching last night's game, it looks just like last year when Laurent Robinson had his monster season. Dez is a physical specimen, but he remains nothing more than a decoy. Now, I don't think the Giants were prepared for Ogletree. It's possible that in week 2 or 3 Seattle and Tampa will not allow Ogletree to kill them the way that NY did.

But if you're a Dez owner, look me in the eye and tell me that last night didn't feel exactly like the same ol' Dez: a tease that will never become a dominant player.

I think Dez has the physical talent to be one of those WRs that a QB can force the ball too and he can make a play on it.Perhaps it's a lack of trust from Romo, perhaps Romo lacks the small space accuracy or perhaps Romo is very good at checking down, but for some reason Romo has not yet been that QB for Dez as Shaub does for Adnre, as Stafford does for Calvin.
Lol....now some folks are comparing Dez to Calvin and Andre? LOL

I think Dez has the physical talent to be one of those WRs that a QB can force the ball too and he can make a play on it.Perhaps it's a lack of trust from Romo, perhaps Romo lacks the small space accuracy or perhaps Romo is very good at checking down, but for some reason Romo has not yet been that QB for Dez as Shaub does for Adnre, as Stafford does for Calvin.
Aren't people doing the same to Julio?

Calvin Johnson's first two seasons: 126 catches, 2087 yards, 16 TDs in 31 games

Bryant's: 108 catches, 1489 yards, 15 TDs in 27 games

I know it all about Romo and Ogletree right now, but Dez looked really good with limited targets. I had him with 5 targets so 4 catches for 85 yards is impressive. He looked strong going to the ball and quickly got up field after the catch. He definitely gets an upgrade from me even though the numbers were not eye-popping.
He looked good, I agree, but he disappeared in the 2nd half again. I'm not sure why this trends keeps happening.
This argument again?
Because it happened again? It's not even an argument anymore, it's a statistical fact.

Never said he was as good a receiver just that I think his physical talents are comparable. Not sure what is so funny about that. :shrug:

I'm going to guess that the reactions in this thread are often divided down this line: The guys that drafted Dez in a redraft league this year, and the guys that have owned Dez in a dynasty league since his first season. I believe you're much more likely to defend Dez if you just drafted him this year.

This is the question I posed to The Audible guys:

I'd love it if The Audible could get into a Dez Bryant discussion.

I've owned Dez in a dynasty league since his rookie season, and I am really growing tired of all the hype. I hear experts say that Dez is as talented as guys like Calvin Johnson. But in Detroit, you don't have Nate Burleson going for 100 yards and two TDs every other game. Johnson is a dominant player that almost always gets his numbers.

Watching last night's game, it looks just like last year when Laurent Robinson had his monster season. Dez is a physical specimen, but he remains nothing more than a decoy. Now, I don't think the Giants were prepared for Ogletree. It's possible that in week 2 or 3 Seattle and Tampa will not allow Ogletree to kill them the way that NY did.

But if you're a Dez owner, look me in the eye and tell me that last night didn't feel exactly like the same ol' Dez: a tease that will never become a dominant player.
100% agree with this and the quote. Its not an over reaction to the game either but to me im not even sure people can nit -pick this kids route running anymore as he looked much more refined in that regard. I remember seeing him open several times and over heard one of the announcers say Dez was wide open standing alone in the endzone on the drive before Ogletree scored the 10yrd. It's puzzling none the less, i really do not think this is all Dez here for fault of targets.

Never said he was as good a receiver just that I think his physical talents are comparable. Not sure what is so funny about that. :shrug:
Million $ body, $.10 head. LOL

He put up 86 yards. What are you complaining about? The Giants cornerbacks have been dropping like flies all off season.

Austin and Oggletree scored, next week it could be Bryant.

He put up 86 yards. What are you complaining about? The Giants cornerbacks have been dropping like flies all off season.Austin and Oggletree scored, next week it could be Bryant.
If I was a QB, I'd throw it to whomever Tryon was "covering" too.

He put up 86 yards. What are you complaining about? The Giants cornerbacks have been dropping like flies all off season.Austin and Oggletree scored, next week it could be Bryant.
Exactly.. he had 86 yards. He scores a TD and everybody is praising him and that it was Bryant's coming out party or some ####.
If I was a QB, I'd throw it to whomever Tryon was "covering" too.
Exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread