What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Dez Bryant (2 Viewers)

People get way too impatient. Bryant's a 23 year old kid who has had to compete for targets with two established Pro Bowlers. He's been dinged up but has still managed to put up very respectable numbers his first two years with some flashes of true brilliance / dominance. If his owners get antsy with him in any of my dynasty leagues, I'll be more than happy to buy.

'3nOut said:
Laurent Robinson's 11 TDs gotta go somewhere. The cowboys don't have a legitimate #3WR, so I say 5 go to Dez, 3 go to Witten and 3 go elsewhere. Assuming he can can relpicate last years numbers and get those additonal 5, that would give him 14 for the year. I think that would easily put him in the top 5 if that were to happen.
Do you think Murray and Jones are going to combine for just 3 rushing TDs again? Seems to me that it is most likely that the running game has several more TDs than last season, and Romo has fewer.

Dallas has averaged about 29-30 Passing TDs the last four years, regardless of how many Rushing TDs were scored. Below are the numbers by receiver (regardless of whi they were). For 2012, I think the order will be Dez, Austin, Witten, and whoever...

If you are optimistic about their offense this year, perhaps an improved defense will help, then would the following be out of the question?

Code:
	Total	WR1	WR2	WR3	WR4	Other2008	29	10	4	4	4	72009	26	11	7	5	2	1				2010	29	9	7	6	5	2				2011	33	11	9	7	5	1Average	29	11	7	6	4	22012?   31	13	7	6	3	2

Last edited by a moderator:
'loqutis said:
The concern - knock on Dez coming out of college, and why he dropped in the draft was his attitude, lack of maturity, work ethic, and off the field BS. All factors that would prevent him from EVER becoming a top level stud in the NFL. Here we are 3 years later and it appears he's falling right into those concerns. People who drafted this guy can not be objective
Huh? We are exactly 2 years and 1 month from when he was drafted. 3 years later is just an incorrect statement, as is the silliness to think that after two years you can already write him off from being a stud. Did you write off Calvin when in year 3, he finished #21, his second sub top 20 in 3 seasons? Andre Johnson never finished above #18 until year 6. Fitzgerald had sub top 20 seasons in year 1 and year 3 as well, you probably dumped him as well thinking season 2 was an aberration. Greg Jennings has almost exactly the same year 1 and 2 as Dez. Tons of other WRs didn't break out until year 3 or later. I wouldn't say year 2 was disappointing by historic measures and knowing he was hurt (I posted that before the article last page) and had no offseason, I think he had a good season. I also know that it is a really silly statement to think he won't ever be a stud. I read the same article and it sounded more like he has his head on straight and wants to improve on last year.

'loqutis said:
The concern - knock on Dez coming out of college, and why he dropped in the draft was his attitude, lack of maturity, work ethic, and off the field BS. All factors that would prevent him from EVER becoming a top level stud in the NFL. Here we are 3 years later and it appears he's falling right into those concerns. People who drafted this guy can not be objective
Huh? We are exactly 2 years and 1 month from when he was drafted. 3 years later is just an incorrect statement, as is the silliness to think that after two years you can already write him off from being a stud. Did you write off Calvin when in year 3, he finished #21, his second sub top 20 in 3 seasons? Andre Johnson never finished above #18 until year 6. Fitzgerald had sub top 20 seasons in year 1 and year 3 as well, you probably dumped him as well thinking season 2 was an aberration. Greg Jennings has almost exactly the same year 1 and 2 as Dez. Tons of other WRs didn't break out until year 3 or later. I wouldn't say year 2 was disappointing by historic measures and knowing he was hurt (I posted that before the article last page) and had no offseason, I think he had a good season. I also know that it is a really silly statement to think he won't ever be a stud. I read the same article and it sounded more like he has his head on straight and wants to improve on last year.
Some awesome stats here (too lazy to double check them so I'll assume they're all true) :)Signed,Satisfied Dez Owner

'loqutis said:
Some awesome stats here (too lazy to double check them so I'll assume they're all true) :)Signed,Satisfied Dez Owner
Straight from FBG's rankings on the player pages. I don't know if Dez will be a stud or not and I have only owned him once in 6 chances the last two years. Not sure if I will even keep him as it would be for a 3rd, but I am targetting him if he falls. There aren't many AJ Green's out there that have great rookie seasons. In their rookie years, the best of all guys mentioned above was Andre who finished 23rd and then he finished 22nd and 46th the next two seasons. Fitz, Jennings and Calvin all finished 30+ in their rookie years. All the studs mentioned above had at least 2 out of 3 20+ finishes in their first 3 years. It happens, even to the guys we consider the STUDs today, so to say a 23 year old (pretty young for a 3rd year NFLer) can't be a stud when he finished 19th in year two and now has less competition is just plain silly.

'loqutis said:
Straight from FBG's rankings on the player pages. I don't know if Dez will be a stud or not and I have only owned him once in 6 chances the last two years. Not sure if I will even keep him as it would be for a 3rd, but I am targetting him if he falls. There aren't many AJ Green's out there that have great rookie seasons. In their rookie years, the best of all guys mentioned above was Andre who finished 23rd and then he finished 22nd and 46th the next two seasons. Fitz, Jennings and Calvin all finished 30+ in their rookie years. All the studs mentioned above had at least 2 out of 3 20+ finishes in their first 3 years. It happens, even to the guys we consider the STUDs today, so to say a 23 year old (pretty young for a 3rd year NFLer) can't be a stud when he finished 19th in year two and now has less competition is just plain silly.
Part of it is from unrealistic expectations in previous years. It wasn't unusual last preseason to see people projecting Miles, Dez and Witten all having 1k+ yards and about 30 TDs spread amongst them. People made such predictions despite only the Chargers with Winslow, ever had a WR/WR/TE trio that all had 1k yards each.

I've yet to see dez put together a complete game. He'll start off great or have a couple good series, but then disapears like a fart in the wind. Add in the primadona and money issues and hes more trouble than good. Way overrated in dynasty.

Part of it is from unrealistic expectations in previous years. It wasn't unusual last preseason to see people projecting Miles, Dez and Witten all having 1k+ yards and about 30 TDs spread amongst them. People made such predictions despite only the Chargers with Winslow, ever had a WR/WR/TE trio that all had 1k yards each.
Maybe, but if Dez doesn't return that darn punt, he easily gets 1000+ with 10 TDs (had 928-9) and according to FBGs, that extra 80 yards and 1 TD would have put him at #12 right ahead of Nicks, Marshall, AJ Green and Laurent Robinson. Would that really have been a disappointing second year for a 22 year old guy?I drafted him in the 4th round (2 keeper, 12 team) and while he may have underperformed for me a tiny bit, I know he was just one stupid call by a coach away from being a WR1 and outperforming where I drafted him.

Maybe, but if Dez doesn't return that darn punt, he easily gets 1000+ with 10 TDs (had 928-9) and according to FBGs, that extra 80 yards and 1 TD would have put him at #12 right ahead of Nicks, Marshall, AJ Green and Laurent Robinson. Would that really have been a disappointing second year for a 22 year old guy?I drafted him in the 4th round (2 keeper, 12 team) and while he may have underperformed for me a tiny bit, I know he was just one stupid call by a coach away from being a WR1 and outperforming where I drafted him.
Nicks, Green and Robinson all missed a decent amount of time due to injuries. Had they been healthy, Dez had no way of catching or passing them. That's worth pointing out if you are going to throw hypothetical's out there for Dez.

Some awesome stats here (too lazy to double check them so I'll assume they're all true) :) Signed,

Satisfied Dez Owner
Nicks, Green and Robinson all missed a decent amount of time due to injuries. Had they been healthy, Dez had no way of catching or passing them. That's worth pointing out if you are going to throw hypothetical's out there for Dez.
That's not a fact nor a foregone conclusion. Dez outscores all three this year over 16.

That's not a fact nor a foregone conclusion. Dez outscores all three this year over 16.
It is based on the criteria he said. Give Dez an extra 80 yds and a TD. Green missed a game and a half due to injury, let alone the struggle of playing through 2 separate injuries that cost him productivity. He averaged 70 yds and .46 TDs per game. That brings his total up to 1127/7, that is adding 70 yds back into his total.Nicks missed a game and a half due to injury as well. He averaged 80 yds and .46 TDs per game also. That brings his total up to 1272/7, that is adding 80 yds back into his total.Robinson missed 2 games due to injury and only started 4. He averaged 61 yds and .78 TDs per game. That brings his total up to 978/12, that is adding 120 yds and 1 TD back into his total.So no, in this circumstance Dez does not catch any of those guys. This is taking the low end of their averages as well. I'm simply using the numbers that somebody else tried to assign to Dez of 80 yds and 1 TD. You can't simply add hypothetical numbers to one guy and try to move him up in the rankings and not to others. Certainly not if they all had reasons that held them back. If the above 3 guys in question had all played 16 games and were fully healthy, then I could buy the argument. In this case however, all 4 of the guys listed missed time and you are only trying to apply missed production to 1.

It is based on the criteria he said. Give Dez an extra 80 yds and a TD. Green missed a game and a half due to injury, let alone the struggle of playing through 2 separate injuries that cost him productivity. He averaged 70 yds and .46 TDs per game. That brings his total up to 1127/7, that is adding 70 yds back into his total.Nicks missed a game and a half due to injury as well. He averaged 80 yds and .46 TDs per game also. That brings his total up to 1272/7, that is adding 80 yds back into his total.Robinson missed 2 games due to injury and only started 4. He averaged 61 yds and .78 TDs per game. That brings his total up to 978/12, that is adding 120 yds and 1 TD back into his total.So no, in this circumstance Dez does not catch any of those guys. This is taking the low end of their averages as well. I'm simply using the numbers that somebody else tried to assign to Dez of 80 yds and 1 TD. You can't simply add hypothetical numbers to one guy and try to move him up in the rankings and not to others. Certainly not if they all had reasons that held them back. If the above 3 guys in question had all played 16 games and were fully healthy, then I could buy the argument. In this case however, all 4 of the guys listed missed time and you are only trying to apply missed production to 1.
Relax man, just trying to show how he was basically one stupid coaching mistake away from being #12/low end WR1. It would have been one thing had the injury been a normal one, but he got hurt on a punt return. He isn't Percy Harvin or Devin Hester, there is no reason to risk it. Again, wasn't trying to pro-rate it, just trying to mention how silly it is to say he had a disappointing season in his second year in the league and to say he can never be a stud hbecause of a single punt return.Pretty sure if he doesn't get hurt on the punt return and finishes #12, there wouldn't be the same "disappointment" for him. I guess I shouldn't keep harping on it as I would love to see him fall further in drafts. I saw the punt return and I saw him pre-injury with Revis on him and post-injury and I liked what I saw pre-inury even when covered by Revis.

What i see in this thread is unfair expectations so early into his career. People do grow up and mature, and i dont even view him as a charcter concern to begin with. Aj green spoiled you all, seriously....

What i see in this thread is unfair expectations so early into his career. People do grow up and mature, and i dont even view him as a charcter concern to begin with. Aj green spoiled you all, seriously....
I agree Dez doesn't seem to get the respect he deserves. He's a very good player. However, I think his situation is going to cap his ceiing to a certain extent for the near future - Miles Austin is very good as well and will still be heavily involved, and Witten is a terrific security blanket. It's rare that 3 receivers from the same team all end up as top fantasy scorers, so I think Dez doesn't have the upside guys like AJ Green or Calvin have because they may not be as much a focal point of the offense.

I agree Dez doesn't seem to get the respect he deserves. He's a very good player. However, I think his situation is going to cap his ceiing to a certain extent for the near future - Miles Austin is very good as well and will still be heavily involved, and Witten is a terrific security blanket. It's rare that 3 receivers from the same team all end up as top fantasy scorers, so I think Dez doesn't have the upside guys like AJ Green or Calvin have because they may not be as much a focal point of the offense.
Dez has the potential to be a great WR. The question has always been his desire to not just rely on his talent and work to become a great WR. It's hard to know what will switch on that desire to work and refine his skills so they match his natural talent.

Dez has the potential to be a great WR. The question has always been his desire to not just rely on his talent and work to become a great WR. It's hard to know what will switch on that desire to work and refine his skills so they match his natural talent.
:goodposting: That is the toughest part with Dez. I had 3 leagues, owned Romo in 2 and Dez in one of those 2, so I watched a bunch of Cowboys games. His catches on Revis and a few others (especially one TD against Buffalo) showed a WR that IMHO has a lot of talent, the type of talent that if he realizes it, he could be one of the best. Miles Austin and Witten are good, but Austin doesn't have that if you throw it near me, it is mine regardless of who is covering me that you see in Calvin and Fitz. I saw a few catches by Dez including one with Revis on him that made me think he has that. Doesn't mean he will realize it, but there aren't that many guys who have that potential.It's funny how people interpret things, but I liked that article where he admitted being hurt and said he was disappointed in his play. That is what I think I want to here from a 23 year old NFL player. It says to me that maybe he does get it and maybe he will. If he does, it won't matter if Austin and Witten are there, he will be the #1.

I've yet to see dez put together a complete game. He'll start off great or have a couple good series, but then disapears like a fart in the wind. Add in the primadona and money issues and hes more trouble than good. Way overrated in dynasty.
Ding ding ding.

Ding ding ding.
Oh, a 2nd year player who's never had an offseason can't dominate an entire game against men? He must be horrible and overrated.

Ding ding ding.
Oh, a 2nd year player who's never had an offseason can't dominate an entire game against men? He must be horrible and overrated.
Others have.....

'ImTheScientist said:
'lbouchard said:
'loqutis said:
Ding ding ding.
Others have.....
Yes, we have been spoiled by Green and Julio. I just think it's shortsighted to ding someone for saying they can't dominate a full game when they're 22. Dez always seems to dominate one half, as was said. I think he puts it all together this year

'ImTheScientist said:
'lbouchard said:
'loqutis said:
Ding ding ding.
Others have.....
Yes, we have been spoiled by Green and Julio. I just think it's shortsighted to ding someone for saying they can't dominate a full game when they're 22. Dez always seems to dominate one half, as was said. I think he puts it all together this year
He has had 2 seasons so far....not one. How old do you have to be to dominate a full game? Just curious so I can know when to start holding players accountable.

'ImTheScientist said:
'lbouchard said:
'loqutis said:
Ding ding ding.
Others have.....
He has had 2 seasons so far....not one. How old do you have to be to dominate a full game? Just curious so I can know when to start holding players accountable.
Nowhere in my post did I say he had only one season. I said two. Also, whatever happened to the 3rd year WR rule? Dez is the posterboy for that rule, which was held true until the recent rookie seasons of TBMW, Green, and Julio. To expect that from every rookie is a mistake IMO

Jerry Jones is 'all for' Dez Bryant returning punts for Cowboys in 2012

By Will Brinson | Senior NFL Blogger

In Week 1 of the 2011 season, Dez Bryant suffered a deep thigh bruise while returning a punt against the Jets and ended up missing the following Week 2 game against the 49ers.

But despite the dangerous potential for injury on special teams, Jerry Jones says he's "all for" seeing his would-be star receiver and "weapon" returning punts in 2012.

"I have no issue with us making business decisions relative to him returning punts," Jones said, via the Dallas Morning-News. "What I do want him to do is to get enough repetitions so he can have a sense of fielding them and when to field them and when not to field them and make those kinds of judgments, but I like him back there to use him when we've got a long field or a chance for a return."

Last season, injuries to the wide receiver corps in Dallas actually paved the way for Laurent Robinson to break out. But his big season paved the way for a monster contract from the Jaguars and a departure from Dallas.

With Robinson gone, the Cowboys don't have much in the way of depth at receiver: Kevin Ogletree and Dwayne Harris are the most experienced options outside of Miles Austin and Bryant. Our Cowboys Rapid Reporter Nick Eaton lists WR3 as the No. 3 position battle to watch in Dallas and has Ogletree as the fave for the spot, with Harris, Raymond Radway, Andre Holmes and Danny Coale listed as possibilities.

In other words, if Austin or Bryant go down, the Cowboys could suddenly be hurting pretty badly at wideout. The more logical move is to take Harris, who was an Conference USA all-freshman punt returner at East Carolina, and let him return kicks while keeping Bryant healthy enough to continue his development as a wideout.

i think this dude is pretty good and if you give him a chance he will suprise you a lot like that guy in the green eggs and ham book he did not want to eat the ham anywhere but then eventually he gave it a shot and wam bam thank you mam he liked it so i would give dez a shot and even though you probably think you would not like him on your team you will be thanking me later when he is green egging it all the way to the house on a 107 yard reverse sneak attack out of his own end zone take that to the bank brohanskievs from texas

i think this dude is pretty good and if you give him a chance he will suprise you a lot like that guy in the green eggs and ham book he did not want to eat the ham anywhere but then eventually he gave it a shot and wam bam thank you mam he liked it so i would give dez a shot and even though you probably think you would not like him on your team you will be thanking me later when he is green egging it all the way to the house on a 107 yard reverse sneak attack out of his own end zone take that to the bank brohanskievs from texas
Man, I don't know what you had for breakfast this morning but that is some good analysis.

Dez is committed this season and he's going to be top 10, maybe even top 5 this season. Everyone knows the talent is there, but people have questioned his work ethic and 'want to'. Dez is committed this season. Yesterday Dez tweets "Had my body fat check today...3.1%". I know someone is going to say body fat percentage doesn't translate to production on the field....you are right! What this does show me is that Dez CARES this year and is out to prove a point, that he is one of the elite. No one questions his talent or skills, but only his work ethic and now that's there. Dez is going to be a value in redraft leagues!

Dez is committed this season and he's going to be top 10, maybe even top 5 this season. Everyone knows the talent is there, but people have questioned his work ethic and 'want to'. Dez is committed this season. Yesterday Dez tweets "Had my body fat check today...3.1%". I know someone is going to say body fat percentage doesn't translate to production on the field....you are right! What this does show me is that Dez CARES this year and is out to prove a point, that he is one of the elite. No one questions his talent or skills, but only his work ethic and now that's there. Dez is going to be a value in redraft leagues!
I really doubt he's top 5 with Witten/Austin still around. He may be more productive than both of those guys, but there are too many options for Dez to be completely dominant IMO. If you look at the top few WRs every year, usually they are clearly the go-to guy or have one other great target - Dallas has three very good targets, and I think it's one too many.

I really doubt he's top 5 with Witten/Austin still around. He may be more productive than both of those guys, but there are too many options for Dez to be completely dominant IMO. If you look at the top few WRs every year, usually they are clearly the go-to guy or have one other great target - Dallas has three very good targets, and I think it's one too many.
Top 5 might be a stretch, but not as unrealistic as some would think. Dez finished 19th in PPR leagues least season, which left him 60 points shy of the top 5. If scoring holds approximately the same, it's quite conceivable that Dez could make up those 60 points given that he missed 1 game last year, given that Laurant is gone, and that he's likely to improve this game this season. There is still more than enough stats to go around between Dez, Miles, and Witten to make Dez a top 5 WR. If he's not top 10 in 2012, I'll be shocked and disappointed.

If Dez returns punts, that will likely impact his receiving numbers, at least slightly. Are there any examples of top 10 fantasy WRs who returned more than a trivial number of punts?

If Dez returns punts, that will likely impact his receiving numbers, at least slightly. Are there any examples of top 10 fantasy WRs who returned more than a trivial number of punts?
It's not the norm, but it does happen....every year you can find at least one top punt returner that is a top 20 WR. Last year it was Antonio Brown. Wes Welker had for many years returned punts and ranked in the top 10-20 for punt return yards still being a top WR in the NFL. Here's the list over the last 6-7 years of top 20 punt returners that were also elite/above average WR's:Steve SmithWes WelkerDeSean JacksonSantonio HolmesAntonio BrownWere their WR numbers hurt by returning punts? I'd say maybe or lean towards slightly. If I were a Dez owner, I'd be worried more about Dez getting injured in punt duty than decreasing his productivity on offense.

It's not the norm, but it does happen....every year you can find at least one top punt returner that is a top 20 WR. Last year it was Antonio Brown. Wes Welker had for many years returned punts and ranked in the top 10-20 for punt return yards still being a top WR in the NFL. Here's the list over the last 6-7 years of top 20 punt returners that were also elite/above average WR's:

Steve Smith

Wes Welker

DeSean Jackson

Santonio Holmes

Antonio Brown

Were their WR numbers hurt by returning punts? I'd say maybe or lean towards slightly. If I were a Dez owner, I'd be worried more about Dez getting injured in punt duty than decreasing his productivity on offense.
Consider how the WRs you identified ranked in seasons in which they returned 31+ punts:Smith: WR115 (2001), WR42 (2002), WR15 (2003)

Welker: WR87 (2005), WR57 (2006)

Jackson: WR29 (2008)

Holmes: WR41 (2006), WR38 (2008)

Brown: N/a (no such seasons)

How they ranked when they returned 16-30 punts:

Smith: WR1 (2005)

Welker: WR11 (2007), WR21 (2008), WR12 (2009)

Jackson: WR4 (2009), WR14 (2010), WR27 (2011)

Holmes: N/a (no such seasons)

Brown: WR130 (2010), WR24 (2011)

I believe 16 punt returns is the qualifying threshold for NFL leader boards. I showed the split at 30 punt returns since there is such a contrast in WR production with usage above and below that threshold.

You have stated you think Dez will be top 10, maybe top 5 this year. I don't know if we're missing any others, but this data shows only 2 instances of a top 10 (and top 5) WR returning 20-30 punts and no instances of a top 10 WR returning more than 30 punts.

This data seems to disprove your bolded statement above, since it identifies only 4 seasons in which a top 20 WR has returned 20-30 punts.

How much is Dallas going to use Dez on punt returns? If they plan to use him a lot, I don't think it bodes well for his fantasy production.

'Just Win Baby said:
'Carl Eller said:
'Just Win Baby said:
It's not the norm, but it does happen....every year you can find at least one top punt returner that is a top 20 WR. Last year it was Antonio Brown. Wes Welker had for many years returned punts and ranked in the top 10-20 for punt return yards still being a top WR in the NFL. Here's the list over the last 6-7 years of top 20 punt returners that were also elite/above average WR's:

Steve Smith

Wes Welker

DeSean Jackson

Santonio Holmes

Antonio Brown

Were their WR numbers hurt by returning punts? I'd say maybe or lean towards slightly. If I were a Dez owner, I'd be worried more about Dez getting injured in punt duty than decreasing his productivity on offense.
Consider how the WRs you identified ranked in seasons in which they returned 31+ punts:Smith: WR115 (2001), WR42 (2002), WR15 (2003)

Welker: WR87 (2005), WR57 (2006)

Jackson: WR29 (2008)

Holmes: WR41 (2006), WR38 (2008)

Brown: N/a (no such seasons)

How they ranked when they returned 16-30 punts:

Smith: WR1 (2005)

Welker: WR11 (2007), WR21 (2008), WR12 (2009)

Jackson: WR4 (2009), WR14 (2010), WR27 (2011)

Holmes: N/a (no such seasons)

Brown: WR130 (2010), WR24 (2011)

I believe 16 punt returns is the qualifying threshold for NFL leader boards. I showed the split at 30 punt returns since there is such a contrast in WR production with usage above and below that threshold.

You have stated you think Dez will be top 10, maybe top 5 this year. I don't know if we're missing any others, but this data shows only 2 instances of a top 10 (and top 5) WR returning 20-30 punts and no instances of a top 10 WR returning more than 30 punts.

This data seems to disprove your bolded statement above, since it identifies only 4 seasons in which a top 20 WR has returned 20-30 punts.

How much is Dallas going to use Dez on punt returns? If they plan to use him a lot, I don't think it bodes well for his fantasy production.
You win! I don't have the time nor energy to dig into it that far. LOL.....Thanks though! I don't care if Dez returns punts or not, he'll still at the very worst be top 15, if healthy. He was #19 last season, so we can expect top 15 at the very least.

Dez Bryant changing work habits to set example

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

Dez Bryant is entering his third year in the league -- and whether he's aware of it or not -- he can't keep playing the enigmatic phenom forever.

Perhaps spurred on by recent comments from the owner, Bryant said he's been working harder than ever in OTAs as he attempts to set an example for the Dallas Cowboys' young wide receivers.

"I just feel like I'm stepping up, doing my job, being accountable, making sure that I'm doing the right things so the people that are under me can do the right things," he said Wednesday, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "So you can say, somewhat of a leader."

And while labeling yourself "somewhat of a leader" is hardly Churchillian, give Bryant credit for realizing that teammates do notice how he operates.

"I feel like I'm leading by doing my work, playing hard, trying to take every rep, doing every rep at full speed, 100 percent of the time," he said. "I feel like by me doing that, the younger guys are seeing it."

On balance, Bryant has been a productive receiver for the Cowboys, finishing last season with more than 900 yards and nine touchdowns. But Bryant's potential is starting to give way to expectations. The Cowboys are going to need more from their former first-round pick to justify their investment.

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

Dez Bryant is entering his third year in the league -- and whether he's aware of it or not -- he can't keep playing the enigmatic phenom forever.

Perhaps spurred on by recent comments from the owner, Bryant said he's been working harder than ever in OTAs as he attempts to set an example for the Dallas Cowboys' young wide receivers.

"I just feel like I'm stepping up, doing my job, being accountable, making sure that I'm doing the right things so the people that are under me can do the right things," he said Wednesday, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "So you can say, somewhat of a leader."

And while labeling yourself "somewhat of a leader" is hardly Churchillian, give Bryant credit for realizing that teammates do notice how he operates.

"I feel like I'm leading by doing my work, playing hard, trying to take every rep, doing every rep at full speed, 100 percent of the time," he said. "I feel like by me doing that, the younger guys are seeing it."

On balance, Bryant has been a productive receiver for the Cowboys, finishing last season with more than 900 yards and nine touchdowns. But Bryant's potential is starting to give way to expectations. The Cowboys are going to need more from their former first-round pick to justify their investment.
Leaders don't have to tell others they are the leader.Other thought - people in this thread putting his talent on par with physical freaks like Calvin and Fitz need to pump the breaks a bit.

77/1050/9

Man, as a Dez owner for the first time last year and watching him get hurt on the punt return, I do not like that Jerry Jones statement. Then again, I used to like the Cowboys, but hated Jones for being such an idiot to lose Jimmy Johnson. Knowing the Johnson may have been able to lead them to a record 4 SBs in a row, still hurts as a fan. After Johnson and all his drafts left, the Cowboys haven't been the same. This article just shows how stupid Jones really is. Do you think any of the other owners/coaches of the top tier WRs are even thinking of letting them return punts? Let alone after having him get injured on one last year and absolutely losing production because of it? Loved Jones trying to motivate Dez with the conditioning comments. Well, after no off season, getting hurt in the 1st Quarter of game 1 on a punt return, missing game 2, what did Jones expect?

I think it may be a motivational thing, but if they actually do let him return punts in the pre-season, I am off the bandwagon unless he falls a bit. I am a big believer in the talent when I saw him (healthy), but if they are going to risk him, it isn't worth losing him for a stretch again.

'Faust said:

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

I'd like to continue to see stories like this throughout the offseason. His main problem IMO is work ethic and if we can see that he's working hard and get reports back that he's turning the page and not just "raw" or a "project" it will make me much more comfortable to target him this year. He can be an absolute TD machine if he works hard and applies himself.

'matuski said:
'Faust said:

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

Leaders don't have to tell others they are the leader.Other thought - people in this thread putting his talent on par with physical freaks like Calvin and Fitz need to pump the breaks a bit.

77/1050/9
AJ Green said the same basic thing this year, as did Cam and probably a host of others that I didn't read about. I think it's being a bit nit picky to criticize him for trying to be a leader...these stories are the ones you want to read as opposed to him getting kicked out of clubs, getting pulled over by the cops, running up bills he can't pay, etc..

When talking about "physical freaks", why can't we talk about Dez and Fitz in the same sentence? The things that make Fitz freakish are his incredible hands, route-running, and my-ball attitude. None of those are physically freakish assets. Dez has more of those, in this context, than Fitz does.

If anything, putting Fitz, Calvin, and the words "physical freaks" in the same sentence is the problem. Calvin is the only real physical freak in that sentence, because he's on his own level.

In terms of top dynasty WR's, and physical freakishness, you have Calvin>>>Julio>healthy Andre>>Fitz/Green/Dez>>everybody else. The things that make guys like Green and Fitz special are not really things that make them physical freaks.

Of course, physical freakishness does not an elite WR make.

Interesting article. I wonder if Jerry's punt return comments were just motivation. Clearly Jerry knows Dez had a setback returning punts and if they think he is clearly the guy they want to be the #1 WR, you don't A) waste his off season time worrying about punt returns and B) risk him in any way on punt returns.I may have to keep him after all if I see no signs of punt returns and see him looking good in training camp/pre-season.

Rotoworld

Dez Bryant - WR - Cowboys Cowboys owner/GM Jerry Jones praised Dez Bryant for his conditioning, maturity, and professionalism this week.After previously challenging Bryant for disappearing late in games, Jones now says the receiver's conditioning is meeting expectations. "I know one thing," said Jones. "He certainly is different as far as his maturity and as far as his understanding of what it takes to play in the National Football League than when he got here." If Bryant is finally mastering the mental side side of the game, there's not a better fantasy breakout candidate at wide receiver. Source: Dallas Morning News
I know many Dez owners won't trade Dez at a discount to his potential, but if you are in a league where the Dez owner will, you better hurry up and get him, because that window of opportunity is going to close soon.He is 23 and starting to get it.....talent and situation have never been the question

In a non-ppr I can easily see him finishing as the #2 wr overall. For PPR purposes, he gets knocked down a peg because with Witten and a healthy Austin, he's probably not going to even get 90 receptions. I think we see a line of around 82/1190/11. I put his upside at around 85/1300/15, and his downside at 70/1000/8.

What was his body fat % last year?

Interesting article. I wonder if Jerry's punt return comments were just motivation. Clearly Jerry knows Dez had a setback returning punts and if they think he is clearly the guy they want to be the #1 WR, you don't A) waste his off season time worrying about punt returns and B) risk him in any way on punt returns.I may have to keep him after all if I see no signs of punt returns and see him looking good in training camp/pre-season.
Bingo on motivation. The nicest thing I can say about Bryant's brainpower is he IS the least sharpest knife in the drawer. If veteran Chad Johnson Ochocinco had trouble with the Patriot pass patterns, why do you think Dez will ever run the right pattern? He just does not have the tools between the ears. His lack of mental fortitude shows up most acutely late in the game when it appears he has run out of energy or will. As a neutral Falcon and fantasy fan living here near Dallas and having watched his problems at OK State, I say: Sell

Users who are viewing this thread