What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime (2 Viewers)

So I've been using subscribe and save about 4 months now and I've had at least 6 items canceled on me for no longer being available as part of the program. Kind if annoying, but it still beats going to the grocery store for giant boxes of laundry detergent.
I found subscribe and save to be way less awesome than I thought it would be.

When I first discovered it I was giddy: 20% off, o yeah. Then I found it hard to find things that we used regularly enough in reasonable quantities. It's just me, my wife, and infant son. Having to purchase a lifetime supply eliminates the need for a subscription.

Excitement level was dramatically lower, but I still spent an hour subscribing to enough stuff and staggering it so that I always got the 5 item minimum to get the 20%. I used a spreadsheet to arrange the scheduling and intended to track my usage to tweak it as needed. Then before the third delivery they had cancelled half the stuff I had subscribed to totally ####### up my superawesome spreadsheet.

Now we only have a few "regulars" on there, and I just randomly tack on items as needed to get the 20% discount. I hope toothpaste doesn't expire.
Diapers/wipes are awesome for sub and save
yeah, that's what I was hunting originally. The wipes are great since there is pretty much no quantity they could sell that would be too high, and it's great for our formula, too. But they don't have the brand/size combo that we need in diapers (last time I got my wife to try a different brand based on price/coupons she got a handful of piss-soaked clothes every time she'd pick him up, so that ship has sailed).

I like Amazon still, but between their price increases on a lot of items, making a bunch of stuff "Add On" only and having to pay tax in NJ, it's pretty hard to justify any price increase for myself. I can actually find a lot of my everyday stuff cheaper at local stores now.

So I've been using subscribe and save about 4 months now and I've had at least 6 items canceled on me for no longer being available as part of the program. Kind if annoying, but it still beats going to the grocery store for giant boxes of laundry detergent.
I found subscribe and save to be way less awesome than I thought it would be.

When I first discovered it I was giddy: 20% off, o yeah. Then I found it hard to find things that we used regularly enough in reasonable quantities. It's just me, my wife, and infant son. Having to purchase a lifetime supply eliminates the need for a subscription.

Excitement level was dramatically lower, but I still spent an hour subscribing to enough stuff and staggering it so that I always got the 5 item minimum to get the 20%. I used a spreadsheet to arrange the scheduling and intended to track my usage to tweak it as needed. Then before the third delivery they had cancelled half the stuff I had subscribed to totally ####### up my superawesome spreadsheet.

Now we only have a few "regulars" on there, and I just randomly tack on items as needed to get the 20% discount. I hope toothpaste doesn't expire.
Diapers/wipes are awesome for sub and save
Yup that's what got the wife and I started with Prime. Getting diapers/wipes shipped for free every month is amazing. One less thing we have to worry about making sure we have enough of.

If they're really getting killed on shipping prices, maybe they could be better served coming up with a tiered system of price based on order history. There are probably a good number of people who pay for Prime but don't order enough to come out very far ahead, and you don't want to make those people start crunching numbers to see if it's still worth it with a big price hike, because they'll cancel. Then you have people who make multiple orders a week, where items ship individually sometimes, and that's what's likely really driving up costs. You could probably double the price for those customers and it will still be cost-effective.
Most people who get Prime don't cancel. It's got a ridiculous retention rate.

The increase could also be paving the way to free next day shipping for Prime members in most major metros over the next couple of years.

If they're really getting killed on shipping prices, maybe they could be better served coming up with a tiered system of price based on order history. There are probably a good number of people who pay for Prime but don't order enough to come out very far ahead, and you don't want to make those people start crunching numbers to see if it's still worth it with a big price hike, because they'll cancel. Then you have people who make multiple orders a week, where items ship individually sometimes, and that's what's likely really driving up costs. You could probably double the price for those customers and it will still be cost-effective.
Most people who get Prime don't cancel. It's got a ridiculous retention rate.

The increase could also be paving the way to free next day shipping for Prime members in most major metros over the next couple of years.
I get free next-day shipping without Prime already in LA... (90% of the time, not every time, but still)

We had to know a price increase was coming. It's the same price as it was when all you got was unlimited 2-day shipping.

I'll have to do the calculation to see if it's worth it. If it goes up $20, I'm probably still in.

I don't see myself canceling over a $20 increase. I do more shopping on Amazon than I do all other stores combined, both online and B&M. More often than not, me and Mrs. SB will go somewhere, find the selection isn't all that great then end up saying "let's just get it from Amazon later". She even has an app on her phone that lets her scan in the bar codes and it will return a list of prices from the major online retailers.

I basically only go B&M if it's something I have to see for myself, or I have to have it right now. If I can wait a day or two, it's Amazon all the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think $100 is my tipping point

ETA: I don't use the streaming that often and I get maybe a package a month.

$20 would go unnoticed but $40 is a little steep. I haven't been using any of the streaming or other Prime benefits, so it might not be worth it.

They should come up with a shipping only prime.

If you are only using Prime for stuff and not for Amazon video, you should be aware that you can share a Prime subscription with up to 5 people. I do a chipin thing with my sister each year and it's like $20 per year for me, but I don't get video. No biggee.

A price hike like that will get a worse reception than when Netflix screwed up.
I don't think so. People have been jizzing all over themselves about Amazon over the last year. It's the right time to do it.
I'll probably cancel Netflix streaming when Amazon Prime goes up.
Funny, I'm sitting here thinking I'd cancel Prime and sign up for Netflix. I love the 2-day shipping but in reality it's not all that often that I need something in that time period. Prime streaming selections leave a lot to be desired compared to Netflix.

A price hike like that will get a worse reception than when Netflix screwed up.
I don't think so. People have been jizzing all over themselves about Amazon over the last year. It's the right time to do it.
I'll probably cancel Netflix streaming when Amazon Prime goes up.
Funny, I'm sitting here thinking I'd cancel Prime and sign up for Netflix. I love the 2-day shipping but in reality it's not all that often that I need something in that time period. Prime streaming selections leave a lot to be desired compared to Netflix.
For me, it's not always about the time period necessarily - it strikes a balance between getting it fast and not having to go to a local store for a single item or two. The yearly fee is worth it in shipping costs saved and time and energy saved... when I needed air filters, I got them from Amazon because I wanted them soon and I didn't want to go to Walmart or the grocery store just for that one thing. I had something like 60 orders with Amazon last year, including all my holiday shopping.

I'll most likely drop it if they raise it by $20. If they raise it $40, I'm out for sure.

This past Christmas, they shat the bed and missed "guaranteed" deliveries that were Christmas presents. Sad thing is I could have easily purchased the items locally, but I came to thinking that Amazon Prime was 100% on time, all the time. Never will make that mistake again. They blamed UPS, but UPS didn't "guarantee" delivery, Amazon did.

danielmclark said:
... when I needed air filters,
Thanks for this. I had a note to run through Wal-Mart next week to pick up furnace filters, but thanks to this reminder I just ordered a six-pack on Amazon with free shipping. Silly, but I always forget how many basic household items are available cheaply through Prime.

danielmclark said:
... when I needed air filters,
Thanks for this. I had a note to run through Wal-Mart next week to pick up furnace filters, but thanks to this reminder I just ordered a six-pack on Amazon with free shipping. Silly, but I always forget how many basic household items are available cheaply through Prime.
I buy in bulk on Prime for so many household needs. It's same price if not cheaper than Costco and more convenient.

My Prime is due for renewal in about three weeks, so I probably will be OK for the next year on the $79. Is there anyway to renew your prime early? Just a thought.

I did the 3-month free trial, then signed up for the student price for a few years while getting my Master's. When that was up, I cancelled but they offered me a retention price that was higher than the student rate but lower than the regular rate (maybe right between.) When that was up, I cancelled again, and they offered to renew me for the same reduced rate.

Long story short, I have had it 5 or 6 years and have never paid full price for it, let alone full price plus $40 more. That will be a tough one.

They are building distribution centers in FL so a Prime price increase & having to pay taxes will be a double whammy.

Just had my first Prime shipment arrive to my door. A Google Chromecast and two cases of Hint Water. There is no way I won't get every penny of value out of this, with or without an increase.

Everyone get an email like this one today.

We are writing to provide you advance notice that the price of your Prime membership will be increasing. The annual rate will be $99 when your membership renews on February 23, 2015.

Even as fuel and transportation costs have increased, the price of Prime has remained the same for nine years. Since 2005, the number of items eligible for unlimited free Two-Day Shipping has grown from one million to over 20 million. We also added unlimited access to over 40,000 movies and TV episodes with Prime Instant Video and a selection of over 500,000 books to borrow from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.
Luckily I just renewed!!!

We are writing to provide you advance notice that the price of your Prime membership will be increasing. The annual rate will be $99 when your membership renews on February 23, 2015.

Even as fuel and transportation costs have increased, the price of Prime has remained the same for nine years. Since 2005, the number of items eligible for unlimited free Two-Day Shipping has grown from one million to over 20 million. We also added unlimited access to over 40,000 movies and TV episodes with Prime Instant Video and a selection of over 500,000 books to borrow from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.
yup...but I am due in Aprileta...still only 79 this year

Not for me.

"The annual rate will be $99 when your membership renews on April 23, 2014."

ETA: not complaining. I'm surprised it took this long. Still one of the best values going.

Got the same thing. No complaints.

Other companies could take a lesson from Amazon. When you provide a good value and outstanding customer service, people don't get too bent out of shape when you're forced to raise prices.

Not for me.

"The annual rate will be $99 when your membership renews on April 23, 2014."

ETA: not complaining. I'm surprised it took this long. Still one of the best values going.
"We are writing to provide you advance notice that the price of your Prime membership will be increasing. The annual rate will be $99 when your membership renews on July 2, 2014."

I'm outraged.

Just to get back at them, I'm gonna buy 200 prime eligible items per month to offset the increase!!!

I haven't given their movie section any play.

As someone who has Netflix, and doesn't rush out to catch new releases, is there stuff on Prime I should be watching?

Shows? Movies?

As someone who has Netflix, and doesn't rush out to catch new releases, is there stuff on Prime I should be watching?

Shows? Movies?
They have some original programming (heard some positives, some negatives) and I know a couple shows are on there that aren't on Netflix (I believe The Americans is on there). Not a reason to get Prime alone IMO, but not a bad added bonus.

I got the email this morning but I just renewed last month. I'll keep it for $99.

I don't use much of the movie stream but will participate in the book exchange library when I finally get my kindle. I keep putting it off.

Shows? Movies?
They have quite a few TV/Cable series for free. Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, the full series of Freaks & Geeks. There are some series that you have to pay for though (such as Breaking Bad).

Makes no sense. 79 is a prime number. 99 isn't.

FYI, Amazon is about to intro a free music streaming service as part of Prime.
Now, if you can convince them to go into the MVNO wireless business... ;)

I got the email this morning but I just renewed last month. I'll keep it for $99.

I don't use much of the movie stream but will participate in the book exchange library when I finally get my kindle. I keep putting it off.
My only problem with the book exchange is you can only do one book. We have four Kindles, all purchased from Amazon, and we can only do one book at a time. Sux.

Users who are viewing this thread