What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Cole Beasley, BUF (1 Viewer)

That study (first link on search, I can post the lancet link too) that shows some neurological damage from Covid infection would likely push me over the edge if I were vaccine hesitant. 
https://cw34.com/news/local/new-study-finds-evidence-of-brain-damage-from-covid-19

Dying from Covid seems to be the end all be all some people focus on in their calculus, but, for example, my sister in law still has no sense of smell since December. Much to the delight of her gaseous husband..,
This is what amuses me about people who talk about the unknown long term risks of getting vaxed.  

Just because there's a very low chance of you dropping dead from it, the long term risks and unknowns are way more of a gamble than getting jabbed.  

FOX 13 Tampa Bay @FOX13News 12h

The highly contagious coronavirus mutation that ripped through India and Europe is in the United States and the strain has popped up in Florida. It’s called the Delta variant and it threatens a specific group: the unvaccinated.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/delta-variant-poses-heightened-risk-to-unvaccinated-floridians-doctors-say?taid=60d1510ae21cb900013b6fff&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter
I'd take this more seriously if they didnt already run this story with the South African, UK, Brazilian and Indian variants already. 

I'll wager the Echo variant will be even scarier. 

Same.  

I want Beasley to get vaccinated because I don't want him missing any games.  Otherwise, he's a grown adult and I don't care how he chooses to live his life.  His choice to get vaccinated or not has no affect on me whatsoever, so my approach is to do what any red-blooded American should do in a situation like this -- mind my own business.
I agree with everything you say here. 

However, to extend the mental exercise to what I take as the original issue (whether the NFL can or should put in stringent restrictions/protocols for unvaccinated players), I take it you're equally okay with the NFL not letting him play if he isn't going to follow their guidelines?

I agree with everything you say here. 

However, to extend the mental exercise to what I take as the original issue (whether the NFL can or should put in stringent restrictions/protocols for unvaccinated players), I take it you're equally okay with the NFL not letting him play if he isn't going to follow their guidelines?
Yes, definitely.  Their league, their rules.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
That study (first link on search, I can post the lancet link too) that shows some neurological damage from Covid infection would likely push me over the edge if I were vaccine hesitant. 
https://cw34.com/news/local/new-study-finds-evidence-of-brain-damage-from-covid-19

Dying from Covid seems to be the end all be all some people focus on in their calculus, but, for example, my sister in law still has no sense of smell since December. Much to the delight of her gaseous husband..,
My friend didn’t die, so he’s part of the 99.6% statistic that is routinely cited. He was, however, hospitalized on a vent, near death, and is still suffering massive health effects, including physical issues requiring therapy so he has the strength to walk again.

Right.  This is why I am hesitant to get my kids their second shots, they almost certainly already had it, and the disease was never a threat to them in the first place.

I am currently satisfied with 92% (although they got pfizer) protection against a largely non existent risk to them.

eta - also why @bigbottom's nephew is likely perfectly covered and shouldnt worry about the likes of Beasley.
I didn’t realize the efficacy was so high with just the first dose. 

Yes, definitely.  Their league, their rules.
Oh I’m good with that as well. Again, my response was to people who were arguing that he should (1) be able to refuse to get a vaccination; (2) and play football without having to follow the NFL’s required protocols for unvaccinated players.  I’m perfectly fine with his decision not to get vaccinated so long as he’s either willing to follow the protocols or not play. 

Anybody you're still listening to who tells you this is mistaken.  The vaccines work really well.  

If you're not vaccinated for some reason, you should be very skittish about hanging out with other unvaccinated people.  If you're vaccinated, you're pretty much golden.  I imagine that lots of us will look back on Q1-Q2 2021 six months from now and wonder why we made such a big deal out of this kind of thing -- it's not logical.
First off, there are people close to me who, due to medical reasons, cannot currently take the vaccine. You may have people close to you in this same situation. The more folks who don’t take the vaccine, the more risk they put these folks close to me in. That IS my business. 

Second, we don’t know yet how long the vaccine will last. We don’t know how effective it will be against new and stronger variants. This is why most health experts say that we need to achieve herd immunity and that those who are unvaccinated pose a long term threat to all of us. That IS my business. 

But putting both those arguments aside- as you know I used to be a libertarian like yourself. I still retain many libertarian ideas. But the reason I’m no longer a libertarian is because I can’t really accept this “not my business” philosophy. If 35% of the population, actually if ANY percent of the population decides to risk getting sick and dying mostly due to false information and general ignorance I feel that is our collective responsibility as a nation. All of us are responsible for them, to prevent them from being stupid if we can. We need to pressure them as much as possible to get the vaccine. It’s on all of us. 

I am fine with anyone that decides not to get vaccinated.   It is a personal choice but they need to realize that some business, organizations, etc. may choose to impose restrictions, requirements, etc. to protect others.  

I also think that is worth noting that if not for the 65% of the population getting vaccinated,  this country would still be in the same shape we were in a year ago.  

Last edited by a moderator:
But putting both those arguments aside- as you know I used to be a libertarian like yourself. I still retain many libertarian ideas. But the reason I’m no longer a libertarian is because I can’t really accept this “not my business” philosophy. If 35% of the population, actually if ANY percent of the population decides to risk getting sick and dying mostly due to false information and general ignorance I feel that is our collective responsibility as a nation. All of us are responsible for them, to prevent them from being stupid if we can. We need to pressure them as much as possible to get the vaccine. It’s on all of us. 
Oddly, my thought process somewhat aligns with this. I hate the idea of a government telling its citizens they must get some sort of medical treatment. However, I start to sway from this premise when 1) them not getting vaccinated puts other at risk; and 2) tax dollars are being used to then pay for their medical treatment. 

The Buffalo News’ Jay Skurski speculates that Cole Beasley being released “shouldn’t be entirely ruled out.”

Beasley, one of the NFL's outspoken players on vaccination, could “save the Bills the trouble if he follows through on his retirement threat.” Trading or releasing Beasley saves $5.3 million on the 2021 cap. Buffalo signed veteran slot WR Emmanuel Sanders this offseason and could use the Beasley savings towards a Josh Allen extension. Moving on from the 32-year-old would leave dead-money hits of $2 million and $1.5 million the next two seasons.

SOURCE: Buffalo News

Jul 17, 2021, 11:10 AM ET

The Buffalo News’ Jay Skurski speculates that Cole Beasley being released “shouldn’t be entirely ruled out.”
So if anyone wants to read any actual NFL football news about Cole Beasley, they now have to come to the Politics Sub Forum. 

Yeah, that makes sense. SMH. ☹️

First off, there are people close to me who, due to medical reasons, cannot currently take the vaccine. You may have people close to you in this same situation. The more folks who don’t take the vaccine, the more risk they put these folks close to me in. That IS my business. 

Second, we don’t know yet how long the vaccine will last. We don’t know how effective it will be against new and stronger variants. This is why most health experts say that we need to achieve herd immunity and that those who are unvaccinated pose a long term threat to all of us. That IS my business. 

dang good post even though I disagree a little.

I would be legitimately shocked if the Bills released Beasley.  He has a great rapport with Allen, and the drop-off from Beasley to whoever his replacement in the slot would be (McKenzie I guess -- maybe Sanders but then that opens up another vacancy elsewhere) is massive.  Everybody associated with Buffalo thinks the team is realistically set up for super bowl run.  They're not cutting a key weapon on offense unless this escalates a lot.  

I would be legitimately shocked if the Bills released Beasley.  He has a great rapport with Allen, and the drop-off from Beasley to whoever his replacement in the slot would be (McKenzie I guess -- maybe Sanders but then that opens up another vacancy elsewhere) is massive.  Everybody associated with Buffalo thinks the team is realistically set up for super bowl run.  They're not cutting a key weapon on offense unless this escalates a lot.  
I doubt very much that they'll cut Beasley. They'll grin and bear it and hold it at arm's length like a parent changing a diaper.

I'd take this more seriously if they didnt already run this story with the South African, UK, Brazilian and Indian variants already. 

I'll wager the Echo variant will be even scarier. 
Yeah, that's sort of how mutations and evolution work: when a virus "discovers" a better way to spread and attack, that variant spreads better and becomes dominant. Unsuccessful mutations die off and disappear without being heard of. 

IvanKaramazov said:
He isn't getting cut unless there's something major going on behind the scenes.  As much as his comments might have gained traction in the national media, it's basically a :shrug:  non-issue around here.  Skurski is usually a pretty reliable reporter, so it's probably not entirely made-up, but I'd be really surprised.  I know Gabriel Davis was good last year, and Sanders will help, but losing both John Brown and Beasley back-to-back would definitely be detrimental to the offense.

I want Beasley to get vaccinated because I don't want him missing any games.  Otherwise, he's a grown adult and I don't care how he chooses to live his life.  His choice to get vaccinated or not has no affect on me whatsoever, so my approach is to do what any red-blooded American should do in a situation like this -- mind my own business.
His choice about vaccination does statistically affect anyone he breathes near.

I'm not trying to make a point about public policy implications. Just saying that, factually, herd immunity is a group effort; and vaccinations aren't 100% effective, so he's statistically increasing vaccinated people's risk as well.

His choice about vaccination does statistically affect anyone he breathes near.

I'm not trying to make a point about public policy implications. Just saying that, factually, herd immunity is a group effort; and vaccinations aren't 100% effective, so he's statistically increasing vaccinated people's risk as well.
Not statistically significant.

People draft fantasy football players based on their politics?  :lmao:
No, but they do draft based on expected availability (it's not a stretch by any means to say that unvaxxed players are at higher risk of missing games) and team/player/role situation (there's a chance that if he becomes too large a distraction that Buffalo would cut him, although I agree with Ivan's assessment that this is pretty unlikely).  This really shouldn't be controversial or surprising.

No, but they do draft based on expected availability (it's not a stretch by any means to say that unvaxxed players are at higher risk of missing games) and team/player/role situation (there's a chance that if he becomes too large a distraction that Buffalo would cut him, although I agree with Ivan's assessment that this is pretty unlikely).  This really shouldn't be controversial or surprising.
I didn't say controversial.  It's quite hilarious though and I suspect it has zero to do with potential availability.  

Not on politics.  :rolleyes:   

The drop in his ADP is based on the perception that he may be cut from the Bills and then have to find a new team or maybe even retire (latter seems unlikely). 
Not even in the same universe of your original post.  Good pivot though

Not even in the same universe of your original post.  Good pivot though
Exactly in the same universe, as referenced by the fact that his ADP has been dropping due to the perception of his value, following his COVID tweets and public statements. There are other players who were ranked equally to him before this controversy that fantasy owners have opted to take instead as they don't involve the same degree of risk. 

Exactly in the same universe, as referenced by the fact that his ADP has been dropping due to the perception of his value, following his COVID tweets and public statements. There are other players who were ranked equally to him before this controversy that fantasy owners have opted to take instead as they don't involve the same degree of risk. 
Can you provide the ADP trends of all players that tweeted about covid?

Can you provide the ADP trends of all players that tweeted about covid?
Not necessary as Beasley is the highest profile offensive player who has tweeted he won't be vaccinated that I am aware of (in fact, I don't know of any others, I did read that Sam Darnold is still thinking about getting vaccinated but don't remember seeing a tweet). 

And somehow I doubt players advocating vaccinations or announcing that they have been vaccinated would see their ADP drop.

NFL teams don't like to deal with players who cause distractions (see Colin Kaepernick). If it reaches the point with Beasley that his value to the team is less than the negative press he is causing, then he will be cut (which is why his value has been dropping). 

Money talks

The NFL can't mandate vaccines but money talks...I like this and definitely wish more private enterprises went this route.  I suspect more will when the FDA finally approves, but this will help.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero 2h

The NFL just informed clubs that if a game cannot be rescheduled during the 18-week season in 2021 due to a COVID outbreak among unvaccinated players, the team with the outbreak will FORFEIT and be credited with a loss for playoff seeding, per sources.

Massive implications.

Here’s more from today’s memo, which also says the team responsible for a canceled game because of an outbreak among unvaccinated players/staff will be responsible for financial losses and subject to potential discipline from the commissioner. Wow.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1418256770305335299

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero 2h

The NFL just informed clubs that if a game cannot be rescheduled during the 18-week season in 2021 due to a COVID outbreak among unvaccinated players, the team with the outbreak will FORFEIT and be credited with a loss for playoff seeding, per sources.

Massive implications.

Here’s more from today’s memo, which also says the team responsible for a canceled game because of an outbreak among unvaccinated players/staff will be responsible for financial losses and subject to potential discipline from the commissioner. Wow.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1418256770305335299
I'd wager if this stays, there will be no unvaccinated replacement level players on any team.  It's not worth the risk.  Stars and significant contributors (I'd put Beasley in the significant contributors category, myself) are a different story, of course.

I'd wager if this stays, there will be no unvaccinated replacement level players on any team.  It's not worth the risk.  Stars and significant contributors (I'd put Beasley in the significant contributors category, myself) are a different story, of course.
Maybe Beasley is playing the long con here.  Refuses to comply, gets cut, nobody picks him up and he becomes the right-wing Colin Kaepernick, signing lucrative endorsement deals with Essential Oils, Smith&Wesson and Chick Fil-A

He isn't getting cut unless there's something major going on behind the scenes.  As much as his comments might have gained traction in the national media, it's basically a :shrug:  non-issue around here.  Skurski is usually a pretty reliable reporter, so it's probably not entirely made-up, but I'd be really surprised.  I know Gabriel Davis was good last year, and Sanders will help, but losing both John Brown and Beasley back-to-back would definitely be detrimental to the offense.
Starting to think this might not be such a lock, based on today's news.

The rest of that article is so disheartening, yet not surprising. Poorer communities have a history of vaccinations being forced upon them with no understanding of what the vaccinators were trying to do. It was like a seizure of assets, only the assets were bodies, many of whom were children and babies.

We do not have a good public health past, and it continues to this day.

I am fully in favor of vaccinations, have gone for both Pfizer shots, and endorse the notion of vaccination to the nth degree. I can just see why in certain communities, ignorance still reigns supreme when it comes to vaccines. It's an uncomfortable truth, but demographically, there are well-known issues.

Users who are viewing this thread