What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (19 Viewers)

Why wouldn’t it happen? If it opens in the $2s, why in the world would his options not be called? I don’t get options but if I bought puts from you, this would be the exact moment I force you to buy my shares. Why would I wait?
Because if you bought the put you are free rolling.  Why force the sale now at $5 when it could go to $8 by June 19th?  If on June 19th it is trading below $5 it will automatically be sold at $5.

I sold some NERV puts at 5 strike.  Mentioned a few pages ago that I like to close positions once I can get around 50% of the premium received.  Letting it go to expiration is keeping risk on the table for a long time and keeps funds tied up as well.  I'm so thankful that I closed this position on Tuesday this week.  Locked in just over 50%.  

I was caught holding this sort of bag in late 2018 when a stock plummeted on a bit of news from the company.  

As someone said up thread, those option prices are juicy for a reason.  Lots of risk surround volatile stock prices.  I hope everyone in this trade is okay.  It can be gut-wrenching seeing prices fall like this when you're holding a position.   :(   
Nice trade. I had an order to buy back my $7.50 puts on Tuesday this week, too, but the order never filled. It's been flat or down since then/ Plus, I don't think I ever got to the 50% gain plateau so you may have sold your puts earlier than I did. I'm kicking myself, but my losses are contained to within the limits of other dogs I've bought before (cobalt, I am looking at you). 

So I was basically all cash in my brokerage heading into today.  Opened up a few small positions on some things that fell 3-5% today.  

Is this trump china news going to be a killer?  Non issue?  Did it even happen yet?
I'm don't think it's happened yet. Does anyone have any guesses as to what will happen?

He sold 120 contracts which equates to 12000 shares, at $5, $7.50 or $10. It is "that bad" unless he has an enormous portfolio. I feel for the guy, literally, as I'm also on the wrong end of the trade but nothing like his exposure.
Holy smokes--that doesn't sound good. I don't really understand or do the options thing--but based on the numbers you just mentioned--what is the best and worse case scenario for him financially?

Random question.

Is there some way to look at a live updated list of stonks in order of current performance, such as an ordered list of stonks that are down the highest percentage on the day at that time?
Think or swim has pre-built watch lists for things like this every day. I'd have to imagine there are quite a few websites that do as well. 

Holy smokes--that doesn't sound good. I don't really understand or do the options thing--but based on the numbers you just mentioned--what is the best and worse case scenario for him financially?
Best case: The price per share gets above $10 (or whatever the highest strike put he sold), he is not required to buy any shares and he keeps the full $40K (or whatever it was in premium) as profit. Worst case, the stock goes to zero. He made $40K in premium but needs to buy 12000 shares at an average cost of $7 (just guessing his average), and loses $84K for a net loss of 44K.  

So as someone who sold a couple of these puts, how exactly does this work?  Someone on the other end could exercise the option and force me to buy at the strike price, but is it possible they don’t?  If they exercise the option I’m forced to buy, right?  And my other option would be to buy to close them for whatever the going rate is, right?

if they force me to buy will the shares just automatically show Up in my account and cash/margin deducted?
Yes, if the option is exercised you'll receive the shares at the strike you selected when you sold.  If your strike was around 5 it isn't as bad as if it were, say, 13.  It could go to 0 and you'd buy 200 shares (two puts) at $13.  You can then sell them at market value or just hold them and hope they go back up in time.  

I did this on another stock where the strike was 210.  It plummeted down to $50 almost over night.  Fortunately for me, I sold puts via credit spread.  So yes, I had to buy at 210 but I could exercise my other side of the trade at 205.  So I only lost a couple grand.  If I had some just puts... it would have been brutal.  

For cheap stocks like this, having to buy them at $5 isn't so bad.  Depending on how many puts you sold and the size of your portfolio.  

Because if you bought the put you are free rolling.  Why force the sale now at $5 when it could go to $8 by June 19th?  If on June 19th it is trading below $5 it will automatically be sold at $5.
I don't know that you "free roll" it, especially if you think a rebound is in the cards. Maybe the investor sells half of the puts to net a profit and then holds the rest in case the company goes bankrupt. Just the opposite if a stock doubles--some like to sell half and then ride the rest. But you are correct, they will not literally transact shares.

Just sold the CYDY I bought yesterday at $2.81 for $2.90.  Small profit, but usually when I sell it pushes the price up the rest of the day.

Now I'm really lost. 
Me too. If I bought a put which forces the other guy to buy my shares at $10, why would I ever give it a chance to go back up? One would think if it sells in the 2s, it’s near the bottom. Why would I risk it going back up? I can see selling that option again but why would someone else pay a premium for something at the peak?

Why wouldn’t it happen? If it opens in the $2s, why in the world would his options not be called? I don’t get options but if I bought puts from you, this would be the exact moment I force you to buy my shares. Why would I wait?
There isn't a button or anything to exercise and option early.  You have to call the broker and get them to grant an exception, and then it can take any amount of time for them to actually do it during which the share price could move while you're waiting.

It's usually easier to just re-sell the put for almost the same profit, which can be done instantly.  At that point the new owner is no longer in the green (since they bought at the new higher price) and has no motive to exercise early.

Me too. If I bought a put which forces the other guy to buy my shares at $10, why would I ever give it a chance to go back up? One would think if it sells in the 2s, it’s near the bottom. Why would I risk it going back up? I can see selling that option again but why would someone else pay a premium for something at the peak?
I think what they were getting at was the guy (put buyer) could now buy the shares at $2 and if they go above $10 they get the gain on those share and are just out the premium if it goes above $10.

Well options have time value. In theory, you should never exercise early because you're losing that value. For simplicity sake, if you sold a put at $5, and the stock is trading at $2, the put on expiration is worth $3. But it is probably trading at some premium to $3, say $3.50. Just as you collected a premium for selling the put, there is still a premium because the stock could go down further. So why would you exercise for $3 of gain when at the very least, you can just sell it for $3.50?

I'm not an expert on options trading but very rarely have I seen early assignment. It is likely around dividends or some other weird situation. This could rise to that weird situation depending on where prices are but I doubt it. 

If I had sold a put though, I'd probably be trying to short the stock to hedge some or all of my risk. Put in a limit order at like $4-ish or whatever price you'd want to get out and hope you get executed on. Otherwise, probably just better off holding on and hoping you get a short squeeze in the near-term.

if you buy a stock and it goes up, why would you ever give it a chance to go back down? It can go higher, of course. On the flip side, if someone bought a put and the share price goes to $2, you are correct that the potential for more gain is limited, but if you believe it's going to zero, then you hold the put because it will go up in value. Same kind of risk/reward but opposite direction plus there is a limit to how much the put could be worth. But same principle.

So as a soon to be vested long term NERV share owner, how much of a death knell is this for the company long-term?  The stock has generally been around $5 but seems to spike up into the double digits a couple of times per year.  Is that possibly in the cards again or has the entire company's stock history been based on this one drug so hence no more spikes in the cards?

Anyone want to buy some NERV? ... I've got plenty to spare here.

Trading halted for the 3rd time ... likely done for the day at $4.50.

I'm guessing it settle at around $2 or so next week.

Sold puts at $10's, $7.50's ... lots of $5's and a bunch of $2.50's

This one is gonna sting. Sorry to those that followed me.

Bout the worst possible outcome ... other than them going bankrupt .. which is still on the table.

If they can stay afloat, 2 more drugs in the pipeline ... so maybe I can recoup a little down the road.

Bout the worst possible outcome ... other than them going bankrupt .. which is still on the table.

If they can stay afloat, 2 more drugs in the pipeline ... so maybe I can recoup a little down the road.
You are a stand up guy for coming back in here under these circumstances.  That good karma will pay off in the future.

I did laugh at your first line...I hope that's what you intended.

eta: Hopefully it turns out better and this is a massive overreaction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good morning, brother. No need to apologize. I went in with eyes wide open. Glad to see that you are here among us and hanging in there.

See you at the shareholder meeting...

I got all excited this morning because someone bought a ####-ton of NERV calls yesterday right before close, then it came out the results were dropping this morning and lots of people were hammering that buy as clearly insider trading (given the circumstances of the call purchases and the early release of results it seemed to point to the results being good).  So I had about 5 min there thinking we were all going to be rolling in dough.

I don't fully understand the options game--but with that said--I wish you the best.  Hopefully one of their other drugs pan out.  While we might not all agree on stock picks or market outlooks-- I think we all root for fellow fbg's to do well.  Positive vibes your way man.   

So as a soon to be vested long term NERV share owner, how much of a death knell is this for the company long-term?  The stock has generally been around $5 but seems to spike up into the double digits a couple of times per year.  Is that possibly in the cards again or has the entire company's stock history been based on this one drug so hence no more spikes in the cards?
As I mentioned above, the report was not good but there were some silver linings. The treatment was well tolerated and the higher dosed group did achieve statistically significant results. I don't know enough about the FDA and meds and such, but I know statistics, and some of their other "sub-groups" had results that were *almost* statistically significant. True, other groups showed essentially no effect. Could this lead to bankruptcy? I suppose so, but I read the report as not the end of the road but more of a guide to further study. Like many small biotechs, though, they could easily run out of cash before the payoff, so I'm not going to completely sugar coat the situation.

ETA: From the CEO: "Even though this study didn't achieve its primary and key secondary endpoints, primarily due to a larger than expected placebo effect at Week 12, results obtained with the 64 mg dose including the early onset of effect and functional improvement as measured by PSP suggest roluperidone merits continued investigation for the treatment of primary negative symptoms," said Chief Executive Remy Luthringer. 

I don't fully understand the options game--but with that said--I wish you the best.  Hopefully one of their other drugs pan out.  While we might not all agree on stock picks or market outlooks-- I think we all root for fellow fbg's to do well.  Positive vibes your way man.   
Me either and when it blows up like this, I feel glad that I don't. Of course all these drug companies are susceptible to massive instant beat downs.

NERV is trading very choppily. For anyone interested, it tried to open at $4.50 but was halted. Poked its head out at $2.20 a bit ago and then now it jumped to $2.53. It appears halted again but it might just be my lame tech setup. Could this pop back up to $4 or $4.50? Sure. Come get your gambling fix.

ETA: Gapped up to $2.84 just now

So by my calculations I will be an owner of 800 shares of NERV at a cost basis of $7.98 after June 19 hits, with about $2000 collected in premium.  Not quite as horrible as I'd first thought.

I don't know that you "free roll" it, especially if you think a rebound is in the cards. Maybe the investor sells half of the puts to net a profit and then holds the rest in case the company goes bankrupt. Just the opposite if a stock doubles--some like to sell half and then ride the rest. But you are correct, they will not literally transact shares.
Sorry I am assuming the person who bought the puts owned the shares long.  If that is the case then yes they no the have a for sure sale price at $5 up until June 19th so they could just wait and see if the price recovers.  If the bought a naked put then yes covering for a profit makes sense.  They could also cover for a profit if they owned the shares long.

Sucks to see it drop by $10 for the first halt down and now every time we go up 30 to 50 cents we got volatility halted up.

Me either and when it blows up like this, I feel glad that I don't. Of course all these drug companies are susceptible to massive instant beat downs.
Let me throw some love to Bossman with an explanation even though I know he's done this before. Suppose you liked the stock three weeks ago when it was trading at $10 per share and you've got $20 grand to invest. You could outright buy 2000 shares and, let's assume the thing is at $2.50 now (sheesh), you are now down 75%. Your holding is worth $5000.

Instead, Bossman and his band of merry put sellers decided to sell puts three weeks ago. They can sell a $5 put contract for about $0.80 which represents 100 shares. With the $20 grand stake, they have collateral to sell 40 contracts (representing 4000 shares at $5 per share), making $3200 in premium.  If those shares are now worth only $2.50, those 4000 shares would only be worth $10000. Add that to the $3200 premium and these folks are only down 35%. Their investment is now worth $13200.

Don't pity the folks who sold puts. Pity those who bought shares at $10. To say it another way, selling puts is more conservative than buying shares outright. But in both cases, sometimes we invest poorly and end up on the wrong side of the trade.

So by my calculations I will be an owner of 800 shares of NERV at a cost basis of $7.98 after June 19 hits, with about $2000 collected in premium.  Not quite as horrible as I'd first thought.
We need a support group. I'll be in for 1200 shares at a cost basis of $6.25 with about $2000 in premium not even factored in to that cost. Max loss is $5500 if it goes to zero, break even is at $4.60. I'm not dying over here but it isn't pleasant.

We need a support group. I'll be in for 1200 shares at a cost basis of $6.25 with about $2000 in premium not even factored in to that cost. Max loss is $5500 if it goes to zero, break even is at $4.60. I'm not dying over here but it isn't pleasant.
Selling puts at 5 or 7.50 strike is much safer than doing this with a stock currently trading in the 100s or 200s or more.  Lots and lots of room to fall with those.  At 5, not as much a blow if it drops to $2.  Hang on to the shares and you're back in business when it's back over 5 or 7.50.  

Guys can also roll those trades out another month if they think the extra time will allow the SP to get back up over their strike.

I am confused. Sorry. I have never dabbled in options until NERV. Not sure I will again for awhile as I need to gather a better education of these before I do. But right now my line looks like this. 

NERV 5.00 PUT

JUN 19, 2020

5 shares

2.50 last

+ 1.50 change

$597.30 total g/L

$1,250.00 MKT value

Can anyone explain. Can I sell? Should I? Sorry for my lack of knowledge and I appreciate everyone's input here. 

BREAKING NEWS: finally on the draft kings train 🚂 
Just took profits on DKNG. Up nice but I'm unsure on the rise being legit. I'm probably wrong. 

@Todem what are your thoughts on DFS right now? Big rise.. just got dropped to neutral/bearing ESS score. Good time to take profits? 

Just took profits on DKNG. Up nice but I'm unsure on the rise being legit. I'm probably wrong. 

@Todem what are your thoughts on DFS right now? Big rise.. just got dropped to neutral/bearing ESS score. Good time to take profits? 
If your looking for a short term trade yes. I am going long on this one. 

I am confused. Sorry. I have never dabbled in options until NERV. Not sure I will again for awhile as I need to gather a better education of these before I do. But right now my line looks like this. 

NERV 5.00 PUT

JUN 19, 2020

5 shares

2.50 last

+ 1.50 change

$597.30 total g/L

$1,250.00 MKT value

Can anyone explain. Can I sell? Should I? Sorry for my lack of knowledge and I appreciate everyone's input here. 
Looks like you sold 5 puts for June 19. You may choose to do nothing and wait. If the price per share reaches $5 or more come June 19th, then you keep your premiums and can wipe your hands clean of NERV. If you want to exit your position, you need to buy those five puts. At this moment, they cost $2.50 each so it would cost you $1250 to buy them back, plus transaction fees. You would want to do this if you think the price per share will go even lower than it is now. If you think it will rise, then you could buy those puts in between now and June 19th. If the price per share is higher, then the puts would be cheaper and you would lose less.

Users who are viewing this thread