Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

38 minutes ago, KGB said:

Glad you waited.  I originally got in about $18 and even though I bought more yesterday, still in the green 8%.

I just think this is a cpmpany that in 10 years, you say, duh. The biggest name data company with all the GOVT contracts.  So, I'm very long term on this buy.

I do think there will be more dips just because it went so high so quick and it’s kind of lumped together with all the SPACs and EVs that have been jumping lately. Kind of like how Amazon and other tech related stocks got bucketed in the WFH stocks.

I’ll keep building a position.

• Replies 49.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fantasycurse42

• BassNBrew

• stbugs

• St. Louis Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First reference.  Brings a tear to my eye. $CYDY #notselling

I cashed out an underperforming account at ETrade about a year ago and the cash (about $950) just sat there as I had dulled on trading.  My cousin's wife Laura, who I was really close to, then di

"I know, dear, but I'm trusting Chet on this one. Yes, Chet. From the internet. "

5 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

Not sure why but LGVW up 5% after hours.  

Ebbs and flows. Past few days were rough on SPAC type stuff and some tech stocks popped tonight likely igniting the SPACs.

13 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

Not sure why but LGVW up 5% after hours.  

Cathie Wood is a noted investor and her funds bought LGVW today.  She has a strong following that tails her on buys.

I saw this and now I'm taking a closer look because she and her team are some of the sharpest tech investor minds in the world.

Edited by TripItUp
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Cathie Wood is a noted investor and her funds bought LGVW today.  She has a strong following that tails her on buys.

I saw this and now I'm taking a closer look because she and her team are some of the sharpest tech investor minds in the world.

By chance are you my ex-wife?

1 minute ago, TripItUp said:

haha, she's a K. Wood fan?

Just poking at how much you change your mind.

You held some pretty firm convictions on DKNG so I was surprised how quickly you changed your mind here.

14 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Very interesting!

2 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Just poking at how much you change your mind.

You held some pretty firm convictions on DKNG so I was surprised how quickly you changed your mind here.

can't have the same mindset on all stocks IMHO.   DKNG is a unique company in an emerging market.  LGVW not so much.  My doctor buddies are not run of the mill MDs.  They have made me a lot of money over the past 10 years.   Got me in on CRISPR early...made a boatload.  

Nothing wrong with listening to other informed opinions.

Edited by TripItUp
4 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

can't have the same mindset on all stocks IMHO.   DKNG is a unique company in an emerging market.  LGVW not so much.  My doctor buddies are not run of the mill MDs.  They have made me a lot of money over the past 10 years.   Got me in on CRISPR early...made a boatload.  

Nothing wrong with listening to other informed opinions.

It's all good.  Your initial post didn't have much info so I was like WTF?  Appreciate the follow up explaining why you changed your mind.

5 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Maybe Bezos should have been doing some work rather than sitting on the couch eating chips and letting his company go down the toilet.

I hope Jeff is enjoying some well deserved time off. Made me a fortune this year. :wub:

21 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Wood buying wasn’t today. That’s week old news. That’s why it popped up before dropping Monday/Tuesday. It’s popped today because it’s an SPAC and some of them move in sympathy. Just like EVs and WFH/tech stocks. That’s been happening a lot this year.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Capella said:

I hope Jeff is enjoying some well deserved time off. Made me a fortune this year. :wub:

Hasn't done diddly in 4 months.  That's plenty of time off.  GE was a great stock back in the day too.  Now that I mentioned it, even GE has about doubled during the last 4 months.  Freaking department stores like Kohl's and Nordstrom have doubled in that time.  Companies that don't even have a product like RIDE and NNOX have doubled in that time.  Floating petri dishes are punching him in the nose like they are a young Tyson.  It's like he's running an inverse ETF during a bull run.  Dude needs to take some lessons from Elon, he doesn't take time off and neither does his stock.  Stonks go up, get with the program Jeffrey.

3 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Hasn't done diddly in 4 months.  That's plenty of time off.  GE was a great stock back in the day too.  Now that I mentioned it, even GE has about doubled during the last 4 months.  Freaking department stores like Kohl's and Nordstrom have doubled in that time.  Companies that don't even have a product like RIDE and NNOX have doubled in that time.  Floating petri dishes are punching him in the nose like they are a young Tyson.  It's like he's running an inverse ETF during a bull run.  Dude needs to take some lessons from Elon, he doesn't take time off and neither does his stock.  Stonks go up, get with the program Jeffrey.

Agree.  I'm pretty pissed.  I have 70+ shares and im in the red.  I coulda played darts and made more :angry:

Better not see "christmas was already factored in" after they blow away earnings.

Edited by KGB
1 hour ago, TripItUp said:

incorrect...she bought 259,096  shares on 12/2.  

I'll bet you on it if you want action.

Here you go from 11/24:

https://m.benzinga.com/article/18510212

Her and others buying isn’t new news. It even says that her firm could continue to buy.

Article even mentions that she bought IPOB at $18 in September. She should have asked me about that since I bought it around $11 on a recommendation a couple months prior. I could have saved her some money.

Edited by stbugs
  • Laughing 1
54 minutes ago, KGB said:

Agree.  I'm pretty pissed.  I have 70+ shares and im in the red.  I coulda played darts and made more :angry:

Better not see "christmas was already factored in" after they blow away earnings.

When did you start investing? Also, do you have accounts with index funds/ETFs? If you own an S&P 500 type fund, 5% or so is Amazon. I think I figured out that 15-20%ish of my index type funds were Apple, Google, Amazon and Facebook. If you’ve enjoyed any of the past decade’s stock run up in funds/ETFs you’re in the green on Amazon.

That said, you’ve done what many a man couldn’t do, not make money on Amazon stock. Congrats? ;)

Just now, TripItUp said:

I didn't say or imply she didn't buy earlier, I knew she had.  I specifically said she bought today, and that may have contributed to post market rally.

Ok, I was just saying that I don’t think that was the impetus today. People already knew that and with all of the different funds/multiple investments expected. I think it was really as simple as SPACs can sometimes run in packs due to FOMO/retail investors. Look at GMHI, almost identical days. Started way down and increased a lot at the end of the day and way up in AH. Not exactly the same %s, but LGVW did the same as did a bunch of other SPACs. It’s not the same everyday but reading some of those r/wsb discussions and you’d think those guys have literally every penny in TSLA, SPACs and PLTR. Most have no clue what the company’s do. It’s amusing. Still there are enough daily traders now that they appear to be able to move small stocks. I saw discussions on both GMHI and LGVW on there.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, stbugs said:

When did you start investing? Also, do you have accounts with index funds/ETFs? If you own an S&P 500 type fund, 5% or so is Amazon. I think I figured out that 15-20%ish of my index type funds were Apple, Google, Amazon and Facebook. If you’ve enjoyed any of the past decade’s stock run up in funds/ETFs you’re in the green on Amazon.

That said, you’ve done what many a man couldn’t do, not make money on Amazon stock. Congrats? ;)

LOL. I was in this thread 10 years ago.  Started with $2K.  Wish I could say I was successful, I kept going for homeruns and would sometimes buy and sell within minutes.  I had no patience and still struggle with that.

I cashed out my stock options from work and decided to give it a go but with a different outlook.  I still jump into some plays here, but again, I usually get frustrated when they go down and lose.  up 30% over what I would have been if I kept my old work stock, so happy.

Been in and out of AMZN quite a few times and am in the green overall.  

My strategy now, which it should have been years ago, is to only buy stocks I dont mind holding a long time.  Hence, I keep adding to AMZN to lower my cost.  but not selling it for quite awhile, hopefully over a year for tax reasons.  Maybe forever.

My goal this year is to have

AMZN

AVGO

MJ

CHWY

PLTR

RBLX

ABNB

and hold for a very long time. 

edit - (I remember when facebook was highly debated in this thread if it was a suckers bet.  I think it opened around $30)

Edited by KGB
  • Like 1
39 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Dude...that's not cool.

Even with the wink.

Edited by BassNBrew
19 minutes ago, KGB said:

LOL. I was in this thread 10 years ago.  Started with $2K.  Wish I could say I was successful, I kept going for homeruns and would sometimes buy and sell within minutes.  I had no patience and still struggle with that.

I cashed out my stock options from work and decided to give it a go but with a different outlook.  I still jump into some plays here, but again, I usually get frustrated when they go down and lose.  up 30% over what I would have been if I kept my old work stock, so happy.

My strategy now, which it should have been years ago, is to only buy stocks I dont mind holding a long time.  Hence, I keep adding to AMZN to lower my cost.  but not selling it for quite awhile, hopefully over a year for tax reasons.  Maybe forever.

AMZN

AVGO

MJ

CHWY

PLTR

RBLX

ABNB

edit - (I remember when facebook was highly debated in this thread if it was a suckers bet.  I think it opened around $30)

I remember that debate.  Bought in the low 20s and sold in the 180s.  

Keep pounding Amazon.  Bezos will eventually get off his #### and make you some money.

1 minute ago, BassNBrew said:

I remember that debate.  Bought in the low 20s and sold in the 180s.  

Keep pounding Amazon.  Bezos will eventually get off his #### and make you some money.

The facebook debate was very interesting.  If I remember, It dropped quite a bit in the beginning.  

One of the things I like is a brand name.  IE you "AIRBNB a stay"  You "order an uber"  I'm not sold on doordash as most people I know use competitors.  

That why I like the AIRBNB ipo.  Will it go down?  Dunno.  I'll buy 300 shares and average down if that's the case.

WISH is also having an IPO.

They have the name recognition (at least according to my FB feed) but I think they are scammy and staying away.  

Also think NKLA is a scam and I dont care if it goes up.  Some day it's going to burn and I'm not risking it.

1 hour ago, BassNBrew said:

Dude...that's not cool.

Even with the wink.

I’ll make sure he makes a lot of money on AMZN, don’t worry. I consider Jeff my buddy.

Edited by stbugs
52 minutes ago, KGB said:

AMZN

AVGO

MJ

CHWY

PLTR

RBLX

ABNB

Long term is the only way to keep sane unless you have time to watch every single minute. The biggest angst I’ve had is the short term bets. I’ve made plenty on them so I haven’t minded but I’ve made far more on my long term buys and honestly would have done even better this year if I just stayed the course on my long term buys and just kept adding.

Also, don’t get frustrated over losses, especially in the long term stocks. Not a single one of my long term buys outside of ZM didn’t go lower in March or another time. APPN was one of my worst performers until the past few weeks and then it was a better performer than some of my stalwarts.

No idea how much you are dealing with but I would recommend adding some additional stocks if you want to go long term. Diversify a bit more. It can be a slow addition so you don’t have to sell off stuff you like, but it helps to have some stocks popping all the time. Might make you worry less about drops when they don’t kill your overall returns.

SPLK got roasted AH. They missed estimates. I’ve heard of them before but never invested, didn’t realize their revenue was already expected to drop from last year anyway. Looks like they hadn’t really gone up much from February so looks like the not so good 2020 was already expected and they missed that.

15 hours ago, ericttspikes said:

up HUGE after hours

Up nicely this morning although gave up some gains. Man, should have sold at open just under 25. It’s still up 16% but at open it was 40%.

Man, I missed on CRWD and ESTC, been watching those for a while but never bought. They went back under 100 during the election week and I have a feeling I won’t ever see that again. Still a very nice day but hesitation has cost me way more than it’s saved. Definitely need to improve on that for long term buys. Rather than wait for a big position opening, just buy some and if it keeps going up at least your making some on the earlier money and if it dips you can DCA down.

8 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

I keep forgetting I still have a little bit of this dog. :lol: 

It was such a feeling of relief when I sold off the final few shares I did when it was still in the 3s. It was well worth the effort profit wise but I felt like I was watching it all the time.

These conversions are a pain on Fidelity. You can’t sell the day of the conversion. It’s some funky line in my account with no Sell button. Wasn’t planning to but I didn’t expect an open at almost $25. Last one (RIDE) seemed like it took more than 1 day to finally appear under the new symbol.

1 hour ago, Dwayne Hoover said:

Hadn't heard of LGVW before but appreciate the heads up on this one.  Seems like a solid bet to me, good backers in on this company and what looks to be a really nice product.

I'm buying

Up 13% today.  That's after a 20%drop over the past week so there is that.   

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

Up 13% today.  That's after a 20%drop over the past week so there is that.   

SPACs with mergers that people liked (not IPOC or GHIV) are all doing well today. Funny how so many of them have nothing to do with each other but all move in sync. I think due to the smaller market caps/floats and  smaller institutional/ETF involvements that retail investors can move them a lot. I didn’t realize how many people follow them and that there are YouTube videos, etc. It’s almost impossible to follow them all now. I still have a few that haven’t even announced a merger yet and I’ve had them for months.

42 minutes ago, stbugs said:

These conversions are a pain on Fidelity. You can’t sell the day of the conversion. It’s some funky line in my account with no Sell button. Wasn’t planning to but I didn’t expect an open at almost $25. Last one (RIDE) seemed like it took more than 1 day to finally appear under the new symbol.

Yup, same here. Probably wouldn't have been quick enough to pull the trigger when it spiked but it's horse#### that you can't if you're so inclined. I did double up my position at $19.50 on the dip though, up 15% since.