What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (21 Viewers)

This is ridiculous.  Not that I'm complaining, but my word.....
It’s caught the RH/WSB/retail investors. Fundamentals be damned. I always thought it was interesting but not a long term thing. I’m definitely bad on the momentum stuff. If I think it’s way too expensive I’ll just avoid it. Would have been a nice ride but you’d have to be really lucky to make money from here.

Lots of ridiculous out there.  People want a Santa run, and they'll buy it to make sure it happens.  

My actions today...

Sold: UVXY, LAZR, AI

Bought: NRGU, BNKU, THBR, JETS

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want to sell here...just can't figure out what I should be selling without getting hit on full taxes.  April can't get here soon enough.

I really want to sell here...just can't figure out what I should be selling without getting hit on full taxes.  April can't get here soon enough.
Love investing in my IRA. It’s my biggest account and I get to rollover an old 401k for my wife soon. I have a bunch in my taxable (2nd biggest) but most is Amazon and other tech stuff I bought in 2019 so lots of long term gains if I need to sell. Been trying hard to only buy long term in taxable account which seems weird because that’s money I can use without penalty but taxes make the IRAs awesome for trading.

Distracted this am and forgot get into CRSP at the bell but jumped in when it dipped a bit at167.

Also took first bite of APPL at 124, added some SE and dos mas AMZN

Any ETF? That are recommended for long term? Considering depositing 500-1000 a month into stuff to help build some retirement money

i have a 401k and starting to invest in a Roth through work

Any ETF? That are recommended for long term? Considering depositing 500-1000 a month into stuff to help build some retirement money

i have a 401k and starting to invest in a Roth through work
I feel like I have enough exposure to the big boys of the S&P 500 and traditional large and small cap market followers through my TSP and other funds, so the ETFs I've been liking a lot to get additional exposure to specific areas or up and coming tech are:

LRNZ

FIVG

IPAY

MOON

QCLN

I am thinking of reallocating and shifting money to some ARK etfs though.  I need to go through those some more but feel like there is an ARK for these additional exposures I want.  And Cathie Wood has just been crushing it so I feel good following her team on just about anything.

I feel like I have enough exposure to the big boys of the S&P 500 and traditional large and small cap market followers through my TSP and other funds, so the ETFs I've been liking a lot to get additional exposure to specific areas or up and coming tech are:

LRNZ

FIVG

IPAY

MOON

QCLN

I am thinking of reallocating and shifting money to some ARK etfs though.  I need to go through those some more but feel like there is an ARK for these additional exposures I want.  And Cathie Wood has just been crushing it so I feel good following her team on just about anything.
I’m doing TSP also

:thumbup:   C Fund follows S&P closely, S Fund follows the Russell, and I'm heavy in both so that's enough for me.  I also upped my contribution (TSP Roth) a lot this year so I can get close to that max $19,500 limit.  
i was doing CSI for a while, about 33% each, ill move more into just the CS!

nm i was 40/40/20

might go with 45 45 10

How do you all manage your fomo when reading this thread?  Amazing picks here.
In all honesty, some people in here have killed it this year, and I’m jealous. I’ve done okay, but I haven’t doubled up or anything that is life changing.  I try to realize this thread has helped me do better than I would have without it and probably better than 75+% of people out there that don’t pay much attention.

I would like to better understand how some of these picks are made... like is it simply tailing Motley Fool, or something ARK does, or is it sifting through certain sectors for the right fundamentals?  Maybe a combo of both.  Also I wonder what % of their total investments some people put into their bigger plays - what is a “full share”?  2%?  10%.

How do you all manage your fomo when reading this thread?  Amazing picks here.
There’s never a shortage of great stocks. I missed out on TTD, OKTA, and others but didn’t miss out on SE, CRWD, etc.

As they say in the gambling thread when you miss one: We move on.

If you’re a long term investor (this is just me ranting now) “waiting for a dip” on a company you believe in is bonkers to me, at least for starting a position. Just get some now and then pick and choose your additional purchases afterwards. Waiting for dips often just makes you miss a run-up completely. 

It’s caught the RH/WSB/retail investors. Fundamentals be damned. I always thought it was interesting but not a long term thing. I’m definitely bad on the momentum stuff. If I think it’s way too expensive I’ll just avoid it. Would have been a nice ride but you’d have to be really lucky to make money from here.
Chatter of a $640 million allocation in the new stimulus bill for charging infrastructure....just chatter at this point but something's got these stocks ginned up.

There’s never a shortage of great stocks. I missed out on TTD, OKTA, and others but didn’t miss out on SE, CRWD, etc.

As they say in the gambling thread when you miss one: We move on.

If you’re a long term investor (this is just me ranting now) “waiting for a dip” on a company you believe in is bonkers to me, at least for starting a position. Just get some now and then pick and choose your additional purchases afterwards. Waiting for dips often just makes you miss a run-up completely. 
So can limit orders. Many times I've chased a limit trying to save a few cent and end up paying more or missing out. (I'm talking about when the spread is pennies).

SoftBank getting into the SPAC game, ticker will be SVFAU. Looking for comms, AI, Robotics, Cloud, fintech - pretty much just name a hot sector and they say it’s in their crosshairs. This will be a hot one.

While I may not be doing as well as the rest of the guys here, I'm destroying most every finance pro around.
Yea so I we had a little outdoor Christmas party the other day - 12 total people, everybody 8 feet apart etc - and I was talking to the husband of a friend, he’s a money manager in town. Asked him how he did this year, and said he made no money for his family and around 8-10% for his clients.

Asked him why he didn’t make any for himself and he said he was too afraid of the market, he’s too conservative with his own money. I think this thread is a real outlier. This guy does this for a living and still couldn’t fire his shot in what has to be the greatest investment year any of us will ever see.

Yea so I we had a little outdoor Christmas party the other day - 12 total people, everybody 8 feet apart etc - and I was talking to the husband of a friend, he’s a money manager in town. Asked him how he did this year, and said he made no money for his family and around 8-10% for his clients.

Asked him why he didn’t make any for himself and he said he was too afraid of the market, he’s too conservative with his own money. I think this thread is a real outlier. This guy does this for a living and still couldn’t fire his shot in what has to be the greatest investment year any of us will ever see.
I dunno 2012 to 2015 was a time period that was unparalleled.  In those three years you had 7 quarters where half the stocks in the SNP500 stayed above their 30 day MA the entire ####### quarter.  That's just ridiculous.  You could just throw darts at any stock on the entire list and get a rocket ship.  There was no volatility, stocks just went straight up.  There was no virus, there was just straight, vertical appreciation.  

Asked him why he didn’t make any for himself and he said he was too afraid of the market, he’s too conservative with his own money. I think this thread is a real outlier. This guy does this for a living and still couldn’t fire his shot.
There are some really smart dudes around here and if they stay away from discussing politics or complaining about stuff can accomplish some great things.  We have a great mix of tech and growth guys, financial guys, value guys, commodity and pretend money guys (just kidding).  We also have people in so many different industries and fields that bring a wealth of knowledge.

I think the key is to soak in the ideas discussed here and then integrate them into you're own personal plan.  

Asked him why he didn’t make any for himself and he said he was too afraid of the market, he’s too conservative with his own money. I think this thread is a real outlier. This guy does this for a living and still couldn’t fire his shot.
Yikes. He should change jobs and be a cost accountant or underwriter.  I can see that if someone pulled out on the drop, waited to long to get back in, and hated tech, but still...   

Do you think you guys can add how long you're expecting to hold individual stocks? Would help me as a newbie a ton. Thanks.
When I started out I sought out stocks that I would have when I was ready to retire, then 20 some years out. Amazon primarily, Google, Facebook, think I had some Microsoft in there. Then those took off and I sold some and had a foundation now and moved some of that money into some volatile type stocks that I wanted to play around with like Tesla and cydy and other covid stocks. Sold my Tesla earlier this year and used that to buy some more amazon right before the summer and so on and so on.  

Point is for me, seek out things you believe in long-term and wait for the opportunity to get them at a good price. When they hit, take advantage of it, keep some, and then you can move money into other things that could continue to propel your money forward. This takes some discipline and patience. 

Yikes. He should change jobs and be a cost accountant or underwriter.  I can see that if someone pulled out on the drop, waited to long to get back in, and hated tech, but still...   
Oh yea he did mention something about how tech is too volatile for him, can’t remember exactly what he said. 

There are some really smart dudes around here and if they stay away from discussing politics or complaining about stuff can accomplish some great things.  We have a great mix of tech and growth guys, financial guys, value guys, commodity and pretend money guys (just kidding).  We also have people in so many different industries and fields that bring a wealth of knowledge.

I think the key is to soak in the ideas discussed here and then integrate them into you're own personal plan.  
I've been trading for a while but feel like I learned more from folks here in the past year than all previous 20+ years combined.  Made a lot of changes to my investing strategies.  Certainly got lucky a lot.  And most of all, tailed the smart dudes!  

Users who are viewing this thread