What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (8 Viewers)

$35 mil isn’t a loss but I’m guessing it’s tied to him being attached to the roster which is similar to Gurley. I said about a hundred pages ago the cap hit in year 2 for the Steelers would have been so astronomical that there is no way they would have cut him. So essentially he gave up a season of his career and was an ### hole for $5 million. There is also an argument to be made that he could have walked into year three and be heading toward $45, an extention or being cut and hitting free agency. There is also an argument that even with an ACL and short of an Achilles tear or something astronomical he could have walked into this market and gotten $15 mil in the bag on a one year deal. Stop being charlatans.

Last edited by a moderator:
@AdamSchefter 

Le’Veon Bell’s four-year deal with the New York Jets has a max value of $61 million and includes $35 million guaranteed, per source.
I'm interested in what those last 8.5 million in incentives are.  If it's stuff he's likely to earn in the first years then this was more of a win for him than the reported 52.5  over 4. Also interested in how much of the guaranteed money is actually guaranteed and when. 

I'm interested in what those last 8.5 million in incentives are.  If it's stuff he's likely to earn in the first years then this was more of a win for him than the reported 52.5  over 4. Also interested in how much of the guaranteed money is actually guaranteed and when. 
Yep. Once the details are out we can start discussing win/loss.

$35 mil isn’t a loss but I’m guessing it’s tied to him being attached to the roster which is similar to Gurley. I said about a hundred pages ago the cap hit in year 2 for the Steelers would have been so astronomical that there is no way they would have cut him. So essentially he gave up a season of his career and was an ### hole for $5 million. There is also an argument to be made that he could have walked into year three and be heading toward $45, an extention or being cut and hitting free agency. There is also an argument that even with an ACL and short of an Achilles tear or something astronomical he could have walked into this market and gotten $15 mil in the bag on a one year deal. Stop being charlatans.
Yes, the same thing would have been said about taking a $20+M dead cap hit for trading a stud WR for a 3rd & 5th; but that just happened.

Point being, one can say a fake guarantee is as good a a real guarantee & a player will never be cut, but those are just words. Unless they’re written into the contract, they mean nothing.

Well well, all the people saying oh he is going get 50 guaranteed at least, blah blah. Now I'm seeing oh it's a win for him. Too funny, he had nothing better and had to take it. Screwed himself big time and he goes to a team that isn't going to be close to be any good. But him & brown dont give a squat about winning, just the checks. Jets & raiders may not have 8 wins total between them next year.

Yes, the same thing would have been said about taking a $20+M dead cap hit for trading a stud WR for a 3rd & 5th; but that just happened.

Point being, one can say a fake guarantee is as good a a real guarantee & a player will never be cut, but those are just words. Unless they’re written into the contract, they mean nothing.
You mean... like Ross Tucker thinks the Jets are doing: https://twitter.com/rosstuckernfl/status/1105762903330832386?s=21

He’s gonna fire his agent, yes?

Anyone listen to his mixtape? Working through it in the gym now, I just shut it off - it’s pretty bad, but honestly I expected worse. 

How are so many of you still convinced rapsheets guaranteed number from last year is accurate. Haven't you learned not to trust something if only Rapsheet has reported it?

You might need to work on creating some new models. Your missing the one where Pitt runs him into the ground on the last year of his deal 
You can't compare the Jets deal to the 14.5 transition tag.  Instead, it should be compared to the Steelers long term offer and in that light the decision seems very bad.

So after all the drama Gurley is still the highest paid RB.

Per Adam Schefter -

"

At $13.125 million per year, Bell slides in between Todd Gurley and David Johnson as the league's second-highest paid back."

You can't compare the Jets deal to the 14.5 transition tag.  Instead, it should be compared to the Steelers long term offer and in that light the decision seems less optimal.
Losing a year in his prime for at best comparable money is slightly worse than less optimal.

Think we’ve seen the last guy to sit on the tag for at least another 20 years or until there is a change to the CBA.

Pitt was gonna run him into the ground even more than they did to Conner. So, at best with Pitt, it was a 2 year deal for how much? Don't think he makes it 3 years before they toss him aside. Then no one pays him in 2020. He could be in the exact same boat here. 

In February, a Jets fan offered Le’Veon Bell $60 million to come to New York, but at the time, the free-agent running back replied and said that wouldn’t be enough.

“ that ain’t enough to come run with the Jets…”

Pitt was gonna run him into the ground even more than they did to Conner. So, at best with Pitt, it was a 2 year deal for how much? Don't think he makes it 3 years before they toss him aside. Then no one pays him in 2020. He could be in the exact same boat here. 
Or he plays for $14.5mm last year and gets $35mm this year. 

He had an absolute ton of unknowns and new territory to try and circumnavigate.

It obviously didn't work out like he was expecting (wanted more than 17m per) but at least he tried. And getting bad/incorrect advice along the way in regards to the money that would be offered surely didn't help. Even I thought that Indy, Oak, Hou, SF and someone else would step up to the Jets lower level offering.
He got Kaepernicked. 

I think that was one of the goals of not playing for the run him into the ground he's on the franchise tag steelers.  Being able to walk later in life.  
Now the Jets will run him into the ground.  Playing for the Jets will not preserve his body or guarantee he will be able to walk later in life. If Bell is in as bad of shape as reported it will be interesting to see what kind of season he has. 

Congrats to LeVeon Bell and the Jets for this signing.

Please continue to discuss the pros and cons of this signing, of LeVeon Bell's actions the past year plus, and all "I told you so!" right here in this thread until the end of time, but nowhere else.

#toomuchtoask

This was always about the guaranteed money.  Steelers never guaranteed beyond year 1.  Bell can now plan his life around a minimum $35M.
When you look at guaranteed money and years I don't see how some are calling this same money Pittsburgh offered last year with only 1 year guaranteed.  Am I missing something?  Sounds to me like it was a smart move by Bell to sit out last year.

Now the Jets will run him into the ground.  Playing for the Jets will not preserve his body or guarantee he will be able to walk later in life. If Bell is in as bad of shape as reported it will be interesting to see what kind of season he has. 
The steelers had just given bell historically high touch volume the first year he was on the franchise tag.

They offered him a deal with "guaranteed money" that he only received if he stayed on the team long enough.  

They then tagged him again and had no plans to resign him afterwards, and it was openly discussed that they would run him into the ground.  There was no incentive for the steelers to manage his touches except to keep him healthy for the playoffs.  

Not wanting to take that kind of workload doesn't mean bell can't handle any large workload. But the wear and tear impacts guys seriously - look at demarco murray in Dallas, philly and Tennessee in back to back to back years - and a year off probably helped his 2019 production and his post football career.  

The jets don't have any reason to force feed him 350 carries.  They might give him all he can handle, but they're invested in 29 year old and 30 year old leveon, too. 

I'm not saying he did the right thing or wrong thing, i'm just saying i understand it and might expect more RBs - like Gurley with his arthritis and zeke with his huge workload so far - to consider this in the future.  

I assume you’re fishing? He’s a 3 down back, he’s getting 20+ touches no matter where he is.

The steelers had just given bell historically high touch volume the first year he was on the franchise tag.

They offered him a deal with "guaranteed money" that he only received if he stayed on the team long enough.  

They then tagged him again and had no plans to resign him afterwards, and it was openly discussed that they would run him into the ground.  There was no incentive for the steelers to manage his touches except to keep him healthy for the playoffs.  

Not wanting to take that kind of workload doesn't mean bell can't handle any large workload. But the wear and tear impacts guys seriously - look at demarco murray in Dallas, philly and Tennessee in back to back to back years - and a year off probably helped his 2019 production and his post football career.  

The jets don't have any reason to force feed him 350 carries.  They might give him all he can handle, but they're invested in 29 year old and 30 year old leveon, too. 

I'm not saying he did the right thing or wrong thing, i'm just saying i understand it and might expect more RBs - like Gurley with his arthritis and zeke with his huge workload so far - to consider this in the future.  
I don`t dispute that.

There are RBs in the NFL that get mad when they don`t get enough touches..then the star RBs feel they might get too many touches.

You're conflating two decisions.

The first, turning down the Steelers offer for a long term deal that - for all intents and purposes - was greater than or equal to the Jets offer...there can be no argument that he wasted a year of his career for no good reason, except to find out that the market for his talents was right where the bar had been set.

The second, refusing to play on the transition tag, is more in question.  The Steelers never said they'd run him into the ground, that was talking heads.  The Steelers weren't invested in 'future Leveon' at that point, no.  But they would be invested in finding out what they have behind him, since they'd need to know for the upcoming years.  They'd have used Conner and JaySam because they'd need to get them ready.  So despite the "running him into the ground' narrative, it's unlikely they'd have truly done that.  But I can at least understand it from that point of view.

I'm a Jets fan who didn't want Bell (I don't like his tread, his running style, his lifestyle, nor his seeming lack of football will) but this contract seems eminently reasonable if you're the Jets. You have 100 M in cap room. You can have Ingram or Coleman at 8M or 6M or you can have Bell at 13M. Powell may never play football again. Crowell is massively ineffective by advanced measures. He's worse than Latavius Murray in expected points scored per carry and only beats Alfred Blue in that statistic when compared to guys with over 500 touches in the past three years. Cutting him alone saves 2M off the cap this year.  

I like the signing when viewed from that perspective.  

You mean... like Ross Tucker thinks the Jets are doing: https://twitter.com/rosstuckernfl/status/1105762903330832386?s=21
No, it's nothing like Tucker is talking about in that tweet.  Did you quote the wrong post :confused:

I replied to someone who posted that "the cap hit in year 2 for the Steelers would have been so astronomical that there is no way they would have cut him," by pointing out that a few months ago many people would have said there is no way a team would trade a stud WR for a 3rd & 5th round pick because of the $20M+ cap hit that would come with that trade, and yet that happened.

Tucker's tweet doesn't talk about cap hits for cutting or trading players at any point.

You're conflating two decisions.

The first, turning down the Steelers offer for a long term deal that - for all intents and purposes - was greater than or equal to the Jets offer...there can be no argument that he wasted a year of his career for no good reason, except to find out that the market for his talents was right where the bar had been set.

The second, refusing to play on the transition tag, is more in question.  The Steelers never said they'd run him into the ground, that was talking heads.  The Steelers weren't invested in 'future Leveon' at that point, no.  But they would be invested in finding out what they have behind him, since they'd need to know for the upcoming years.  They'd have used Conner and JaySam because they'd need to get them ready.  So despite the "running him into the ground' narrative, it's unlikely they'd have truly done that.  But I can at least understand it from that point of view.
Except for that's EXACTLY what they did the year prior, when they were in EXACTLY the same situation. 

So, yeah, if we ignore what they actually did, we can pretend they wouldn't have done that.

I think that the Tucker tweet doesn't take into account the consideration that the Jets, seeing a 26/27 year old back, could be betting on Bell -- betting that they'll get three years out of him in his prime. 

I bet there's a really good amount of guaranteed money in there.  

He leaves the Steelers only 42 yards away from being the #3 all time rushing leader of the team.  That honor will still be held by.....Willie Parker.  He'll also remain tied for #3 in rushing TDs....with Kordell Stewart. 

Also of note, AB leaves the Steelers less than 900 yards away from being their all time leading receiver, and only 11 TDs away from their receiving TD mark. 

He leaves the Steelers only 42 yards away from being the #3 all time rushing leader of the team.  That honor will still be held by.....Willie Parker.  He'll also remain tied for #3 in rushing TDs....with Kordell Stewart. 

Also of note, AB leaves the Steelers less than 900 yards away from being their all time leading receiver, and only 11 TDs away from their receiving TD mark. 
Better men.

Users who are viewing this thread