What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (11 Viewers)

I don’t understand why either side is being a turd. Steelers made a decision not to pay him what he wants and they probably have there reasons....maybe some of which the public may not be aware of. Bell thinks he is worth more money than his employer is willing to pay him. He has a great on the field resume and has every right to think what he wants in regards to what he is being compensated giving the violent nature of his position. Why does one side have to be right and the wrong? Can’t both have legitimate reasons for their choice? It is strange to me how in today’s society we all have to take a hard stance on one side or another. I agree with both sides as I wouldn’t want to commit a record breaking contract to the RB position and I understand Bell’s stance of wanting to be paid like the best at his position.
:thumbup:

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Steelers have no intention of trading holdout RB Le'Veon Bell.

Bell has yet to sign his franchise tender and has given no indication of when he might return. Despite his continued absence and the distraction it's created, the Steelers are "not even considering" a trade and are willing to wait as long as it takes for Bell to show up. Per Schefter, there's optimism Bell will report by the end of September. In the meantime, the Steelers will turn to James Conner at running back. Sep 9 - 10:12 AM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8390/leveon-bell
I would put a whole lot of stock into this. Seems like the Steelers just doing all they can to apply pressure to Bell. Scheffer is the biggest bullhorn for them to put stuff out there. 

If the Steelers could get something decent for Bell I’m sure they would trade him.

I don’t understand why either side is being a turd. Steelers made a decision not to pay him what he wants and they probably have there reasons....maybe some of which the public may not be aware of. Bell thinks he is worth more money than his employer is willing to pay him. He has a great on the field resume and has every right to think what he wants in regards to what he is being compensated giving the violent nature of his position. Why does one side have to be right and the wrong? Can’t both have legitimate reasons for their choice? It is strange to me how in today’s society we all have to take a hard stance on one side or another. I agree with both sides as I wouldn’t want to commit a record breaking contract to the RB position and I understand Bell’s stance of wanting to be paid like the best at his position.
I have Conner in my main money league. I think both side are acting fantastic :lol:  

I don’t get why people seem ok with Sammy Watkins getting $16MM a year from KC but stick with a stance that Bell isn’t worth what he wants. Bell is not only one of the best runners in the league but will have receiving stats close to Watkins.
Very good point, Bell honestly might have had better receiving totals if he played the whole year compared to watkins

This reminds me of the Emmitt Smith holdout, 1993 or so.  

Emmitt sat out two games, and the Cowboys ran out and gave him a big deal.  This is very different, in that Bell CANNOT get a new deal, but if Bell is really angry he could be thinking this:

No long term deal, and they gonna run me into the ground, trying to win a title, then cut me loose?  Maybe I'll sit out enough games to cost them home field advantage.  

He's gonna cost himself 800 grand a week, and that's a lot, but you can cut that amount in half, with taxes and such.  It's not like Bell is banking 800 grand a week.  Maybe he figures he'll make it up, by not having 350 touches on his 2018 resume, and being more attractive in free agency.  
Can't they agree to a secret deal then cut him and sign him longterm?

From what I have read, he's not in any stage for suspension so that should not factor in now. Seems like the Steelers are screwing themselves out of a SB chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titletown_Favres said:
Previously Pit offered Bell more than DJ ARZ just got ... LB is delusional 
Not true.

The reported Pittsburgh offer was more in total $$$ (70M), less in guaranteed $$$ (10M).

It's the guaranteed $$$ that everyone cares about.

So in the terms that matter most, Pittsburgh offered 1/3 of what Arizona did.

Not true.

The reported Pittsburgh offer was more in total $$$ (70M), less in guaranteed $$$ (10M).

It's the guaranteed $$$ that everyone cares about.

So in the terms that matter most, Pittsburgh offered 1/3 of what Arizona did.
Link?

As the holdout of Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell officially extends into the regular season, it’s important to understand what the Steelers can and cannot do at this point.

The Steelers can rescind the franchise tender at any point before Bell signs it. They reportedly will not do that, no matter how many yards James Conner gains in Bell’s absence, this Sunday or beyond.

The Steelers can offer Bell more money to entice him to sign. Yes, despite the many labor-deal experts on social media and elsewhere who insist that it’s $14.54 million (minus $855,000 for Week One) or nothing, the Collective Bargaining Agreement prohibits a multi-year contract after mid-July, but it does not prohibit terms other than those contained in the franchise tender.

Don’t take my word for it, as if you ever would. Here’s Article 10, Section 2(k) of the CBA: “Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 15 of the League Year (or, if July 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a multiyear contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be extended until after the Club’s last regular season game of that League Year.” (Emphasis added.)

If, as agent Adisa Bakari recently said, Bell has concerns about his workload during what most likely will be his last year with the Steelers (a third franchise tag would require the Steelers to offer Bell the quarterback franchise tender), the Steelers can address those concerns by offering Bell more money for 2018. Or, if the Steelers want to directly address Bell’s concerns, the Steelers could fashion a package of incentives based on playing time, carries, catches, yards, etc.

There’s no way to keep the Steelers from getting full use out of Bell if/when he shows up, but there is a way to make it worth the risk Bell will be taking as it relates to his post-2018 contract. That said, there’s no reason to think the notoriously stubborn Steelers would consider something like that, no matter how fair it could be, to both sides.

The Steelers have a habit of dictating terms to players that go above and beyond the rules of the CBA. They apply artificial deadlines for contractual negotiations. They won’t negotiate during the regular season. They won’t fully guarantee payments beyond the first year of a contract. They won’t re-do deals with more than one year remaining (unless they will, when the player is as good as Antonio Brown).

The Steelers did indeed break their own rules for Brown. The Steelers twice deviated from their “no new contract” mantra with the star wideout, pushing money forward when he had three years and then two years left on a team-friendly deal. They did it because Brown is a great player.

So is Bell. Which means that the Steelers should consider thinking outside the box, if they want to get Bell back in the fold.

Until then, Bell seems to be willing to stay away. Which continues to compel many fans and some in the media to chastise Bell for an allegedly nonsensical holdout. But if it’s OK for the Steelers to refuse to budge as to the possibility of paying Bell more, why isn’t it OK for Bell to refuse to budge?

The Steelers created this problem by exercising their rights under the CBA to keep Bell from the open market by applying the franchise tag. Bell is merely exercising his own rights under the CBA by staying away. Both sides can exercise their mutual right to negotiate a one-year contract that would pay Bell something that better reflects his value and his eventual use, especially after a quartet of players who like Bell are among the best in the sport recently received contracts that will pay them accordingly.

The problem I have with the #s in the contract is the fact that it's no secret they were gonna run him into the ground and I believe if they would have won the SB, he may have been cut soon after. This team is cheap. Meaning he gets what, 10 million?

The problem I have with the #s in the contract is the fact that it's no secret they were gonna run him into the ground and I believe if they would have won the SB, he may have been cut soon after. This team is cheap. Meaning he gets what, 10 million?
Yeah, Bell had the same thought.

The fully guaranteed part was his signing bonus of just over $10M.  He would’ve made $33M over the 1st two years — in a rolling guaranteed structure. $45M over the 1st 3 years.

I know the 10M number is why the Steelers are getting crushed for low balling Bell, but that number is just his signing bonus for this year.  We will never know what he salary would have been for this year but it wouldn't be unreasonable for it to be 4.5M meaning he would be making the same this year had he signed the long contract.  I'm not saying he should or shouldn't have signed the contract no matter the exact detail (which we will never really know for sure).  I think though, that it is illogical for the Steelers to offer him 2/3 of the franchise tag for this year... makes absolutely no sense so it's hard for me to believe that was the "total number" for this year for Bell.   I know this is going to be dismissed, but whatever. 

Le'Veon Bell reportedly turned down a deal in 2017 with approximately $40M in the 1st 3 years (through 2019). If Bell sits out all of this year, he'll have to sign a deal next offseason with almost $28M in the 1st year just to breakeven since he played last season for $12.12M.

15 replies32 retweets50 likes

The fully guaranteed part was his signing bonus of just over $10M.  He would’ve made $33M over the 1st two years — in a rolling guaranteed structure. $45M over the 1st 3 years.

I know the 10M number is why the Steelers are getting crushed for low balling Bell, but that number is just his signing bonus for this year.  We will never know what he salary would have been for this year but it wouldn't be unreasonable for it to be 4.5M meaning he would be making the same this year had he signed the long contract.  I'm not saying he should or shouldn't have signed the contract no matter the exact detail (which we will never really know for sure).  I think though, that it is illogical for the Steelers to offer him 2/3 of the franchise tag for this year... makes absolutely no sense so it's hard for me to believe that was the "total number" for this year for Bell.   I know this is going to be dismissed, but whatever. 
Obviously his salary for 2018 wasn’t part of that guaranteed money.  If anyone believes that to be the case, they are mis-understanding what is a bonus vs salary.  Salaries typically aren’t guaranteed until a certain date (for most vets, the first week of the season), for bigger names, there’s usually a date set (in their contracts) in the offseason where that years salary becomes guaranteed.  That’s why salaries usually aren’t counted as part of guaranteed money.  If the team cuts the player before the specified date, the player doesn’t get that money.

Underachievers said:
Can we all just agree that Bell is a whiny little ##### who isn't worth the money that he is apparently demanding?
Drop it and keep it to football. If you want to yell about Bell, do it on twitter. 

Keep this focused on football. 

So if Conner tears it up again next week and the week after that, does that get Bell to report? Doesn't it hurt his stock if Conner looks just as good as he does? What new team is going to give him $50 million guaranteed if it looks like just about anyone can put up those numbers in Pittsburgh?

So if Conner tears it up again next week and the week after that, does that get Bell to report? Doesn't it hurt his stock if Conner looks just as good as he does? What new team is going to give him $50 million guaranteed if it looks like just about anyone can put up those numbers in Pittsburgh?
Exactly. Bell is a great RB but he owes a lot of credit to that O-line and offensive system over the years.

The flaw of the franchise tag is it is a one year rental.  If a player is a franchise player and you will not let him test the market then it should be an automatic market deal that had multiple years at top dollar as the starting point.  It is a major downside for RBs ads teams would love to rent them like this.  Also would prevent 35 year old players, backup QBs, etc being designated as franchise guys.

And the weed problem is always lurking in the background

Users who are viewing this thread