What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alfred Morris, why is he rated so low (2 Viewers)

Not trying to be a downer, but Alf is probably looking at being a committee or backup RB.  And I think most teams will be looking toward the draft to find RB depth and fill their committees.  I suspect Alf signs after the draft or even later when injuries hit and teams see their new RBs are working out.  Any team is a possibility.  But teams usually want backup RBs to play special teams.

Drafted Matt Jones on the '50% chance' the Redskins let Morris go. The Redskins used a top 100 pick (#95) on Matt Jones and he has 3 down ability.

Do I dare say he has a little Le'Veon Bell in him being 231 lbs. and a 6.84 3 cone time?

Geez.  If they add him to McFadden, that might be the best line and worst backs ever.  Talk about un-sexy.
McFadden last year:

239 carries, 1089 yards, 4.6 YPC and 40 catches for 328 yards while on a team that lacked any QB for most of the season. Not saying he's top tier, but to say he's the worst back ever is a huge exaggeration.

Last edited by a moderator:
McFadden last year:

239 carries, 1089 yards, 4.6 YPC and 40 catches for 328 yards while on a team that lacked any QB for most of the season. Not saying he's top tier, but to say he's the worst back ever is a huge exaggeration.
He was fantastic inside the 10 yard line too. Basically the "anti-Emmitt smith". They need to go back to those days and find a stud. Elliott at 4!!

McFadden last year:

I'm saying the combo of best line and worst back.  Meaning, DMC rushing for that is a testament to that line.  And Morris isn't a breakaway threat.  

Put another way:  Any back they draft this year, if they do, that's the guy I want.  

He was fantastic inside the 10 yard line too. Basically the "anti-Emmitt smith". They need to go back to those days and find a stud. Elliott at 4!!
I disagree, if anything they're proving that you don't need a stud RB to get good production out of your running game. Your thinking is the need of a stud running back, imo, is outdated and that philosophy would hold the team back. Luckily I think their moves the last few seasons have shown that they are smarter than that, and shoring up the defense is the smarter move, especially with a high draft pick. McFadden can be the between the 20's guy and Morris has shown to be fairly reliable near the goal line, which is probably why they are looking at him. Why waste a #4 pick on a rookie RB when you can get production much cheaper from guys like these.

Its not a wasted pick if he is much better then the rbs you have on the roster and I think Elliott is that.....

I'm a HUGE fan of Alf Morris the person, and I wish more players took his humble, lunch-pail approach to the game, but the fact of the matter is that he's a system back, and he's not dynamic. I hope he finds his way to a balanced offense with a solid O-Line, that utilizes a zone blocking scheme, and has a few solid years as a 2-down back building up tenure with the NFLPA and his retirement account for life after football. I sure wish he'd find his way into a workout with the Texans, or Denver, or Atlanta, or Carolina. I'm sure there are others...

...but at the end of the day he is what he is, and being an all around solid dude I'd like to get to know doesn't change the fact that even at his best, he's scheme specific, not creative and lacks an extra gear.

Pretty good chance he benefited from playing in a zone scheme.  Really, he's just a guy. 
Sure he benefited from a ZBS and really benefited from the threat of RG3 running. However, many NFL players have benefited from schemes and surrounding talent. I still wath the highlights and look at the numbers and think he has to be more than just a guy. He shows above average balance, vision, strength, etc. Now maybe he's lost that, but at 27 we would think those skills are still there for a couple years.

I get that argument. I was just wondering if that's what ConnSKINS26 meant or if he felt his talent level has declined. 
I think the first point ConnSKINS was getting at was that Alf has 47 career receptions in 4 seasons and 3rd down backs are typically great pass catchers. I don't think Alf's talent ever declined, he just didn't fit the design that McVey and Gruden have (as opposed to being exactly what fit Kyle Shanahan). 

he is only so so at football but as a person he is a top shelf guy and it is a shame he has to be on the washington team with dan snuder if they traded him to someplace awesome like green bay then bam this guy would be better than the beatles take that to the ive seen the future bank bromigos 

I think he's about to magically find that step everyone claims he's lost...

What people fail to recognize is that everyone in Washington struggled last year. Remember the overly hyped Matt Jones? Lower ypc than Alfred Morris. Also, Morris had a decent 2014 despite not playing in a zone scheme and Washington being in the bottom half of the league in terms of run blocking. I also posted in another thread that Morris is excellent around the goal line, converting over 40% of his carries inside the 5 to TDs. This signing, although it came late in free agency and isn't a big money deal, should be pretty exciting from a fantasy perspective. Hopefully he still gets disrespected in redrafts because I'd love to land him this year... 27 years old, career 4.4 ypc, good goal line runner, missed zero games despite 270 carries/year.

I greatly overpaid for him last offseason in dynasty, as a firm believer in his talent (and losing my RB talent)... Started to worry quite a bit over the course of this season.

And then, this..... What a smile on my face.

LOL, what?

A proven RB, just moved to the holy grail for RBs, and you're "considering" him for a 3rd round rookie pick? Come on. 
a 3rd round rookie pick ?

I can assure you no one would part with Alfy Morris for a rookie 3rd now that he is in Dallas.

NO ONE.

I can assure you no one would part with Alfy Morris for a rookie 3rd now that he is in Dallas.

NO ONE.
No ####. The guy is beastly, and was just stuck int he WAS mud for the last little while.

Morris in DAL is going to be beautiful. It would take something pretty significant to get me to part with him.. Especially in today's RB world

LOL, what?

A proven RB, just moved to the holy grail for RBs, and you're "considering" him for a 3rd round rookie pick? Come on. 
You come on, time to sit down and take a  reality break son.

Last year, when DMC landed in the holy grail he was going in usually late second of the early drafts when his comp was Randle who had done next to nothing and DMC offers way more upside in PPR leagues.

DMC, from the time he got the starting gig was one of the most productive backs in the NFL by almost every measure. Third in rushing yards, second in rushing first downs, top 3 in 20+ yard runs and 100 yard games.  That to me is way more proven than the comp he faced against Randle and DMC will 100% enter camp as the starter.

Alfred Morris is a non catching PPR player who even if he ran for 1200 yards is a non dependable RB3 which is the best he's been since his rookie year.

NO ONE.
I did not say part with, I said get drafted. If someone is still hanging onto Alfred Morris after their league has had cuts I assume they must  put an inordinate value on him and would therefore not come off a third. But in the open  draft market that's about his price.

I would say you don't understand what a rookie draft is

Sure if you say so but leagues I'm in player who are cut at deadline are in the rookie draft.

Don't have the effort to get into a pissing match because my view of Alfred Morris is different then the one you share. I've said my opinion and I'm done. You win, the thread is all yours and you are free to resume your regularly scheduled Alfred Morris lovefest. Good luck with that.

If I own him, price tag is a 2017 1st rounder.  
I made one of my dumbest trades ever in fantasy sports to acquire him last year. I was juggling a few things and in a busy day responded to an offer without putting much thought into it. This gives me hope that I can either keep him and recoup the value or trade him off now.

Sure if you say so but leagues I'm in player who are cut at deadline are in the rookie draft.

Don't have the effort to get into a pissing match because my view of Alfred Morris is different then the one you share. I've said my opinion and I'm done. You win, the thread is all yours and you are free to resume your regularly scheduled Alfred Morris lovefest. Good luck with that.
If that is how your rookie drafts work and Alf isn't (at worst) the third pick in round one, your entire league is crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread