What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Head Coach scoring category - Need help. (1 Viewer)

PR Sparty

Footballguy
I know, I know...why the hell is this guy asking about head coach scoring? Hear me out...A buddy asked me split a $250 league with him. He said it was a guppy league and we should be able to clean up. Snake draft, 10 guys, "pretty standard". I only did auction drafts this year so I was looking forward to one snake before the season fires up. Come to find out it's a IDP league, 25 man rosters, 16 starters which includes a head coach spot. Really? HC? Ugh... Anyhow, i'm committed now and can't figure out how to factor in HC scoring (the Dominator doesn't have that option). As silly as it may sound, they scoring system puts some pretty heavy value on it.

Team Win + 6

Team Loss - 6

Team Tie + 3

25+ point Win Margin +6

20-24 point Win Margin +5

15-19 point Win Margin +4

10-14 point Win Margin +3

5-9 point Win Margin +2

1-4 point Win Margin +1

1-4 point Loss Margin -1

5-9 point Loss Margin -2

10-14 point Loss Margin -3

15-19 point Loss Margin -4

20-24 point Loss Margin -5

25+ point Loss Margin -6

So lets say Denver beats SD 35-7. That's a +12 for John Fox. That's equivalent to 2 TD's from a RB/WR.

Any thoughts on where to group HC's in a system like this? Links to articles on this? I searched the boards on here and can't find much.

Both of my leagues use head coaches. I think it's a great addition to fantasy since predicting which NFL team will win and some idea of by how much is the kind of thing good fantasy owners should be able to do.

To use it in Draft Dominator, if you are using IDP then you don't need the Team Defense for anything. So turn that into your head coach.

First come up with what you think each NFL team will do. You could probably take Vegas lines to quickly generate something at least approximate... over/under for win total and then give all games an average margin of victory. Or you could do some stats crunching and find out the average margin of victory of 11 win teams per win and their average margin of loss if you want to improve on it. Or simpler would be just check past years in this league's scoring, and average together fantasy points by number of wins.

Then grab the latest VBD Excel app and projections. Go in and set all the defensive categories to 0. Take your projections and put them in one of the other categories. You could just put them in defensive touchdowns or sacks or something and then in Draft Dominator give 1 point for each.

Only downside to this approach is you can't do the automated update projections within Draft Dominator after, as it would overwrite your work. You'd need to do any new imports via the VBD Excel app again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and also, don't neglect the benefits of playing weekly matchups. If you think other teams are drafting them too early or something, you can go much of the season grabbing a waiver head coach who plays the Chargers, Jets, etc that week. Especially if you use 2 roster spots for it as needed so you can grab the team with the good matchup a week in advance of their game when no one else is going after them.

I know, I know...why the hell is this guy asking about head coach scoring? Hear me out...A buddy asked me split a $250 league with him. He said it was a guppy league and we should be able to clean up. Snake draft, 10 guys, "pretty standard". I only did auction drafts this year so I was looking forward to one snake before the season fires up. Come to find out it's a IDP league, 25 man rosters, 16 starters which includes a head coach spot. Really? HC? Ugh... Anyhow, i'm committed now and can't figure out how to factor in HC scoring (the Dominator doesn't have that option). As silly as it may sound, they scoring system puts some pretty heavy value on it.

Team Win + 6

Team Loss - 6

Team Tie + 3

25+ point Win Margin +6

20-24 point Win Margin +5

15-19 point Win Margin +4

10-14 point Win Margin +3

5-9 point Win Margin +2

1-4 point Win Margin +1

1-4 point Loss Margin -1

5-9 point Loss Margin -2

10-14 point Loss Margin -3

15-19 point Loss Margin -4

20-24 point Loss Margin -5

25+ point Loss Margin -6

So lets say Denver beats SD 35-7. That's a +12 for John Fox. That's equivalent to 2 TD's from a RB/WR.

Any thoughts on where to group HC's in a system like this? Links to articles on this? I searched the boards on here and can't find much.
This is a pretty high-variance system when you consider that it's symmetrical around zero; not only is John Fox getting +12 in your scenario, Mike McCoy is getting -12. In a 16-team league, that means the worst-starter coach will wind up at about zero points for the year, while the top coach will score something like 100 points (estimate for a 14-2 team). 100 VBD is a lot, that's a top 3-5 position. Set your baseline to zero points, predict wins for each team (probably can get this from Vegas), calculate score as (win-loss)*(6+3) or something like that.

Here was our order actually drafted. We use MFL's "Team Offense" for head coach so you're getting a team's head coach instead of the individual man. With last year as an example, the Saints Team Offense would give you that team every game. If you use MFL's actual head coach category, then you'd have needed to roster Joe Vitt for the last half of the season and... I forget who the other interim coach was now. If a coach gets sick and is in the hospital for a game, he puts up a 0 using the actual head coach category.

Patriots, New England NEP Off

Broncos, Denver DEN Off

Packers, Green Bay GBP Off

Falcons, Atlanta ATL Off

49ers, San Francisco SFO Off

Saints, New Orleans NOS Off

Seahawks, Seattle SEA Off

Texans, Houston HOU Off

Dolphins, Miami MIA Off

Lions, Detroit DET Off

Steelers, Pittsburgh PIT Off

Ravens, Baltimore BAL Off

Colts, Indianapolis IND Off

Redskins, Washington WAS Off

Thanks for the input fellas. Now i'm thinking about a HCBC strategy. I might model it off of Chase's DTBC article.

Thanks for the input fellas. Now i'm thinking about a HCBC strategy. I might model it off of Chase's DTBC article.
You'll have difficulty implementing that in a 16-team league. Everyone's going to want a backup HC to cover their bye week, and there are only 32 coaches, so you'll have to pay a lot to get three HCs, even mediocre ones.

You'll have difficulty implementing that in a 16-team league. Everyone's going to want a backup HC to cover their bye week, and there are only 32 coaches, so you'll have to pay a lot to get three HCs, even mediocre ones.
Only a 10 team league. I might be able to pull it off

10 team should be feasible. Especially if you start w/one decent one. Being good early helps as it will take a few weeks to get a read on who the surprise teams are.

Users who are viewing this thread