What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Andy Dalton, CAR (2 Viewers)

Buzzbait said:
davidwb said:
He still can't throw a consistent deep ball...but he's gotten very accurate with shorter throws (crosses, etc).
Don't agree with this at all. Not only has it not been a deficiency but his deep ball has been a strength to date. His yds/att is way up and a lot of it has to do with his ability to hit the deep pass.
Yeah, I don't know why he's saying that. I've long said Dalton leaves points on the board and has been poor at the deep ball. He's been good this year, though. He made a couple of really nice passes yesterday and perhaps the best was on a deep ball perfectly thrown to AJ for a 70 some yd TD called back for holding. The guy has gotten better, much better. It's OK to acknowledge when a player improves.

Buzzbait said:
davidwb said:
He still can't throw a consistent deep ball...but he's gotten very accurate with shorter throws (crosses, etc).
Don't agree with this at all. Not only has it not been a deficiency but his deep ball has been a strength to date. His yds/att is way up and a lot of it has to do with his ability to hit the deep pass.
Yeah, I don't know why he's saying that. I've long said Dalton leaves points on the board and has been poor at the deep ball. He's been good this year, though. He made a couple of really nice passes yesterday and perhaps the best was on a deep ball perfectly thrown to AJ for a 70 some yd TD called back for holding.The guy has gotten better, much better. It's OK to acknowledge when a player improves.
This.

He is having a fantastic year.

OK guys, I want to know where his dynasty value is right now. Top 5? Worth a first? Second?
For me, late 1st

Pros

Him and AJ locked up for years together

Completely secure job on good team

Weapons

Age compared to the other productive QBs

Durability (knocks on wood)

Keeps getting better

Cons

What happens if Hue Jackson leaves to be HC?

Weapons get hurt often

Bad weather late in year?

Team not needing to pass in blowouts

hes been playing pretty great for sure. he still missed an absurdly wide open marvin jones in the end zone on the final drive that resulted in a game tying fg.

each of the last years the bengals have declined over the course of the seasons. they have also had a lot of trouble with tough opponents, despite trouncing weaker teams. this year may be different tho. it must be mentioned that key starters and even star players have been missing from all of their playoff games of the last 5 yrs. if atkins, dunlap, johnson, green and their lb and dbs and ol can remain healthy i think they will be much more competitive than in yrs past.
I know what you're saying about decline, but I think it's just 1. injuries and 2. other teams catching up.

At the beginning of every season, teams with continuity (same HC, same QB, same systems) have an advantage. I think the Bengals benefit from this early in the year the last several seasons. Other teams probably progress more from week 1 to week 10. Also, the Bengals have had the wrong injuries in the last few years. I'm not sure if we've had more, but it's been all the best players on the team getting hurt and being gone when it matters.

hes been playing pretty great for sure. he still missed an absurdly wide open marvin jones in the end zone on the final drive that resulted in a game tying fg.

each of the last years the bengals have declined over the course of the seasons. they have also had a lot of trouble with tough opponents, despite trouncing weaker teams. this year may be different tho. it must be mentioned that key starters and even star players have been missing from all of their playoff games of the last 5 yrs. if atkins, dunlap, johnson, green and their lb and dbs and ol can remain healthy i think they will be much more competitive than in yrs past.
All quarterback miss wide open guys, Rodgers missed a wide open Cobb for a touchdown this week, Bortles missed a wide open Hurns for a long score, I have seen Brady over throw guys for wide open touchdowns. It happens. Right now, through 7 weeks he is playing as well as anyone in the league at the quarterback spot.

He's in the perfect situation and he's done well as he should with this surrounding talent and from a weapons perspective it can't realistically get much better. He's played good this year and I've been a doubter in the past but lets see him win a big game when it really counts. I'm still skeptical.

OK guys, I want to know where his dynasty value is right now. Top 5? Worth a first? Second?
For me, late 1stPros

Him and AJ locked up for years together

Completely secure job on good team

Weapons

Age compared to the other productive QBs

Durability (knocks on wood)

Keeps getting better

Cons

What happens if Hue Jackson leaves to be HC?

Weapons get hurt often

Bad weather late in year?

Team not needing to pass in blowouts
I'd add to the cons, though he has played better this year, if they continue to make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round, at some point, if he repeatedly fails to get over the hump and advance, could his job become vulnerable (especially if he plays as poorly in the playoffs as he has in the past).

Through first 76 games

Peyton Manning 19500 yards 131 tds 94 interceptions 42-38 regular season 0-3 playoffs

Andy Dalton 18000 yards 124 tds 72 interceptions 50-25-1 regular season 0-4 playoffs

Manning averages 25 more yards a game and has 7 more tds in a tougher passing era, but he also had 22 more interceptions and 8 fewer wins.  Both took over laughing stock teams,  but Dalton has yet to miss the playoffs while manning missed twice.  Neither had won a playoff game, but with manning's name and pedigree people were talking hall of fame early while Dalton gets no respect whatsoever.   

In 2014 he lost eifert, aj green, Marvin Jones and Bernard for some or all of the season.  But Dalton was a top 5 qb in most leagues when he went down late last year,  and he was top 5 in 2013.  Yet he's getting drafted as a qb2 yet again.  Best value in fantasy football.  

Anybody rolling this guy out there against NE? Don't love the matchup but it's him or Ryan in Seattle and I hate that one. 

Through first 76 games

Peyton Manning 19500 yards 131 tds 94 interceptions 42-38 regular season 0-3 playoffs

Andy Dalton 18000 yards 124 tds 72 interceptions 50-25-1 regular season 0-4 playoffs

Manning averages 25 more yards a game and has 7 more tds in a tougher passing era, but he also had 22 more interceptions and 8 fewer wins.  Both took over laughing stock teams,  but Dalton has yet to miss the playoffs while manning missed twice.  Neither had won a playoff game, but with manning's name and pedigree people were talking hall of fame early while Dalton gets no respect whatsoever.   

In 2014 he lost eifert, aj green, Marvin Jones and Bernard for some or all of the season.  But Dalton was a top 5 qb in most leagues when he went down late last year,  and he was top 5 in 2013.  Yet he's getting drafted as a qb2 yet again.  Best value in fantasy football.  
Indy was so bad that laughing stock doesnt do justice..  Ya may consider saying Detroit bad (referencing the Big 0-16)  However, Im not so sure I agree Dalton went to a "laughingstock".  Heres what wiki says for the previous Season >> The 2010 Cincinnati Bengals season was the 41st season for the team in the National Football League (NFL), and their 43rd overall. The Bengals looked to improve on their 10–6 record in 2009, during which they swept the AFC North for the first time in team history and made the playoffs as division champions. At the conclusion of the season, however, the Bengals finished 4–12

It sorta appears that Dalton actually had consistent "game-manager" stats late in the Season last yr.  (especially if we take away the Pitt game) http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2015.htm

I wish ya continued success.  But, as I look at the previous years game stats?  It screams QB2   (Id almost want to suggest selling high)  But instead, I hope theres continued success, and appreciate ya pointing out the fact that their indeed might at least be another streamer worthy QB

Over the past few years Dalton has put up much better numbers when Green & Eifert are both in the lineup, compared to when either or both of them are out. 2013-16 stats:

His 16-game pace, in the 31 games when both played: 357/564, 4277 yards, 31 TD, 13 INT
His 16-game pace, in the 29 games that either/both missed: 329/507, 3752 yards, 19 TD, 14 INT

More attempts, slightly higher YPA, and way more TDs when Green & Eifert are on the field.

This also makes it seem even better that Cincy keeps adding weapons - Dalton has been a QB whose production is heavily influenced by his supporting cast, so if they add more weapons that's especially good for him. And, with more weapons, the passing offense might be in a better position to keep going strong even if they lose a skill position player to injury.

Adding a good receiving back in Mixon could also help Dalton get a lot of cheap fantasy points, if the offense starts going to their RBs a little more through screens & other short passes, and a little less through handoffs.

Andy Dalton could return to being a top 5 QB if he can get the ball out of his hands fast enough.
You may want to rethink it. The way Dalton is playing he is a QB3-far from a top 5 guy. I'm thinking we may see McCarron as early as the second half of the next game. Cincy needs a spark and Dalton isn't giving it to them.

He has always been the beneficiary of having a strong line with good supporting talent and a good defense.  Now that his team talent has fallen back to the pack he's now showing his true colors.  

Tons of offensive weapons but the line is trash. They let Whit and Zeitler walk who were the two best guys on the line and thought they could plug two high draft picks in and not miss a beat. Wrong. Saw this coming a mile away but even so didn't think Dalton would look this bad. I'm a guy who typically has a long leash but I think it's time to see what McCarron can do.

Users who are viewing this thread