What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

Every time he touches the ball he seems to make 5 yards out of nothing.  
Really impressed with his vision. When it’s not there he makes a quick jump cut to the next lane & finds a crease. Or bounces off guys & keeps motoring forward.

I'm not sure why they went away from him when they did. Keep him in the game, throw some passes so the box isn't stacked the run him to the middle. He was makin very good ground on a lot of his runs. Was surprised they didn't bring him back in near the goal line in the series where Jaquizz was in the game 

Doug Martin rushed 13 times for 74 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Week 5 loss to the Patriots.

He added an eight-yard reception. Making his first appearance since last December, Martin was electric, arguably looking as fast as he has in an NFL uniform. He also looked lean. Martin could have had a much bigger night, but evidently wasn't up for a bigger workload following the long layoff. The Bucs had Charles Sims on the field in desperation comeback mode. Nevertheless, Martin aced the eye test, and had a nice fantasy effort to boot. He should get more work in the Bucs' Week 6 trip to Arizona. Martin figures to be a top-18 option from here on out.

Seemed like Winston was trying to force the ball to Jackson the whole game.

They really should have given the ball to Martin more. He was running well. At the half Martin had 11 rushing attempts for about 70 yards and they only gave him the ball twice more.

As a Bucs fan, I can't remember the last time Doug looked that fast and shifty. He appears to be in great shape.

I think he's in for a nice season. Shame I don't own him in my main league.

Usage was very questionable.  Is he not yet in game shape?  Didn't seem that way but how else do you explain so few touches as the game remained entirely winnable?

Hopefully the coaching staff see what we all saw when they watch the tape and feed him going forward.

Glad I got him in one of my dynasty leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
it was odd, it didnt seem like he played at all in the 4th... it was mostly sims and passing work.. but they gave quizz a 4th qtr series i believe

i found the bucs gameplan to be bizarre... Martin's TD drive he was running through huge holes... and then after the TD it was as if they forgot how easily they ran the ball down the field and then just kept passing over and over again.

provided martin came out of the game clean, he looked great.

I said to a buddy at work today, I expected them to set up the passing game with the run, if Martin looked capable of being a threat.  Cowher said the same at half time, but still no change.  It really was bizarre.  The game plan seemed to be lacking any deception or creativity.  I've not seen any other Buccs games this year so I have nothing to compare against but maybe this was the game they needed to adjust going forward.  Too bad it didn't happen in game, because they could have had the win.

Which doesn't make much sense to me considering Martin was completely fresh, this being his first game.
It's one thing to be fresh and in shape but another to be in football shape, i.e used to taking hits from 240+ pound dudes over and over again. I really do think they just didn't want to overdo it and risk injury. 

I think it was simply the fact that he only had one day to practice the game plan and when it came to hurry up/two minute and the passing game the coaches decided to go with the guys who had practiced those situations for the past four weeks and Martin probably didn't have time to practice on Tuesday. The running game is far more instinctive than the passing game.

Knowing/reading the play book just isn't the same as practice reps particularly when it comes to timing in the passing game. 

Maybe it was a coaching mistake to not roll the dice with Martin in those situations but remember that they were in this game until the end. Nick Folk cost them the game every bit as much, more really, than coaching decisions.

Bottom line is he looked great, and was highly productive with his touches. He looked like 2012/2015 Doug Martin and his fantasy owners should all be thrilled with his outlook for the rest of the season.

I think it was simply the fact that he only had one day to practice the game plan and when it came to hurry up/two minute and the passing game the coaches decided to go with the guys who had practiced those situations for the past four weeks and Martin probably didn't have time to practice on Tuesday. The running game is far more instinctive than the passing game.

Knowing/reading the play book just isn't the same as practice reps particularly when it comes to timing in the passing game. 
This seems reasonable. There a few tough match ups coming, but excited to see him acclimate and get going....any south swell showing down in Cardiff?

Maybe it was a coaching mistake to not roll the dice with Martin in those situations but remember that they were in this game until the end. Nick Folk cost them the game every bit as much, more really, than coaching decisions.

Bottom line is he looked great, and was highly productive with his touches. He looked like 2012/2015 Doug Martin and his fantasy owners should all be thrilled with his outlook for the rest of the season.
And he gave us nice points on a very risky game to start him. Very happy with the effort and Outlook moving forward

Our father, who art a hamster, Dougie be thy name, thy touchdowns come, suspension done, on turf time to put up 37. Give me 38, our daily bread, and forgive us our waivers, as we forgive those who performance enhance against us... and lead us not into consolation, but deliver us the trophy 

Our father, who art a hamster, Dougie be thy name, thy touchdowns come, suspension done, on turf time to put up 37. Give me 38, our daily bread, and forgive us our waivers, as we forgive those who performance enhance against us... and lead us not into consolation, but deliver us the trophy 
what a dork

This cracked me up.

Took a shot on him as a Flex--and chances are, he'll turn out better than Mel Gordon or Ameer Abdullah who I have as my RB's thisweek. Glad to see these numbers going after a long hiatus.

From watching the game, my takeaway was that TB came out of the second half with Martin in mind, but just continually got behind in down/distance (3rd and anything over 5 to go) so Sims came in.  Then, starting the 4th quarter, TB was down 2 scores, so Sims was in from there on out when they were playing catch up.  I think if Folk had hit the FG either at the start of the 4th or with 5 minutes left to make the game 16-10, TB would have stayed committed to the run. 

FYI, TB only ran the ball twice in the 4th.  Martin to open the 4th (3rd & 2) and not again until the 8:50 mark with Sims (2nd & 2).  No other designed runs the entire quarter 

Also, I think Sims will always be the 2-minute drill RB, and probably rightfully so.

Bottom line, I like what I saw out of Martin.  I don't think it was much about the playbook or lack of prep.  I think it was Winston not sustaining drives (man, he looked bad all game) and then TB just panicking into playing catchup with the Pats.

The lack of practice time definitely showed up on at least one play... Third down pass to Martin in the flat... Looked to me like Winston was expecting Martin to take a little different angle toward the boundary. Pass fell incomplete, punt.

Excited to have D. Martin alive and well (especially if Zeke is suspended).

I've never owned him. One question I have is his receiving usage. It seems like C. Sims is the clear receiving back when TB is clearly in catchup mode. In tight games, does Martin have PPR value?? Like 3 - 25 type value?? Or does he have brick walls for hands (like it seemed last night)?

davearm said:
The lack of practice time definitely showed up on at least one play... Third down pass to Martin in the flat... Looked to me like Winston was expecting Martin to take a little different angle toward the boundary. Pass fell incomplete, punt.
There was another pass a little later where martin was wide open for a first down about 8 yards away from Winston and Winston decided to throw it 120 mph and it went through Martin's hands.  That is something that Winston has in common with Cam Newton. Two strong-armed guys who have never developed touch or the ability to understand when to take a little off. 

kyoun1e said:
Excited to have D. Martin alive and well (especially if Zeke is suspended).

I've never owned him. One question I have is his receiving usage. It seems like C. Sims is the clear receiving back when TB is clearly in catchup mode. In tight games, does Martin have PPR value?? Like 3 - 25 type value?? Or does he have brick walls for hands (like it seemed last night)?
He missed one target that I saw.

Winston threw too high and it was a bullet pass that I thought he could have been more accurate with and some touch on it would be nice, but Martin likely should have caught that anyways.

Martin can catch. He had 49 receptions as a rookie in 2012 and 33 receptions in 2015 when he played 16 games.

Tampa does have Sims who fills their receiving RB role though. 2 receptions per game was the pace he was catching the ball in 2015. Seems reasonable to expect that from him, but maybe not more, although I do think he is capable of more.

chad in Indy said:
From watching the game, my takeaway was that TB came out of the second half with Martin in mind, but just continually got behind in down/distance (3rd and anything over 5 to go) so Sims came in.  Then, starting the 4th quarter, TB was down 2 scores, so Sims was in from there on out when they were playing catch up.  I think if Folk had hit the FG either at the start of the 4th or with 5 minutes left to make the game 16-10, TB would have stayed committed to the run. 

FYI, TB only ran the ball twice in the 4th.  Martin to open the 4th (3rd & 2) and not again until the 8:50 mark with Sims (2nd & 2).  No other designed runs the entire quarter 

Also, I think Sims will always be the 2-minute drill RB, and probably rightfully so.

Bottom line, I like what I saw out of Martin.  I don't think it was much about the playbook or lack of prep.  I think it was Winston not sustaining drives (man, he looked bad all game) and then TB just panicking into playing catchup with the Pats.
Seems to me this is quite common in the NFL. Very few teams seem to commit to the run anymore. You get Pitt running Bell 30+ times occasionally and there are a few others that give their RB's plenty of work (Gordon, McCoy and one or two others) but all too often, teams get into pass mode far too quickly. Down 7 late first, let's start slinging the ball all over the place, seems a foolish idea, especially when your QB lacks accuracy and touch.

There was another pass a little later where martin was wide open for a first down about 8 yards away from Winston and Winston decided to throw it 120 mph and it went through Martin's hands.  That is something that Winston has in common with Cam Newton. Two strong-armed guys who have never developed touch or the ability to understand when to take a little off. 

i mean... martin still should have caught that tho. it wasn't like he was standing right next to him. he was 10-12 yards away.

Screw muscle hamster, dougie looked like mighty mouse or speedy gonzales last night. I'm happy I started him and satisfied with the 15+ pt game, but with how he looked I think he easily could've had 20+ pts. Sheeeiit, he might have had 20+ just by catching those other targets plus some YAC. 

Screw muscle hamster, dougie looked like mighty mouse or speedy gonzales last night. I'm happy I started him and satisfied with the 15+ pt game, but with how he looked I think he easily could've had 20+ pts. Sheeeiit, he might have had 20+ just by catching those other targets plus some YAC. 
Totally agree.  I am completely baffled as to how they didn't give him the rock more often, dude look possessed.

I doubt we see much of Quizz next week, I don't see how they don't give him 20-25 touches a game moving forward

Totally agree.  I am completely baffled as to how they didn't give him the rock more often, dude look possessed.

I doubt we see much of Quizz next week, I don't see how they don't give him 20-25 touches a game moving forward
This.

Clearly the best player on the field for TB last night, but for intensive purposes, could have showered after the 3rd quarter.

Users who are viewing this thread