What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (6 Viewers)

May be on an island here, but I'm on a resort vacation with my 14 year old son (and was last Summer as well this time of year).  Dads....please don't let your 13-16 year old daughter wear thong bikinis.  It's all I can do to help my son not live in a fantasy land of pron.  When girls around his age are prancing around the pool in thong bikinis it's tough enough for me, a LOW T 45 year old.  Let alone, my 14 year old son has zero chance.  And most every time dad is laying there on his pool chair looking at his phone while his daughter pulls the American Beauty out there.  C'mon!!
Truth is, he's dying inside. No Dad wants to see his daughter like that. But they have all but no control anymore.

When people (my wife and all her sisters for example) set bowls/platters of food out from which people will then load up their own plates buffet-style, is it that hard to match functionally-appropriate serving utensils with each?

Wtf is a pair of tongs doing in the bowl of rice? Why is there a regular fork you eat with in the dish of green beans?? And get that leaky slotted spoon the #### out of the saucy baked beans!!! My Lord. 
Agree with everything except for the slotted spoon complain.  If I'm at a picnic or whatever and piling up my plate, I don't want baked beans sauce underneath everything on my plate.  The only time a regular spoon can go here is if there are plates with dividers available.

IvanKaramazov said:
People who walk slowly and precisely in the middle of a sidewalk, making it impossible to get around them without going off the sidewalk.  These people have no spatial awareness.
and head buried in their phone

this is especially true on NYC sidewalks. just stay to the right. they're like your streets... stay to the right, pass on the left, pull over to the side if you have to stop, don't take up the whole width of the sidewalk with your group. 

and of course- if you're moving around in this country- just stay to the right, including exiting doors. 

and yeah- my least favorite is walking into double (both operational) to the right, holding the door for my wife and kids and then having the usually millennial girl think I'm holding it for her (because entitled) and pushes through my family coming through the door.  the door to her left. 

IvanKaramazov said:
People who walk slowly and precisely in the middle of a sidewalk, making it impossible to get around them without going off the sidewalk.  These people have no spatial awareness.

IvanKaramazov said:
Those people get shouldered because I'm not stepping off the sidewalk.

What???? I dont think he is saying he lowers the boom. I wouldnt leave the sidewalk either if they were coming at me like that. If i was passing them from behind then i would leave the sidewalk.
Sometimes I stiffen up my body and plow into them.  Not so much lower the boom, but they definitely get knocked off course.  And I'll usually turn my head and look the other way right before impact, maybe even point at something so it looks like it was a complete accident.  And I never acknowledge the impact.  Just keep on walking.  I especially love doing it to young females who walk towards you expecting everyone to move to get out of their way.  

Sometimes I stiffen up my body and plow into them.  Not so much lower the boom, but they definitely get knocked off course.  And I'll usually turn my head and look the other way right before impact, maybe even point at something so it looks like it was a complete accident.  And I never acknowledge the impact.  Just keep on walking.  I especially love doing it to young females who walk towards you expecting everyone to move to get out of their way.  
I like to go with the stop and tie my shoe routine. 

Funny story (to me) about this.  Had a friend in high school who was undersized, but over confident.  We were weaving our way through the mall food court.  Crowded and shoulder to shoulder.  My buddy does this to a guy twice his size.  I didn't notice.  We stop a little bit after he lowers the boom deciding what to eat.  Next thing I know, this guy is standing in front of my buddy confronting him about what the heck he was doing.  I notice that this guy's two friends have me flanked.  No way I'm throwing down to protect my buddy in a fight he got himself into.  Finally cooler heads prevailed and no injuries resulted.  But, knowing I was on the cups of getting my butt kicked for my friends desire to not turn his shoulder, I learned to generally avoid trying to make a point with oblivious people.

Funny story (to me) about this.  Had a friend in high school who was undersized, but over confident.  We were weaving our way through the mall food court.  Crowded and shoulder to shoulder.  My buddy does this to a guy twice his size.  I didn't notice.  We stop a little bit after he lowers the boom deciding what to eat.  Next thing I know, this guy is standing in front of my buddy confronting him about what the heck he was doing.  I notice that this guy's two friends have me flanked.  No way I'm throwing down to protect my buddy in a fight he got himself into.  Finally cooler heads prevailed and no injuries resulted.  But, knowing I was on the cups of getting my butt kicked for my friends desire to not turn his shoulder, I learned to generally avoid trying to make a point with oblivious people.
It's all about not making it obvious.  I've had people confront me and I'll just look at them confused and kind of scared and ask "What?  Do I know you?"  Crazy person yelling in a crowd is like a super victory to me.  

Worse is groups walking abreast of each other down the sidewalk/hallway. 

Friends, there are three of you walking toward me leaving no room for me to walk.

The one closest to me needs to slow down a pace or two, get behind your other friends, and then speed up again to rejoin your friends in your West Side Story When You're A Jet reenactment.

Merging in traffic. You learned in kindergarten how to take turns. I go, you go. One at a time.

That includes you, classic Jaguar guy. I already let someone in in front of me. You saw it happen. You need to go in behind me. That's the RULE.
Four way stops are the scourge of America's roads IMO, but this is a close second

Last edited by a moderator:
Merging in traffic. You learned in kindergarten how to take turns. I go, you go. One at a time.

That includes you, classic Jaguar guy. I already let someone in in front of me. You saw it happen. You need to go in behind me. That's the RULE.
Waiting until the dashed white line to merge would also help a ton.  Wait just a bit would speed up the whole process so traffic can get to equal speed to merge.

Worse is groups walking abreast of each other down the sidewalk/hallway. 

Friends, there are three of you walking toward me leaving no room for me to walk.

The one closest to me needs to slow down a pace or two, get behind your other friends, and then speed up again to rejoin your friends in your West Side Story When You're A Jet reenactment.
Part of the problem w your jets scenario of rejoining the group to take out the entire width of sidewalk is that they're not paying attention to people behind them who might be moving faster and who are now stuck behind the great Wall. 

I treat these people as of they're playing red Rover and they've called for floppo to come over.

when people learn something new and within days are suddenly experts on the topic. at least in their own mind they are.

i get it, you happened across a car show in some small town on Saturday and discovered... hey, cars look pretty cool. that doesn't mean on Monday that you get to tell your mechanic what's wrong with his car, how to fix it, what parts he should be using, the amount of time it should take him, how he should have maintained his car to prevent this in the first place, etc. and then get pissy when he pushes back because he realizes you're talking out of your ###.

learning new information does not make your opinions, ideas and thoughts on the subject absolutely and utterly correct in all situations.

not sure if that's narcissism, insanity or naivete.

eta: i blame the internet for this, btw

Last edited by a moderator:
Companies/businesses that tell you they will call you at a certain time and they don't call until hours later.  No text or call to say they need to reschedule or ask can I call them back at a certain time. Nothing.  

Then they apologize and say the system was down or something.  "I'll call you at 8 AM tomorrow, I promise."   8 AM comes... then 9.. nothing.. 11, 1 PM.  

I don't want your service.  I'll call someone else. Thanks for nothing.  

Professionalism seems to escape some people in the customer service business.  

Twice in the last week I've gotten on an interstate on-ramp and encountered another car STOPPED at the end of it because they don't think they are able to merge in.  You've got another 100 yards of merging lane to work with and pick an opening. Holy crap is this dangerous! If I was a traffic cop I would find some sort of loophole to take these idiot's licenses away.  If they think it's hard merging into 70 mph traffic when they're doing 45-50 down the ramp, how in the world do they think they can merge in from a stand-still?!?!

Twice in the last week I've gotten on an interstate on-ramp and encountered another car STOPPED at the end of it because they don't think they are able to merge in.  You've got another 100 yards of merging lane to work with and pick an opening. Holy crap is this dangerous! If I was a traffic cop I would find some sort of loophole to take these idiot's licenses away.  If they think it's hard merging into 70 mph traffic when they're doing 45-50 down the ramp, how in the world do they think they can merge in from a stand-still?!?!
around here this is most prevalent at roundabouts. sometimes you do need to stop for traffic from the left, but often you can just breeze on in and keep it moving.

the number of people that full stop to let traffic clear entirely from the roundabout is astonishing.

These people make me stabby

Just step on the fn gas

The way soccer scoring is discussed drives me crazy.  Maybe too late to change terminology now, but there's no way that the guy who kicks the penalty kick goal should be credited with a goal rather than the guy who drew the penalty.  Just saw an article "Chelsea fight back thanks to Abraham and Barkley".  I see that those are Chelsea's two goal scorers...but both on PKs.  Based on the headline, I'd assume they drew their own penalties...but no...Mount and Kovacic drew the penalties.  Why are on earth do the guys who succeeded on an 80% kick get credited over the guys who created that 80% chance?  And why should we talk about goal scoring as if the guy who scores 20 goals without ever taking his team's set pieces isn't far better than the guy who takes every PK for his team and gets a similar number of goals?

One that is fresh in my head... the annoying (usually female) person in the gccoery check out line that holds up everyone while she decides to fight to the death over the $.50 off coupon for the item she is buying that is not the right brand/not the right size/not the right item/outdated by four years that the store will not honor. Yes, we definitely need to hold everyone up while you call for the manager. I guess I should learn to just carry a few quarters in my pocket so I can throw them at them to cover the difference so the rest of us can get on with our lives.

When a group of people congregate in a doorway. Nevermind that other people may be trying to get in or out, you just stop and have a conversation that can't be had anywhere else.
And tourists in groups of 6 to 10 that have to spread out and take up an entire area to take pictures,and selfies. Especially the people in the group not involved in the picture that just cluelessly stand right in the pathway of everyone walking. 

I have come of the conclusion that some people are missing the intelligence gene that alerts them to step to the side when stopping somewhere (instead of stopping in the middle of the aisle/walkway, etc).

Examples - those that leave their shopping cart in the middle of the aisle when stopping to peruse items (move it to the side!)

At an amusement park, they stop in the middle with their stroller to have a conversation (move to the side, dummy!)

Or as Tom Skerrit said above - stopping in the doorway to talk instead of off to one side (move over you #$%@^! fools!)

I have come of the conclusion that some people are missing the intelligence gene that alerts them to step to the side when stopping somewhere (instead of stopping in the middle of the aisle/walkway, etc).

Examples - those that leave their shopping cart in the middle of the aisle when stopping to peruse items (move it to the side!)

At an amusement park, they stop in the middle with their stroller to have a conversation (move to the side, dummy!)

Or as Tom Skerrit said above - stopping in the doorway to talk instead of off to one side (move over you #$%@^! fools!)
I am related to some of these people, and I wish I could buy some self-awareness for them.

DallasDMac said:
One that is fresh in my head... the annoying (usually female) person in the gccoery check out line that holds up everyone while she decides to fight to the death over the $.50 off coupon for the item she is buying that is not the right brand/not the right size/not the right item/outdated by four years that the store will not honor. Yes, we definitely need to hold everyone up while you call for the manager. I guess I should learn to just carry a few quarters in my pocket so I can throw them at them to cover the difference so the rest of us can get on with our lives.
Winner

Two for today.

The term "gently used" pisses me off for no good reason.  Just call it used, you idiots.

Also, people who use any kind of non-standard mouse on their work computers.  I had to temporarily use someone else's workstation and they had this god awful vertical mouse contraption.  The best way I can describe it is that you hold it the way you hold your ####. Was impossible to use effectively.  And don't get me started on people who prefer trackballs.  Just so weird.  Use a regular mouse like the rest of us.  

For me it's the scratch off and cigarette buyers at my local convenience store..  I'll swing in to grab a couple of quick things...

There are two checkouts.. i'll be next in line for either (one line, next up goes to either one).. and both people at each checkout will have a ton of items with zero hurry or rush.. As the line stacks up behind me, EVERY SINGLE TIME, both people will get to the end and then stand there and go.. "ummm.. what number is that Shooting Star scratch off on??.. ok, that's not going to be a winner.. What about the Bingo $5 one??  Noooo.. I don't want that one either... give me five of the $20 Millionaire tickets.. no, not those one.. the ones on the top left"..  And then pull out a $100 bill.. and this is after they used a Bridge Card for their groceries..   Same scenario as the smokers.. just insert cigs for scratch offs..

:wall:

The way soccer scoring is discussed drives me crazy.  Maybe too late to change terminology now, but there's no way that the guy who kicks the penalty kick goal should be credited with a goal rather than the guy who drew the penalty.  Just saw an article "Chelsea fight back thanks to Abraham and Barkley".  I see that those are Chelsea's two goal scorers...but both on PKs.  Based on the headline, I'd assume they drew their own penalties...but no...Mount and Kovacic drew the penalties.  Why are on earth do the guys who succeeded on an 80% kick get credited over the guys who created that 80% chance?  And why should we talk about goal scoring as if the guy who scores 20 goals without ever taking his team's set pieces isn't far better than the guy who takes every PK for his team and gets a similar number of goals?
Do you take away points from NBA players when they shoot a technical?

Sorry, but this is a silly pet peeve imo.

Do you take away points from NBA players when they shoot a technical?

Sorry, but this is a silly pet peeve imo.
I think it's a fair *asterisk* talking point when comparing players who score goals... how many goals from the run of play did each score, how many pks? plus, PKs aren't automatic- there's a reason certain guys are the guys to take them- ice in their veins etc. and while the basketball comparison is somewhat apt- scoring in basketball isn't quite the same as scoring in soccer... by a matter of lots.  but I'm with you here... this isn't a peeve I'd ever pet. 

For me it's the scratch off and cigarette buyers at my local convenience store..  I'll swing in to grab a couple of quick things...

There are two checkouts.. i'll be next in line for either (one line, next up goes to either one).. and both people at each checkout will have a ton of items with zero hurry or rush.. As the line stacks up behind me, EVERY SINGLE TIME, both people will get to the end and then stand there and go.. "ummm.. what number is that Shooting Star scratch off on??.. ok, that's not going to be a winner.. What about the Bingo $5 one??  Noooo.. I don't want that one either... give me five of the $20 Millionaire tickets.. no, not those one.. the ones on the top left"..  And then pull out a $100 bill.. and this is after they used a Bridge Card for their groceries..   Same scenario as the smokers.. just insert cigs for scratch offs..

:wall:
I've mentioned this type of thing also. I want one item and the difference of a 20 dollar bill in my gas tank and some numbnut in front of me is spending his entire paycheck at a freaking gas station on a never-ending series of crap items.

I think it's a fair *asterisk* talking point when comparing players who score goals... how many goals from the run of play did each score, how many pks? plus, PKs aren't automatic- there's a reason certain guys are the guys to take them- ice in their veins etc. and while the basketball comparison is somewhat apt- scoring in basketball isn't quite the same as scoring in soccer... by a matter of lots.  but I'm with you here... this isn't a peeve I'd ever pet. 
How is it any different than Player A who receives a difficult pass, jukes 3 guys including the goalie, then makes a simple pass to Player B who scores?  It was in the "live play", but A did all the work and B gets the goal in the box score.  So what.  Who put the ball in the back of the net ... period.

DallasDMac said:
So, you would have been proud of me. I read this yesterday morning,  and coincidentally had to go to the grocery store late yesterday afternoon. Sure as heck I get in line and the EXACT scenario starts to unfold in front of me. The line is starting to build, and I turn around and this other dude share this eye roll, like - can you believe this sheeeit over $.50?

So I'm thinking of your post, and I reach into my pocket and grab a dollar bill. My heart is beating FAST - man I wish I was wearing a heart monitor. I pull out this bill and hand it to the cashier and say: "This should take care of it."

The guy behind me pipes up and says: "Hey, double coupon day!"    :lmao:

Everybody starts rolling - the customer with the coupon, the cashier, the whole line...was awesome. I seriously laughed the whole way home.

Users who are viewing this thread