What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Martavis Bryant (3 Viewers)

So to show everyone he has overcome his addiction he heads to a place where there are addictive behaviors and substances. Got it.
My thoughts exactly.  That is the absolute worst place he should be spending his time if he truly wants to overcome the bad habits that led to his year long suspension.  My take is that he does not yet fully appreciate nor understand the depth and seriousness of his situation. 

Both the Steelers and FF owners should take a lesson from the Josh Gordon situation here. If Bryant does get clean and play again, great, but look at that as a bonus. He shouldn't be counted on again, period. Another talented 25 year old millionaire (though just barely in Bryant's case) who doesn't just really care too much about football at the end of the day.

That nightclub stuff does seem like bad news...  If you have problems don't even put yourself in that situation.   Here is hoping he can just resist it knowing he can come back to that life later,  if he wants,  when the earning money days are over. 

Bulking up while not being able to practice football at all? That's a guaranteed hammy injury during training camp or preseason, which lingers into the regular season and creates a small buy-low window even after we know he's going to play. Calling it now.

Bulking up while not being able to practice football at all? That's a guaranteed hammy injury during training camp or preseason, which lingers into the regular season and creates a small buy-low window even after we know he's going to play. Calling it now.
Assuming he doesn't stretch while bulking up?  But yeah if he doesn't take precautions then yeah problems are coming, but I assume he's been given smart advice avoiding those types of things.  

JF: Last year, when you were banned, Ben Roethlisberger said you had lied to him. Are you worried about your relationship with your quarterback?

MB: I’m a grown man and he’s a grown man. I’m not going up to another grown man and explain my business to him. I understand he’s my teammate and I love my teammate and he’s a leader. But I have my own life and he has his own life.

I'm not sure he has learned anything..DB

JF: Last year, when you were banned, Ben Roethlisberger said you had lied to him. Are you worried about your relationship with your quarterback?

MB: I’m a grown man and he’s a grown man. I’m not going up to another grown man and explain my business to him. I understand he’s my teammate and I love my teammate and he’s a leader. But I have my own life and he has his own life.

I'm not sure he has learned anything..DB
Yeah, this was what bothered me the most. If you f***ed up, just say something simple to your team, like "I'm sorry I f***ed up. I'm working to be a better man." Bam, case closed. Not "We're both men so I don't owe you sh**".  That's not the way to regrow a healthy relationship with the QB.

Hopefully in private he will apologize/try to show the team that he's trying to do things the right way.  Sadly, I have my doubts.

In case anyone has forgotten:

Derrick@derrick_daKidD Jan 13

Martavis Bryant in the divisional round of the playoffs last year:

9 catches for 154 yards against the best secondary in football.

very hard to overcome drugs addictions
True, and I think the struggles Josh Gordon has had impacted the fantasy value of Bryant in Dynasty leagues.

I think he was going for a low to mid 2nd after the news of the year long suspension broke. Despite the fact the Steelers didn't draft a WR early and no one really stepped up to replace him, not sure you could get that price now. More like 2.05+. Haven't seen that many trades to a get a feel on his value.

No one is going to give him up for that.  Hold and hope.  Can't count on the guy, if he comes back, it's gravy.  I traded for him last August for a late 3rd and theo riddick

Just like Gordon was, the only guys trying to buy are the bargain hunters but at a bargain price may as well hold him.  This is a deep draft, I just did rankings through 25 and John Ross ended up 13.  Knowing at least 2-3 others will pick guys I don't like ahead of that, it's pretty safe to say I wouldn't give any earlier than 15 for him.  If I had him I'd let him go for anything 15 and under.

I am really hoping for the best for him, but I suspect he still has some work to do in getting his off the field habits straight.  He is out clubbing late at night.  Maybe he's just there and not partaking of the weed or drinking too much. But he's still out there hanging around the party scene. I do wish him well. He is a great talent. But his off the field issues could possibly derail his career....whether you agree with nfl conduct rules or not.

He's a young guy with money, he's going to go out at night and have fun. As long as he stays clear of the law and doesn't get caught doing anything that gets him suspended, that's all I care about.  Would it be ideal if he became a great teammate and a pillar of the community, yes. But I don't think that'll ever be him. I just hope he's not the next Josh Gordon, Mike Williams, Justin Blackmon, etc.

No one is going to give him up for that.  Hold and hope.  Can't count on the guy, if he comes back, it's gravy.  I traded for him last August for a late 3rd and theo riddick
I'd trade him for the 2.05 in a heartbeat. People talk about how dumb these players are and they don't learn...

I wouldn't trade him for 1.05 but then, I already have 3 1sts and can use them as insurance. The guy is a freak athlete.

This doesn't mean squat.  It's a proposal, and it hasn't even been finalized, let alone proposed, let alone negotiated, let alone agreed upon by the NFL.  This doesn't change anything at all for Bryant.
In the short term, i agree with you

Appearing Wednesday at the Combine, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert spoke about suspended WR Martavis Bryant in the past tense.

It doesn't mean the Steelers have moved on from Bryant, but Colbert is the second member of Pittsburgh's front office to infer the team isn't counting on Bryant for 2017. "Martavis was a great asset to us when he was available," Colbert said. In late January, president Art Rooney II replied, "I'm not sure at this point you can count on him" when asked about Bryant, adding Martavis still had "a ways to go" to become a serious candidate for NFL reinstatement.

Source: Marc Sessler on Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything the local honks in the Pittsburgh media have reported all claim "he has done what he needed to do."   That's as much as anyone I've seen has reported on it one way or the other.
Thanks exactly what I was looking for. Okay now we wait...

Unless there are other indiscretions that haven't come to light yet, I fully expect Bryant to be reinstated based on how this situation played out with Gordon in the past. Obviously if Bryant is still dropping dirty then he's pretty screwed, but on the surface he's done much more over the past year to put himself in the right situation and surround himself with the right people than guys like Gordon/Blackmon ever did. 

This is just a personal opinion, but as a father myself I think most men are more likely to succeed when they know they're working to support and take care of their family. Unlike guys like Gordon/Blackmon, Bryant is a father of two, and in more than one interview he's pointed to and mentioned his children as the key underlying motivation to put himself back on the right path. Most won't think anything of this, but this is a big part of the reason why I've said for a while that I think Martavis will succeed where guys like Gordon/Blackmon had failed. It sounds like we shouldn't be too far away from finding out whether I was naive in placing optimism in this kid's ability and desire to get his life back on track. Of course I don't know him from a hole in the wall, but everything I've read/heard over the past year leads me to believe that Bryant could end up being one of the few success stories when it comes to these substance abuse players.

Unless there are other indiscretions that haven't come to light yet, I fully expect Bryant to be reinstated based on how this situation played out with Gordon in the past. Obviously if Bryant is still dropping dirty then he's pretty screwed, but on the surface he's done much more over the past year to put himself in the right situation and surround himself with the right people than guys like Gordon/Blackmon ever did. 

This is just a personal opinion, but as a father myself I think most men are more likely to succeed when they know they're working to support and take care of their family. Unlike guys like Gordon/Blackmon, Bryant is a father of two, and in more than one interview he's pointed to and mentioned his children as the key underlying motivation to put himself back on the right path. Most won't think anything of this, but this is a big part of the reason why I've said for a while that I think Martavis will succeed where guys like Gordon/Blackmon had failed. It sounds like we shouldn't be too far away from finding out whether I was naive in placing optimism in this kid's ability and desire to get his life back on track. Of course I don't know him from a hole in the wall, but everything I've read/heard over the past year leads me to believe that Bryant could end up being one of the few success stories when it comes to these substance abuse players.
He would be the first success story imo, no one has come back from a year long drug suspension and became relevant. He is in the right situation to do it though- PIT missed him this year, Coates/Wheaton/dhb didn't get it done. I inquired about him earlier this year in my leagues but prices were a little absurd (before any of the recent news, a late first?) 

I traded for him about midway through last year.  Was T. West/Edelman and a 5th rounder.  Neither are big pieces for me so I swung and I'm hoping it pays this year. 

Didnt he fail like, several drug tests? Being a parent didnt knock any sense into him then. Some people are just dumb I guess. Millions of dollars and your families future on the line, and you cant pass tests that you know you have to take....

I hope he gets it together and we can chalk it up to being young and stupid, guy is obviously talented

Let's assume he's reinstated and has 0 suspensions in the future (slim chance, I know).  Where would he rank for you in redraft and dynasty?

I'd have him Redraft - Top 40, After Cooper but ahead of Crabtree.

Dynasty - Top 40, After C. Coleman but ahead of Doctson/ Shepard.  

Let's assume he's reinstated and has 0 suspensions in the future (slim chance, I know).  Where would he rank for you in redraft and dynasty?

I'd have him Redraft - Top 40, After Cooper but ahead of Crabtree.

Dynasty - Top 40, After C. Coleman but ahead of Doctson/ Shepard.  
I wouldnt argue top 40 right now, if he were zero % off field risk, i wouldnt argue with top 30

If I remember correctly there was a deadline on when he was supposed to notify Bell about whether his suspension would be shortened before last season, and he took an extra month or 2 past the "deadline". I don't think it's a fixed rule, more of a suggestion.  Aka, the Commissioner can do whatever he wants. But hopefully we get Bryant back pre-draft.

Users who are viewing this thread