What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (14 Viewers)

My ranking is also based on upside, if he doesn't get 3rd down/passing game catches like I think he should I'll move him down to just above Jeremy Hill range.
You've said this a few times but what leads you to believe that he won't get the 3rd down role...is that just because you haven't seen it yet or is there something more? Everything I've read is that Fisher sees him as a 3rd down back, he's a great receiver and good blocker. Again, I made the accord reference but I was somewhat serious...if you're down in a game do you want a schlub like Cunningham catching the ball or a guy who is you get in space can break one from anywhere on the field.

Everything I've read is that they're building their offense around him. Earlier in this thread Bob Magaw posted some good clips on Fisher after the draft just gloating about this kid and how excited he was...they had a press conference to discuss it. In a time where teams aren't drafting RBs early over the past several years for a team to draft him 10th coming off a knee injury speaks volumes. Fisher is a true workhorse back coach and there's nothing I've heard that would indicate that he won't be an AP, Charles, Forte type back that is out there in every role. Now that might not be this week and he may have to work into that role over a bit of time but I just can't see him playing in every role.
Honestly it's just because of how conservative Jeff Fischer is. I definitely want to use Gurley all the time, but NFL coaches (especially old school coaches like Fischer) never seem to do what I want and I just don't trust coach speak.

When I have to pay the kind of prices that people are asking for Gurley right now (Adams/CJ Anderson/Jeffery/Top5Pick got rejected?!?!?!), I just can't see paying that until I've seen it and not just heard a coach say it.

It probably just means Gurley is a true "hold" in fantasy right now. You can't sell him unless you're getting a MASSIVE haul because what if the situation all just breaks right for him with the Rams being good AND him getting all of the touches? You can't buy because you'd have to pay prices like above, and it's not a sure enough thing yet to pay those kinds of prices unless you really have a read on Fischer. I guess it's not just Fischer's decisions, it's also how things come together for the Rams as an offense. A lot of times really talented backs in mediocre offenses don't put up nearly the numbers they could if they had more competent players surrounding them, especially at QB to get them those red zone touches.

I totally agree that he SHOULD be used in all situations though, kid is a talent monster. I wish I owned him.

Not saying he's not the next great thing, but the hype is a bit much after 1 really good, not great game.
You must be taking from a fantasy points perspective because I thought he had a great game. Insane game
That wasn't any insane game. I remember Portis having over 200/yds and 5 tds once with the Broncos. Now that's an insane game.
:fishing:

Please tell me you're just here to troll.
Seriously. I will take those "good" games from here on out

Last edited by a moderator:
Not saying he's not the next great thing, but the hype is a bit much after 1 really good, not great game.
You must be taking from a fantasy points perspective because I thought he had a great game. Insane game
That wasn't any insane game. I remember Portis having over 200/yds and 5 tds once with the Broncos. Now that's an insane game.

I can tell you that you've had a history of being extremely over opinionated. That and that you have no factual data to prove your opinion at this point. I have no problem with Gurley. Just made an attempt to trade for him today. Just wasn't willing to give up what the guy wanted after 1 game. I don't play dynasty anymore.

I can tell you that you've had a history of being extremely over opinionated. That and that you have no factual data to prove your opinion at this point. I have no problem with Gurley. Just made an attempt to trade for him today. Just wasn't willing to give up what the guy wanted after 1 game. I don't play dynasty anymore.
Thought you were talking dynasty.

Seriously. I will take those "good" games from here on out
Well in his defense, Ingram has had nothing but good games so far. Hill is a different story.

Thought you were talking dynasty.
Topic heading..

Sorry to derail the thread guys!

Thanks to the ignore function, my eyes will no longer bleed as the troll compares him to Mark Friggin' Ingram.

Anywho...

How 'bout that Todd Gurley, huh?!
For sure. One of the most enjoyable things about FF is watching talent blossom.

Also for the sake of sanity for all, the topic of this thread is: *[DYNASTY) Todd Gurley* not Todd Gurley DFS or Todd Gurley Standard.

Read topic headings. Never let a good mind go to waste.

doesn't seem like it would be difficult at all to start a new topic titled something along the lines of "Gurley overrated rest of season redraft".

Worth moving Hill for Gurley in a keeper league? I don't want to jump the gun based off one game..but I'd love to acquire Gurley before I have to overpay.

Please use the report function if you see objectionable content.

Mods don't systematically read every post in every thread, but they will look at every report.

Worth moving Hill for Gurley in a keeper league? I don't want to jump the gun based off one game..but I'd love to acquire Gurley before I have to overpay.
I would definitely do that, though I like both a lot.
I'm higher on Hill than some, but Gurley and it isn't close. I'd be very surprised if Hill could fetch Gurley in a straight up trade, if so, no brainer.

Yep.

I'm done feeding the troll.

Ignore it is.
For future reference...where does one find the ignore button? (Seriously...I'm not seeing it.)
I'd help you out, but since I have you on ignore I didn't even see your post.
huh? what? But....

OOhhhh.

:)

In Gurley related news, I have no idea why I am giddier about him than most anyone I have seen in forever. Can't put a tangible account to it but I think this guy has "it".

Well he got absolutely fed the ball (17 carries) in the first half.

I wish they could get him some catches though. A 10 yard catch is worth twice as much as a 10 yard run... PPR is stupid but it is what it is.

Couple handoffs have gone to Austin that should have been Gurley's. Dude should have 100+ and a TD today.

Thanks to the ignore function, my eyes will no longer bleed as the troll compares him to Mark Friggin' Ingram.

Anywho...

For sure. One of the most enjoyable things about FF is watching talent blossom.

Also for the sake of sanity for all, the topic of this thread is: *[DYNASTY) Todd Gurley* not Todd Gurley DFS or Todd Gurley Standard.

To be fair this is the INDEXED thread for Gurley of which those indexes are normally all around information on players.

Seems there needs to be a new Gurley thread for all content that is indexed instead to keep the yearly redraft discussions out of this thread (topic heading or not)

Anywho...

For sure. One of the most enjoyable things about FF is watching talent blossom. Also for the sake of sanity for all, the topic of this thread is: *[DYNASTY) Todd Gurley* not Todd Gurley DFS or Todd Gurley Standard.

To be fair this is the INDEXED thread for Gurley of which those indexes are normally all around information on players.

Seems there needs to be a new Gurley thread for all content that is indexed instead to keep the yearly redraft discussions out of this thread (topic heading or not)
to be fair, this thread has DYNASTY in front of it, and that guy was a troll.

Wow, well I guess there goes my questions about Jeff Fischer and his usage in losing gamescripts.

I'd like to see more catches but I think 30 carries will do just fine.

I'm amazed at what this kid has done so quickly. It would be tough to come up with more difficult situations than he's faced his last two games facing two undefeated teams on the road both very solid vs. the run. He was able to win one and he single handedly kept them in the Packers game. If Foles wasn't so horrible (4 picks) and the kicker didn't miss 3 FGs they were in position for their 2nd consecutive upset of an undefeated team on the road. The impressive thing again was that while everyone in the stadium knew he was going to get the ball he still ran for nearly 160 yards in essentially his 2nd game.

The only things missing are the TD opportunities and involvement in the passing game. He's incredibly impressive to watch. Unfortunately, he has a bye coming up but after that he should get some good defenses to feast on.

Good time for the bye after 30 carries when his conditioning still can't be full strength yet.

Love this guy.

I'm amazed at what this kid has done so quickly. It would be tough to come up with more difficult situations than he's faced his last two games facing two undefeated teams on the road both very solid vs. the run. He was able to win one and he single handedly kept them in the Packers game. If Foles wasn't so horrible (4 picks) and the kicker didn't miss 3 FGs they were in position for their 2nd consecutive upset of an undefeated team on the road. The impressive thing again was that while everyone in the stadium knew he was going to get the ball he still ran for nearly 160 yards in essentially his 2nd game.

The only things missing are the TD opportunities and involvement in the passing game. He's incredibly impressive to watch. Unfortunately, he has a bye coming up but after that he should get some good defenses to feast on.
I'm happy the bye is coming now. It's pretty clear to me that although he's been impressive, he isn't at full strength. I welcome they bye and hope that when he comes back in 2 weeks the brace is gone and he's even more back to normal. Pretty scary to think about.

I'm happy the bye is coming now. It's pretty clear to me that although he's been impressive, he isn't at full strength. I welcome they bye and hope that when he comes back in 2 weeks the brace is gone and he's even more back to normal.Pretty scary to think about.
ya…I think it's ridiculous to expect 150 yards/week but if he's getting the ball 25+ it seems inevitable that he's going to find a big hole and break a big run like he's done each of the two last weeks.

I'm curious too when they involve him in the passing game.

I'm thinking more opportunity in the passing game after the bye as well. That part of the game is harder to learn than just running. He never got real work and reps in the offseason so there has to be concerns with him knowing responsibilities and with blocking. Given their oline is terrible, they have to feel the vets give them better pass protection.

Involvement there might be a slow process this year. Long term, he'll be fine.

Within a year, this guy will likely be the highest "floor" RB in football. He can not help but be a top 20 RB under the worst of bad scenarios as long as he maintains health.

I love this kid and it's been worth the wait and the price of admission. He will score more when he's at full strength. He got caught several times in the last two game that if he were healthy could/would have been easy TDs.

It feels good to finally have a stud RB that will be the bellcow in an offense that will feed him the ball in an era in which most teams are using multiple RBs in a time-share attack.

Tex

Well he got absolutely fed the ball (17 carries) in the first half.

I wish they could get him some catches though. A 10 yard catch is worth twice as much as a 10 yard run... PPR is stupid but it is what it is.
Yeah, Arian Foster had 118 total yards to Gurley's 159. In PPR scoring, Foster outscored Gurley by 4.1 points, or 41 yards of actual production. Glad to have Gurley in a non-PPR league where him not catching a lot of swing and dump off passes doesn't hurt his value.

So close to getting a score but got ankle tackled before cruising in. The next play was the Austin touchdown.

Guy had some impressive runs in between the tackles yesterday. Where almost every running back would get stuffed, he smashes and spins and lunges ahead for five. That's what gets me the most excited. Like Peterson, he can produce even when blocking is subpar. And that was just his second game.

Was just looking over the NFL stats and noticed Gurley is the 13th rusher in the NFL playing basically only 2 games and has the highest YPA of any RB with 50+ attempts.

As a Packers fan I'm actually relieved it was just 159 yards rushing. The Rams didn't use him at all in the pass game so it might've been even worse. He is an amazing talent.

Was just looking over the NFL stats and noticed Gurley is the 13th rusher in the NFL playing basically only 2 games and has the highest YPA of any RB with 50+ attempts.
His next two games: Cleveland is ranked 32nd against the run and SF is ranked 21st.............he's going to have a field day!!

Tex

His next two games: Cleveland is ranked 32nd against the run and SF is ranked 21st.............he's going to have a field day!!Tex
Also tied for the most 20+ yd runs and 40+ yd runs.Worth mention tied for the least TDs as well.

In a dynasty league, I was offered Mark Ingram and DeVante Parker for Gurley and my 2016 1st.

Easy pass.
I wouldn't trade Gurley and a 1st for Jesus.

...and I'm not talking about the Jesus that mows your lawn either. I'm talking about the Jesus that walked on water and brought a dead guy back to life.

That Jesus.

Are people really changing their dynasty ranking based on a week's performance?
For the record, since I rejoined Footballguys staff in late June and posted my 1st set of dynasty rankings, Gurley has been the #1 RB on my list.

In another thread this Summer I was asked if I'd trade Gurley for L Bell in dynasty. I said no and was told I was crazy.

Gurley is the next great back a la AP, a la Tomlinson. I don't really care that Bell had a great 2014, I can't bank last year's points. We're looking ahead, not back, and Gurley will be the standard at RB for the next several years. I think many of us in this thread understood that when we drafted him and will reap the benefits for a long time. Some of the trade offers I'm seeing for him reflect the hope that we don't know what we have here, but we do.

Love that quote:

"Some of the trade offers I'm seeing for him reflect the hope that we don't know what we have here, but we do."

Oh yes we do. :P

Users who are viewing this thread