What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Crowell (3 Viewers)

If you can't hold onto the ball, you don't get to play. Crowell not only fumbled multiple times, he allowed himself to be quoted saying he doesn't have a ball security problem. Crowell is not a very bright kid and his other quotes about hoping he will play more, how hard it is to get into a rhythm while sharing carries, etc., have not gone over well with the coaching staff.

Accordingly his snaps are disappearing. Its not that surprising, really.

Looking forward to far more carries this week. Starting him without confidence. Bye week bind but starting him nonetheless. This is the week he begins the takeover.

If you can't hold onto the ball, you don't get to play. Crowell not only fumbled multiple times, he allowed himself to be quoted saying he doesn't have a ball security problem. Crowell is not a very bright kid and his other quotes about hoping he will play more, how hard it is to get into a rhythm while sharing carries, etc., have not gone over well with the coaching staff.

From Matt Waldman's Gut Check:

The typical water cooler conversation Monday morning was Isaiah Crowell looks good, but he needs to work on his ball security. This is outcome-oriented thinking that stems from seeing three fumbles in the Steelers' contest without understanding the context of the plays. Considering how much NFL coaches dislike fumbles, if Crowell's fumbles were the way the general public were reacting to them do you even think he'd still be on the field after the third fumble, much less the second?

Of course not, and the reason Crowell still earned the ball was because the fumbles in this game were a) unusual and b) not egregious issues. Crowell dropped a pitch that constituted his first fumble. It was a clear mishap that the runner pounced on and then got up and turned a potential loss into a two-yard gain. The second "dropped pitch" was a poor exchange with the quarterback.

When a veteran quarterback like Trent Green, who was the analyst on this game's broadcast, noted that the pitch was not good and made the play difficult on Crowell, it's worth taking into account. The third play was a true "forced fumble," on a run where the defensive back delivered a perfect hit on the ball with a downhill head start. This is the type of hit that would have jarred the ball loose in 9 out of 10 carries by any NFL runner.

If this wasn't the case, Cleveland wouldn't have put Crowell back into the lineup and given him the ball a few plays later -- especially not after the mistakes that occured with the pitches.

The typical water cooler conversation Monday morning was Isaiah Crowell looks good, but he needs to work on his ball security. This is outcome-oriented thinking that stems from seeing three fumbles in the Steelers' contest without understanding the context of the plays. Considering how much NFL coaches dislike fumbles, if Crowell's fumbles were the way the general public were reacting to them do you even think he'd still be on the field after the third fumble, much less the second?

Of course not, and the reason Crowell still earned the ball was because the fumbles in this game were a) unusual and b) not egregious issues. Crowell dropped a pitch that constituted his first fumble. It was a clear mishap that the runner pounced on and then got up and turned a potential loss into a two-yard gain. The second "dropped pitch" was a poor exchange with the quarterback.

When a veteran quarterback like Trent Green, who was the analyst on this game's broadcast, noted that the pitch was not good and made the play difficult on Crowell, it's worth taking into account. The third play was a true "forced fumble," on a run where the defensive back delivered a perfect hit on the ball with a downhill head start. This is the type of hit that would have jarred the ball loose in 9 out of 10 carries by any NFL runner.

If this wasn't the case, Cleveland wouldn't have put Crowell back into the lineup and given him the ball a few plays later -- especially not after the mistakes that occured with the pitches.
That gels with two weeks ago but what about last week?

But then they evaluated all the backs that week and decided Crowell was third string.

Hey, I own Crowell and want him to do well. He should stop talking to the media about playing time and sharing carries and ball security ASAP.

Sounds good on paper; but the coaches have talked ball security. So their concerns must be based on the total body of work they've seen, not simply on a single game.

@TonyGrossi: A little birdie told me don't be surprised if RB Terrance West gets the most carries today for #Browns. Just passing it along.

Just sold Tate and Crowell with Cam for A-Rod this week. Wow. What a headache. Can't believe I keep seeing this thread bumped to the top after so many weeks of irrelevance.

What is this BS? Guy was inactive for a bad attitude just 2 weeks ago and now is the feature back? Stop this crazy ride, I wanna get off.

I doubt west truly leads in carries, it will be more of a true 50/50 but who the hell is goal line rb is the real question since they cant pass down there with 5'2" WRs and practice squad TEs.

I drafted Peterson, Spiller, Rice, Moreno, and Ridley and thought I was strong at RB after the draft

Crowell in my starting lineup because my only other RBs are Asiata and Chris Johnson (and Peterson who Im still holding). Just hoping he can break a couple long runs on his limited carries.

Picked up Deangelo Williiams cause I was worried about Crowell but ended up going with Crowell. Looks like I should have stuck with Williams :(

Patience, boys. I'm not advocating anything in redraft leagues, but Crow will be a monster in that offense.

It might take awhile, but I do think Crow will be their feature back no later than the start of next season. You have to remember they signed Tate as a FA & drafted West in the 3rd. Sometimes you have to wait a bit for an undrafted FA to get his chance. Talent will eventually win out.

Patience, boys. I'm not advocating anything in redraft leagues, but Crow will be a monster in that offense.

It might take awhile, but I do think Crow will be their feature back no later than the start of next season. You have to remember they signed Tate as a FA & drafted West in the 3rd. Sometimes you have to wait a bit for an undrafted FA to get his chance. Talent will eventually win out.
I agree 100%. They are juggling things now, but I still believe Crowell is the most talented guy.

They are saving him for really big games. Not for Tampa Bay. He's kinda like a really secret weapon.

You can drop him for Judy Crowell or Rodney Crowell and see what happens. They got as much field time today as Isaiah.

I drafted Peterson, Spiller, Rice, Moreno, and Ridley and thought I was strong at RB after the draft

Crowell in my starting lineup because my only other RBs are Asiata and Chris Johnson (and Peterson who Im still holding). Just hoping he can break a couple long runs on his limited carries.
oof

Too bad he signed that 3yr deal with CLE. Would love to see what he could do with a team like BAL that would use him next year

Just thinking strategically here...but what if Shanahan's thought process is to continuously switch out West and Crowell each week with Tate there to lend a hand as needed. By using West a lot today, Shanahan has effectively rested Crowell and Tate for Thursday's matchup against Cincy. Making the opponent guess who to look out for, Shanahan isn't tipping his hat yet and can go either way. It's not FF friendly, but its a solid strategic move to keep others guessing what's coming next. So far, Tate is the only common denominator each week - even if his touches are about 12-15 each week.

(Not that the running game is all that spectacular right now with Mack out of the lineup, but it's enough to help keep the game rolling along.)

I think he's still a hold in deep bench leagues and certainly in keeper leagues. The big concern is the poor blocking since Mack went down. Still, I think they eventually give Crowell a longer look.

Just thinking strategically here...but what if Shanahan's thought process is to continuously switch out West and Crowell each week with Tate there to lend a hand as needed. By using West a lot today, Shanahan has effectively rested Crowell and Tate for Thursday's matchup against Cincy. Making the opponent guess who to look out for, Shanahan isn't tipping his hat yet and can go either way. It's not FF friendly, but its a solid strategic move to keep others guessing what's coming next. So far, Tate is the only common denominator each week - even if his touches are about 12-15 each week.

(Not that the running game is all that spectacular right now with Mack out of the lineup, but it's enough to help keep the game rolling along.)
You are overthinking it.....I put this on the NGTH list.

Crowell's definitely the talent of the group, but since he's found a spot in Shanny's doghouse, I'm loosening my grip for now.

In redraft I'm holding in leagues of 14+, dropped him and plan to keep an eye on in a couple 12ers with shallow benches. My guess is his owners will need Tate to get injured again for Crow to get fed and outshine West. I can only guess that Crowell has a bad attitude, is lazy at practice or dumb as rocks and unable to learn pass-pro. Ball security wouldn't put him this far behind average backs like Tate and West. My gut says he'll pan out late in the year so I'm still keeping an eye on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
One said:
Crowell's definitely the talent of the group, but since he's found a spot in Shanny's doghouse, I'm loosening my grip for now.

In redraft I'm holding in leagues of 14+, dropped him and plan to keep an eye on in a couple 12ers with shallow benches. My guess is his owners will need Tate to get injured again for Crow to get fed and outshine West. I can only guess that Crowell has a bad attitude, is lazy at practice or dumb as rocks and unable to learn pass-pro. Ball security wouldn't put him this far behind average backs like Tate and West. My gut says he'll pan out late in the year so I'm still keeping an eye on him.
I think he's a hold for dynasty but in re-draft only in deep leagues or those with deep benches. Other than that he's just a distraction at a time when other players might be worth snagging off the wire. His negatives that we know for sure exist are ball security and passing game deficiencies. It's possible his work ethic or character are issues based on his college history and the chatter coming out of the Browns organization regarding West outworking him at practice, though in the end that's all speculation.

• Smile
Reactions: One
One said:

I think he's a hold for dynasty but in re-draft only in deep leagues or those with deep benches. Other than that he's just a distraction at a time when other players might be worth snagging off the wire. His negatives that we know for sure exist are ball security and passing game deficiencies. It's possible his work ethic or character are issues based on his college history and the chatter coming out of the Browns organization regarding West outworking him at practice, though in the end that's all speculation.
Any link to the "West outworking him at practice" thing?

One said:

Let me look it up. That's news from last week. I'll edit this post if I find it. Probably was on Rotoworld.

Edit: Will post excerpt below to avoid too many quote bubbles. Found a local story discussing practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless West and or Tate really distinguish themselves, I'll be holding onto Crowell. He's one of the few players who can become a solid starting fantasy RB.

One said:

i think he might be referring to the comments from Pettine over the last week or so. pettine swears that performance in practice determines playing time in the games. since west got benched in week 6, he's been having great practices apparently and pettine acknowledged as much saying "he earned it" et al. the good news is that crowell has a chance to earn that time right back with some good practices.

West had team highs with 15 carries and 48 yards for a modest 3.2 average. Tate was held to 3 yards on 10 carries (0.3), and Crowell didn’t get an offensive snap.

“He had a very good week of practice, and I thought he responded,” Pettine said of West. “He ran tough. There were some plays that were blocked for 1 or 2 where he gained 5 or 6.

“When you looked at the tape and really compared the three we feel he’s really coming on. Looks very explosive in practice, and there were times out there game-wise, too.”

West’s longest carry was a 10-yarder, but his most important was a 2-yarder over right guard on fourth-and-1 at the 4-yard line. After West failed in short yardage in Jacksonville, it was significant that the coaches trusted him in this spot.

“I learned from my mistakes,” he said. “I was just trying to do too much. In the league, just gotta take what the defense gives you.

“I learned from that, it made me go straight downhill. Every yard counts.”

Two plays later West caught a 2-yard touchdown pass in the right flat. His final area of contribution was in pass protection, as he made the key blitz pickup that allowed Brian Hoyer time to find Taylor Gabriel for the winning touchdown.

The clutch plays had their beginning in Berea.

“I always took practice serious, but I had to take it to another level, like I’m playing in a game in practice,” West said. “They like what they’ve seen since I’ve been inactive. I learned from it, just move forward.”

For the year, West has 81 carries for 302 yards, a 3.7 average and two touchdowns.

NO CROW

Pettine said Monday that Crowell’s lack of playing time isn’t for disciplinary reasons.

“The kid’s in good standing with the team,” he said on a conference call.

Crowell got one carry and three offensive snaps against Oakland, then none Sunday. He leads the team with a 4.9 average and four touchdowns, totaling 256 yards on 52 carries.

Pettine said Crowell’s lost fumble and two dropped pitches against Pittsburgh on Oct. 12 aren’t the reason he’s not getting the ball.

“That’s not being held over his head, but it was a staff decision,” Pettine said. “We evaluate everything from A to Z — how they’re practicing, just a lot of factors that go into their play. I don’t want to get into projecting forward, but we assess each week who gives us the best chance to be successful and that’s who we roll with.”
Source: http://medinagazette.northcoastnow.com/2014/11/04/browns-notes-rookie-rb-terrance-west-rebounded-rough-stretch-practicing-hard-running-straight-ahead/

Hoping a couple L's change their tune on Crowell. Oak, Jax, and TB are gimmes, let's see what happens when they get thumped by Cincy with that 2ypc avg.

Hoping a couple L's change their tune on Crowell. Oak, Jax, and TB are gimmes, let's see what happens when they get thumped by Cincy with that 2ypc avg.
Uh...they lost to the Jags. Meanwhile, the Bengals are giving up 139.6 rushing yards per game (31st) and have given up 9 rushing TDs (tied for 28th).

Users who are viewing this thread